THIS TEAM... COULD HAVE BEEN GREAT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffreyu679. Show jeffreyu679's posts

THIS TEAM... COULD HAVE BEEN GREAT

I think that when we look back, this current team will be remembered as a very good Celtics team but fall just short of being thought of as great.   It may take a few decades to put that into perspective...  

They won a championship the first year the "new" Big 3 were put together.   KG's injury probably cost them a championship in year 2.   And last year they lost a close game 7 in the Finals that could have been their 3rd (and probably final) championship.   However, I believe the loss last year had more to do with the Celtics not taking the regular season seriously.   It had much less to do with bad reffing and nothing to do with a conspiracy on the part of David Stern.   If that game 7 was played in Boston, the C's would have gotten the same calls that went to the Lakers in LA.  And that's on the C's for not doing their part in the regular season.   Remember, even Lebron said he thought they were bored...

That's not to say we won't miss these guys, we certainly will.   I just hope that DA sticks around to rebuild this team.   I'm a big believer in DA and I'm glad the C's have him.  Danny did the best he could regrouping with these guys this year due to salary cap limitations.   I think he did a remarkable job.   But the problem this year had more to do with the players age and durability than what was left in the tank.   That's why I never seriously expected them to be there at the end.

Still, some future Celtics coach will probably get frustrated and say; "Kevin Garnett is not walking through that door...  Ray Allen is not walking through that door and Paul Pierce is not walking through that door".   That's when we'll realize how much they meant to the Boston Celtics and how much we'll miss them.      

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: THIS TEAM... COULD HAVE BEEN GREAT

Qdaddy and Rico are very active right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

I agree Jeffrey, though I'd say that with what this team had to overcome they already meet my definition of great, and this is coming from someone who started paying attention as a child during height of the Bird years.  Maybe this is just a precursor of things to come.  Like you said, we do have a good young core and I wouldn't be surprised to see at least some of the Big 3 stick around in a Varitek-like role to help mentor them.  We could wind up realizing that dream of greatness again very soon, only this time long-term and without so much adversity.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from allen2034. Show allen2034's posts

In Response to Re: THIS TEAM... COULD HAVE BEEN GREAT:
    [QUOTE]THIS TEAM... COULD HAVE BEEN GREAT, If it wasn't for Mr. Ainge. Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Daaaaaaaaaaaaannyyyyyy... You never ever brake up a winner, why fix something that isn't broken?????? After winning in 08 he let go Possey and replaced him with Sheed of all people, then he let go Tony Allen, traded Perk, Gave away Erdan and Harengody. Signed Murphy????? Arroyo?????? Shaq??????? JO???????? His draft picks were ridiculous. What was he thinking????? I can do better than that. Now Pierce, Garnette and Ray have no legacy the only legacy they have is ONE and DONE. They will be seen as what they were 98% of their careers, losers. KG was always a looser in Minnesota, Ray Allen was always a looser in Seattle and Milwaukee and Pierce we all know has always been a looser here in Boston. So thanks to Danny these guys only will be marked by being losers their entire carrer and we just have one person to thank, the genius Mr. Danny Ainge. Thaaaaaaaaaaaank youuuuuuuuuuuuu Dannyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...
    Posted by RicoCeltic[/QUOTE]
    okay i was with you all the way up to the big 3 always being losers...
    KG a loser in minnesota? he made it to the conference finals..Which is pretty good...
    Ray allen also made it to the conference finals...
    and pierce also had his runs in the playoffs with absolutely no1 on his team...

I will agree with you on the fact that danny SCREWED this up...not this year or last year..
    but all the way back to 08 when he refused to sign posey! thats when it all started and thats when he started making ALL the wrong moves...i mean come on does any1 remember murbary? what a joke...
    YOU DO NOT fix something that is not broken...we had a team chemistry unlike any other...
    but kg ray and pierce will not be remembered as 1 and done...most hall of famers never even got 1 so they did more than alot of superstars didnt...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

2 knees kept this team from winning 3 in a row, team coulda been legendary, not to be, tragic

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: THIS TEAM... COULD HAVE BEEN GREAT : okay i was with you all the way up to the big 3 always being losers... KG a loser in minnesota? he made it to the conference finals..Which is pretty good... Ray allen also made it to the conference finals... and pierce also had his runs in the playoffs with absolutely no1 on his team... I will agree with you on the fact that danny SCREWED this up...not this year or last year.. but all the way back to 08 when he refused to sign posey! thats when it all started and thats when he started making ALL the wrong moves...i mean come on does any1 remember murbary? what a joke... YOU DO NOT fix something that is not broken...we had a team chemistry unlike any other... but kg ray and pierce will not be remembered as 1 and done...most hall of famers never even got 1 so they did more than alot of superstars didnt...
    Posted by allen2034[/QUOTE]

Please correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Danny Ainge put together the team that won in 2008?  Doesn't he deserve credit for that?

It's damned hard to win even one championship in any sport.  There is no such thing as perfection in sports or anything else.  Be happy you got to see such a great victory over the Lakers in 2008. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toine83. Show toine83's posts

The season is not over,even if it's extremely complicated it is still possible.

Next season, the big 3 should stay, and Danny should try to get via draft, free agency, trades some young players, maybe not superstars but role players that can be starters after the big 3 era. 
    Gerald Henderson, Terrence Williams, Patrick Patterson, Oden, OJ Mayo...

In 2012 I would sign Garnett and Allen for the vet. minimum and try to bring a young star (Love?)

KG, Ray and PP can get more chances in Boston.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from srinivasa. Show srinivasa's posts

They still have a chance to win it all, allthough chances are slim.
    But I concur without the KG injury in 2009 we would have raised at least 2 banners with the Big 3. It's just very hard to reach the top, many things have to go your way. KG always said he would have done it (leaving Minny) sooner if he had only known...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I would not call this team great.  I think the team "could" have been great.  They were beseiged by injuries to key players and they underachieved too much.  They underachieved this season and that is the difference from being the #1 seed playing Atlanta at home and the #3 seed playing AT Miami.

The team fought the entire season only to give it away at the end by underachieving against extremely inferior opponents.  The team did the same thing last season by going 27-27 over the final 54 games.  It got to the point where it just became an annual ritual to take the foot off the pedal and put it in cruise control because we could flip that switch come playoff time.  Well folks, it happened only ONCE (last year) and now we're getting burned by it.

It's the effort put forth during those grueling March and April days that ensures the NBA Finals Game 7 being played IN Boston and a round 2 series against Miami this season being played AT HOME.  When you underachieve, this is the result.

It just became acceptable to get "healthy" for the playoffs.  Funny how in spite of our efforts to caution on the side of health, it still played a factor on us being eliminated in three consecutive years (KG, Perk, Shaq & Rondo).

This era is over.  Next season, Ray Allen should be a backup.  Next season, KG should be a starter with extremely limited minutes.  Actually, I'd make him a backup.  He's too inconsistent and no longer is capable of giving it on a nightly basis.  Pierce is the only Big 3 who I believe is still capable of being a starter and logging the minutes to be effective.

We talked during the season about the playoffs not having back-to-backs.  Well, honestly, these guys, especially KG, looked exhausted and finished.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Petey, I agree with a lot of what you've said.  Those late season losses are proving to be EXTREMELY meaningful.  But to say they were due to underachievement?  I don't think any of us knows much of what really goes on behind closed doors with our teams.  Maybe maybe guys were playing hurt in some of those games and we never found out.  I know, I know... probably grasping at straws here.  But I see the heart that they've put into games and find it hard to believe those same people are capable of not giving it their all.  My hunch is that they were all emotionally exhausted and even though they willed themselves forward as best they could, they went through so, SO much.  Not just injuries but seeing one of their own teammates have his career (most likely) ended on a routine play.  And while I don't believe anyone was sulking about the trade and I actually think the trade was necessary - maybe a necessary evil but necessary - having all these new people and losing so many others had to have effected the team's psyche.  Emotional energy is amazing when you can harness it but there is a come-down.  I know this from having been an athlete myself.  Maybe they just had too much coming at them all year.  Who knows...

I hope though that this is more of a brief transition than the end of an era. Wishful thinking maybe, but I'd love to see Allen, Garnett and eventually Pierce move into roles similar to what Jason Varitek does for the Red Sox - not just stepping aside for the younger guys but mentoring them as well.  I do believe we already have the pieces in place.

But we'll have plenty of time to talk about that once the season's actually over...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: THIS TEAM... COULD HAVE BEEN GREAT : It's all about the rings my friend. Not conference finals and not win any of the conference finals at least.

What is a looser??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

You are delusional if you think it was KGs knees that prevented the cs from 3 banners. Face it, it was the Laker Big Train led by the great kobe that derailed any chance at all of you guys being anything else other than a one and done. We still have a much better chance to get to 18 before you. At the rate Boston is going you should get number 18 in 2030. We'll get 18 within 2,3 maybe 4 years. You all know that as a result of the Dallas debacle we will be agressively pursuing Howard even if we have to give up Bynum and maybe Odom or Gasol. What do you guys have to offer other than players past their prime? When we get Howard it will just follow Lakers tradition of always getting the best center out there and with him we'll have 18 the 2nd year he is a Laker.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Too many injuries and guys that are over the hill we shouldn't have aquired.(The O'Niell's) And the big 3 are showing their age. Two years ago with KG not injured would have been an interesting scenario. Last year they caught some breaks for teams they played.(Cavs internal-you know what) and the Magic were hurting.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"I think he (Ainge) did a remarkable job."  Nice. I'm sure he's glad there's one fanboy left.

The season isn't over but this isn't Ainge's finest hour. He disrupted the team with a trade deadline trade that likely cost us home court advantage against the Heat (which would come in handy right about now). He got greedy, thinking he could win a ring this year while setting our team up better for the future, gambled on the health of a 7 foot 300 pound man 40 year old man, and lost. 

I would like Ainge to stick around just to see if he can rebuild on the fly. My suspicion is that he can't, I think he's a bit too trigger happy, but I would love to be proven wrong. 

Having said that, I will hold off on my full post mortem until the Celts finish their season. Can't stop rooting for them now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Like Allen, I was with Rico until he started calling Ray and KG losers.  That's overboard.  They had had fantastic careers.  Folks like Barkley, Malone, and Ewing wish they had what Ray and KG have!   

However, I do have mixed emotions about Danny. I give him HUGE credit for bringing us a championship and making us relevant, again.  But, I think once he got the big 3, he made a number of bad moves and Rico outlines some of them.  Add to those moves the drafting of folks like Bradley, Giddens, etc and its clear Danny made major mistakes in his people moves.  I wouldn't have expected every move he made to be great, but I think his "miss" percentage was just too high and ultimately, it hurt the team.

Those people who wanted Murphy and Arroyo were smoking something funny!  We needed someone like Brewer or another defensive guard to replace TA.  We needed an athletic big and maybe one from the D league is more effective than that bum Murphy.

The team ultimately under achieved because they were not focused in the last 1/3 of the last 2 years and they were too often injured and they were changed for no reason too often.  The players have to take responsibility for the last third of the season, just bad luck hurt on the injuries (and WOW did we get hit with injuries), and Danny is to fault on the constant changes in the winning formula.

That said - let's just win game 5 and take it from there.  One game at a time and you never know, we could defy the odds!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

[QUOTE]THIS TEAM... COULD HAVE BEEN GREAT, If it wasn't for Mr. Ainge. Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Daaaaaaaaaaaaannyyyyyy... You never ever brake up a winner, why fix something that isn't broken?????? After winning in 08 he let go Possey and replaced him with Sheed of all people, then he let go Tony Allen, traded Perk, Gave away Erdan and Harengody. Signed Murphy????? Arroyo?????? Shaq??????? JO???????? His draft picks were ridiculous. What was he thinking????? I can do better than that. Now Pierce, Garnette and Ray have no legacy the only legacy they have is ONE and DONE. They will be seen as what they were 98% of their careers, losers. KG was always a looser in Minnesota, Ray Allen was always a looser in Seattle and Milwaukee and Pierce we all know has always been a looser here in Boston. So thanks to Danny these guys only will be marked by being losers their entire carrer and we just have one person to thank, the genius Mr. Danny Ainge. Thaaaaaaaaaaaank youuuuuuuuuuuuu Dannyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...

Rico --

I don't know what team you are REALLY a fan of, but it's not the Celtics. You are every bit as obnoxious as Tayshawn and LakerFan32 (or whatever his number is) and the Pudd/Dudd duo.  You come here and bash Danny and Kevin and Ray and Paul, and act like you can't wait for the Good Old Days of Pitino or Rodgers or Ford, and . . . what? 'Toine?    Your rants are getting really old, and other than seeing how many people you can tick off (like a 12-year-old), I don't see what you think you're doing.

/> />ignore<<  

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The Heat will not win a championship this year.  Mark it.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: THIS TEAM... COULD HAVE BEEN GREAT : The Heat will give back to the Mavs what they stole from them in 2006.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

I hope that you are right.  I am still not sure that Miami will make it to the NBA finals.  Chicago has a good chance of winning that series. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to THIS TEAM... COULD HAVE BEEN GREAT:
    [QUOTE]I think that when we look back, this current team will be remembered as a very good Celtics team but fall just short of being thought of as great.   It may take a few decades to put that into perspective...   They won a championship the first year the "new" Big 3 were put together.   KG's injury probably cost them a championship in year 2.   And last year they lost a close game 7 in the Finals that could have been their 3rd (and probably final) championship.   However, I believe the loss last year had more to do with the Celtics not taking the regular season seriously.   It had much less to do with bad reffing and nothing to do with a conspiracy on the part of David Stern.   If that game 7 was played in Boston, the C's would have gotten the same calls that went to the Lakers in LA.  And that's on the C's for not doing their part in the regular season.   Remember, even Lebron said he thought they were bored... That's not to say we won't miss these guys, we certainly will.   I just hope that DA sticks around to rebuild this team.   I'm a big believer in DA and I'm glad the C's have him.  Danny did the best he could regrouping with these guys this year due to salary cap limitations.   I think he did a remarkable job.   But the problem this year had more to do with the players age and durability than what was left in the tank.   That's why I never seriously expected them to be there at the end. Still, some future Celtics coach will probably get frustrated and say; "Kevin Garnett is not walking through that door...  Ray Allen is not walking through that door and Paul Pierce is not walking through that door".   That's when we'll realize how much they meant to the Boston Celtics and how much we'll miss them.      
    Posted by jeffreyu679[/QUOTE]

I agree and as I said in another post this team should be going for a 4-peat...

I think that if they did not have to play really good teams, and the refs didn't have it out for them, and they didn't incur injuries (like every other team - Memphis is probably going to the WCF without its best player) they could have been great.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Like Allen, I was with Rico until he started calling Ray and KG losers.  That's overboard.  They had had fantastic careers.  Folks like Barkley, Malone, and Ewing wish they had what Ray and KG have!    However, I do have mixed emotions about Danny. I give him HUGE credit for bringing us a championship and making us relevant, again.  But, I think once he got the big 3, he made a number of bad moves and Rico outlines some of them.  Add to those moves the drafting of folks like Bradley, Giddens, etc and its clear Danny made major mistakes in his people moves.  I wouldn't have expected every move he made to be great, but I think his "miss" percentage was just too high and ultimately, it hurt the team. Those people who wanted Murphy and Arroyo were smoking something funny!  We needed someone like Brewer or another defensive guard to replace TA.  We needed an athletic big and maybe one from the D league is more effective than that bum Murphy. The team ultimately under achieved because they were not focused in the last 1/3 of the last 2 years and they were too often injured and they were changed for no reason too often.  The players have to take responsibility for the last third of the season, just bad luck hurt on the injuries (and WOW did we get hit with injuries), and Danny is to fault on the constant changes in the winning formula. That said - let's just win game 5 and take it from there.  One game at a time and you never know, we could defy the odds!
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with your assessment of many of the bench players that Danny has acquired during the last few seasons.  If we currently had bench players that could contribute like the championship season bench, we may have won more games during this series.  A good bench is very important during the playoffs, and our current bench hasn't contributed much. 

Sections
Shortcuts