thoughts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRADinLA. Show BRADinLA's posts

thoughts

My first thought tonight was that even though the Celtics are are healthier (well the big three anyway) this year they're also a year older and maybe that's really starting to catch up with them and a win in Dallas would've come in the first half of last year when it didn't tonight...

Then I thought, well, last year our front court was actually much more cohesive than it was tonight.  We had Perk and Sheed going pretty well at this time last season and tonight our front court was completely depleted, it was the second night of a road trip back to back and we were within 2 points.  KG missed a couple of layups but he also completed an alley oop and had a sweet dunk at one point if I recall correctly.  If Perk, or Shaq, or even JO were in the game for significant minutes even with the how badly the C's played in the first half there's no way we lose that game.  That's awesome.

So, I feel better now and I can go to sleep without it bothering me.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: thoughts

Hard to beat a good team when your 1st & 2nd string centers are out. Shaq & JO were are 2 biggest new players to join the C's and we're not getting much mileage out of either of them. Age & injuries... although Shaqs injury isnt so much due to age or being out of shape.. he got his knee twisted on that play.

Jo, on the other hand, seems to get injured taking a walk.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Agreed that the injuries to Shaq and Jermaine are difficult for this team to overcome with Perk out.  It could be a very ugly game on Thursday, unless
    Shaq is able to play and Jermaine is healthy. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

On a road trip, the second night of a back to back they came out in the second half behind by ten and almost beat the home team that desperately needed a win. This is nothing like last year where second half performances were limited to third quarter only.  They are so beaten up in front  they had to have BBD as center against Dirk.  We should have and could have won but put it in perspective. They look much better so far this year.  Health will be the biggest issue and it is evident in game 8 as it will be the rest of the year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

So true, I think we need to get Shaq back and continue to let Semih play. Put JON on the shelf for about 2 weeks if possible. The guy is so soft it's not funny.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: thoughts:
    On a road trip, the second night of a back to back they came out in the second half behind by ten and almost beat the home team that desperately needed a win. This is nothing like last year where second half performances were limited to third quarter only.  They are so beaten up in front  they had to have BBD as center against Dirk.  We should have and could have won but put it in perspective. They look much better so far this year.  Health will be the biggest issue and it is evident in game 8 as it will be the rest of the year.
    Posted by concord27

Agreed and thats the scary part.  We're only in game 8 and Shaq & JO combined have missed plenty due to injury. Also our starters getting big minutes although Doc says hes not worried about that in the 1st 15 games...

Other than injuries, my major concern is our stand around offense which seems to happen every game for stretches. Seems too simple to remedy so there must be a more complicated reason why it happens so frequently

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

The execution coming out of last timeout was pretty bad. It doesn't matter if our centers are on the floor or not... the Cs have got to execute an inbounds play. I'm sure Doc didn't draw up a KG fallaway from the deep corner as the last shot...execute guys execute!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRADinLA. Show BRADinLA's posts

The execution coming out of last timeout was pretty bad. It doesn't matter if our centers are on the floor or not... the Cs have got to execute an inbounds play. I'm sure Doc didn't draw up a KG fallaway from the deep corner as the last shot...execute guys execute!
    Posted by walk2run

We wouldn't have had to execute that if were bigger up front.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsucks69. Show bostonsucks69's posts

Erden is your only healthy Center! Good luck with that scrub! LMAO!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from c.wright. Show c.wright's posts

Get well Perk the C's need you bad, Shaq is needed too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

Well guys common we did only loose 2 games and to be honoust do you really think we play that bad ? 

Okay sure I hoped Rondo had a consistent jumper at this moment,  that JO would be finally healthy, Perkins to return sooner, Shaq to play +- 70 games... 
     But so far I am impressed with many things and the future surely looks bright.... Doc put together an amazing team (added Shaq, Jo, West,...) Semih , Baby and Marquis have been impressive this far, Kg is up and "running" again,...

We could do worse. I surely have high expectations. Just give it time so they can get it going. 

AND THE BEST NEWS IS WE CAN BEAT MIAMI(and probably any other competitor) , NO? Tongue out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I think alot of you are missing an important factor present this season.  Like we did last season, we cannot do a "walk thru" during this season and end up winning 50 games.  This season, unlike last, winning 50 games might make us a number 5 seed and on the road throughout the playoffs.  We should also anticipate Carmello ending up in New York so you can count on them being much better by season's end.

We need guys like JON and Shaq on the court to develop that chemistry and cohesiveness that will be vital during the playoffs.  Even more than that, these guys need to be on the court to stay in playing shape.  Honestly, the way it looks now, we might not get much from JON if his knee doesn't improve.  If it's bothering him on a daily basis, sooner or later, he'll have to sit out significant time and/or have "another" procedure.  I envision JON being out signiifcant time at some point during the season.

With JON being out significant time, that will expose Shaq more to possible injury.

All of this matters because we cannot afford to be a 5 or 6 seed and play on the road throughout the playoffs.  We CAN do it, if anyone can, but it's just so much harder to do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Sorry to bring this up, and it's not an excuse for the loss last night.  The C's lost momentum late in the game, going 4 minutes without a basket.

But this is telling:  20-7.  That was the FT disparity last night.  Dallas shot 13 more FTs than Boston and, here's the kicker, the C's did not go to the foul line once in the first half, except for a tech. They converted on 7 of 7 attempts from the line, and they lost by two. 6 of their FTs came in the second half. 

In fact, the Mavs went the entire 2nd quarter without committing a team foul.  Not...one...foul.  Don't get me wrong, Dallas played some good D down the stretch.  But the refs were crazy quick with the whistle last night.

So while I hesitate to suggest that this game was gifted to Dallas, I'm starting to understand the conspiracy theorists.  Dallas played a great game and deserved a win, but I have never seen an NBA game where zero team fouls were called in an entire quarter.  And it's not like the C's weren't getting fouled...you could audibly hear PP and RR get slapped on their drives to the hole. 

Freaking ridiculous.  Can't wait for Boston to get this team at home.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

One of the many things nice about Shaq playing is the C's get into the the penalty for freethrows early in quarters. As soups mentioned, the freethrow discrepency against the Mavs. really hurt the C's. It hurt the most during the last possession when the Mavs had a foul to give with only a few seconds left. Ouch.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

Sorry to bring this up, and it's not an excuse for the loss last night.  The C's lost momentum late in the game, going 4 minutes without a basket. But this is telling:  20-7.  That was the FT disparity last night.  Dallas shot 13 more FTs than Boston and, here's the kicker, the C's did not go to the foul line once in the first half, except for a tech. They converted on 7 of 7 attempts from the line, and they lost by two. 6 of their FTs came in the second half.  In fact, the Mavs went the entire 2nd quarter without committing a team foul.  Not...one...foul.  Don't get me wrong, Dallas played some good D down the stretch.  But the refs were crazy quick with the whistle last night. So while I hesitate to suggest that this game was gifted to Dallas, I'm starting to understand the conspiracy theorists.  Dallas played a great game and deserved a win, but I have never seen an NBA game where zero team fouls were called in an entire quarter.  And it's not like the C's weren't getting fouled...you could audibly hear PP and RR get slapped on their drives to the hole.  Freaking ridiculous.  Can't wait for Boston to get this team at home.
    Posted by soups

Here we go again....blaming the refs. Ugh.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Sorry to bring this up, and it's not an excuse for the loss last night.  The C's lost momentum late in the game, going 4 minutes without a basket. But this is telling:  20-7.  That was the FT disparity last night.  Dallas shot 13 more FTs than Boston and, here's the kicker, the C's did not go to the foul line once in the first half, except for a tech. They converted on 7 of 7 attempts from the line, and they lost by two. 6 of their FTs came in the second half.  In fact, the Mavs went the entire 2nd quarter without committing a team foul.  Not...one...foul.  Don't get me wrong, Dallas played some good D down the stretch.  But the refs were crazy quick with the whistle last night. So while I hesitate to suggest that this game was gifted to Dallas, I'm starting to understand the conspiracy theorists.  Dallas played a great game and deserved a win, but I have never seen an NBA game where zero team fouls were called in an entire quarter.  And it's not like the C's weren't getting fouled...you could audibly hear PP and RR get slapped on their drives to the hole.  Freaking ridiculous.  Can't wait for Boston to get this team at home.
    Posted by soups

You mean the Home Team got the better calls down the stretch?  You mean fouls that weren't fouls for 3 quarters became fouls in the 4th?  You mean touch  fouls turned into 3 point plays?  You mean momentum was broken because of 3 second calls, or traveling calls or illegal screen calls were being made on the visiting team late in the game?

Sounds like a typical NBA game to me!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Not to worry...

When KG plays Center that means that Baby must cover Dirk. Dirk has never played well against KG, but Baby is too short to cover Dirk.

First, Dirk does not make that last shot, or try to make that shot against KG.

Second, with a true center, the Celtics win that game.  They were just vertically challenged in the Mavericks game.

When one of the Centers return the problem is fixed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In Response to Re: thoughts : Here we go again....blaming the refs. Ugh.
    Posted by RUMcHale

Nope.  Please actually read the words in my post.  Do you see the part where I wrote that Dallas deserved the win?  Do you see it?  Good.

No blame.  When the Lakers took game 7 last year, these boards were flooded with people who thought the C's got hosed.  I wasn't one of them.  Were you?

But please, McHale,  in your infinite wisdom, show me the stat line of a game where not one team foul was called in a quarter.  Please show me. 

Glad you're okay with this. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In Response to Re: thoughts : You mean the Home Team got the better calls down the stretch?  You mean fouls that weren't fouls for 3 quarters became fouls in the 4th?  You mean touch  fouls turned into 3 point plays?  You mean momentum was broken because of 3 second calls, or traveling calls or illegal screen calls were being made on the visiting team late in the game? Sounds like a typical NBA game to me!
    Posted by hedleylamarr

No Hedley, my point was that the ONLY FTs the Celts got that game were, in fact, down the stretch.  Again, 6 or their 7 FTs came in the 2nd half, not the first.

I actually don't think it was poorly officiated, just one sided.  If an illegal screen is going to be called, it's gotta be called both ways.  And the C's set a lot of illegal screens.  But so did the Mavs that night.

Sections
Shortcuts