They cannot close out games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: They cannot close out games

In Response to Re: They cannot close out games:
    [QUOTE]here is another question. are we going to see dallas in finals? chances are no.
    Posted by PierceIsTheTruth[/QUOTE]

Dont be so sure. They are a different team with Chandler in the middle and when Dirks been healthy, there were beating all the elites. I know its just regular season but theyve never had an inside presence before.

Now Dirk is getting healthy and taking it to the hole more often and Chandler is strong down there too. I put them at least equal to the Spurs & Lakers and probably our toughest opponent if both make it to the finals

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: They cannot close out games : It's not easy to drive to the basket when Gasol or Tyson Chandler is in the paint. That's easier said than done. Ray had an open lay-up and it ended up getting blocked. Don't underestimate guys like Pau Gasol and Tyson Chandler, they're not stiffs!
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]
    Very true. Easy to say "just drive to the basket"!
    I think the Cs are actually closing out games better this season compared to last season. Thing is that most games this season are close so you're bound to loose a couple. No biggie.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]i am not worried about this loss. it sucks and we should have won it, like the first dallas game. but it happens. can't pull every close game out. I wish we could, but just not possible. and i think the celtics have been good about closing out games this year. they have a hiccup or two down the line.

I agree with you about this loss.  Although, they should have won it, they have won many close games so far this season.  Hopefully, they can bounce back and win on Sunday.  I would expect they will be disapppointed after losing a close game and play with determination and desire on Sunday.  It is also helpful that it is a home game.  I also believe that Shaq was missed last night. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

Good game two good teams. Dallas made the big shots at the end, C's didn't. It happens. Give the Mavs credit and move on. Maybe the Mavs have the C's # this year. I hope not. Notice the veteran Kidd made the big shot. Teach them youngsters a thing or two.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetruth007. Show lovetruth007's posts

[QUOTE]Good game two good teams. Dallas made the big shots at the end, C's didn't. It happens. Give the Mavs credit and move on. Maybe the Mavs have the C's # this year. I hope not. Notice the veteran Kidd made the big shot. Teach them youngsters a thing or two.
    Posted by OneNation[/QUOTE]

OneNation, I agree with you. What is annoying is that they made the same mistake TWICE against the same team. In the two games, they had ZERO basket for a combined FIVE minutes down the stretch. They definetely did not learn the lesson from the first game. Down the stretch, they should take the ball to the rim and shoot free throws. Instead they shot jumpers and missed one after another.

Also KG's T and a silly foul on Dirk after Dirk made a shot and fell on the ground, that was two points gift to Dallas. Ridiculous. I still believe the 07-08 team is more talented that this team. This team has deeper bench but their bench never won anything. The whole bench has no reliable 3-pointer shooters. They are short and most of them are slim.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: They cannot close out games : OneNation, I agree with you. What is annoying is that they made the same mistake TWICE against the same team. In the two games, they had ZERO basket for a combined FIVE minutes down the stretch. They definetely did not learn the lesson from the first game. Down the stretch, they should take the ball to the rim and shoot free throws. Instead they shot jumpers and missed one after another. Also KG's T and a silly foul on Dirk after Dirk made a shot and fell on the ground, that was two points gift to Dallas. Ridiculous. I still believe the 07-08 team is more talented that this team. This team has deeper bench but their bench never won anything. The whole bench has no reliable 3-pointer shooters. They are short and most of them are slim.
    Posted by lovetruth007[/QUOTE]
    Points well made, I agree with your comments. I have not given up on the bench yet though. You can't go wrong taking the ball to the basket.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

We cannot close out games against the Mavericks this year. That is all we can take away from this.  
    I am concerned though with KG risking a suspension with his stupid behavior with the ref.  Hard to believe a leader like him would hurt his team on consecutive Fridays.
    Also we need to have some driving to the basket when we are up six against a team like this with two minutes.  Where was Paul and Rondo?  Going to the line is how you close these games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]We cannot close out games against the Mavericks this year. That is all we can take away from this.   I am concerned though with KG risking a suspension with his stupid behavior with the ref.  Hard to believe a leader like him would hurt his team on consecutive Fridays. Also we need to have some driving to the basket when we are up six against a team like this with two minutes.  Where was Paul and Rondo?  Going to the line is how you close these games.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

I wouln't be surprised if KG is suspended.  Something that the Celtics definitely don't need. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

Loss to the Mavs was classic:

C's misses: Ray rushes a 3 pointer with no rebounders under the hoop; KG misses a shot he makes 75% of the time; Rondo . . . what can you say? Still blows my mind how a professional, All-Star NBA point guard can't knock down an open 14 footer at least 50% of the time.

Rondo blows the key alley-oop pass to KG; Ray makes a defensive error worthy of a high school kid and runs past Jason Kidd for that killer 3. If Ray had simply planted in front of Kidd, the Mav would have had to do something besides make a wide open shot. Kidd doesn't take that shot with a defender on him: he drives and passes.

And where's Pierce when we need a drive and a foul to get the game back in our control? Please watch films of Hondo: at the end of games; he lived on the foul line (and never missed) in the last two minutes.

Live by the outside shot . . . die by the outside shot. Came back to haunt us last night. There was not one serious effort to get the ball in the paint during the last two minutes of the game vs Mavs. Pathetic.

If I'd been Doc, I'd of had Quis out there at the end because he played so well (and I'm no Quis fan, but you go with the hot hands).

When's Delonte coming back?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]i am not worried about this loss. it sucks and we should have won it, like the first dallas game. but it happens. can't pull every close game out. I wish we could, but just not possible. and i think the celtics have been good about closing out games this year. they have a hiccup or two down the line.

Completely agree. For fans to take two games this year against the Mavs and to say they can't close games is at best and worst a knee jerk reaction. Funny no body that I've read has mentioned the recent Lakers game which was close until with about four minutes left the Celtics closed out the Lakers with tight defense. My how short memory can be.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetruth007. Show lovetruth007's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: They cannot close out games : Completely agree. For fans to take two games this year against the Mavs and to say they can't close games is at best and worst a knee jerk reaction. Funny no body that I've read has mentioned the recent Lakers game which was close until with about four minutes left the Celtics closed out the Lakers with tight defense. My how short memory can be.
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]

Man, that is not the point here. The point is that they just need to score ONE single basket in the last 2 or 3 minutes to win these two games. They failed to do that TWICE. Something went wrong. Not perfect coaching either. KG's T and silly foul on Dirk cost them two points. Overall, they might deserve to lose.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: They cannot close out games : Man, that is not the point here. The point is that they just need to score ONE single basket in the last 2 or 3 minutes to win these two games. They failed to do that TWICE. Something went wrong. Not perfect coaching either. KG's T and silly foul on Dirk cost them two points. Overall, they might deserve to lose.

Its one game in 82 and a total of only 12 losses.  Its the second best in the league (meaning EVERYONE loses some games).  Yes, they made mistakes down the stretch but its as if you are forgetting that on most nights, they don't make the mistakes and they WIN most of their games.  

Ray's shot would have been cheered by everyone because it would have closed them out.  He was open and trying to take advantage of Dallas having only one or two players back.  I like his shot.  KG would hit that shot 6 or 7 out of 10 times.  He just happened to miss.  We then played good defense and the ball luckily bounces to Dirk who hits Kidd who shoots 30% from 3 point land this year.  It was a combination of bad karma events.  Not a  big deal.  If we lose 1 of the next 3, then its a bigger deal because we get too tight on Miami getting home court advantage.

This team is as good or better than the first year KG was here.  He's a little slower but everyone else is as good or better (especially Baby and Rondo).  I like this team and we shouldn't let a loss here and there shake the confidence. If you all lose confidence, its ok because Doc and Danny and the Team are still confident and that will carry us through.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Where was Baby, i don't care who we're playing, baby needs to be on the floor the last 6 minutes of the game! We needed to score Baby can score, plus he spreads the floor and makes it easier for others to get to the basket!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

Dallas Mavericks don't know how to play the physical play-offs type defense, and I don't think they want to play the Celtics in the finals. Boston, however, is the champion of play-offs defense. And that is the difference.

Time Will Only Tell

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

[QUOTE]I think the starters just ran out of gas. Doc had 3-4 possessions to get one bucket to seal the game and couldn't get that one shot. Very similar game to game 7 last year. The bench again did noting and the starters were dead at the end. Nate did nothing, Erden nothing, BBD nothing. Quis was all we had off the bench.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

Starters ran out of gas?  I thought only the bench could.  It's nice to see you blame the starters for a change. Do you think we should then trade the starters for running out of gas?  If not, why not?

Time Will Only Tell

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Over-reaction.  Dallas played a great game.  They won't shoot that well many times.  Probably they will beat anybody in the nba shooting like that.  Plus they match up well against us...always have.  Remember too, both games have been coin flips.  Wasn't it in dallas where they TOOK the foul against ray and they didn't call it?

Now we're bringing up cassell?  Give me a break.  Holy cow.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetruth007. Show lovetruth007's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: They cannot close out games : Its one game in 82 and a total of only 12 losses.  Its the second best in the league (meaning EVERYONE loses some games).  Yes, they made mistakes down the stretch but its as if you are forgetting that on most nights, they don't make the mistakes and they WIN most of their games.   Ray's shot would have been cheered by everyone because it would have closed them out.  He was open and trying to take advantage of Dallas having only one or two players back.  I like his shot.  KG would hit that shot 6 or 7 out of 10 times.  He just happened to miss.  We then played good defense and the ball luckily bounces to Dirk who hits Kidd who shoots 30% from 3 point land this year.  It was a combination of bad karma events.  Not a  big deal.  If we lose 1 of the next 3, then its a bigger deal because we get too tight on Miami getting home court advantage. This team is as good or better than the first year KG was here.  He's a little slower but everyone else is as good or better (especially Baby and Rondo).  I like this team and we shouldn't let a loss here and there shake the confidence. If you all lose confidence, its ok because Doc and Danny and the Team are still confident and that will carry us through.  
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

The point of this thread is not simply about win and loss. It is about why they cannot score a basket in the last 2 or 3 minutes of the games. Why coaching staff did not coach? Why players didnot learn from their mistakes.

About win or lose, even though they are in the finals, if they have to play Spurs. I am not so sure they will win that game 7.

Confidence is important but doesnot cash a ring. They were confident to start the playoffs. They were even more confident after beating Orlando and Cleveland. They led lakers 3-2 for the first five games. Their confidence didnot help them win any more games.

They are not BETTER than the 07-08 team. Bench cannot shoot. In the 08 finals, 3 key guys off the bench help win the great comeback game 4.  Nobody on the current roster can match PJ, Posey and House. Even Phil Jackson was astonished when Doc used the lineup of PP, Ray, KG, Posey and Eddie. Can you find five guys from the current roster to match this lineup?

No way!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

[QUOTE]The Cavs were dominating teams in the regular season last year. Guess the playoffs is a different story, huh?
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]
    They`ve closed out more than any other team but San Antone. Wonder how many of these posters could do their job perfectly if extremely talented opponents were trying to prevent them from doing so every night.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

[QUOTE]I think the starters just ran out of gas. Doc had 3-4 possessions to get one bucket to seal the game and couldn't get that one shot. Very similar game to game 7 last year. The bench again did noting and the starters were dead at the end. Nate did nothing, Erden nothing, BBD nothing. Quis was all we had off the bench.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]
    Actually ,the short span in the second quarter when 5 subs ,including Semih and Wafer were on the floor they held their own .The starters just couldn`t get it done down the stretch . Itshay happens.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: They cannot close out games : The point of this thread is not simply about win and loss. It is about why they cannot score a basket in the last 2 or 3 minutes of the games. Why coaching staff did not coach? Why players didnot learn from their mistakes. About win or lose, even though they are in the finals, if they have to play Spurs. I am not so sure they will win that game 7. Confidence is important but doesnot cash a ring. They were confident to start the playoffs. They were even more confident after beating Orlando and Cleveland. They led lakers 3-2 for the first five games. Their confidence didnot help them win any more games. They are not BETTER than the 07-08 team. Bench cannot shoot. In the 08 finals, 3 key guys off the bench help win the great comeback game 4.  Nobody on the current roster can match PJ, Posey and House. Even Phil Jackson was astonished when Doc used the lineup of PP, Ray, KG, Posey and Eddie. Can you find five guys from the current roster to match this lineup? No way!!!

The point I'm making is that you and others make these statements as if they happen all the time.  Quoting You above:  "t is about why they cannot score a basket in the last 2 or 3 minutes of the games."   The statement doesn't make sense to me because they do make the baskets in the last 2 minutes most of the time.  How did they beat the Lakers and the Spurs and the Heat twice and that game in Portland and Pierce's win against Philly and the Knicks and so many others?   They make the critical baskets down the stretch. My point about wins and losses is that they WIN more of these close games than they lose - thus they are a clutch team.....even if they lose one now and then.  You make it sound like they can't make a basket in the last 2 or 3 minutes and you're just wrong about that because the Dallas games are the exception rather than the rule.   

That's the point of challenging this thread that says "they cannot close out games".  Its just wrong.   EVERYONE loses a few games in the last few minutes but we do it less than anyone other than maybe San Antonio.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: They cannot close out games : Its one game in 82 and a total of only 12 losses.  Its the second best in the league (meaning EVERYONE loses some games).  Yes, they made mistakes down the stretch but its as if you are forgetting that on most nights, they don't make the mistakes and they WIN most of their games.   Ray's shot would have been cheered by everyone because it would have closed them out.  He was open and trying to take advantage of Dallas having only one or two players back.  I like his shot.  KG would hit that shot 6 or 7 out of 10 times.  He just happened to miss.  We then played good defense and the ball luckily bounces to Dirk who hits Kidd who shoots 30% from 3 point land this year.  It was a combination of bad karma events.  Not a  big deal.  If we lose 1 of the next 3, then its a bigger deal because we get too tight on Miami getting home court advantage. This team is as good or better than the first year KG was here.  He's a little slower but everyone else is as good or better (especially Baby and Rondo).  I like this team and we shouldn't let a loss here and there shake the confidence. If you all lose confidence, its ok because Doc and Danny and the Team are still confident and that will carry us through.  
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Good Post. I like the way you think. Keep writing.

Time Will Only Tell

Sections
Shortcuts