This is Not on the Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Re: This is Not on the Defense

In Response to Re: This is Not on the Defense:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is Not on the Defense : So when you watch games, you ignore everything that the experts say - like when Doc says Collins has them playing really well, they are young and athletic, and sharing the ball and playing great defense - you just simply ignore that...... and then when someone says Holiday has really come a long way as a second year point guard and has really become a floor general and is only 20 years old.... you just simply ignore that and think oh well they are just the 6ers - they s uck so the Cs should just roll over them? p.s. would of is not in the English language, it is would have - I would have gone to the store but gas prices are too high....
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

All this is true, but he's right, the Celtics would have killed this team a month ago.  The defense was fine.  They only gave up 90 points to the Sixers, got multiple stops in the 4th quarter, but couldn't score themselves.    What did the starters shoot in the 4th quarter?  26%?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is Not on the Defense : All this is true, but he's right, the Celtics would have killed this team a month ago.  The defense was fine.  They only gave up 90 points to the Sixers, got multiple stops in the 4th quarter, but couldn't score themselves.    What did the starters shoot in the 4th quarter?  26%?
    Posted by cpjohn1[/QUOTE]

I don't think Dudder cares about the numbers. All he cares about is denial is not a river in Egypt. 

HAHAHA!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is Not on the Defense : The Celtics held the Lakers to 83 points in Game 7, can't get anymore defensive than that!  Perk didn't play in Game 7 but the Cs still managed to hold the Lakers to 83 points. Clearly defense wasn't the problem. The lack of offense cost the Celtics Game 7! Ray Allen only shot 3-14, only 1 FG made from the 1st qtr. up to the 3rd qtr. What's worse is the Celtics only got 6 points from their bench. 
    Posted by LightSaber[/QUOTE]

I don't know that you can use that game as an example of anything.  Both teams played great D so another offensive player on the Celts team was going to receive the same defense from the Lakers that the starters received.  In addition, put someone else in and I'm not sure ANYONE was going to play Kobe like Ray was that day.  It was the best defense I've ever seen Ray play.  Kobe had something like 16 points and a horrid shooting percentage.  Ray blocked Kobe's shot at least 3 times (1 was called for a foul but was not a foul).  So, take Ray out and you disturb the balance. 

I think our defense was fine and so was the offense.  The issue was rebounding.  You don't fix Game 7 from last year with more offense.  You fix it with more rebounding.  We got absolutely KILLED on the Boards and in the foul count.  Just KILLED.  

All that said and back to the title of this thread - we are going to have bad offensive days.  That's always been ok because we could always stop the other team.  I'm not so sure about that anymore.  I love Krstic over Perk.  But, we need Shaq to play some D when he gets back and we need JON because he's the best defensive center of the bunch.  We'll be fine.  This championship will be won because these starters will get rest and they'll be motivated and rested come playoffs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is Not on the Defense : I don't know that you can use that game as an example of anything.  Both teams played great D so another offensive player on the Celts team was going to receive the same defense from the Lakers that the starters received.  In addition, put someone else in and I'm not sure ANYONE was going to play Kobe like Ray was that day.  It was the best defense I've ever seen Ray play.  Kobe had something like 16 points and a horrid shooting percentage.  Ray blocked Kobe's shot at least 3 times (1 was called for a foul but was not a foul).  So, take Ray out and you disturb the balance.  I think our defense was fine and so was the offense.  The issue was rebounding.  You don't fix Game 7 from last year with more offense.  You fix it with more rebounding.  We got absolutely KILLED on the Boards and in the foul count.  Just KILLED.   All that said and back to the title of this thread - we are going to have bad offensive days.  That's always been ok because we could always stop the other team.  I'm not so sure about that anymore.  I love Krstic over Perk.  But, we need Shaq to play some D when he gets back and we need JON because he's the best defensive center of the bunch.  We'll be fine.  This championship will be won because these starters will get rest and they'll be motivated and rested come playoffs.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

If you're expecting Shaq to play D that's not going to happen even if he wanted to. He's too old and is not as fast as he used to be. What Shaq can do is neutralize Andrew Bynum or Dwight Howard in the 1st and 3rd qtr.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I expect Shaq to try to box out and occupy some space underneath so its not so easy for big guys to get to the basket.  That's a tremendous help because KG is not a big guy.   I also expect Shaq to draw some fouls on the other big guys.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is Not on the Defense : If you're expecting Shaq to play D that's not going to happen even if he wanted to. He's too old and is not as fast as he used to be. What Shaq can do is neutralize Andrew Bynum or Dwight Howard in the 1st and 3rd qtr.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

They had the #1 defense in the league without Perk and with Shaq..... hmmm....  maybe what happens is he changes shots, makes teams think once about coming into the paint, maybe he gets the opponent's center in foul trouble... maybe....

What Shaq and Krstic give up on defense they more than make up for on the other end of the floor.

People are so obsessed with defense "defense wins championships".....  Perk was there for the first 6 games of the finals and they were tied.  Perk missed game 7 and the Cs scored 79 points.  The last time they played the Bulls they scored 79, they just scored only 86 against a much younger and more athletic team.

I keep hearing reading how Rondo and Perk did not need to score as long as they did their job there is more than enough scoring - that may be true periodically unless of course the BIG 3 are playing against players that are 10 years younger and 10 times more athletic but that is when of course you expect your elite point guard to take over and score...... 12 points and get 5 assists......

Defense is not the problem, it is and has been the offense and the misconception that all 5 don't need to participate.  Now they have at least 4 that participate.

It will really scuk when Shaq is the starting center, Krstic will dominate backups, Rondo will be the starting point guard but not on the floor in tight games and the alternatives will be West and Arroyo both of which are nice play makers and can shoot from anywhere on the floor, Baby can back up at the 5 and at the 4, Green can back up Pierce, they can go small with KG, Green, Davis, Pierce and any point guard, etc.

I posit when healthy and even with the trade and the time required to assimilate the new guys the Cs are the most talented and deepest team in the league and should win the ECF with only one challenger being the Bulls.

The Cs will play the Lakers in the finals where Bynum, Gasol, and Odom will be better than the Cs frontcourt and Rondo will cost them another championship..... it will be blamed on the Perk trade and Danny and Krstic and Green and of course the REFS but in reality it will be the fault of the worst shooter in the league who will challenge his own and the league's worst ever free throw shooting record.  Rondo will be ignored by Fisher and Kobe....

writing this I think I just heard Fred Flintstone, I mean Tommy say that Rondo is 1 for 4 but he took two of those shots under duress because of the shotclock.......   Hey Fred the reason there are shotclock problems is none other than Rondo...........

p.s.  25% is pretty good from Rondo if anyone were to guard him..... not including the shot clock violations and 3 second violations and oh by the way the absolute very last option in the offense....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is Not on the Defense : If you're expecting Shaq to play D that's not going to happen even if he wanted to. He's too old and is not as fast as he used to be. What Shaq can do is neutralize Andrew Bynum or Dwight Howard in the 1st and 3rd qtr.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

Why didn't you let LightSaber answer?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbrr7. Show paulbrr7's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is Not on the Defense : They had the #1 defense in the league without Perk and with Shaq..... hmmm....  maybe what happens is he changes shots, makes teams think once about coming into the paint, maybe he gets the opponent's center in foul trouble... maybe.... What Shaq and Krstic give up on defense they more than make up for on the other end of the floor. People are so obsessed with defense "defense wins championships".....  Perk was there for the first 6 games of the finals and they were tied.  Perk missed game 7 and the Cs scored 79 points.  The last time they played the Bulls they scored 79, they just scored only 86 against a much younger and more athletic team. I keep hearing reading how Rondo and Perk did not need to score as long as they did their job there is more than enough scoring - that may be true periodically unless of course the BIG 3 are playing against players that are 10 years younger and 10 times more athletic but that is when of course you expect your elite point guard to take over and score...... 12 points and get 5 assists...... Defense is not the problem, it is and has been the offense and the misconception that all 5 don't need to participate.  Now they have at least 4 that participate. It will really scuk when Shaq is the starting center, Krstic will dominate backups, Rondo will be the starting point guard but not on the floor in tight games and the alternatives will be West and Arroyo both of which are nice play makers and can shoot from anywhere on the floor, Baby can back up at the 5 and at the 4, Green can back up Pierce, they can go small with KG, Green, Davis, Pierce and any point guard, etc. I posit when healthy and even with the trade and the time required to assimilate the new guys the Cs are the most talented and deepest team in the league and should win the ECF with only one challenger being the Bulls. The Cs will play the Lakers in the finals where Bynum, Gasol, and Odom will be better than the Cs frontcourt and Rondo will cost them another championship..... it will be blamed on the Perk trade and Danny and Krstic and Green and of course the REFS but in reality it will be the fault of the worst shooter in the league who will challenge his own and the league's worst ever free throw shooting record.  Rondo will be ignored by Fisher and Kobe.... writing this I think I just heard Fred Flintstone, I mean Tommy say that Rondo is 1 for 4 but he took two of those shots under duress because of the shotclock.......   Hey Fred the reason there are shotclock problems is none other than Rondo........... p.s.  25% is pretty good from Rondo if anyone were to guard him..... not including the shot clock violations and 3 second violations and oh by the way the absolute very last option in the offense....
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

I read your post but all I hear is WAAAA...WAAA...WAAAA

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is Not on the Defense :  Why didn't you let LightSaber answer?
    Posted by kyceltic[/QUOTE]

Why didn't you use Mployee8 today?

Got bested lately?

HAHAHA!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is Not on the Defense : Why didn't you use Mployee8 today? Got bested lately? HAHAHA!!!
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

No, but you sure have!!  Bested and Busted    HAHAHA

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is Not on the Defense :  No, but you sure have!!  Bested and Busted    HAHAHA  
    Posted by kyceltic[/QUOTE]

How did I get bested and busted?

Sections
Shortcuts