The vaunted West is overrated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OC-CeltsFan. Show OC-CeltsFan's posts

Re: The vaunted West is overrated

In Response to Re: The vaunted West is overrated:
    [QUOTE]In Response to The vaunted West is overrated : You mention Dallas, Memphis, OKC, and the Lakers....... the Cs split with all 4 of them...hmmm.... I think they also lost to the Clippers, Houston, NO, Phoenix, and Denver.... yeah the West really stinks.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

Dude, I didnt say the West stinks.  I'm saying its overrated.  There are more good teams in the West...no argument.  My point is that besides LA none are championship caliber, which makes the road to the finals far easier for them, and clearly the East is getting stronger while the West is getting weaker.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The vaunted West is overrated : Hey if they win 6 more L.A. will have as many banners as Boston. 
    Posted by jtkl[/QUOTE]

I can feel your pain kid, but if you accept the inevitable it will be soooo much easier for ya when the Lake Show racks up #17 & 18 in the next two years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Product of Public education in California on full display..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OC-CeltsFan. Show OC-CeltsFan's posts

I doubt this kid has any education.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The vaunted West is overrated :Unlike you I don't disappear and hide after Celtic losses. 
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]
    Um... that's exactly what you did during the finals last year. I was here, and you were specifically called out for your disappearances after Celtics losses.

To your credit, you did give props to the Lakers after the series was over, however.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

[QUOTE]I think the T-Wolves should get those 5 titles back!!!     lol
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should take it up with David Stern and see if he will give them to the Timberwolves

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from paesan59. Show paesan59's posts

All this going back and forth over the number of championships poses this question. If OKC wins it all this year would that be considered their 2nd championship. After all they are the same Seattle team but are now located in OKC. Hmmmmm.  Faker fuzzy math counting =2, reality =1.
    Why was it when OKC won their series all the announcers, reporters, etc. said it was their first ever playoff series win. If you count the Faker way it is not the first ever series win because they won in Seattle. LMAO!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OC-CeltsFan. Show OC-CeltsFan's posts

Trolls, any answers??

I thought so.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The vaunted West is overrated : Dude, I didnt say the West stinks.  I'm saying its overrated.  There are more good teams in the West...no argument.  My point is that besides LA none are championship caliber, which makes the road to the finals far easier for them, and clearly the East is getting stronger while the West is getting weaker.
    Posted by OC-CeltsFan[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

This is the very point.....and it goes all the way back to the '80's......the era of "The Big Four"......LA out West....Boston, Philly, Milwaukee (later Detroit) in the East...this phrase was used consistently throughout the decade by the media....they made up the term, not the fans.....the Lakers were a great team....so were these teams that made up the East...the competition was so much tougher in the East during that time...and that was freely acknowledged by the media and the players (including many Laker players who were quoted as saying so at the time).....I have yet to see a response from a Laker fan in addressing this issue....except for a couple of young trolls who basically stick their tongue out and go nya nya!!  ......that is one reason the Lakers have made it to the finals more often....and that is taking nothing away from them....it started back in the '60's when the Lakers main foe (St Louis Hawks) was moved to the East so that an expansion team (Phoenix) could be put into the West....this is true of all of team sports where strength of conference or division is taken into account....why is it so difficult to understand.....or at least accept?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ControllerMod. Show ControllerMod's posts

[QUOTE]All this going back and forth over the number of championships poses this question. If OKC wins it all this year would that be considered their 2nd championship. After all they are the same Seattle team but are now located in OKC. Hmmmmm.  Faker fuzzy math counting =2, reality =1. Why was it when OKC won their series all the announcers, reporters, etc. said it was their first ever playoff series win. If you count the Faker way it is not the first ever series win because they won in Seattle. LMAO!!!
    Posted by paesan59[/QUOTE]

Its the team name change that is the problem. If a team foregoes its past by changing its name, then they are saying that they want a new start and no connection to the past glory (or non-glory) of their team. Lakers belong to the group that kept their name like the Giants and Athletics in baseball and the Colts in football. OKC is like the Ravens, the Brewers, and other name changers. Those that keep a link to their past should be able to celebrate it and count it. I do think that the LA Lakers should have individual banners for each of the Minneapolis Lakers championships, but that is Dr. Buss's decision. The general public and national press count the Lakers' 16 championships. Only in Boston where their record is threatened, do you see posts like the ones here. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The vaunted West is overrated : Its the team name change that is the problem. If a team foregoes its past by changing its name, then they are saying that they want a new start and no connection to the past glory (or non-glory) of their team. Lakers belong to the group that kept their name like the Giants and Athletics in baseball and the Colts in football. OKC is like the Ravens, the Brewers, and other name changers. Those that keep a link to their past should be able to celebrate it and count it. I do think that the LA Lakers should have individual banners for each of the Minneapolis Lakers championships, but that is Dr. Buss's decision. The general public and national press count the Lakers' 16 championships. Only in Boston where their record is threatened, do you see posts like the ones here. 
    Posted by ControllerMod[/QUOTE]

Agree with the major premise, disagree with the example.
    It should be the OWNER who determines whether or not they want a connection to the past or not.  Jack Kent Cooke bought the team from MN and wanted NOTHING to do with the past........should be over and done.  He kept the players (most notably Elgin Baylor) but refused to acknowledge the past.  Who is Buss to usurp this decision?  Buss bought the team in 1979!  Why did he wait until 2001 to "honor" the MN lakers and acknowledge their titles?  Well, as many people old enough to know (NOT the kids who post here), and who live outside of LA know, the answer is simple..............they were too far away from the Celtics, and Buss wanted to pass them in his lifetime, so he TOOK them.  One banner and no retired numbers is an embarassment!  Red would never do that!  One day when Buss is dead, the lakers from LA may pass the Celtics on their own merit.  On that day, they will take the banner down in Staples Center, and the poor folks who won 5 titles in MN will once again fade into obscurity.

It's a very sad and sordid documentary, actually.  And many people (even some out here) know this!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OC-CeltsFan. Show OC-CeltsFan's posts

You make a good, arguable point ControllerMod.  But, at the end of the day, there's no such thing as "general public" acknowledgement or "general press" consensus.  The only thing that matters is the number of championship banners that hang in your arena.

So..remind me, how many championship banners?  Why will no Troll answer this question?  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

....very well put Hedley.....!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

[QUOTE]You make a good, arguable point ControllerMod.  But, at the end of the day, there's no such thing as "general public" acknowledgement or "general press" consensus.  The only thing that matters is the number of championship banners that hang in your arena. So..remind me, how many championship banners?  Why will no Troll answer this question?  

Answer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lJ7F4mXsmQ

Add in our latest...you get 16!

You fail!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OC-CeltsFan. Show OC-CeltsFan's posts

You still trail bay far.  Deal with it!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

[QUOTE]You still trail bay far.  Deal with it!!

Can't, having to still cope with this!! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO4HmYS_X_Y

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Then, at least answer the question.......why did the city wait 43 years to put up a single banner....? ....and why are no numbers retired?  .......something doesn't make sense waiting over 4 decades before recognizing the titles won in the '50's.....do you have an opinion...? if so, please explain and I'll be more than willing to listen...and please remember.....my belief is that the fans are ok to celebrate the Lakers' 16 titles....I've never wavered on that point....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

[QUOTE]Then, at least answer the question.......why did the city wait 43 years to put up a single banner....? ....and why are no numbers retired?  .......something doesn't make sense waiting over 4 decades before recognizing the titles won in the '50's.....do you have an opinion...? if so, please explain and I'll be more than willing to listen...and please remember.....my belief is that the fans are ok to celebrate the Lakers' 16 titles....I've never wavered on that point....
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

All of this is so irrelevant it is not even worth the discussion. The Lakers were moved from Minneapolis to Los Angeles. The team was not disbanded, and LA was not granted an expansion team. There is nothing anyone can do to change history, or decide whih championships count or don't count. It does not matter in even the slightest manner who hung what banner, or when they were hung. You can't rewrite history to suit your feeble need to hold onto a record that is being threatened. 

The same history books that hold the statisitical categories that count all of the Celtics titles are the very same books that count all the Lakers titles. The Lakers history will follow them where ever they choose to call home. You Boston guys can cry a river, but At the end of the day, your deperate attempts to pretend to change history will fall on deaf ears everywhere but a small group of childish men in Boston's fanbase. 

It just simply does not matter what you people think, or what you intend to count or not count. The history is what it is, and you will have to learn to live with it. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

so, you are not going to discuss the 43 year issue of why the titles didn't matter to Cook or Buss or the city until the Lakers started closing in on the Celtics?...you won't discuss why they suddenly became a huge part of franchise history?  ....seriously?.....you are not going to address this issue?.....ok by me.....in fact, your not addressing it speaks volumes....so then, lets get on to the next topic..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

The fact is that the Lakers' franchise has won 16 titles, period. Whether you want to recognise one city and not the other is your business. but that does not change the fact the FRANCHISE has won them. Soon this FRANCHISE, currently in Los Angeles, will soon win number 17.  If they move to San Diego and win one there it will be number 18 for the FRANCHISE. If and when the Thunder win one it will be the first for the Thunder (because they changed their name) but the second for the FRANCHISE.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

[QUOTE]so, you are not going to discuss the 43 year issue of why the titles didn't matter to Cook or Buss or the city until the Lakers started closing in on the Celtics?...you won't discuss why they suddenly became a huge part of franchise history?  ....seriously?.....you are not going to address this issue?.....ok by me.....in fact, your not addressing it speaks volumes....so then, lets get on to the next topic..
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

It is only an issue to you folks who are watching your bragging rights go into the toilet. I really don't care about the record, it is statistical meaningless drivel. What I do care about is feeble minded people trying to change history because banners weren't hung to your liking. I feel like I am dealing with grown men stuck in a state of childish delusion. If there were no banners hanging there now, you still can't change the history of the franchise. Nobody but a few in Boston will ever make an issue of this, I wonder why?

Those titles have been of the same importance of the Lakers franchise as they have always been. They happened, it was a long time ago. The Lakers put those banners up while they were still a pretty far way back of the Celtics. The issue is now yours, because the Lakers have really closed the gap. This assumption you make that these titles have all of a sudden become something of the utmost importance is weak sauce dreamed up in your own imagination. 

Your perception of the past or present owners attitude toward those titles means nothing. They can't just be made to dissapear because of some whining from Boston. The titles happened any way you want to paint it. The record books can't and will not be amended to suit you.

Cry a river dude, nothing will change, ever. The Lakers win another title, and the Celtics will be caught, deal with it like a grown up. Those titles are in the book, banner, or no banner. You can't make them dissapear with a million hours of rationaling jibber jabber. There is nothing to address, it is what it is. Grow up!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]so, you are not going to discuss the 43 year issue of why the titles didn't matter to Cook or Buss or the city until the Lakers started closing in on the Celtics?...you won't discuss why they suddenly became a huge part of franchise history?  ....seriously?.....you are not going to address this issue?.....ok by me.....in fact, your not addressing it speaks volumes....so then, lets get on to the next topic..
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

NO, he won't!  I have him on ignore, like the rest of them.  They can claim whatever they want, but Buss has not done enough to recognize the 5 titles won by MN.........that is undeniable.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The vaunted West is overrated : NO, he won't!  I have him on ignore, like the rest of them.  They can claim whatever they want, but Buss has not done enough to recognize the 5 titles won by MN.........that is undeniable.
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

You think Buss has not done enough to recognize the 5 titles from Minnesota, and that is your prerogative. Heck you might even find plenty of people to agree with you. 

The problem with this assertion of yours is that it does not matter. The Lakers organization won those titles, they are in the books, and they count toward the frachise total whether you feel Buss treated them with enough reverence or not. The attitude of the current or past owners toward those titles means absolutely nothing, because they are part of the history, and will stay part of the history. Your opinion of the behavior current owner toward those titles does nothing to change this FACT.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Hey Duke - did you ever think having an opinion on something would cause this many idiots to respond??

Puppets, that's what they are - I can tell you when they will come out of the woodwork.

Watch this one -
    Phil Jackson is the most over-rated coach in NBA history!!

Here they come!!

Sections
Shortcuts