This is what free agency has created

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

This is what free agency has created

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7175711/source-new-york-yankees-cc-sabathia-reach-five-year-122m-deal   .....CC Sabathia had to opt out so he could get another $30 million from the Yankees?.....I guess he wanted to make sure that his grandkids could afford to go to college....this is why I am against the players at this point....the owners may have screwed things up....but it is their right to fix it...players be damned.....and it's not about athletes making the big bucks for me...it's about their drive for so much more...I mean really...CC needed another $30M....?  ...as a Yankee hater, I wish they declined and let him walk....also, as a Yankee hater.....it sucks that they can just say...ok CC......sign on the dotted line....done!

Sports is way out of control...............sorry....I realize this is a Celtic forum....but we are talking about a lockout....the owners have to negotiate with the players on just how much of their profits they need to share with the players...?  ...what am I missing folks...?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: This is what free agency has created

In Response to This is what free agency has created:
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7175711/source-new-york-yankees-cc-sabathia-reach-five-year-122m-deal    .....CC Sabathia had to opt out so he could get another $30 million from the Yankees?.....I guess he wanted to make sure that his grandkids could afford to go to college....this is why I am against the players at this point....the owners may have screwed things up....but it is their right to fix it...players be damned.....and it's not about athletes making the big bucks for me...it's about their drive for so much more...I mean really...CC needed another $30M....?  ...as a Yankee hater, I wish they declined and let him walk....also, as a Yankee hater.....it sucks that they can just say...ok CC......sign on the dotted line....done! Sports is way out of control...............sorry....I realize this is a Celtic forum....but we are talking about a lockout....the owners have to negotiate with the players on just how much of their profits they need to share with the players...?  ...what am I missing folks...?
    Posted by Duke4

CC and the Yanks are the perfect match! They deserve one another.

They go together just like stink and fecal matter.

BTW.... how 'bout those Cards!

Pud

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to This is what free agency has created:
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7175711/source-new-york-yankees-cc-sabathia-reach-five-year-122m-deal    .....CC Sabathia had to opt out so he could get another $30 million from the Yankees?.....I guess he wanted to make sure that his grandkids could afford to go to college....this is why I am against the players at this point....the owners may have screwed things up....but it is their right to fix it...players be damned.....and it's not about athletes making the big bucks for me...it's about their drive for so much more...I mean really...CC needed another $30M....?  ...as a Yankee hater, I wish they declined and let him walk....also, as a Yankee hater.....it sucks that they can just say...ok CC......sign on the dotted line....done! Sports is way out of control...............sorry....I realize this is a Celtic forum....but we are talking about a lockout....the owners have to negotiate with the players on just how much of their profits they need to share with the players...?  ...what am I missing folks...?
    Posted by Duke4

You're missing that the owners don't have a product without the players and the players don't have a profession without the owners so they need each other.  Consequently, they have to negotiate to find a common place where they both are satisfied.  its called a labor negotiation.   

If it were a normal business where the owners could use any worker off the street that they could train - they wouldn't need the players and this wouldn't happen.  Fortunately, we don't just watch any olf player off the street.

I hope the owners make money and the players make money and they find a compromise soon.  But, the owners are billionaires so they clearly can survive paying millions.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I don't think CC is going to see the end of that contract as a healthy workhorse...I just don't think his body will hold up unless he drops a lot of weight....he was a nice pick up and has averaged just under 20 wins since he donned the pinstripes...he turns 32 next summer and has a lot of innings under his belt....not much of a post season pitcher....yes, they deserve each other...ok....back to basketball..sorry I got a little off track...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Agree with you buddy!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Don't blame free agency. Sports before free agency was indentured servitude -- not quite slavery, but at least close to feudalism.  (Imagine you could only work for current boss, and only for what he decided he was going to pay you, and for as long as he felt like.  And you couldn't go to another company without his permission -- unless he decided to trade you, and then you could only work for this new company . . .)

Yes, if you're considered worth it (CC, Lebron, etc.), you can jerk your team around (and I certainly don't mind the Yankees being jerked around),  but the jerkee usually considers it worth it in terms of the revenue your starts and/or wins generate, unless he's really dumb and throws around big money stupidly to show that he too has a big dick.  But that's not the free agent's fault.  There are offers out there that all of us would find too good to refuse, if tendered.

cheers --

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In Response to Re: This is what free agency has created:
    Don't blame free agency. Sports before free agency was indentured servitude -- not quite slavery, but at least close to feudalism.  (Imagine you could only work for current boss, and only for what he decided he was going to pay you, and for as long as he felt like.  And you couldn't go to another company without his permission -- unless he decided to trade you, and then you could only work for this new company . . .) Yes, if you're considered worth it (CC, Lebron, etc.), you can jerk your team around (and I certainly don't mind the Yankees being jerked around),  but the jerkee usually considers it worth it in terms of the revenue your starts and/or wins generate, unless he's really dumb and throws around big money stupidly to show that he too has a big dick.  But that's not the free agent's fault.  There are offers out there that all of us would find too good to refuse, if tendered. cheers --
     Posted by Number6Fan

Number6Fan,,,.   Most posters on this board have not witnessed the Feudalistic nature of sports back in the days prior to free agency. While the existing contract system for the NBA is far from perfect, it is one helluva lot better than the one that saw a player, who after signing his 1st professional contract, had his entire professional career in the hands of the owner of that team. Down through the years there have been teams that were generous with the "Buck" and those that were Scrooges. Free agency leveled the playing field for those that otherwise would have been held in a fiancial form of Feudalism.
          You got it completely right Number6Fan.
     Seems.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: This is what free agency has created :  Number6Fan,,,.   Most posters on this board have not witnessed the Feudalistic nature of sports back in the days prior to free agency. While the existing contract system for the NBA is far from perfect, it is one helluva lot better than the one that saw a player, who after signing his 1st professional contract, had his entire professional career in the hands of the owner of that team. Down through the years there have been teams that were generous with the "Buck" and those that were Scrooges. Free agency leveled the playing field for those that otherwise would have been held in a fiancial form of Feudalism.       You got it completely right Number6Fan.  Seems.
    Posted by SeemsToMe

Agree with your post.... but as is the case with many unions, they sometimes push the envelope too far.  Unions were a great thing for the worker until they grew so strong and opportunistic, they priced themselves right out of the market.... while allowing unproductive workers a free ride under the protective union umbrella in too many cases... 

The NBA is a protected organization... free from competition. When real competition arrives, it gets swallowed by the incumbent league (see ABA & AFL)

However, the unions did free the players from bondage. Some acknowledgment to Curt Flood for taking on the Reserve Clause which paved the way to free agency... which fattened  the wallets of pro players forever... Now I believe the pendulum is about to swing....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I don't think CC is going to see the end of that contract as a healthy workhorse...I just don't think his body will hold up unless he drops a lot of weight....he was a nice pick up and has averaged just under 20 wins since he donned the pinstripes...he turns 32 next summer and has a lot of innings under his belt....not much of a post season pitcher....yes, they deserve each other...ok....back to basketball..sorry I got a little off track...
    Posted by Duke4

I know this is about the Celtics, but I do agree with you about CC.  He has always had a weight problem and it is going to be even more difficult for him to remain effective in the next few years unless he loses some weight.  He had lost some weight at the start of this season only to regain it as the season progressed. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In Response to Re: This is what free agency has created : Agree with your post.... but as is the case with many unions, they sometimes push the envelope too far.  Unions were a great thing for the worker until they grew so strong and opportunistic, they priced themselves right out of the market.... while allowing unproductive workers a free ride under the protective union umbrella in too many cases...  The NBA is a protected organization... free from competition. When real competition arrives, it gets swallowed by the incumbent league (see ABA & AFL) However, the unions did free the players from bondage. Some acknowledgment to Curt Flood for taking on the Reserve Clause which paved the way to free agency... which fattened  the wallets of pro players forever... Now I believe the pendulum is about to swing....
    Posted by Karllost

karllost,
      Your right about the Unions overstepping their bounds karl . When unions became popular many years ago it was most frequently about working conditions. That was certainly a noble cause. But now it has become a financial battle with both sides, at this time, seemingly unwilling to make the compromises necessary to break the deadlock. Perhaps it is time for the Unions to be put down a bit on financial matters.  But the impasse will end eventually, because while  often times it seems like a Labor-Owner Partnorship made in hell, it is nevertheless a relationship where they both must be successfull to succeed. Lets hope that the Lockout ends soon so that we can enjoy another 10 or so years of relative peace and quite.
       Seems

13. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts