There is only one reason for the slump

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: There is only one reason for the slump

In Response to Re: There is only one reason for the slump:
    In Response to Re: There is only one reason for the slump : Nice post. Blocked shots create turnovers which create opportunities to run the ball. Good defense creates offense.
    Posted by Kirk6

not very much of it.  perkins historically has averaged 1.6 swats.  arguably, davis does more with "defense creating offense" in rotating on help D, taking charges and other hustle that is infectious and breeds enthusiam among his teamates. 

although davis doesn't block a lot of shots, he changes many other things for the opponent on defense, he clogs passing lanes unexpectedly and gets back to his man, creates a lot of confusion, deflected balls and turnovers and averages a steal a game.

and that doesn't cover the fact that he can and will body out any big guy sent his way, he uses his big asse and legs to get them off their sweet spot- howard, bynumb, duncan have all regularly been bossed around by davis in the post.  and since he HAS the respect of the referees, he is not as foul prone as perkins either.

i don't think it's justified to lump davis in with krstic as "can't defend the post".  krstic is below average but probably servicable in his time on the floor if we get shak back.  davis on the other hand, holds his own against much bigger people.  not a superior rebounder but does a wide variety of off-stat-sheet things that few if any other players HIS SIZE in the league are capable or willing to do.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: There is only one reason for the slump : This from the guy who was making fun of those against the trade?BTW never would have made it oo the finals without Rondo. You can't accept that though.
    Posted by jtkl

Your opinion is they would never have made it to the finals without Rondo, my opinion is that any number of other point guards along with the actual BIG 3 gets them to the finals.

As I have tried to use as an example or analogy in other threads, try to reduce it to a report card of a bunch of middle school kids:

Rondo does not even lead the league in assists (though most would tell you that he averages at least a dozen more assists than anyone else)... so he gets an A in assists

Rondo has a very small lead in a league lead in steals - so he gets an A there...

He is the absolute worst shooter in the league - most point guards view making jumpers as part of the their job - Rondo gets an F and his peers do it as part of their job - they get As and Bs... Rondo thinks making jumpers is something that his teammates do but not something that his job description includes.

He avoids trying to finish so that he does not have to go to the free throw line - Rondo gets an F, his peers get As and Bs

He thinks that the 3 point shot was outlawed with the last CBA, though most of his peers recognize it as a way to stick a dagger in the heart of their opponent - Rondo gets an F, his peers get As and Bs - when entire teams shoot over 40% and your point guard, the one that should be shooting it pretty close to if not higher than the team average, does whatever he can to avoid shooting them can go weeks at a time without taking one and people can somehow keep a straight face and say that as long as he does his job and plays his role, it does not matter if he makes 3s....  it is as if someone says here are the top 10 things you need to do in your job but of course if you never do any of the top 3 things, you will be considered elite......

Rondo thinks that roller skating is much more difficult than shooting free throws so he works on the former - Rondo gets an F in free throw shooting, and his peers get As and Bs.....

so when you add it all up Rondo is a D student and his peers are at least as good if not better but somehow........

the Cs could not get to the finals without Rondo......lmfao.......  give me any number of a dozen others and they are still in the finals and in my opinion win the title last year......

Here is how it goes, say it enough and it is true - the sky is pink, the sky is pink, the sky is pink, the sky is pink.... so we of course would not have gotten to the finals without Rondo..... oh wait, the sky is blue......give me Devin Harris and the Cs win the title last year.   Pink is kind of like blue...... but of course the actual truth really s ucks unless of course you are like OJ and Roger Clemens and have completely convinced yourself that what you think happened actually happened especially if you keep telling yourself............  history is not what actually happened, it is one's perception of what actually happened......  with Rose the Cs win the title last year, with any number of other point guards they win the title last year.... but of course on BDC it was the Lakers length and the refs when in reality if they had even a remotely average shooting point guard they would have won going away..... but of course.... we all believe what we believe...

Cannot get to the finals without Rondo - a player that nobody guards in the half court offense, he is doubled off, misses every jumper he takes, cannot get to the rim - unless the coach of the other team takes turns each night who saying who will or will not beat them, tonight Ray gets 35 - after tonight he gets NONE, when all is said and done - Rondo broke a record for foul shooting, was completely ignored in the half court offense, made sure that other players on his own team were unable to score, etc. 

Then after the playoffs and seeing that your point guard basically could not make a shot more than 15 feet away and that the Lakers defense was packed into the paint... it is somehow the Lakers defense and not the worst shooter in the league who happens to have the ball in his hands most of the time... pounding the ball into the floor, causing 3 second violations, causing 24 second violations, and causing his own coach to say "his inability to shoot really hurt us in the playoffs"......... facts?  yes.... your perception of reality.... not a chance... the sky is pink, the sky is pink, the sky is pink...... nope the sky is blue and with a blu sky the Cs lost a title last year because of Rondo, not in spite of Rondo's skills.    I never hit snooze because I know I need to wake up....  i am awake..... but obvoiusly most are not.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

The only problem with this thread is that many of the same people who agreed in the thread that said the problem was offense and then who posted the problem was perimeter defense by Rondo and then posted that the problem was that Doc wasn't giving the starters enough rest and that Green wasn't getting enough minutes.....are now on this thread agreeing the problem is interior defense.  

That means the real issue is multi-faceted.  Its not a simple problem and its going to take them some practice time with Shaq and JON back + Green/West/Krstic/BBD all back into their roles (especially BBD back in his backup role not playing so many minutes and shooting so much).

The good news is that these are solvable issues.  Rest and practice with a full first and second team will put them back on track.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

i think the players can tell us better as to what is going on... this article gives some clueshttp://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/03/30/irish-coffee-celtics-should-stop-making-excuses/ sounds like Ray is lost because of the lack of chemistry and so on.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

i think the players can tell us better as to what is going on... this article gives some clues http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/03/30/irish-coffee-celtics-should-stop-making-excuses/ sounds like Ray is lost because of the lack of chemistry and so on.
    Posted by Ortiz123

that's precious.  ray was having close to a career year shooting % ages for nearly all of the year WITH NO PERKINS and suddenly is lost.  maybe he's lost all his looks because he's dependent on being fed by a despondent perkbuddy who has usurped the ball lately?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

It is a slump. All teams since the beginning of sports goes through them. It's rare that a team with such talent doesn't come out of it. They will. I hope the recovery starts against San Antonio tonight.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Shaq Shaq Shaq without him this team has a hole in it.  Kristic on the second unit would actually score easily and be a plus.  Without Shaq we are not constructed as the trades intended. My concern how could these moves be made without assurances that Shaq was coming back in some reasonable time frame. Of course it has not happened so we have to assume DA made an incredible mistake.  We can't win without Shaq and to assume we can with JON is real leap.   

This is going to play out before the playoffs as Shaq's absence newswise speaks volumes about his condition.  This guy may not be coming back.  I hope I am wrong.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

only reason for slump = meh waiting for playoffs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from victorlee1234. Show victorlee1234's posts

The only reason for the slump is the fact that the Celtics have been outscored by their opponents.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Watch and observe, on offense and defense, the 'Big 3' have tired legs, period! 

Sections
Shortcuts