To All The Rondo Haters

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

Re: To All The Rondo Haters

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : I wondered the same thing about the tainters being so wrong in your never ending "Tainted Championship" thread.  Following the same logic you used so effectively in that thread, the fact that you feel a need to keep returning to defend/criticize/scoff at/attack/disprove/stop the thread .... only proves our point.   Otherwise, you would surely ignore, wouldn't you? You are playing right into our hands.  What's good for the goose.... Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]
    Funny... Its true, the conspiracy theorists in "Tainted" did use that argument ad nauseum.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

i think the "rondo hater" concept needs to be buried deep into the ground.  it's typical intellectual tomfoolery of the moment to consider anyone with a dissenting opinion a "hater".  as you can see, i want the BEST for the team and nobody can come on here and take my argument apart regarding the ill effects of rondo's incomplete games in the playoffs.

he started off last year's playoffs great and i was holding his breath.  he was hitting his shot.  so why doesn't rajon practice doing this in the regular season too?  and being aggressive and drawing fouls and getting other opponents' PG's into foul trouble?  but since rajon doesn't ply his trade as a complete player point guard all the time, who really thinks he can just "turn it on" for the playoffs and have it really last?

does this equal "hating" rondo?  no, it doesn't.  it equals out to having some ability to do critical thinking and having your eye on team success overall compared with complacency and satisfaction with half measures and fake achievments. 

rondo could be the best point guard in the league if he averaged 7.8 assists just as if he averaged 12 or 14 assists.  he shouldn't have to average 14 assists a game.  it's a convoluted number that is more reflective of his stark avoidance to develop a consistent scoring role on the team that would inevitably involve having to shoot from the outside and foul line.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]i think the "rondo hater" concept needs to be buried deep into the ground.  it's typical intellectual tomfoolery of the moment to consider anyone with a dissenting opinion a "hater".  as you can see, i want the BEST for the team and nobody can come on here and take my argument apart regarding the ill effects of rondo's incomplete games in the playoffs. he started off last year's playoffs great and i was holding his breath.  he was hitting his shot.  so why doesn't rajon practice doing this in the regular season too?  and being aggressive and drawing fouls and getting other opponents' PG's into foul trouble?  but since rajon doesn't ply his trade as a complete player point guard all the time, who really thinks he can just "turn it on" for the playoffs and have it really last? does this equal "hating" rondo?  no, it doesn't.  it equals out to having some ability to do critical thinking and having your eye on team success overall compared with complacency and satisfaction with half measures and fake achievments.  rondo could be the best point guard in the league if he averaged 7.8 assists just as if he averaged 12 or 14 assists.  he shouldn't have to average 14 assists a game.  it's a convoluted number that is more reflective of his stark avoidance to develop a consistent scoring role on the team that would inevitably involve having to shoot from the outside and foul line.
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

It turns out that the so called Rondo-haters are more often than not long-time, hard-core Celtic fans who have been supporting the team long before young Rondo was a twinkle in his daddy's eye... and who will still be supporting the C's long after Rondo's playing days are over and done.

Calling us haters is simply a put-down way to avoid debating the issues on the merits. After all haters are irrational extremists who should be shunned and disqualified from honest debate.

With Rondo out for a while with injury, I await the first idiot to post.... "Happy now, haters? Enjoy the game when the Celtics lose!!!"

Some  debate!

Pud 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

[QUOTE]i think the "rondo hater" concept needs to be buried deep into the ground.  it's typical intellectual tomfoolery of the moment to consider anyone with a dissenting opinion a "hater".  as you can see, i want the BEST for the team and nobody can come on here and take my argument apart regarding the ill effects of rondo's incomplete games in the playoffs. he started off last year's playoffs great and i was holding his breath.  he was hitting his shot.  so why doesn't rajon practice doing this in the regular season too?  and being aggressive and drawing fouls and getting other opponents' PG's into foul trouble?  but since rajon doesn't ply his trade as a complete player point guard all the time, who really thinks he can just "turn it on" for the playoffs and have it really last? does this equal "hating" rondo?  no, it doesn't.  it equals out to having some ability to do critical thinking and having your eye on team success overall compared with complacency and satisfaction with half measures and fake achievments.  rondo could be the best point guard in the league if he averaged 7.8 assists just as if he averaged 12 or 14 assists.  he shouldn't have to average 14 assists a game.  it's a convoluted number that is more reflective of his stark avoidance to develop a consistent scoring role on the team that would inevitably involve having to shoot from the outside and foul line.

Honestly I think people on all sides of the argument employ critical thinking.  I for one agree that there are at least 10 to 15 point guards who would do at least as good a job as Rondo with this team.  That does not discount the fact that Rondo DOES do a good job with this team.  I find it possible to recognize the flaws in his game while also recognizing that the Celtics have won a championship with him as point guard and obviously could again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

[QUOTE]If you Rondo stays healthy the Celtics can endure most any hardship. Without him we are cooked.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]OH PLEASE.. KG AND PP ARE MORE RELEVANT!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Rondo is more versatile, and a heck of an athlete, smart, and a great fit for the Celts. But I'd rather build a team around Rose. For the veterans on the Celtics, Rondo and all that he brings is a better fit."

I think that's a fair summary. Rose still has some things to prove in his development though. And Rondo has some things to prove also. The Rondo debate (in terms of whether he is the right point guard for this team) will be settled this postseason. If we make the finals and have to face the Lakers again, Rondo will have to play better for us to win. If he does, and we win another ring, the Rondo haters will have to go away. 

We'll learn even more about Rondo when we finally hit a rebuilding year in the next year or two. 

For now, those who love Rondo unconditionally and those who bash him are both tiresome. Let it play out and then we'll know. 

But those who think that we need a high scoring point guard on this team just don't understand basketball. What we do need from Rondo is the occasional clutch jumper (he's getting better at that) and clutch free throws in the stretch (he has not improved there and that's a big concern when it comes to getting a ring). 

For now, who cares if Rose is better? He's not here, and Rose would not be as good a fit for this team anyhow. The top point guards in the league are an ongoing and interesting debate but it's not especially relevant as Chris Paul and Deron Williams are not on this team. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters :  however, to suggest Rondo is not making every effort to "perfect his game" and that he is not working "EVERYDAY perfecting ALL of his skills" appears to suggest that you have greater insight into his day-to-day routines and practice habits than the rest of us, wouldn't you agree ? 
    Posted by JamLock[/QUOTE]

Jam, forget about petey's insights into daily activities.  none of need any insights.  the REGRESSIVE nature of rondo's simple and well known performance on the VERY OH SO BASIC FREE THROW speak volumes about how important rondo feels his shooting skills are.

He has NEVER shot free throws better than in his first year at 64.7%, then has been 61.1%, 64.2%, 62.1%, and now 43.2%.  There is NO statistical progression of improvement there.  In fact there is actually just the opposite going on.

I know that Rondo will not finish the year at 43.2%, he usually magically "starts trying" to hit free throws the last 10 to 15 games in "preparation" for the playoffs and pulls himself up 10% in free throws.  He's done that the last two years.

But this year, he'd have to pull himself up 20 points to avoid a career worst at FT% and that is unlikely.

So forget our "insights" that obviously don't exist.  All you need look at it the results.  Hard work translates into results.  When interviewed, Rondo obviously doesn't take shooting seriously.  During half time of a recent game, he quipped to a sideline reporter that if "all these great shooters" wereen't on the Celtics then he's obviously be a better shooter. 

If this season continues like it is, I am going to have nothing left to do but conclude that Rondo is simply a narcissist who cares nothing for what would be best for the team.  It's best for any team to have a (traditional, i'm not making this stuff up) TRIPLE THREAT point guard!  Remember that silly old tripe from basketball camp? 

Triple threat- pass, dribble, shoot.  Dave Cowens (and every other college or pro person running a camp down through ALL OF TIME) wasn't just telling his camp counselers to free lance on the fundamentals, those WERE the fundamentals and they STILL are, but just not for rondo

But, alas, it doesn't matter what rondo thinks of basic triple threat fundamentals, because if you are only a double threat then it gives the defense an advantage and they can either unduly stifle your game or basically disregard you and apply your defensive man's efforts elsewhere against YOUR team and make life living hell for everyone, as teams do against Rondo every year in the playoffs.  You know, the time when teams really start trying to win and it turns into a grind-it-out half court game.

So neither petey nor anyone needs any omnisience into daily regimens and all that.  The numbers are the numbers and they speak volumes about what goes on behind the scenes.  Rondo has an obvious amount of physical coordination exhibited in his other trick layup shots that he could be an adequate shooter, it's obvious to everyone that he doesn't feel he needs to be that.  And therein lies the problem.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Is there actually anyone on this board dissing Rajon Rondo? If so they should be taken out and flogged immediately. He might be the best point guard in the NBA right now. And the last time the Celtics had one of those I think he was named Tiny Archibald. Enjoy it while it lasts my brothers and sisters.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]Is there actually anyone on this board dissing Rajon Rondo? If so they should be taken out and flogged immediately. He might be the best point guard in the NBA right now. And the last time the Celtics had one of those I think he was named Tiny Archibald. Enjoy it while it lasts my brothers and sisters.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

good point.  even though we had the remnants of the real tiny archibald, he was not a hinderance to the team!  after all, tiny shot 78-82% free throws or better!  Not 42, 52 or 62%, and he wasn't afraid to shoot the mid range ball.

so put that and some ketchup on your entrails and munch away.  don't choke.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : good point.  even though we had the remnants of the real tiny archibald, he was not a hinderance to the team!  after all, tiny shot 78-82% free throws or better!  Not 42, 52 or 62%, and he wasn't afraid to shoot the mid range ball. so put that and some ketchup on your entrails and munch away.  don't choke.

At least after the last few games we can put the Nate for point guard argument away for good. He is an ok addition but no one we want to rely on in crunch time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : good point.  even though we had the remnants of the real tiny archibald, he was not a hinderance to the team!  after all, tiny shot 78-82% free throws or better!  Not 42, 52 or 62%, and he wasn't afraid to shoot the mid range ball. so put that and some ketchup on your entrails and munch away.  don't choke.

Yeah and the PGs primary role is to hit a crazy high free throw %.  Otherwise, he is a dud.

I like the way you evaluate this spot.  What criteria do you use for SF and PF?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : At least after the last few games we can put the Nate for point guard argument away for good. He is an ok addition but no one we want to rely on in crunch time.
    Posted by gtown07[/QUOTE]

Nate is so inept at the PG spot that Doc is giving Bradley a shot at the spot every game.  Nate can only work as a PG for a team as the second string PG following a REALY DAMN good first string PG.  The first string PG (Rondo) enters the game, makes the offense easy for everyone on the team.  Everyone feels hot.  The juices are flowing for everyone.  Then steps Nate and takes advantage of the situation.

Without Rondo, when Nate is running the point in most games he can't see the floor well.  Its harder for him in some ways because he is always towered by his defender.  He can't even physically see the floor very well especially in the half court setting.  Then Doc has to put Nate at the shooting guard spot and have PP run the PG spot.  Even though Paul sees the floor well, he can't protect the ball even if his life defends on it.  Other than Paul and Rondo (and maybe Delonte) no one can run the offense for us.

Running the offense is not a joke.  It isnt about being a good individual shooter, or a gifted Free throw shooter.  A PGs primary responsibility is to get a good offensive vibe going.  Period.  Rondo is extremely successful at this.  League leading 52% shooting by a long shot (PROOF). 

What is more important?  Us shooting 52% as a team from the field?  Or our PG shooting 40% from the free throw line?  We take 70-85 shots a game from the field.  Our PG takes maybe 3 FTs from the line each game.  Seriously, what is more important?

Don't use statistics in a flawed manner.  Continually stating Rondo poor free throw % is flawed.  All other statistics point to the opposite conclusion.  All other statistics overwhelmingly outweigh Rondo's poor FT shooting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Anybody know how many days Rondo's been out of action?  Doc said he's starting to get close to coming back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]Anybody know how many days Rondo's been out of action?  Doc said he's starting to get close to coming back.
    Posted by breaktime[/QUOTE]

Great... maybe we'll start winning again.

Pud

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : Great... maybe we'll start winning again. Pud
    I guess I make a good straight man.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : Petey, As most of us did growing up "playing ball" and in other aspects of our individual lives, we continuously strive to get better at our chosen professions and activities.  It is my belief that Rondo is no different, while you seem to project the opinion that he is not trying to improve upon his mid-range game or free throw shooting.  Undeniably, you articulate a love for the Celtics, as do many on this site who constantly nag about the shortcomings of Rondo; however, to suggest Rondo is not making every effort to "perfect his game" and that he is not working "EVERYDAY perfecting ALL of his skills" appears to suggest that you have greater insight into his day-to-day routines and practice habits than the rest of us, wouldn't you agree ?  So please tell me how many free throws he attempted and made at each of the last 10 practice sessions at which you observed?  How many mid-range jumpers did he attempt daily during the offseason?  More importantly, how many did he miss?  It is my opinion after seeing all 27 games the Celtics have played during this regular season that his mid-range jumper looks to be improving, but he's not taking many shots so we don't get to see the KoMe the Ballhog 20+ shots a game or even the 15+ shots DWill often takes (usually making less than half).  In an ideal world, practice would make perfect, but as we all know -- it's not an ideal world!  I'd really like to know how many FTs Shaq, Wilt, Ben Wallace, and Dwight Howard shoot (or shot) on a daily basis and how that translates(ed) into improved FT shooting in the game.  Wouldn't you agree that despite the best efforts of many of the NBA's premier players that none of them have pefected the art of FT shooting and many of them fall woefully short of the unattainable perfection. Additionally, I would love for Rondo to shoot more than the measly 51, 52, or 53 percent he's been shooting from the field in recent seasons, but when I compare it to his fellow point guards it doesn't look all that bad.  Maybe if he could up his percentage from the field to about 80% we'd give him a break on his shooting woes, wouldn't you agree ?  Maybe, just maybe, because I choose to accentuate the positive while not overlooking or grossly exaggerating some obvious deficiencies, makes me a little more realistic than some of the posters on this forum. Changing gears a bit, I often read your posts and don't disagree with much of what you opine.  They are well thought out, succinct and promote positive dialogue.  Until the next time and... As Always,
    Posted by JamLock[/QUOTE]

JamLock, as always, great debating and I do enjoy reading your opinions too.

I would agree with you that I do not have any greater insight as to the practice habits of Rondo and the Celtics.  But what you cannot argue with is THE RESULT.  It stands to reason that if Rondo is shooting 200 free throws in practice and THIS is the result, then he should be shooting 500.  You cannot argue that!

It affects his entire game too.  How effective is a player who refuses to attack the rim for fear of having to shoot free throws if he's fouled?  What other elite point guard (and Rondo is elite) in the NBA HAS NOT SHOT A FREE THROW IN THE MONTH OF DECEMBER?  That is a very telling statistic!  A player who is frequently left unguarded has not attempted a foul shot in the month of December.  Unbelievable!

I agree with your point about FT shooting with Shaq, Wilt, Wallace and Howard.  However, these guys do not possess the ball as much as Rondo.  Rondo is the "engine that stirs the drink" as said by Charles Barkley.  Rondo is our floor general and when that floor general stays on the perimeter for fear of getting fouled and having to attempt foul shots, I find that unacceptable.  There's work to be done - in practice!

I don't know how else I can accentuate the positive by acknowledging his prowness with assists and his uncanny knack for getting rebounds.  But my mere acknowledgement of any deficiency causes an uproar and being tabbed a "hater" or "basher".

I love Rondo and I love his game and I feel he is a great leader of THIS Celtics team.  But I think he'd be a much dangerous player for THIS Celtics team if he became a more consistent mid-range and free throw shooter.

I have seen a "MARKED IMPROVEMENT" in Big Baby's mid-range shooting and foul shooting.  It is obvious that Baby worked on his shot and you can visibly see the improvement.  That is what I'm saying we SHOULD see out of Rondo and his shooting.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : At least after the last few games we can put the Nate for point guard argument away for good. He is an ok addition but no one we want to rely on in crunch time.

gtown, I saw that thread too.  I like Nate but he is not a PG.  He will do for a short stint against mediocre competition but he is not even a true short-term solution to our PG problems.  We are currently getting by with Nate at the helm and I honestly appreciate how hard he's trying to get it right.  He's just not a PG.  He doesn't have those instincts.

I believe we'd be thinking a tad differently if that PG was Delonte West.  I believe if Delonte was healthy and playing the point while Rondo is healing, I think there might be some debate (Rondo is our leader but debate nonetheless).  I know we'd be running alot smoother with Delonte at the point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Delonte in the lineup and we miss Rondo not at all. Nate is not a PG. We need a competent PG in the lineup.

We do miss the crises of confidence spectacles that Rondo displays in 4th quarters when the ball is in his hands and the ops are daring him to shoot.

I find it amazing that 5 years in this league and we continue to question this kid's "courage under fire"... no longer under our collective breaths anymore...  but openly!

A recent writeup in the Globe praise Rondo profusely for finding the courage to take a potential game winning shot. You'd have thought that he won some sort of Profiles in Courage award.

Didn't hit the shot... but the author's point was that Rondo shot the ball. I guess we should be satisfied with incremental (think baby steps) progress.

It does reveal just how low the bar has been set for Rondo to take/make shots at crunch time.

The bar simply can't be moved any lower. Its lying on the ground.

Pud

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

yeah, i was not a "nate for crunch time" aficianado to begin with.  The only way THAT works is if the larger delonte is in there with him.  Then nate can do his thing.  and i honestly think that with rondo at 42% success rate during stopped clock 15 footers, we should really check out the nate-delonte combo and try it as SOON as delonte gets back, and see what we have in that regard.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : Yeah and the PGs primary role is to hit a crazy high free throw %.  Otherwise, he is a dud. I like the way you evaluate this spot.  What criteria do you use for SF and PF?
    Posted by bilalkazmi[/QUOTE]

they have to be able to lift the potty seat and make all of their business into it on the first try.

Are you really serious?  I mean get out of here.  Talk about simplistic ignorant one dimensional thinking.  RONDO HAS TO BE ABLE TO HIT FT% and OPEN BASIC JUMPERS in order to FILL HIS ROLE and BE AN EFFECTIVE POINT GUARD- no sag away D and no scaredy cat rondo with ball handling late in games if he can shoot DECENT 75% ft's, right?

i can't believe i read some of this crap from people defending rondo.  it's NOT a personal attack, it's just a desire to have basic fundamentals at the (very important) position of PG.

imgaine a cost accountant- they don't have to be math geniuses, but they have to be good with numbers, right?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]A recent writeup in the Globe praise Rondo profusely for finding the courage to take a potential game winning shot. You'd have thought that he won some sort of Profiles in Courage award. Didn't hit the shot... but the author's point was that Rondo shot the ball . I guess we should be satisfied with incremental (think baby steps) progress. It does reveal just how low the bar has been set for Rondo to take/make shots at crunch time. The bar simply can't be moved any lower. Its lying on the ground. Pud

oh cripes.  i didn't realize we had glob reporters proppping up this fiasco of a shooting season.  what you recite (and i trust you aren't making it up) is literally the sort of congratulatory accolades for "trying" something that we give to our children when they are in the third grade starting tee ball, or the first big shot taken for a basketball team at age 9 or 10. 

but it's generally not reserved for folks pocketing 10 million a year at their trade.  amazing. 

the glob was always great at enabling pitino's crackhead proclivities for stacking up the most awful possible contracts on sub mediocre players into green uniforms up to the bitter end.  i guess they have found the next thing to cover up for.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : they have to be able to lift the potty seat and make all of their business into it on the first try. Are you really serious?  I mean get out of here.  Talk about simplistic ignorant one dimensional thinking.  RONDO HAS TO BE ABLE TO HIT FT% and OPEN BASIC JUMPERS in order to FILL HIS ROLE and BE AN EFFECTIVE POINT GUARD- no sag away D and no scaredy cat rondo with ball handling late in games if he can shoot DECENT 75% ft's, right? i can't believe i read some of this crap from people defending rondo.  it's NOT a personal attack, it's just a desire to have basic fundamentals at the (very important) position of PG. imgaine a cost accountant- they don't have to be math geniuses, but they have to be good with numbers, right?

You make good points.  But where your points fall down is that Rondo actually IS an effective point guard.  I am one of the rare people on the middle on this.  I agree that the Celtics could have 15 other point guards and be just as good.  I also recognize that they are good with Rondo.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

RONDO is the "RIGHT ANSWER"...

Imagine if A.I. hadn't been a headcase ?

He could have been Rondo !

Great that they have continued the win streak without Rondo

Glad he has a few weeks off

Delonte will be back soon and Daniels has been OK bringing up the ball

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : You make good points.  But where your points fall down is that Rondo actually IS an effective point guard.  I am one of the rare people on the middle on this.  I agree that the Celtics could have 15 other point guards and be just as good.  I also recognize that they are good with Rondo.
    Posted by Icon11[/QUOTE]

you know, your points fall apart in the playoffs.  that's what i'm talking about. EACH and EVERY playoff in the last 3 years, Rondo was rendered utterly ineffective through his own low self esteem from flagrant shot bricking for extended and/or crucial periods of time, and it killed the team.

When rondo is "on", nobody's better.  but he visibly DOES NOT even try to practice in game shooting in the regular season and then believes that in the last 10 to 15 games max he can somehow hone in his touch and have it actually last throught he playoffs.  i've really never seen anything like it in a pro player.  I don't understand why the team lets him get away with it.  Extension and all, he should be locked in the gym with Tony Robbins, KG and Stewart Smalley until the damn FT's go in the right way.

So for the purposes of any one given or a stretch of given regular season games, or even a series or two in the playoffs, Rondo can be MVP candidate material.  BUT, the music always stops at some point in time with his shooting.  It's never NOT happened that he goes stone Ray charles cold from the field and line and looks and is bashful and ineffective and opens up a world of misery on ray, paul and kg in the half court set as his man (KOBEEEE!!, we gave KOBE the night off defensively in last year's finals and let him get away with that- we had no choice, did we?) sag, double down and away and clog lanes.

This is what I am talking about, playoff basketball, the arena where rondo falls flat like clockwork each year after a burst of effectiveness as an all around player.  Then we give kobe all the rest time he needs on defense.  I'm sorry but if you're rondo and you're causing that sort of competitive disadvantage in the half court set for us in the nba finals, then it really does all fall on your shoulders as the reason why we lost that series and don't have two rings for this new big 3, iffy KG and all, we should have been able to do it. 

Simply give us a mediocre PG in that series who can shoot and keep defenses honest and we win easily.  Hopefully that is what delonte gives us this year.  Because when rondo goes stinko in the post season with 20% free throws, he needs to get off the floor.  Period.  If we give kobe nights off again on D this year, I'd sooner find knitting needles and jam them into my eyeballs then watch the games and us losing the series in a most painful manner.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : oh cripes.  i didn't realize we had glob reporters proppping up this fiasco of a shooting season. 

acie: I'm not making this up. The following is a recent Gary Washburn article entitled.... "Rondo Grabs At His Chance" from the Globe:

Enjoy!

Pud

In a moment of failure, Rajon Rondo took a major step forward as a leader and a franchise point guard

The scouting report on Rondo is brutally honest. Leave him alone on the perimeter. If he hits three in a row, leave him alone. If he hits five, leave him alone.

It won’t change for a while, regardless of how much Rondo works on his most glaring weakness — his jump shot. In the waning seconds of the Celtics’ 89-87 loss last night at American Airlines Center, Rondo was left alone for a jump shot, the Mavericks using five defenders to check four Celtics.

Trailing by 2, Rondo held the ball standing at the 3-point line, his teammates staring at him. The Mavericks waited for his dribble penetration but realized he didn’t have enough time for an acrobatic shot. He waited a few more moments, set his feet, and launched a 3-pointer with 3.8 seconds left. The ball felt silky coming off his fingers, but like a fairway drive, it tailed to the right, clanging off the rim. Ray Allen gathered the rebound with 2.8 seconds left but Jason Terry intelligently fouled him as the Mavericks had one to give.

In reality, the game ended on Rondo’s miss. But the fact he attempted the 3-pointer was progress for a player who has sometimes tried to camouflage his detractors. During last year’s NBA Finals, when Rondo was struggling with his free-throw shooting, he curtailed his drives to the basket. On countless occasions last season, Rondo passed on open jumpers, seeking refuge with a pass to a covered teammate. This year he is snapping those jumpers and burning defenses with his improved range. Rondo is years from being considered a 3-point shooter, but he is more comfortable with the long-range jumper than pundits believe.

Last night, he fell short in his bid to convert a rare game-winner, but the victory here is in the fortitude to try. No one uttered a word of criticism, only encouragement. The training wheels are officially off. “He’s wide open,’’ forward Paul Pierce said. “He was open two or three seconds before he even took it. We were begging him to shoot it. Hey, we’ll take that, a wide open look. Rondo, he’s showed he can make those shots, especially under pressure situations. I take it. I told him after the game, I’ll take that shot.’’

There is still stubbornness in Rondo, a refusal to acknowledge his jumper is a weakness. That teams are blatantly inviting him to shoot is a sign of disrespect for his perimeter game. Teammate Jermaine O’Neal said recently that once Rondo develops a jumper, much like what has been said about Derrick Rose and about Jason Kidd 10 years ago, his game will be impeccable. Rondo would like to think it’s impeccable now. The white elephant in his mental living room is that darn jumper. It’s improving, but it’s not yet there. It’s there in practice. It has been there during stretches this season, but until he knocks it down with consistency, he will be left alone. “The options were all taken away and I was open and I took the shot,’’ he said. “I was open, so I am going to take it if they give it to me. I got a lot of confidence in it. I thought it was good. I got my feet set, got a good look.’’ Rondo’s older teammates have been trying to hand him the leadership reins of this team for the past year, and Rondo has accepted the challenge in terms of running the offense and initiating dribble penetration to create open spaces for teammates, but he has yet to appear completely comfortable with that jumper. The Celtics are not going to win consistently when Rondo is one of the team’s scoring leaders, but they do need him to be more aggressive offensively. And last night he was, although his quest ended in disappointment. It’s Game 8, and the Celtics nearly clipped a hungry, motivated Mavericks team despite playing the second game of a back-to-back. Dallas treated this game as if it were the NBA Finals, with motions and gyrations toward the crowd after big baskets and a bigger-than-usual celebration after a November win. The Celtics took Dallas’s best shot and nearly survived. But this early season is as much about establishing roles and confidence as it is about winning. The next time, Rondo won’t hesitate to launch that 3-pointer and perhaps it will go down. But the Celtics have been begging Rondo to be more assertive with his shot, and he has reluctantly accepted the pleas.“I have confidence in myself,’’ he said. “When my teammates have it in me, it’s always encouraging. I had a good look. It just didn’t go down.’’

Gary Washburn can be reached at gwashburn@globe.com.

Sections
Shortcuts