To All The Rondo Haters

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Re: To All The Rondo Haters

Are these the points being made here?

1)  Rondo is not a perfect player.  His game has some big weaknesses like FT shooting.   Agreed!!

2)  Celtics lost in the finals last year because of Rondo's lack of shooting.  Partially agreed.  They also lost because of a weaker inside presence.

3)  There are players that can be a better fit for the Celts than Rondo.  Agreed.  Chris Paul come to mind.  And BTW, other than KG, I feel that there are better players in the NBA at every position.

4)  The Celtics fans should be very pleased that they have Rondo.  Completely agreed.  I am very pleased.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters:
    In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : All I can say after reading this post is that all the pundits, Doc and us Rondo lovers are all wrong and Acie is right. Or vice versa. Come to think of it...more likely vice versa.
    Posted by gtown07

The Rondo lovers - and I am not a Rondo hater - I don't think there are Rondo haters - what I think is there Rondo Replacements Would Be Better....

Rondo creates a double team every time he touches the ball.

After the playoffs Doc said Rondo's inability to shoot really hurt them in the playoffs.

In my opinion Rondo single handedly cost them the finals.  Many posters feel that Rondo's positives outweighs the negatives and I completely disagree.

He routinely passess up routine jumpers that every point guard in the league makes, he routinely passes up layups because he is shooting 43% from the line, nobody guards him in the half court set, etc.

Give me Harris, Nelson, Jennings, Rose, Augustin, Evans, Davis, Kidd, Paul, Wall, Curry, Nash, Terry, Westbrook, Udrih, and a whole bunch of others and the Cs are no worse off.  Their offense may take a minor step back but their offense may take a giant step forward.

The amount by which Rondo is overrated is inconceivable.

Imagine Rondo penetrating and kicking the ball out to Tony Allen - clang - no assist, kick the ball oout to Wilson Chandler instead of Pierce - clang - no assist - alley oop to Tukoglu - clang - no assist.... pass to Nazr Mohammed - clang - no assist........  what crazy things would happen if Rondo has teammates like this and he was actually guarded and actually forced to shoot actual shots that are guarded by someone as opposed to being completely uncontested pretty much every time the team is in the half court set...... oh some would find out (what many of us know) he is the worst shooter in the league and oh by the way if he was 2% less athletic he would be the back up on every bench in the league.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

what LOSER fans we have

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

who does pud want at point guard for the East All-Star squad?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Are these the points being made here? 1)  Rondo is not a perfect player.  His game has some big weaknesses like FT shooting.   Agreed!! 2)  Celtics lost in the finals last year because of Rondo's lack of shooting.  Partially agreed.  They also lost because of a weaker inside presence. 3)  There are players that can be a better fit for the Celts than Rondo.  Agreed.  Chris Paul come to mind.  And BTW, other than KG, I feel that there are better players in the NBA at every position. 4)  The Celtics fans should be very pleased that they have Rondo.  Completely agreed.  I am very pleased.
    Posted by prakash

Prakash:

I think that the issues are more complicated than you suggest.

After the disappointments of 2009-10, the general consensus RE: Rondo was that he would have to round out those portions of his game (poor FT shooting, lack of midrange game) that were exploited by the Lakers in order for the C's  to be competitive this year... to have a legit shot at #18 against stronger teams around the league... and as the Big Three aged.

So far this year, there is no indication that he has done so. Supporters seem to think that an 18-4 record and 14 APG speak for themselves and that Rondo is the perfect fit and is playing better than ever.

Others disagree with the flashy numbers and have different interpretations of what is going down. After all, his FT% and PPG are markedly down. The offense stagnates........ we've been here before. 

It should be clearer what the C's prospects are after we play some of the stronger teams in the next month or so.

The middle ground seems to be that even if Rondo is only a good (not great) player, maybe the roster has been improved to the point that the C's can go deep into the playoffs despite Rondo's failure to address his offensive woes.

One thing is for sure. The debate will continue to rage until Rondo develops a serviceable mid range game that keeps defenses honest and can hit his FTs at a 70+% clip.

Pud  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

rondo is a perfect fit for the big 3 cause of his passing. they can get their stuff in and he usually has good judgement. he has been chucking up some jump shots the last couple games and decent at making them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : Supporters seem to think that an 18-4 record and 14 APG speak for themselves and that Rondo is the perfect fit and is playing better than ever. Others disagree with the flashy numbers and have different interpretations of what is going down. After all, his FT% and PPG are markedly down. The offense stagnates........ we've been here before.   Pud  
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Pud,

I also notice the deficiencies in Rondo's game.  But it will be hard to replace Rondo with somebody better.  Deron Williams or Chris Paul are the only two viable options and only Paul may be remotely available.  Also, Paul's deal expires in a couple of years and he may go somewhere else after that.

I believe that the Celts need a quality wing off the bench. Nate and Marquis are not the answer.  That is why I had suggested in a different thread that Danny may look to trading Perkins before he becomes a free agent.

For the 18th banner, the Celts have shored up the inside presence.  Rondo is probably their best option at point.  Get a quality wing and we have an outstanding chance barring injuries.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : Pud, I also notice the deficiencies in Rondo's game.  But it will be hard to replace Rondo with somebody better.  Deron Williams or Chris Paul are the only two viable options and only Paul may be remotely available.  Also, Paul's deal expires in a couple of years and he may go somewhere else after that. I believe that the Celts need a quality wing off the bench. Nate and Marquis are not the answer.  That is why I had suggested in a different thread that Danny may look to trading Perkins before he becomes a free agent. For the 18th banner, the Celts have shored up the inside presence.  Rondo is probably their best option at point.  Get a quality wing and we have an outstanding chance barring injuries.
    Posted by prakash

Agreed.... and we need to get Delonte back healthy as the BUPG.

I like Perk a lot... but I really don't miss him at this point. Not with Shaq playing so well 22 min/game... along with BBD in the middle.

Perk is a beast... but Shaq is a m-o-n-s-t-e-r!

Pud

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : Pud, I also notice the deficiencies in Rondo's game.  But it will be hard to replace Rondo with somebody better.  Posted by prakash

if you analyze that in a vacuum of last year's lakers series, "better" would be defined as shooting better than 25% from the line and someone who could shoot outside and therefore make kobe have to defend ray allen instead of sagging off (and getting rest!) of our half-court-set-inactive PG.

so in those parameters, many, many, many players are better than what rondo offers us come playoff time when the music stops and the game slows down and you have to earn your keep.

the problem i have with continuing to have faith in rondo coming around with the FT% and basic jumper is that he hasn't done it in 5 years time, didn't do it this last off season, and doesn't seem to take it seriously.  after all, it doesn't affect his minutes adversely if he and biedrins are basement buddies for FT% in the league. 

bad mistakes in talent management by danny and doc have come home to roost in seemingly permanent problems.  maybe they thought rondo would just "do the right thing" and fix his game.  but they were wrong.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : if you analyze that in a vacuum of last year's lakers series, "better" would be defined as shooting better than 25% from the line and someone who could shoot outside and therefore make kobe have to defend ray allen instead of sagging off (and getting rest!) of our half-court-set-inactive PG. so in those parameters, many, many, many players are better than what rondo offers us come playoff time when the music stops and the game slows down and you have to earn your keep. the problem i have with continuing to have faith in rondo coming around with the FT% and basic jumper is that he hasn't done it in 5 years time, didn't do it this last off season, and doesn't seem to take it seriously.  after all, it doesn't affect his minutes adversely if he and biedrins are basement buddies for FT% in the league.  bad mistakes in talent management by danny and doc have come home to roost in seemingly permanent problems.  maybe they thought rondo would just "do the right thing" and fix his game.  but they were wrong.
    Posted by aciemvp

Get your sewing needles out, acie!!!! "Nutcuppin' " time will be here before you know it. Learn to love it!Kiss

Rondo has motivation to "do the right thing" approaching zero... asymptotically. Big contract. Bigger head.

Even my main man TommyH is pulling his punches now critiquing Rondo on the air. You'd think that Rondo was one of "Jerry's Kids" the way he is hyped/handled.

Naw!

Just sayin'.

Pud 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : if you analyze that in a vacuum of last year's lakers series, "better" would be defined as shooting better than 25% from the line and someone who could shoot outside and therefore make kobe have to defend ray allen instead of sagging off (and getting rest!) of our half-court-set-inactive PG. so in those parameters, many, many, many players are better than what rondo offers us come playoff time when the music stops and the game slows down and you have to earn your keep. the problem i have with continuing to have faith in rondo coming around with the FT% and basic jumper is that he hasn't done it in 5 years time, didn't do it this last off season, and doesn't seem to take it seriously.  after all, it doesn't affect his minutes adversely if he and biedrins are basement buddies for FT% in the league.  bad mistakes in talent management by danny and doc have come home to roost in seemingly permanent problems.  maybe they thought rondo would just "do the right thing" and fix his game.  but they were wrong.
    Posted by aciemvp

In the vacuum of last year Lakers series, you would also conclude that the Celts did not have inside presence.  If they had either of the two, they would have probably won.  They have inside presence now.

I only care about the team getting better.  If that means trading Rondo, by all means.  But he will be hard to trade given that he is a base year compensation player.  I have also advocated to trade Perk if it makes sense for the team.

But Devin Harris is not the answer and neither is Jameer Nelson.  I don't believe that there are many, many, many players that can replace Rondo and make the Celts better.  There are only a couple.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

Get your sewing needles out, acie!!!! "Nutcuppin' " time will be here before you know it. Learn to love it!Kiss

acie to puddinpuddin:

"easy there, handsome. i got your back in this rondo-bash madness, but don't be blowin' me no kisses."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

Posted by aciemvp

Are you saying that winning a championship, losing in game 7 last year and starting out 19 and 4 this year are an example of the "bad mistakes in talent management by Danny and Doc coming home to roost in seemingly permanent problems?"

Did you just start watching the Celtics in 2007?  Ahh for the good old days of Sebastian Telfair, Orien Greene and Marcus Banks. If it weren't for all of Danny and Doc's bad mistakes in talent management we could still be living in those glory days.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Very good thread as most are trying to refrain from ad hominum attacks and talk basketball, and Rondo specifically. My main complaint with Rondo is that I think his ego (i.e., fear of embarassment) owns him in such a way that he won't shoot from outside because he will throw up some bricks and feel embarrassed. I think coach Rivers should force him to shoot from outside. I think Rondo has a decent enough outside shot and with repetition in game conditions can do what Magic, JKidd and others have done; learn to shoot from outside in game conditions. I think if he does this he will become a top 2-3 point guard in the league. I like Rose right now is better because he can take over a game from the outside with his newly acquired 3, and by driving (Rondo can only drive since he's afraid to shoot from outside and in the playoffs that means he will get hurt when he's hard fouled and lands from 3 feet off the ground). Rondo is a great rebounder, has the fastest hands out there for steals. His passing is hellacious and to not take note of that is just biased (sorry Pud, you is dat). Shoot Rondo, shoot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from videoburns. Show videoburns's posts

[QUOTE] yeah. well, satch has spent a little too much time gazing at his belly button ......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from videoburns. Show videoburns's posts

yeah. well, satch has spent a little too much time gazing at his belly button to think that russell and rondo have the same type of mystique about them and disparity in public perception vs. reality....
    Posted by aciemvp

Acie you arrogant twit.  That is Satch Sanders you are insulting not some forum posting wannabe.  He was there - a Celtic for thirteen years.  Played by Russell's side for nine years. Won 8 Championship rings.  And by the way, probably has more basketball intelligence in his bellybutton lint than you display in your anti-Rondo diatribes.  All those rings, his time with Russell and his years in basketball don't necessarily make Satch right ...  but if you are going to disagree with his basketball assertions you better at least read what he said.   Judging by your post you didn't,  at least you didn't answer any of his main points.    Your disrespect for one of Boston's surviving basketball greats is far worse than your failure to appreciate Rondo's extraordinary talents and unique contributions to this team.     

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Very good thread as most are trying to refrain from ad hominum attacks and talk basketball, and Rondo specifically. My main complaint with Rondo is that I think his ego (i.e., fear of embarassment) owns him in such a way that he won't shoot from outside because he will throw up some bricks and feel embarrassed. I think coach Rivers should force him to shoot from outside. I think Rondo has a decent enough outside shot and with repetition in game conditions can do what Magic, JKidd and others have done; learn to shoot from outside in game conditions. I think if he does this he will become a top 2-3 point guard in the league. I like Rose right now is better because he can take over a game from the outside with his newly acquired 3, and by driving (Rondo can only drive since he's afraid to shoot from outside and in the playoffs that means he will get hurt when he's hard fouled and lands from 3 feet off the ground). Rondo is a great rebounder, has the fastest hands out there for steals. His passing is hellacious and to not take note of that is just biased (sorry Pud, you is dat). Shoot Rondo, shoot.
    Posted by futbal

I don't want to argue with you but everyone does know the more Rondo shoots, the mores Paul, KG, BB, and Ray DON'T shoot.  I would rather keep things the way they are.  How many PG's that dominate the ball and score 20 plus pts a game have won a NBA championship?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Posted by futbal

Futbal: His passing is hellacious. Reboundng too. Defense can be too when he is locked in.  I don't need to make those points again and again. They stand on their own merits.

My "bias" comes in with his shooting woes. His lack of confidence/fears which are palpable. I've never seen this in a professional player. I may see it watching a  High school Jr Varsity game maybe. I don't see it in college. Certainly not in the pros or even in the D league. But I see it here with Rondo.

I don't know how you "force" Rondo to shoot except by sitting him when he gets particularly tentative. That might work in high school or early college. Not for an NBA all star. Too late.

My sense is that an 11mil/year player is not going to sit still for that kind of treatment... even if it represents the only hope. He will sulk, demand a trade instead... or shoot even less.

Some try to disguise his shooting reluctance as pure, unadulterated  selflessness.... that the more he shoots, the fewer shots for his teammates... like Celtic basketball is a zero sum game.

There may be slightly fewer shots... but there will also be far fewer defenders around too when Rondo's teammates get the ball and go to work establishing leads and playing winning basketball.

Pud

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : The "pundits.... doc" is a great strawman argument, gtown. Is that all you have? Acie speaks articulately for a awful lot of Rondo and Celtic watchers who have serious concerns about this issue. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Yes but "plenty" is not really that accurate. More like a couple of you. You and Acie and Dudder are all in the same camp. All my arguments have been made as have his and as have yours. I don't get it. "Our" Celtics are playing great and winning great. Rondo clearly is a winner. It would be nice if Rondo could hit threes like Ray Allen but I don't really care that he doesn't. It would also be nice if Ray Allen could dribble and pass like Rondo. But I don't care that he doesn't.

No you and Acie and Dudder can continue with your criticisms while the rest of us scratch our heads and wonder how you can continue to be so wrong.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : Yes but "plenty" is not really that accurate. More like a couple of you. You and Acie and Dudder are all in the same camp. All my arguments have been made as have his and as have yours. I don't get it. "Our" Celtics are playing great and winning great. Rondo clearly is a winner. It would be nice if Rondo could hit threes like Ray Allen but I don't really care that he doesn't. It would also be nice if Ray Allen could dribble and pass like Rondo. But I don't care that he doesn't. No you and Acie and Dudder can continue with your criticisms while the rest of us scratch our heads and wonder how you can continue to be so wrong.
    Posted by gtown07

I wondered the same thing about the tainters being so wrong in your never ending "Tainted Championship" thread. 

Following the same logic you used so effectively in that thread, the fact that you feel a need to keep returning to defend/criticize/scoff at/attack/disprove/stop the thread .... only proves our point.  

Otherwise, you would surely ignore, wouldn't you?

You are playing right into our hands. 

What's good for the goose....

Pud

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : Are you Dudder?
    Posted by gtown07

Thanks for proving my point.

Try the IGNORE option.

Pud

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : Acie you arrogant twit.  That is Satch Sanders you are insulting not some forum posting wannabe.         
    Posted by videoburns

well, it is not a spur of the moment criticism of sanders.  i have always thought that he came out with some peculiar things when a microphone or reporter was put in front of him.

forget that it's sanders and he won 8 rings with russell and explain to me how his analogy makes any sense.  please do it.  russell held nothing back, gave everything, embodied no weaknesses and only strength. 

and his unconventional way of filling a big man role is being compared to rondo, the ego-crippled young player who will not get himself to the level where he can do his team the most good.  i'm sorry but it makes NO SENSE.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : How many PG's that dominate the ball and score 20 plus pts a game have won a NBA championship?
    Posted by OneOnOne

this simplistic view is just wrong.  so wrong.  we DO NOT need rondo to "score 20" a night.  but we DO NEED HIM TO BE ABLE TO PREVENT WHAT HAPPENS vs. THE LAKERS last year.  He can't shoot AT ALL in pressure situations.  And when I say "pressure" i mean "prove it to me" (read: the shots are wide open!!) in the half court playoff slow down style of play.

so that is why you need to have a PG with a full skill set, so that pierce and kg CAN SHOOT MORE in the playoffs- as it is when we slow down and are effectively 4 on 5 in the half court set and giving perennial MVP characters like KOBE a series OFF defensively, then that means big problems.  sag and clog for our offense and a totally rested kobe for our defense. 

NEITHER SHOULD happen with a fully skilled point guard.  this is the arguement we are making.  without the CAPABILITY to hit the open shot, a PG becomes a horrible liability.  with this talented core of aging stars, a shot-capable PG would probably be called on infrequently to score big.  but that doesn't mean they should not have the TOOLS to be able to keep defenses honest!!!!!$#@$#$#%$%$@

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : No you and Acie and Dudder can continue with your criticisms while the rest of us scratch our heads and wonder how you can continue to be so wrong.
    Posted by gtown07

you can believe that, but just saying it doesn't make it so.  go back and check threads and you will find a plurality if not a majority of posters pining for rondo to be able to have a servicable jumper and free throw shot under his belt. 

anyone "happy" with what rondo gives this team right now must be eagerly looking forward to facing the lakers once again with kobe not having to play defense, right?  isn't that great!  kobe is of the age now where fatigue should play a big role in the 93rd-100th games of any year, but NOT SO against the celtics, he can take the night off on defense and just sag and hack on our other scorers! 

i mean really.  see the trees from the forest people.  watch the games of kobe "playing D on rondo" last year.  he didn't.  because he didn't have to.  he made life living hell for pierce and KG and ray too.  you can't run efficient curls if there is an extra man screwing up your route!

the sick thing is, that if rondo is a true traditional TRIPLE THREAT PLAYER (shoot, dribble, pass), then kobe CANNOT GUARD RONDO IN HIS FINEST MOMENT because rondo is too fast.  way too quick and fast.  kobe could never recover.

so that means kobe has to go run marathons with ray allen, which is great for us even if ray is not "on" because kobe is running his behind off, working it. 

does anyone see the light now?  this isn't about rondo "scoring 20" for us, it's about just being a basic fundamentally sound player.  when he's not the effects for this team in the playoffs are HORRIBLE.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters  He can't shoot AT ALL in pressure situations.  And when I say "pressure" i mean "prove it to me" (read: the shots are wide open!!) in the half court playoff slow down style of play. Posted by aciemvp

This kid double pumps last game on a 13 foot wide open jumper with the game on the line. No hand in the face. No pressure at all. Wide open. He lost his concentration.

Now I myself might not have hit the shot... but I would not have double pumped like Rondo did. I would at least have stepped into the shot and taken it with no one around me.

In situations like this last year, the Lakers said to Rondo repeatedly.... "Prove to us little man, that you belong on the same court that the rest of us play on. We dare you to shoot. We double dog dare you to shoot. Look... we aren't even going to guard you. We're going to make it that easy. Take the 12-15 footer. I't all yours. Show us what you're made of! Make us pay! Betcha can't"

Rondo's answer?

Instead of stepping into the shot and taking what the defense was offering on a silver platter, he'd shuffle his feet, travel, turn the ball over, pass the ball into heavy traffic down low to Perk, flip the ball back out to RA or Pierce with two defenders on them. Get rid of the ball and run to the other side of the court and wave his arms like he wanted the ball again. Yea.... right!

Anything/everything but what was needed by the team at the time.

Suuck it up.... and take the shot for God sake!

Pud

Sections
Shortcuts