The vaunted West is overrated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Re: The vaunted West is overrated

I know Hedley......it's funny in a way....I realize that the franchise owns 16 titles and that the city ignored the first 5 until their team got closer to us....the one point that never gets addressed by Laker fans is that all 5 titles occurred before the shot clock era which introduced modern basketball to the NBA....before that the game was a different beast and the reason for the change was that the league was floundering and in peril....so since the modern era of basketball began...the Celtics have won 17 titles and no one is close...interesting huh..?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OC-CeltsFan. Show OC-CeltsFan's posts

So the so-called greatest coach of all time Phil Jackson wants to split hairs when other teams win titles, such as:

'99 Spurs - "well...it was a lockout season, so there should be an asterik"
    '94-'95 Rockets - "well...MJ was on sabbatical, so there should be an asterik"

yet, the L.A. Lakers franchise won't hang championship banners for the 5 that were won by the Minneapolis Lakers.  BUT, their fans are adamant that they are theirs and count equally as any others. 

It's America and this is a free country.... so go ahead and celebrate the 5 even though your franchise knows better and doesn't celebrate them. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

In Response to Re: The vaunted West is overrated:
    So the so-called greatest coach of all time Phil Jackson wants to split hairs when other teams win titles, such as: '99 Spurs - "well...it was a lockout season, so there should be an asterik" '94-'95 Rockets - "well...MJ was on sabbatical, so there should be an asterik" yet, the L.A. Lakers franchise won't hang championship banners for the 5 that were won by the Minneapolis Lakers.  BUT, their fans are adamant that they are theirs and count equally as any others.  It's America and this is a free country.... so go ahead and celebrate the 5 even though your franchise knows better and doesn't celebrate them. 
    Posted by OC-CeltsFan

They happened whether you want to accept them or not. They are in the record books, and they can't be erased because you guys are getting all wobbly in the knees over your record be threatened. The history is written, and that bell can't be unrung.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

So the so-called greatest coach of all time Phil Jackson wants to split hairs when other teams win titles, such as: '99 Spurs - "well...it was a lockout season, so there should be an asterik" '94-'95 Rockets - "well...MJ was on sabbatical, so there should be an asterik" yet, the L.A. Lakers franchise won't hang championship banners for the 5 that were won by the Minneapolis Lakers.  BUT, their fans are adamant that they are theirs and count equally as any others.  It's America and this is a free country.... so go ahead and celebrate the 5 even though your franchise knows better and doesn't celebrate them. 
    Posted by OC-CeltsFan

That's why I call him phoney Phil!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OC-CeltsFan. Show OC-CeltsFan's posts

In Response to Re: The vaunted West is overrated : They happened whether you want to accept them or not. They are in the record books, and they can't be erased because you guys are getting all wobbly in the knees over your record be threatened. The history is written, and that bell can't be unrung.
    Posted by Give-in-to-it

Indeed the history is written.  You can make up your cute little banners, t-shirts, or hats to say sixteen, but pick up any book, magazine, or almanac and it says that the Los Angeles Lakers have won 11 championships, which matches the number of championship banners in Staples Center.  Thanks for mentioning the history books.  Nice talkin to you. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

What really gets me is the fact that we are on a Celtic board and talking amongst ourselves....many of us have become friends (literally).....I can see if we were all over on the Laker board taking pot shots....but we are just here discussing our opinions....some of the trolls say we are beside ourselves as the Lakers get closer..to those I would say.....look yourself in the mirror.....talk about being paranoid...this is a C E L T I C forum.....you are not going to change our minds folks (I know there probably aren't any fans reading today since the Lakers lost....they will show up if we lose tonight, that's for sure)

They are right about the history books....the Laker franchise has 16 titles....the history books also tell us that the Celtics lead 9-3.....I'll take it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Tell me again how the Grizzlies and Thunder are any better than the Bulls?  Or the Hawks, apparently...

And tell me how the Lakers and Mavs are any better than the Heat and Celtics?

That's right - COMBINED, the final eight are approximately equal

Just like any normal distribution would show.  Over a long enough sample size, both conferences should be approximately .500 because great teams will eventually be distributed evenly between the two conferences, especially in the free agency era

But whatever makes Lakers fans feel better about themselves.  Way to cost Kobe his ankle by taking 6 games to defeat Chris Paul and a group of players who couldn't even hit 60% of the open shots he created for them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

During a 6 year stretch, from 1955/56 through 1960/61 the Lakers made the playoffs 5 times, reaching the Western Conference Finals 3 times and the NBA Finals once, where they were swept by Boston.....their records during the 6 year run.....wait for it...

33-39
    34-38
    19-53
    33-39
    25-50
    36-43

180-262 .407 winning percentage....5 playoff appearances and 3 trips to the Conference Finals.....then, later on the Hawks shifted to the East so the West could receive the expansion Suns...

the Lakers finally righted their ship over the next 5 years, playing winning basketball but winning no titles....then, in 66/67 they lost the conference championship again....after finishing the season 36-45....

the Western Conference was the weak sister of the East until the '90's.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

What.....? .....no posts...? ....why am I not surprised..?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OC-CeltsFan. Show OC-CeltsFan's posts

I have to correct you Duke.

It wasn't until the 00's that the West finally came out of the East's shadows, from 2000 until 2004.

Since then it's basically been back and forth but that won't last long because the power is definitely shifting back to the East.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I agree that the power is shifting......and, like I pointed out.....the West, beginning with the shot clock era, was almost always the weaker conference....the Lakers got to the finals three times with losing records.....?.....then in the '60's the Hawks go East while the West gets the expansion Suns?.....fast forward to the '80's and the era of "the Big Four".....Michael's Bulls destroy the West (imagine if Jordan hadn't taken up baseball...?) .....the Lakers finally gelled with the addition of Shaq ("Superman"......or "Batman" to Kobe's "Robin").....but the "three-peat was tainted by the Sacramento series.....a huge black eye for the league even before Tim Donaghy....anyone on this forum can look this all up in the basketball encyclopedia...

Sections
Shortcuts