The Win Now Strategy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

The Win Now Strategy

Lets say that the Celtics led by Stevens surprise by starting the season winning 40 to 50% of their games before Rondo's return in December. Yes, I know its a longshot, but it could happen.

That would be an indication that there is enough talent on the roster to forego the tank and rebuild strategy. If this is the case, then it makes sense for Danny to build a contender by trading redundant players and some of our many 1st round picks. Might as well leverage the hype around this upcomming draft.

So who would best complement a core of Rondo, Bradley and Jeff Green?

http://hotshotcharts.com/?utm_source=buffer&utm_campaign=Buffer&utm_content=buffer4b81b&utm_medium=linkedin

Look at that shot chart and then compare it to AB & JG. Avery shoots a higher percentage in the corners, but overall is better on the left side of the court. Jeff also is much more dominant on the left side of the court as well. Hawyward would fit in beautifully. He can shoot a high percentage outside from all around the arch but he can get on fire on that Right side. 

Imagine the simplest of plays where Jeff (as a PF) drives from left to right using his speed to get by his man. He could kick it to Avery in the left corner who can either take the shot or toss it to Hawyward on the right side of the arch.

Imagine those three on the court with a stretch big or two stretch bigs like KO & Sully or Fav and you could have a very dangerous offense.

Defensively, Hayward is another one of those wing guys who can guard and play multiple positions. He has long arms and at 6'8 he is a tough matchup for smaller guards. 

So what would it cost to get Hayward? He will be a RFA this upcomming year and its unclear if the Jazz are willing to match any QO. That team is in a very similar position to the Celtics. They have talent on their roster, but it is incomplete. They will likely be one of the bottom 5 teams and have taken on expiring contracts (from GSW) in order to get extra picks. Their coaching situation is uncertain with some analysts betting Ty Corbin will be the first coach fired this year. We also know that they were very high on Kelly Olynyk in the last draft and we know that Sully & Burke grew up playing together which could be valuable for a team. The Jazz fans are also high on Alec Burks who has been sort of burried at the 2 and could be a future starter for them.

A simple trade could look something like this:

BOS: Hayward

UTA: Brooks, Sullinger, Nets 2014 1st round pick, (maybe Bogans to make the $$ work)

Or (and I anticipate a lot of pushback on this idea) what if we could make a mega deal to get either Favors or Kanter. Both are likely untouchable, but they thought the same thing about Garnett. 

(lets assume that you can package picks like this. If not, then assume it happens as two separate trades)

BOS: Hayward, Favors

UTA: Brooks, Sullinger, Olynyk, Celtics 2014 1st round pick, Nets 2014 1st pick, Nets 2016 pick maybe even Nets 2018 pick which is probably the most valuable.

So multi first round picks and young talent for two blue chippers. Probably not happening, but that could be the piece to make us a contender in the East for years.

Celtics Roster:

PG: Rondo, Pressey, Crawford

SG: Bradley, Hayward, Crawford

SF: Green, Hayward, Wallace

PF: Bass, Green, Humphries

C: Favors, Faverani, Humphries

Lineups could shift around, but we could certainly go small at the end of games with Rondo, Bradley, Hayward, Green and Favors. Thats five guys who can take it to the hoop, stretch the floor and defend.

I leave you with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB8gNTA-Tz4

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: The Win Now Strategy

I guess the only thing is the matter of playing all of these guys. Bradley, Favors and Hayward would all need to get paid next year. I'm thinking AB and Hayward would be fairly affordable. If we give AB Tony Allen money and pay Hayward in the $6-8M range, we could give Favors the bigger deal he will likely demand. This just means that Crawford is let go next season and so is Hump & Bogans.

I just like the idea of: Rondo, Bradley, Hayward, Green, Favors as a core 

with: Bass, Lee, Faverani, Pressey, Crawford, Humphries, Wallace off the bench.

If this trade happens before the deadline, I think that we could squeeze into the playoffs. If we get in the playoffs, think of it this way, we would have a chance to do more damage than we did last year. We could upset. If not, then we continue to add pieces and let our core develop. Outside of Miami, Chicago, Indianna, Brooklyn and New York the conference is wide open and we could definitely get the 6th seed with a shot at upsetting.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Celtics will go 5-14 in their first 19 games.

And there will be no Hayward or Favors.

Ainge will not trade Sully and Olynyk this season.

You have the most robotic responses. I understand YOUR predictions for this season. Put that aside for one second and think about how Hayward and possibly Favors could instantly rebuild us into a condender. Its a complete pipedream, but endulge me for once!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Fierce weren't you all gun-ho about Aldridge? I think Favors is better than Aldridge and if Rondo could dish to a Favors, Hayward, Green or a cutting AB ... that is enough 3 point shooting and scoring to make us relevent again.

Am I wrong?

DA probably won't trade our two young bigs, but he would without hesitation if Favors comes back in the deal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

You're wrong if you think Favors is better than aldridge.  You said let you know.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hondorondo. Show hondorondo's posts

I would love for the C's to get Hayward but I don't want to see Sully or KO traded. You may say that we can't have the cake and eat it too but are there other packages we could trade. For example, if Rondo comes back and is his old self, could we offer come combination of Bradley, Bass, Lee and picks to make it work? Just MHO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to hondorondo's comment:

I would love for the C's to get Hayward but I don't want to see Sully or KO traded. You may say that we can't have the cake and eat it too but are there other packages we could trade. For example, if Rondo comes back and is his old self, could we offer come combination of Bradley, Bass, Lee and picks to make it work? Just MHO.

Hey, fair enough. I just think AB is a valued commodity. However, with Rondo, Hayward, Green, Olynyk & Sully ... thats not a bad lineup. We would be fairly big at the 2 and the 3. We wouldn't have AB's lockdown defense, but certainly Hayward is an above average defender. Plus, we would still have Courtney Lee off the bench who also an above average defender, though not Avery-like.

Simply put, I imagine the long arms of Rondo, Green and Hayward paired with the on-the-ball aggressiveness of Avery creating a lot of steals on defense leading to transition offense.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to cole-ely's comment:

You're wrong if you think Favors is better than aldridge.  You said let you know.

Thats fair. One is seven years older than the other and been a starter for multiple years. So yeah, Aldridge may be better than Favors today, but I think their careers will ultimately have similar production. 

Am I wrong on that?

;)

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to R9R's comment:

[QUOTE]

Fierce weren't you all gun-ho about Aldridge? I think Favors is better than Aldridge and if Rondo could dish to a Favors, Hayward, Green or a cutting AB ... that is enough 3 point shooting and scoring to make us relevent again.

Am I wrong?

DA probably won't trade our two young bigs, but he would without hesitation if Favors comes back in the deal.

Aldridge is already a 2-time All-Star and you're comparing him to Favors?

Right now Olynyk has the potential to be better than both Aldridge and Favors.

[/QUOTE]

WOW!

That is bold. I'm so surprised how high everyone is on Olynyk. I think he'll be a good player, but I'm not so sure he can be elite. I think Favors can be elite. Favors is much more of a two way player than Olynyk, though Kelly does have the outside shot. If you could somehow keep KO and have Favors and Olynyk play together, that would be quite interesting.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Seriously, it's looking like Ainge got the steal of the 2012 and 2013 draft and you want them traded already?

[/QUOTE]

No, no, no. I am not one of these crazy posters who talk in absolutes about a player needing to be traded (i.e. Rondo). I like both Sully and Kelly and they could turn out to be good players. I think Favors is an upgrade over Sully considering his athleticism, size and defensive ability.

Listen, I just really want Hayward. As a minor Jazz fan, it seemed like he was one of the few guys with a sense of urgency to win games the last two years to get into the playoffs. I think that team really suffered not having a good point guard, playing lazy Al too much and with a bad coach.

I mean, Jefferson made a decision: Win or Get Paid and he chose to go to Charlotte to continue stat-pumping and get paid. Hayward is a winner. He and Stevens willed their team to succeed in the NCAA. I think Hayward has the outside skillset that our team desperately needs without being a defensive liability like Ray was. In an ideal world, I go to the Jazz and say listen, this is a special draft. You're going to have to pay Favors and pay Kanter soon. Hayward will command some money and we will be putting in a sizable QO for you to match. How about we give you a scorer in Marshon Brooks and a chance at a franchise altering player with our pick? I think that is more than enough to get Hayward. Maybe Ainge tries to sell it with the Nets 2014 pick, and allows them to upgrade to our pick by taking Wallace's contract for one of their expiring (like Marvin Williams). 

I think a guard rotation of Rondo, Avery, Hayward and Lee could be special. Brooks and Crawford could become a great scorers, but their 1:1 style may not fit into the offensive scheme that Stevens will implement.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I still want Hayward. He just would make too much sense for this team. I might even give up Rondo for the kid.

I would do:

BOS: Burke, Hayward, Biedrins, 2014 first

UTA: Rondo, Brooks, Bass

Utah could absolutely make noise with Rondo, Favors, Kanter. Next year they'll have salary to go add some key role players to that core and sign Favors and extend Rondo.

Celtics come away with a tough-nosed young PG in Burke who's played with Sully, excellent shooting in Hayward and another pick in this big draft.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

R9R,

Take it easy with trading proposals. We haven't seen the team play, as of yet.

Danny will do trades this season only to balance the roster and to get ready for FA market of 2014, IMHO. Unless, of course, he gets opportunity to grab a star-level player.

AK

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to sinus007's comment:

R9R,

Take it easy with trading proposals. We haven't seen the team play, as of yet.

Danny will do trades this season only to balance the roster and to get ready for FA market of 2014, IMHO. Unless, of course, he gets opportunity to grab a star-level player.

AK

I agree with you ... Danny won't make a move until something lucrative presents itself and that almost never happens in the beginning of the season (except for Harden). And I also agree that this team will suprise with some flashes of talent.

However, I think its fun to try to and predict what could happen **somepoint in the next year** to make us a better team. I just have this feeling that there's something there with Utah. We are both in very similar situations. Seems like a trade could be done to make one team better with current players and the other team better with future assets. I also think there's something special with Hayward. He has that grit&grind that almost reminds me of PP. Now, I don't think that Hayward will ever be what PP was, but he is just an interesting swingman who is a deadly outside shooter, can get to the hoop, plays gritty defense and has sneaky athletic ability. He also has the balls to take and make a game winner. I think he'd be sneaky good playing with Avery and Jeff. Ideally, you keep Rondo and play small with Jeff at the 4 or big with Avery off the bench and Hayward as a 2 guard. Realistically Utah may only be interested if Rondo is part of a bigger package. If that's the case, Rondo is certainly worth Hayward, Burke and a 1st, especially if you throw in a prospect like M. Brooks who still has two years left on his rookie deal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

and btw, why can't posters add value to the topic of the post instead of arguing the validity of the conversation?

I'm not propsing ludacris ideas like Bass for Aldridge ... these trade scenerios are realistic and have rationale beind them.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

The only thing we have a chance of winning is the lottery.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

not giving away our 2014 first rd pick. let them play first or make some minor trades. 

ainge doesnt need to trade sully,oly and rondo right now.

Sections
Shortcuts