Time for Jeff Green to Start

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Time for Jeff Green to Start

Good idea, better idea to get some help at the 4 or 5.  I know you know that. Teams that can run usually can rebound and as we saw last night this team can't compete with a team that can throw players out there and run you into the ground.  Ainge and Doc after last night know they are going to have to move or be a eighth seed.  Melo for me would be better splitting time with Collins right now, something has to be done.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Fierce, I would agree with you about starting Green but with AB returning soon, I am not sure it's the right time to do that.  I would have said that 10 games ago.

I simply believe its time to get Green 30-35 minutes per game whether or not he starts.  We really have to be patient until January 15, so we may as well showcase him for a trade or win with him getting the increased minutes.  He is so inconsistent and you hope that with much more playing time, he levels off and plays with more consistency.

Even if he plays well in losses, he would have more trade value being part of a package.  Bottom line, some guys are just not good fits for certain systems.  Maybe what the Celtics are asking of Green is outside of his abilities and mental makeup.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

i called this one up...cant stand watching green eat bench when terry and lee are bench players..is outrageous...you can add to the thread subject "and call Melo up dleague"...how much worse can it get? we prob wont even make the playoffs at this pace!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I want to see more from Green but I just don't understand why we haven't.  The only way we'll know what impact Green will have is to play him alot.  Green needs to be on the court as much as Rondo and more than PP and KG.

The only way Green will get comfortable is to play with the guys he'll be expected to play huge minutes with in crunch time.

You might be right, start in at GS and SAC.  Those are going to be two tough games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Petey62's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fierce, I would agree with you about starting Green but with AB returning soon, I am not sure it's the right time to do that.  I would have said that 10 games ago.

I simply believe its time to get Green 30-35 minutes per game whether or not he starts.  We really have to be patient until January 15, so we may as well showcase him for a trade or win with him getting the increased minutes.  He is so inconsistent and you hope that with much more playing time, he levels off and plays with more consistency.

Even if he plays well in losses, he would have more trade value being part of a package.  Bottom line, some guys are just not good fits for certain systems.  Maybe what the Celtics are asking of Green is outside of his abilities and mental makeup.

[/QUOTE]

Celts have 2 more games before Bradley returns. I think Doc should try starting Green, even if it's only for 2 games.

Also agree that Jeff Green might not be a good fit. If there's a good deal available, then I have no problem with trading Green. But right now I want to see more from Green.

[/QUOTE]

Your point about the Celtics not having a star offensive player in their prime is exactly what I feel at this point. Watching Green even last night I see a player who can't be stopped. If he had Pierce's demeanor he could be a top ten player.  Some will say I am crazy but watching him go inside and out he cannot be stopped by anyone but himself.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to cabutan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i called this one up...cant stand watching green eat bench when terry and lee are bench players..is outrageous...you can add to the thread subject "and call Melo up dleague"...how much worse can it get? we prob wont even make the playoffs at this pace!

[/QUOTE]

It's not that the Celts will get worse with Melo, it's about Melo getting abused by the NBA bigs and that could destroy his confidence. In other words, if he's thrown out there when he's not ready, it might stunt his growth.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

[/QUOTE]

OK then get ready for a .500 season.  Or are you saying we need to make a trade?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Some players can excel coming off the bench but,Green ain't one of them. He should start,he was the reason J Harden had to come off the bench in OKC. He played PF most of his career and though it is not his natural position he can play at a higher level than both Bass and Sullinger have so far. I'm not sure what combo would be the 5 starters would be but it would be an improvement. I'll say Rondo,Bradley,PP,Green and KG or Rondo,Bradley,Green,Bass and KG. The latter could only work if PP was in full support of coming off the bench.

In a non Green matter,is it me or is Bass physically capable of being a premier PF but has confidence issues with his game. I see him make big time drives using his quickness for a guy his size and his strength that if he made that his primary game would make him a must plan for player, but usually plays like a wanna be 2 ?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

After watching PP try to cover Joe Johnson, I think either Green should start OR be the backup to PP.  Once AB comes back, this point will be moot.  We cannot start PP OR Green at the 2!

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]

I want to see more from Green but I just don't understand why we haven't.  The only way we'll know what impact Green will have is to play him alot.  Green needs to be on the court as much as Rondo and more than PP and KG.

The only way Green will get comfortable is to play with the guys he'll be expected to play huge minutes with in crunch time.

You might be right, start in at GS and SAC.  Those are going to be two tough games.

[/QUOTE]

The issue with Jeff Green is that he does not have the handles to be a strong 3.  But then, neither do Lee or Terry.  So Jeff Green starting at 3 would mean that Rondo will have to go back to being the creator.  He is very good at that but he will need motion around him for that to work.  I don't see this lineup creating a lot of motion.  Jeff, KG and Collins are not motion guys.

Doc is in a tough spot.  He can change things but he ends up trading six for half-a-dozen.  A different set of weaknesses will emerge.

This will be a long year.  The Celts will barely sneak into the playoffs.  They will have to be developed to create maximum damage when they get there.  While I would love for Danny to work out a trade to help us, I can't see one happening.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Agree that Green should be given the chance to play more minutes.  I would like to see him start over Pierce. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to susan250's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Agree that Green should be given the chance to play more minutes.  I would like to see him start over Pierce. 

[/QUOTE]

Jeff is just not that good with defensive rotations.  He gives up the ball very easily when double teamed in the post.  Defensive rotations may or may not get fixed.  He needs to develop a consistent turn around / fade away jumper in the post.  He is too long to create his offense by dribbling at 3.  He has to be able shoot over the top of smaller players.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

jeff green (a 5 year NBA veteran) and paul pierce (a 14 year nba veteran) are not now, nor have they ever been, or will ever be 2 guards, and that is the simple reason it won't happen. if they could play those positions they would have spent time there during their career. someone like pierce who is on the downside of his career doesn't go to a position that requires more speed and quickness. it's not even logical. nba coaches and personnel people are not stupid. with a handful of exceptions, most nba 2s will run both of these guys ragged. at this point in his career Pierce is lucky he can stay with most 3s (if you don't see him struggling on defense you aren't paying attention) and also has issues when left in space trying to facilitate (backing into double teams, getting the ball taken away etc.). Jeff Green is a mobile 6 "9" but is not capable of covering 2s who aren't tweeners (big 2s who could also be 3s) or handling the ball in space when he is not isolated in one on ones. with his god awful 3 rebounds per game average, playing him at the 4 is a real problem too so the issue is really more about green's failings than anything else as they try to find him minutes. which is even more of a problem because  the celtics most glaring issues are in the front court with a decided lack of size and power. AB will be back and if healthy will 100% occupy the starting 2 spot. this isn't even something that's a question. If lee gets moved terry will occupy the back-up 2 spot - if not lee and terry will share duties with bradley. who will likely play some at the point either way. clearly barbosa will be squeezed and lee or terry will also take a hit in minutes. Hopefully they pick up a legit 5 and wilcox comes back to fill minutes at the the 4 (particularly if bass is moved) and 5. not that it will happen, but personally wouldn't even be adverse to playing with proposed line up that has green and pierce at 2 and 3 (at this point why not), but at best it would be a short spurts thing against certain teams with big 2 guards. just isn't feasible as a starting or go to line-up long term for the reasons mentioned. think ultimately pierce needs to sit a little more in the same way garnett is. his age is definitely showing. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

I called for this move 3 weeks ago. I have no idea what Doc is doing. I guess we have to remember that last year we were 17-17 at one point so maybe he's not panicking but boy he really needs to explore giving Green major minutes...even if he plays it off by giving PP a few games off

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I called for this move 3 weeks ago. I have no idea what Doc is doing. I guess we have to remember that last year we were 17-17 at one point so maybe he's not panicking but boy he really needs to explore giving Green major minutes...even if he plays it off by giving PP a few games off

[/QUOTE]

I watched Green blow by Clipper defenders  three times last night.  He might the be the quickest 6-9 guy in the NBA. He need to play a lot more minutes.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts