To All The Rondo Haters

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Re: To All The Rondo Haters

Pud

I'm not gonna get into it.  I've exhausted all the rational stuff.  That's why I turned to thinking it must be some pathological problem.  Feel free to review my posts about Rondo.  But, no more point by point analysis and response.  You never even responded to the points I made; you just moved the goal post.  But that's totally fine.  I don't have a need to defend Rondo the way you have a need to denigrate his skills.  Either that or you're just joking at this point to get some kinda reaction.  In any event, consider it like this please:  any post I make on this board are not directed to you or acie.  Feel free to disregard them.  It's too bad.  You guys know the game but your irrational Rondo hatred creates a blind spot.  I think it was someone on this board who asked something like:  are you just waiting to turn on WEEI and learn that he has been traded or injured in a car wreck?  Do you cringe every time he touches the ball?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters:
    Pud I'm not gonna get into it.  I've exhausted all the rational stuff.  That's why I turned to thinking it must be some pathological problem.  Feel free to review my posts about Rondo.  But, no more point by point analysis and response.  You never even responded to the points I made; you just moved the goal post.  But that's totally fine.  I don't have a need to defend Rondo the way you have a need to denigrate his skills.  Either that or you're just joking at this point to get some kinda reaction.  In any event, consider it like this please:  any post I make on this board are not directed to you or acie.  Feel free to disregard them.  It's too bad.  You guys know the game but your irrational Rondo hatred creates a blind spot.  I think it was someone on this board who asked something like:  are you just waiting to turn on WEEI and learn that he has been traded or injured in a car wreck?  Do you cringe every time he touches the ball?
    Posted by shines01

Whatever!

Pud

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Rondo 1. great penetration  2. excellent passer 3. good sneaky rebounder 4. his foul shot makes him a libality at the end of big games  5. his on and offff defense is a question mark 6.  his biggest weakness is his man playing center field when it is a guy like koby or wade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

how sad would it be if Rondo was a 20/10 guy every night who shot 40% from the field and everyone loved him, but we would not have won a title in 2008 with that guy - we won because Rondo is what he is, and that's why we just might win again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

I love Rondo on the Celts.   But if we could trade him for Chris Paul, the Celts will be a much better team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I love Rondo on the Celts.   But if we could trade him for Chris Paul, the Celts will be a much better team.
    Posted by prakash

Well that would come closer to happening than Bynum for Paul.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Ask Coach K and Team USA how they endured the hardships.... without Rondo? Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin"

You realize the difference between NBA and international basketball right? Or do I have to explain it to you. 

You realize that Rondo has badly outplayed Rose the last two or three times the Celts have played the Bulls also right? 

Weird, I thought I had you on ignore. OK, I'll fix that. Keep on hating - do you even enjoy watching the games, or does your hatred of Rondo prevent you from enjoying the ride?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Derrick Rose is shooting 40% on 3s (improved from low 20s last two seasons) and just closed out the Lakers. He's a better basketball player than Rondo; he's a potential league MVP! Rondo is more versatile, and a heck of an athlete, smart, and a great fit for the Celts. But I'd rather build a team around Rose. For the veterans on the Celtics, Rondo and all that he brings is a better fit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Four PGs ended up with roster spots on the Team USA ahead of Rondo.

Rose, Westbrook, Billups and Curry.

Some believe that Coach K also had a "blind hatred" for Rondo's game that clouded his judgment, sent Rondo packing and propelled Team USA to a world championship.

What other explanation could there be?

Final roster spots based on merit/performance.... or bias/prejudice?

Judge for yourself.

Pud

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

Futbal

Rose is a very good basketball player and a good PG but he takes more shots than anybody on his team and more shots than anyone on the Celtics.

Rondo is substantially better than him as a Point guard running the offense.

The Celtics do not need a scoring PG. Yet Rondo is more than capable of scoring if the team needs him to be more agressive on the offensive end.  We have seen this from him so many times.

Rondo is here to stay for a good while.  He is a proven player and his team loves playing with him.  His ability to keep so many players invloved in the offense game in and game out is amazing.  he could score 15-20 PPG but that would meanPP, RA, KG, Shaq, Baby etc. etc would get less shots for themselves.  it would also mean that the Celtics office would not be as efficient.

Team USA is not relevant to the argument about Rondo's worth and/or abilities.

dboss

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

as a team the Cs have a league leading fg% of .509. second is phoenix at .478, dallas and miami are third at .477. this degree of shooting efficiency and percentage superiority over the competition is unusual. rondo is the reason we enjoy this advantage. his celtic teammates surely appreciate rondo's winning contributions even if a few here don't.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : With all due respect to you, Petey, and the other more rabid Rondo bashers, Rondo's offensive skillset would be a lot more apparent if he did not play on a team in which those skills are not necessary.  Rondo does what he needs to do to keep his teammates involved and productive.  Rondo could easily average 20 points, 7-8 rebounds and 10 assists if he took 15-20 shots a game, ala KoMe the ball Crying Ant pre Poor Gas Oil mixture's arrival.  Shooting 15-20 shots or more at say 40% efficiency with his crazy skills at getting to the hole would undoubtedly result in an improved shot as well as an increased FT %age simply because he'd be taking more shots.  As the club is now configured, there is not the urgent need for Rondo to display the entirety of his offensive arsenal as it has been alluded to many times that he has teammates who can score the ball.  And while Dennis Rodman was entirely one-dimensional as a rebounding machine, it is abundantly apparent that Rondo is clearly capable of posting triple doubles (almost at will) when the need arises as he has done many times.  So, despite you and the many less than generous observers who express their OPINIONS focusing on the weaknesses of Rondo's game, there are those of us who CHOOSE to focus our OPINIONS on his positive attributes of which he has many.  Accordingly, I have routinely espoused my OPINION that Rondo is the best point guard in the Association, despite his reputed shortcomings and the many (what I consider) less than valuable OPINIONS of his detractors. As Always,
    Posted by JamLock

JamLock, my brother and I grew up playing ball and we were each other's biggest critic and THAT made us so much better.  Although he's not my brother, I love Rondo and wish him to be a Celtic for life.  But I can note, what I believe, to be an area in which he HAS to improve without being a "basher" or "hater".

You cannot tell me (although you did above) that "because there is no urgent need for Rondo to display his offensive skillset on this team", there is no need for him to develop a consistent shot".  What does that have to do with him perfecting his GAME?  A player doesn't perfect his game only to the needs of the team he's currently on.  What happens if he gets traded?

The way I see it, Rondo should work EVERYDAY perfecting ALL of his skills, placing more focus on improving in those areas where he is lacking.  You don't agree?  Rondo appears to have mastered the skill of passing the ball and delivering it precisely in the right spot for his teammates to be most effective.  Rondo also appears to have become a quality rebounder for a PG.  Rondo, only when he's committed to it, appears to display the "tools" to be a solid defender (when he is committed to it).

Regardless of the number of shots he puts up or expects to put up per game, Rondo needs to perfect his shot, both mid-range jumper and free throws.  I cannot understand how we give him a "pass" on that significant deficiency in his game.  He should be a better mid-range jump shooter and foul shooter NOW -- not in 3 years when RA and KG and a few others are gone.

Rondo cannot be at practice throwing no-look passes to Ray or KG (perfecting that), all while not working on his shots (mid-range jumper and foul shots).  What does having Ray and Paul and KG on the team have to do with Rondo not becoming a much better free throw shooter?  Having those guys on the team has allowed him to become a better dime-machine (assist leader) but I just wish he was committed more to his shot as he is to his ability to perfect the assist.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

I find it amazing that these conversations go on and on.  Rondo is extremely skilled and a very good point guard who doesn't shoot very well.  In all other aspects of his game he is excellent.  It is like if you get 4 A+ and a D it averages out to a B+ or a A-. And that's what Rondo gets for a grade as a point guard.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsince1958. Show celticsince1958's posts

Good grief what is this garbage thing about Rondo? Hands down, he is perfect for the Celtics offense. If he wanted he could score going to the hoop almost anytime he wants to. But he does that only when necessary. Plus, the defense must watch him closer than ever before because he is such a great passer.

LET'S FACE IT, HE IS A TEAM PLAYER OF THE HIGHEST KIND!! Then their is oinky Labron James. He goes to Cleveland and proved his point. The point? He is not a team player, never has been. It's all about him and how great he is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to To All The Rondo Haters:
    Too all you Rondo bashers... This article espn.go.com ....   should serve to educate you... These two paragraphs sum it up. But just how pronounced is the difference in Pierce's offensive production when Rondo is on the court? Consider this: With Rondo this season, Pierce is averaging 28.3 points per 48 minutes, while shooting 55.1 percent overall from the floor, including 51 percent from beyond the 3-point stripe. When Rondo is off the court, Pierce is averaging 19.6 points per 48 minutes, while shooting 39.7 percent, including a mere 6.7 percent from 3-point land.  Maybe it's not too surprising that most Celtics players are more productive with the assist-happy Rondo on the court, but Pierce's raw 3-point stats alone show the impact of Rondo. Pierce, the NBA's reigning 3-point champion, is 25-of-49 on 3-pointers with Rondo is on the floor and just 1-of-15 when he's not. Still think Rondo's not the key to this team?
    Posted by Kane3387

Let Rondo play with Tony Allen, Udonis Haslem, Nazr Mohammed, and AK47..... lots of missed jumpers, lots of dribble penetration for which Rondo gets no credit, lots of really bad offensive rebounding, etc.

There is very simply no other player that plays with as much talent as Rondo.

Just imagine Devin Harris or Jameer Nelson doing everything or just marginally less and OBTW hitting jumpers everywhere on the floor, 3s at an even remotely acceptable rate, and a reasonable point guard rate from the floor - IN OTHER WORDS SOMETHING NORTH OF 44%......

I know that it is completely possible for most people to imagine but at least try...... Rondo gets into the lane - like every point guard in the league - and actually finishes or makes a layup....... eliminates double teams and contributes to an average free throw shooter - but nope - ...... Rondo gets into the lane - causes 3 second violations, causes 24 second violations, and also causes turnovers because he very simply cannot finish or shoot or make the freebies just in case he does happen to make a layup......

43% from the line, 43% from the line, 43% from the line - an absolute embarrassment..........

14 assists per game - 5 for making Ray Allen work too hard, 5 for having Paul Pierce work too hard, and 4 for being completely being unable to make an actual shot that most of the average point guards view as an average pass.

Give just about anyone in the leauge Doc and a training camp and there is not even a remote chance that the Cs would be better with just about a dozen other point guards.........  call me the biggest d bag alive but in my opinion there is not evetc.en a remote possibility that the Cs would be worse off with udrih, curry, evans, parker, harris, wall, arenas, nelson, kidd, davis, jennings, etc.

A lot of idiots continue to talk about how Rondo is the player that that team cannot do without and I just cough and laugh..........

Any team that has a team that has a team that can cause a problem in the half court offense by simply have somethoing other than the worst shooter in the leuage can threaten......

What will ultimately happen is the Cs will be the best team in the conference..... lots of people will say that it is because of Rondo..... those the the ones that completey ignore the fact that no other QB has 4 HOF going to the HOF......

The complete level of ignorance cannot be address unless and until OWNERSHIP or MANAGEMENT decides to not spend as much as they have.

Rondo is and remains hovering around the top 3rd of the point guards in the league because... his weaknesses continue to outweigh his strengths.

And....... of course no Cs fans can even comprehend that - unless of couse when you listen to their actual coach - WHEN HE SAYS THAT RONDOS INABILITY TO SHOOT REALLY HURT THEM IN THE PLAYOFFS... AND OH BY THE WAY.... COACH K BASICALLY SAI THERE WAS NO REAL NEED FOR SOMEONE THAT CANNOT SHOOT......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

In Response to To All The Rondo Haters : Let Rondo play with Tony Allen, Udonis Haslem, Nazr Mohammed, and AK47..... lots of missed jumpers, lots of dribble penetration for which Rondo gets no credit, lots of really bad offensive rebounding, etc. There is very simply no other player that plays with as much talent as Rondo. Just imagine Devin Harris or Jameer Nelson doing everything or just marginally less and OBTW hitting jumpers everywhere on the floor, 3s at an even remotely acceptable rate, and a reasonable point guard rate from the floor - IN OTHER WORDS SOMETHING NORTH OF 44%...... I know that it is completely possible for most people to imagine but at least try...... Rondo gets into the lane - like every point guard in the league - and actually finishes or makes a layup....... eliminates double teams and contributes to an average free throw shooter - but nope - ...... Rondo gets into the lane - causes 3 second violations, causes 24 second violations, and also causes turnovers because he very simply cannot finish or shoot or make the freebies just in case he does happen to make a layup...... 43% from the line, 43% from the line, 43% from the line - an absolute embarrassment.......... 14 assists per game - 5 for making Ray Allen work too hard, 5 for having Paul Pierce work too hard, and 4 for being completely being unable to make an actual shot that most of the average point guards view as an average pass. Give just about anyone in the leauge Doc and a training camp and there is not even a remote chance that the Cs would be better with just about a dozen other point guards.........  call me the biggest d bag alive but in my opinion there is not evetc.en a remote possibility that the Cs would be worse off with udrih, curry, evans, parker, harris, wall, arenas, nelson, kidd, davis, jennings, etc. A lot of idiots continue to talk about how Rondo is the player that that team cannot do without and I just cough and laugh.......... Any team that has a team that has a team that can cause a problem in the half court offense by simply have somethoing other than the worst shooter in the leuage can threaten...... What will ultimately happen is the Cs will be the best team in the conference..... lots of people will say that it is because of Rondo..... those the the ones that completey ignore the fact that no other QB has 4 HOF going to the HOF...... The complete level of ignorance cannot be address unless and until OWNERSHIP or MANAGEMENT decides to not spend as much as they have. Rondo is and remains hovering around the top 3rd of the point guards in the league because... his weaknesses continue to outweigh his strengths. And....... of course no Cs fans can even comprehend that - unless of couse when you listen to their actual coach - WHEN HE SAYS THAT RONDOS INABILITY TO SHOOT REALLY HURT THEM IN THE PLAYOFFS... AND OH BY THE WAY.... COACH K BASICALLY SAI THERE WAS NO REAL NEED FOR SOMEONE THAT CANNOT SHOOT......
    Posted by TheDUDDER

Wow.  As I just said to me Rondo is  an above average point guard and I don't mind it being said he hovers around the top 12 or so in the game. But no point guard would get a lot of assists playing with Tony allen, Haslem, Mohammed and ak47.  You are king of the straw man argument.  I asked you this last time you posted.  Why didn't Dennis Johnson average 14 dimes playing with Bird, McHale and Parish?  I mean those guys could shoot okay right?

Seriously you try and make points with really silly arguments.  14 dimes is 14 dimes and as much as you try and explain it away it still exists.  Just like 19 and 4 exists.  Rondo is doing fine.  Right?  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

This thread and Pud's comments are why we get a rep for being ungrateful fans.  Rondo plays exceptional ball and some of his own team fans call him "just above average" and "anyone can do it playing with Ray, Paul, and KG".   His rebounding, ability to control the game, and his distribution of the rock are all outstanding.   I am truly disappointed that a few fans can't see how outstanding he is.   On any team, he passes well enough to just make his teammates better.  Outstanding by ANY measure.

The hate is incredible for a guy quarterbacking the team with the second best record in the league.  Wow.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

This thread and Pud's comments are why we get a rep for being ungrateful fans.  Rondo plays exceptional ball and some of his own team fans call him "just above average" and "anyone can do it playing with Ray, Paul, and KG".   His rebounding, ability to control the game, and his distribution of the rock are all outstanding.   I am truly disappointed that a few fans can't see how outstanding he is.   On any team, he passes well enough to just make his teammates better.  Outstanding by ANY measure. The hate is incredible for a guy quarterbacking the team with the second best record in the league.  Wow.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

If this kid wore a Laker uniform, you would be ripping him to shreads while the mighty Celtic defense exposed him with great regularity at crunch time in big games.

Pud

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : Why didn't Dennis Johnson average 14 dimes playing with Bird, McHale and Parish?  I mean those guys could shoot okay right?
    Posted by Icon11

and THIS is the silliest arguement of all.  DJ played with a point forward in larry bird- remember him?  comparing rondo's assists to DJ's assists and implying some better or worse basic point guard abilities is like comparing apples to ape p@@p.

and here's how:

let us examine the 1985 celtics, a typical DJ and supporting cast year.  let's start with DANNY dad blame AINGE, who averaged 5.3 assists as shooting guard, then there was POINT FORWARD LARRY BIRD who averaged 6.6 assists.  so there you have TWO non point guard players averaging just shy of 12 dimes a game.

then take DJ's team leading 6.8 assists, 85% free throw shooting, ample medium range shooting to keep 'em honest, and consistent tenacious lock down defense on a nightly basis, and you have almost no similarities with rondo just DJ vs. rondo.

rondo is lazy on defense, takes nights off, shoots low 40% free throws, and most of the time REFUSES to shoot open jumpers, over-penetrates and over-passes to avoid taking said open jumpers.  yeah, he gets a LOT of assists becase he doesn't do a lot of the other things that he should be doing.

don't get me wrong, i like a flashy pass that makes the crowd go "ahhh!", but at the end of the day (read: playoffs) we are headed toward another disaster with rondo.  he will disappear.  at 43% free throws and stone cold going nowhere in terms of even seeking out contact on drives and practicing his jumper, this stands to be his worst MIA job in the playoffs of his career. 

remember, last year, rondo visibly started trying in the last 10 games or so and he was already in the high 50% free throws and never was in the 40% or 30% range where he has happily dwelled the first quarter of this year.

in all, it's not even worth comparing rondo to anyone.  he is unique.  no other starting point guard in the history of the game other than 1940s peach basket characters have ever shot 43% freebies.  nobody. 

sadly, even though rondo COULD be the best PG in the league if he learned how to shoot, any one of 10 or 12 PG's could replace him right now and we'd be better off for the change.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : and THIS is the silliest arguement of all.  DJ played with a point forward in larry bird- remember him?  comparing rondo's assists to DJ's assists and implying some better or worse basic point guard abilities is like comparing apples to ape p@@p. and here's how: let us examine the 1985 celtics, a typical DJ and supporting cast year.  let's start with DANNY dad blame AINGE, who averaged 5.3 assists as shooting guard, then there was POINT FORWARD LARRY BIRD who averaged 6.6 assists .  so there you have TWO non point guard players averaging just shy of 12 dimes a game. then take DJ's team leading 6.8 assists, 85% free throw shooting, ample medium range shooting to keep 'em honest, and consistent tenacious lock down defense on a nightly basis , and you have almost no similarities with rondo just DJ vs. rondo . rondo is lazy on defense , takes nights off, shoots low 40% free throws , and most of the time REFUSES to shoot open jumpers, over-penetrates and over-passes to avoid taking said open jumpers .  yeah, he gets a LOT of assists becase he doesn't do a lot of the other things that he should be doing. don't get me wrong, i like a flashy pass that makes the crowd go "ahhh!", but at the end of the day (read: playoffs) we are headed toward another disaster with rondo.  he will disappear.  at 43% free throws and stone cold going nowhere in terms of even seeking out contact on drives and practicing his jumper, this stands to be his worst MIA job in the playoffs of his career.  remember, last year, rondo visibly started trying in the last 10 games or so and he was already in the high 50% free throws and never was in the 40% or 30% range where he has happily dwelled the first quarter of this year. in all, it's not even worth comparing rondo to anyone .  he is unique.  no other starting point guard in the history of the game other than 1940s peach basket characters have ever shot 43% freebies.  nobody.  sadly, even though rondo COULD be the best PG in the league if he learned how to shoot, any one of 10 or 12 PG's could replace him right now and we'd be better off for the change.
    Posted by aciemvp

All I can say after reading this post is that all the pundits, Doc and us Rondo lovers are all wrong and Acie is right. Or vice versa. Come to think of it...more likely vice versa.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : All I can say after reading this post is that all the pundits, Doc and us Rondo lovers are all wrong and Acie is right. Or vice versa. Come to think of it...more likely vice versa.
    Posted by gtown07

The "pundits.... doc" is a great strawman argument, gtown.

Is that all you have?

Acie speaks articulately for a awful lot of Rondo and Celtic watchers who have serious concerns about this issue.

Pud

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : and THIS is the silliest arguement of all.  DJ played with a point forward in larry bird- remember him?  comparing rondo's assists to DJ's assists and implying some better or worse basic point guard abilities is like comparing apples to ape p@@p. and here's how: let us examine the 1985 celtics, a typical DJ and supporting cast year.  let's start with DANNY dad blame AINGE, who averaged 5.3 assists as shooting guard, then there was POINT FORWARD LARRY BIRD who averaged 6.6 assists .  so there you have TWO non point guard players averaging just shy of 12 dimes a game. then take DJ's team leading 6.8 assists, 85% free throw shooting, ample medium range shooting to keep 'em honest, and consistent tenacious lock down defense on a nightly basis , and you have almost no similarities with rondo just DJ vs. rondo . rondo is lazy on defense , takes nights off, shoots low 40% free throws , and most of the time REFUSES to shoot open jumpers, over-penetrates and over-passes to avoid taking said open jumpers .  yeah, he gets a LOT of assists becase he doesn't do a lot of the other things that he should be doing. don't get me wrong, i like a flashy pass that makes the crowd go "ahhh!", but at the end of the day (read: playoffs) we are headed toward another disaster with rondo.  he will disappear.  at 43% free throws and stone cold going nowhere in terms of even seeking out contact on drives and practicing his jumper, this stands to be his worst MIA job in the playoffs of his career.  remember, last year, rondo visibly started trying in the last 10 games or so and he was already in the high 50% free throws and never was in the 40% or 30% range where he has happily dwelled the first quarter of this year. in all, it's not even worth comparing rondo to anyone .  he is unique.  no other starting point guard in the history of the game other than 1940s peach basket characters have ever shot 43% freebies.  nobody.  sadly, even though rondo COULD be the best PG in the league if he learned how to shoot, any one of 10 or 12 PG's could replace him right now and we'd be better off for the change.
    Posted by aciemvp

I know.  You totally missed my point.  I was simply making fun of Dudder for saying Rondo averages 14 assists because he plays with good shooters. So I was pointing out that if that were the only criteria then DJ would have averaged 14 assists as well.  In no way was I am implying that DJ should have averaged 14 assists.  I wasn't even trying to insinuate a DJ Rondo comparison.  they are two totally different players in totally different systems.

Seriously dude.  It is a drag that I just had to spend a minute of my life explaining that.  Go back and read my post.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

I'll take you all on, dumb smucks.

oldtimerceltfan articulates the non-imaginative side of this non-issue at least as well as acie. for a more enlightened take, here's Cs legend tom "satch" sanders' in today's boston herald...

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/20101214satch_rajon_rondo_beyond_compare/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

I'll take you all on, dumb smucks. oldtimerceltfan articulates the non-imaginative side of this non-issue at least as well as acie. for a more enlightened take, here's Cs legend tom "satch" sanders' in today's boston herald... http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/20101214satch_rajon_rondo_beyond_compare/
    Posted by BaileyPowe

yeah. well, satch has spent a little too much time gazing at his belly button to think that russell and rondo have the same type of mystique about them and disparity in public perception vs. reality. 

it was common for big men to be bad FT shooters in russell's day.  but there was never hack a russell.  russell changed, nay, transformed the game for the team he played for by psychologically dictating the tone of the game, having a consistent killer instinct and a never ending intensity.

you can't really say any of those things about rondo, because as soon as a game goes slow-down, no matter how great rondo may have looked (and he can look that way in a havoc tempo game), he largely disappears.  to say that he's misunderstood because of his perceived negative points is a cop out. 

rarely did you see russell's man other than wilt going for a big night. 

you see rondo's go for big nights a lot!  see ty lawson's recent career double birthday game vs. the c's when he made rondo look like chopped liver, crossed him over harder than a Christmas bow a couple times. 

russell never gambled on defense, he peformed on defense.  period.  it was a symphony of psychological assassination when russ played D. 

when rondo decides to play good fundamental D, he is among the best.  but he rarely does that, or fights over picks.

russell NEVER hesitated to do what was best for his team and he would sacrifice everything he had to get it done.  rondo?  he just stands there refusing to take the open jumper (or should i say takes 15-20% of them overall) and won't put himself into situations (draw contact on the drive) to practice the part of the game he lacks the most (FT).

in short, russell was a sturdy man intellectually, and brutally efficient functionally in what he did for his team. 

and rondo on the other hand is weak of mind because he refuses, YEAR AFTER YEAR i might add, to step into the simple jumpers, conquer his demons, be as aggressive as he can in drawing fouls (he avoids it instead) and being the best he can be for the team.

if you don't believe me, then look at the similarities in FTA per game b/t beloved rondo and andris biedrins, a man who has confessed to be terrified of attempting free throws. 

biedrins plays a lamb of an offensive game, or remains largely uninvolved most nights because he thinks he cannot shoot.  his shot is not really that bad, it ain't pretty, but it's not as bad as his numbers tell you it is. 

that's cuz he has a boogie man in his head.  he shouldn't be 28% FTs, he should be at least 65%.  so, instead he does other things, he is great at rebounding, but there is no reason he shouldn't be a double double machine. 

just as rondo should not be 42%, but at least 73-75%.  instead, rondo does other things, he over-passes and ends up with a lot of assists to cover up the other smell in his game.  he gambles on D a whole lot to end up in the top 3 in steals in the league and people who just look at topical stats think that's great,

but it isn't so great for the team really.  i've always said if rondo just got down low and played good fundamental D, he could go for 3.5 steals a night or more with no blow bys by his man.

so for russell, you have a man who was simply great for his team in all that he did and in rondo you have a player who boosts up a couple of stats (steals, dimes) that make him seem great to the casual observer, but anyone who actually watches the games knows how rondo hurts his team and is apopleptic about how much better rondo could be with just a small dosage of fundamentals. 

sorry satch, i don't see any similarities b/t russ and rondo.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : I know.  You totally missed my point. 
    Posted by Icon11

well, i had fun  going through the numbers of how that team played with a point guard who was secondary or tied for first in playmaking on the team.  i never realized (remembered recently) that ainge was a 4-5 dimes a game guy on those teams.  that's a lot for a shooting guard and is not often seen these days.

well, at least now nobody can point at DJ's numbers and say how much better rondo is because his assist numbers are higher. 

Sections
Shortcuts