The Truth about Rondo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Re: Truth about Rondo

The headset doesn't bother me at all. He has to concentrate and tune out distactions to hit his shots. He's supposed to hit his FTs with 20,000 screaming waiving oboxious fans, so why not the Black Eyed Peas or the like. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

"unAmerican"?  What a jingoistic bunch o' nothing.  Rondo is a baller who has serious flaws in his game and a meaningless tournament will do nothing to address those particular weaknesses.  Running isn't necessarily a skill in and of itself unless you're Usain Bolt.  Making mid-range jumpers or foul shots with notable consistency is a necessary part of the professional basketball equation. They're what Rondo must work on if he is to actually become what he thinks he is now and what his coach expects. What's really un-American is the idea that you don't have to work hard to achieve success.  This country has been built on the sweat of its workers, not on the fun people might have playing a game.  If more athletes developed a true work ethic to match honest self-assessments of their performances, we'd see more competitive play in every sport.  The tireless worker will ultimately not only win but will never lose, no matter what the score because there wasn't anything more left to give in the effort.  Isn't that what fans want?  Win or lose, we want to see the effort.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Truth about Rondo:
    [QUOTE]"unAmerican"?  What a jingoistic bunch o' nothing.  Posted by painter[/QUOTE]

ain't it amazing how the:

un-american card

race card

social justice card

sexuality card

immigration card

are all being played more these days than black jack at mohegan sun?  it gets awfully tired to read about and hear this nonsense.  the "cards" are always marched out in this day and age to support untenable and meritless positions, ranging from banal to intellectually insane to seditious in nature.

it's sad to see how the constant droning of the sad sack media can influence the minds of the unimaginative.  ever notice how the more 'cards' get played the greater the incompetence of the wizard of oz (politicians) behind the scenes?

hey now, that matches up with the un-american card being played to try to cover up rondo's incompetence from 12-18 feet and the free throw line.  how about that.  still insane, but at least consistent.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

Don't forget the "work hard, lift yourself up by your own boot straps" card.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

I'm not even american, but hey, I still pay my taxes here. And yes, Rondo's FTs are really lame. And let's not talk about the JS or 3 pointers that every PG should be good at. He's just plain awful at those as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Truth about Rondo : Funny thing though is Rivers shouldn't have to say a thing.  Rhondo should be working tirelessly to improve his mid range jumper and his foul shooting.  If he really is dedicated to improving himself no one needs to tell him anything.  He just does it!!
    Posted by CASox[/QUOTE]

funny thing is that I have read that he has worked on it in the past and continues to do so...it just hasn't fully clicked yet

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Truth is we were just a few stops or a few baskets away from winning another championship. Most of you had them written off before the playoffs even started.

I love it that Rajon is trying to make team USA. How many of you would turn down an opportunity to play ball for your country.

This can only help Rajon. Very few athletes put in the time and effort of Larry Bird. Rondo is young and will continue to improve. He was much better in the '10 finals than in '08. What more can you expect?

If Ray or Paul made a couple more baskets in the fourth quarter, we would be champions again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parish-sez. Show Parish-sez's posts

Anyone that uses the Murdoch owned Herald as a reference , probably is a Glenda Beckler fan as well and has no idea what they're talking about.  

Rondo hurt the Celts in the finals last year.  The man guarding Rondo caused a lot of problems, that would be Koby.  And his foul shot was missing about 28%.  Rondo is a all star player during the regular season but during the playoffs he has some very signifant negatives, shooting the jumper and the foul shot.

Rondo hurt us in the playoffs? What planet do you come from? It is spelled Kobe, by the way. On thie subject of bball you don't know s h it from shineolla, no offense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

[QUOTE]Truth is we were just a few stops or a few baskets away from winning another championship. Most of you had them written off before the playoffs even started. I love it that Rajon is trying to make team USA. How many of you would turn down an opportunity to play ball for your country. This can only help Rajon. Very few athletes put in the time and effort of Larry Bird. Rondo is young and will continue to improve. He was much better in the '10 finals than in '08. What more can you expect? If Ray or Paul made a couple more baskets in the fourth quarter, we would be champions again.
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]

There's no doubt it will help Rondo's game play and decision making.  But how does not putting a focus on his shooting help improve his stroke?  Also keep in mind the guy is 24 and there will be more opportunities down the line to play for Team USA.  He only has a limited time to play alongside Paul, Ray, and KG.  In my eyes I think that improving his shooting before time runs out with the Big Three trumps playing for Team USA at this point in time.  The guy has another 7-10 good years in the NBA, so although it's an honor to play for our country he should've focused on shooting this season and played on Team USA later on in his career.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

[QUOTE]When you are representing your country, especially when playing for Coach K, you are doing something that is much greater than, "expanding your brand". What a bunch of pathetic, unAmerican nincompoops. How typical is it for these same naysayers to be dissing Rondo. diss all year long, diss during the offseason and not a sensible, knowledgeable post amongst your ilk. You posters are what makes basketball less than what it used to be. Well enuf of this, time to head to Sam's board for poster's who actually know a little something about the game.
    Posted by mulcogi[/QUOTE]

You talk about America and then head over to a board that is not open to everyone.

Also how could posters make basketball less then what it used to be?

Thank God you get to hang out with a bunch of intelligent posters over at Sams. Guys who never disagree and make basketball better!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsAZ. Show CeltsAZ's posts

I don't disagree with the premise that he needs more improvement on both his jumpers and his Fts, however I am not sure any of us truly know how much time he puts into these particualr aspects of his game.  That being said, I am not against criticism of any particular player, but can we atleast occasionally mix it up a bit?  This particular horse has been kicked to death.  If there were even newer, slightly different angles that would be fine, but instead it is the same ol sh_t every time. So long as Pud is around this is probably a pipe dream but thought I would throw it out there anyhow. <sigh>

Regardless of how much better we would have been had his jumpers and FT percentage been higher, that is not the sole reason we lost.  We simply did not box out, missed too many layups as well as wide open shots.

my .02

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I want him in the gym like Larry Bird or Ray Allen taking 500 perimeter shots every day.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

I want him hitting FTs. I don't want to turn him into AI taking a slew of perimeter shots.  All he need to do is hit his FTs.  He is so quick the mid range shot is gravy if he can drive and not worry about being fouled.

The notion LA just backed off him is vastly overstated. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kccorwin. Show kccorwin's posts

I agree with Croc. He still shot over 50% from the field during the season. Does anybody really know how much he has been practicing his FT and mid range jumper this off-season? I think it is great that he is playing for USA and can only make him better. I also read that he is working with Mark Price again so that should help. A lot of people were complaining about losing TA but he has the worse jumper I have ever seen. I cringe every time he takes a shot and I can't see him helping Memphis that much. I think Rondo will benefit a lot from have both Oneals on the team this year and I think having Robinson will keep him motivated to work on his shooting. I think he has improved each year and that's all anyone can ask of him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]There's no doubt it will help Rondo's game play and decision making.  But how does not putting a focus on his shooting help improve his stroke?  Also keep in mind the guy is 24 and there will be more opportunities down the line to play for Team USA.  He only has a limited time to play alongside Paul, Ray, and KG.  In my eyes I think that improving his shooting before time runs out with the Big Three trumps playing for Team USA at this point in time.  The guy has another 7-10 good years in the NBA, so although it's an honor to play for our country he should've focused on shooting this season and played on Team USA later on in his career.
    Posted by Driscoll92587[/QUOTE]
    You are correct that time is running out on this team as constructed. Two more seasons are left to contend for another title and all players should be focused on that goal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

Watching USA basketball game (Blue against the white team)  SUNDAY 11:21 am  NBA tv

There goes Rondo again with another great feed.  And there he  goes again at the free throw line clanked two more freebies.  There he goes again  taking a three pointer that goes in.  Hmm. 

I wonder if this guy can walk and talk at the same time.  What is he doing out there?  He should be living in a gym all summer with the doors chained shut.

Why on earth would a young player that has holes in his game accept an invitation to Play for Team USA?  Oh that's right..he is looking to make a name for himself.  He is not a team guy and does not care about the Celtics and how he can impact the team.  He should have told USA  basketball that he cannot play because he needs to work on his shooting.  But Team USA told him he can play and still work on his shooting.  Hmmm.

Walk and talk...walk and talk... this is no so hard...

dboss

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Can we afford to have Rondo and Shack playing at the end of games together?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

Rondo is amazing at some things. He is improving in other areas. I don't see the need to tear down the guy who helps the team more than any other. Who helps the team more than Rondo? Rondo is among the top two on the team in assists, scoring, and rebounding. What do you want?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Can we afford to have Rondo and Shack playing at the end of games together?"

You are assuming that Rondo will not improve his free throw or jump shooting this year. I expect the free throw shooting to improve significantly. Why are you so stressed out about having one of the best point guards in the league on your team? You realize Rondo is playing great for Team USA so far don't you? It's the coaches job to combine the right people at the right time based on matchups. Admittedly Doc doesn't always do this right. There are lots of reasons the team lost the finals. Rondo was one of them but there was plenty of blame to go around. How about we let the season play out before you decide how it's going to end.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]"Can we afford to have Rondo and Shack playing at the end of games together?" You are assuming that Rondo will not improve his free throw or jump shooting this year. I expect the free throw shooting to improve significantly. Why are you so stressed out about having one of the best point guards in the league on your team? Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

1. rondo and shak will not finish games- that is silly- to the other poster.  jermaine can shoot FT% and is younger and iwll be in there.

2. i have convinced myself for the last FOUR years that any season now rondo will increase his FT% and become the best guard in the game- until he actually does it, he's a joke.  like in the finals- 30% or whatever it was.  it's incompetence when we need him the most.  doesn't matter if he goes 70% for some of the playoffs and then 20% for the rest- he should be taking it seriously all season long at 70+% but this never seems to happen.

3. like above, rondo can't be the best or even close among pg's in the leauge if he's dead last in the FT and corking open j's when the team needs him to do so.  it dosn't matter if he can hit an occasional 3- he shoots sub 30% out there.  it doesn't matter if he can unfurl a trip dub sometimes or make a spectacular play.

there are just simply no previous elite pg's in the history of the game who couldn't shoot at the stripe.  just like there are no ice cream trucks with guys driving them allergic to a burst of cold air.  it doens't work like that.  it can't. 

or, name me some elite pg's who shoot a flat 60% from the line if they're lucky.  nobody has been able to help me out there.  kidd, magic, parker are all not the answers to that.  if they shot low early on, they fixed it fast.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The truth is that Rondo is young enough to improve, has done so every year, and will undoubtedly improve this year as well.  To blame a game seven loss on Rondo like some posters are doing ignores the fact that the Celtics aren't even in the finals without him.  And next year will hinge on how much he can continue to make his teammates better.  Even with his shortcomings, he is still one of the best point guards in the world, yes the WORLD, not the NBA.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]....That might not get much better, cuz whatever he doing aint working..  He did good on ft's against Miami n 2st round, and then after one miss, he went downhill, Its all mental at this point, as he showed he can do it, and then regressed again...someone has to stay on him about his mechanics which are horrible, and his jumpshot, he releases on the way down...another horrible habit, which should be an easy fix,
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

you have it right there my friend. 

the lad has plenty of physical coordination skills as evidenced by the ability to hit crazy trick shots that he IS clearly interested in- and I'm not here saying that they are just silly- they are in fact difficult and are part of the havoc machine that rondo embodies when his game is "on".  however, the mundane freebie and the oh so humdrum open jumpers don't have that same allure to him and hence no mastery.

you (if you know about shooting) can see that rondo's basic mechanics when he is hitting are GOOD ENOUGH for him to be respectable and i daresay 75% FT% and respectable jump shooter (to keep teams honest)- it's all waiting for him as soon a he wants to buckle down and get consistent with it.

this only happens through hard work and repetitions.  rubbing sweat from mark prices' jersey onto your shooting hand won't do it. 

unfortunately, although rondo's discipline in this crucial facet of the game has "waited" through four years of lousy FT shooting and hesitant open jumper shooting, his contract extension did NOT wait.  this was a gigantic mistake on the part of ainge in talent appraisal and management. 

in fact, rondo becoming a starter at all while being a brickmaster free throw shooting and incomplete player was the first travesty in talent management.  only a few "pre-exalted" head cases who rarely eventually used to make it to greatness (read: complete and elite game skills) are ushered through the system on a magic carpet ride like that. 

so the cards are stacked against rondo- in that he has been a no-threats-starter for three years now and has never been yanked from a game even when he visibly tanked it on defense in a few games a year or two ago and has been so bad that we have acutally seen hack-a-rondo occasionaly. 

so what are the repurcussions if he doesn't get any better at the basics?  absolutley nothing now.  maybe he costs himself a max contract later.  but nothing is going to ring his bell into getting it done now but himself. 

this is what i miss from the old days.  guys just had to get solid (and fast!) before they were handed the keys- or they didn't get them and were traded around the league, didn't make big $ and eventually wore out their welcome no matter how quick and flashy they were.  not so much any more.

a modern example of this was tony parker- came into the league with a quakey J and a weak FT but the spurs told him, and probably tortured him into getting those things to an acceptable level HIS FIRST SUMMER- that's right- following his rook year- and parker has never looked back from keeping D's honest, he ain't great at shooting outside, but he's okay, and he's always been over 70% since his ROOKIE YEAR.

i'm really sorry we didn't do the same, becuase i think rondo could be better than parker ever was, and probably the best PG in the league the next five years, but not w/o the basics.

Sections
Shortcuts