Today's Meeting

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

Re: Today's Meeting

In PTI Michael Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser expect a deal to be done by Friday. Those who didn't want a deal done go watch Hockey.

Tongue Out

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Hey buddy, I guess we watch the same show!  ......are you an Around the Horn Fan as well....? (I am).....Sportsnation...? ......Michelle Beadle rocks in my opinion!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

Hey Duke how you been??  Nice to talk to you. I do watch them all. I watched the Dan Lebatard is highly questionable. Have to see it a few more time to judge if I like it or not. While I write watching ESPN Chris Browsard saying there is hope and possibilities. Hope they get it done soon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

I really don't give a crvp if there is no NBA game and no sight of reconcilement.
    NBA became so big (not by the game) and involved too much business & fraud.

Whatever happened to the old time when they just play and be competitive in many ways.

Like an apple tree, you need to prone the convoluted limps & shades to bear fruits. I hope NBA will not see  sunshine.

STERNSHITFAULT !

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

They're even talking about at least the possibility of squeezing in 82 games if they get this settled by the end of the weekend.  Which would be a disaster for everyone -- kind of like a dance marathon -- but especially so for the Celtics.  If it comes to seriously considering such a scheme the NBA should have its collective head examined.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Today's Meeting:
    [QUOTE]They're even talking about at least the possibility of squeezing in 82 games if they get this settled by the end of the weekend.  Which would be a disaster for everyone -- kind of like a dance marathon -- but especially so for the Celtics.  If it comes to seriously considering such a scheme the NBA should have its collective head examined.
    Posted by Number6Fan[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about the # of games that they play.  They already cancelled the first two weeks of the season.   The teams would still be able to play around 70 games or more.  That seems reasonable to me and I don't understand why they would feel that is necessary to play 82 games. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Today's Meeting : I agree with you about the # of games that they play.  They already cancelled the first two weeks of the season.   The teams would still be able to play around 70 games or more.  That seems reasonable to me and I don't understand why they would feel that is necessary to play 82 games. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Its all about the money, Susan!  Teams are paying the stadiums and other items so they want to get back some of that money.   I don't think it will happen, but the reason, to answer your comment above....is the money!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Today's Meeting : Its all about the money, Susan!  Teams are paying the stadiums and other items so they want to get back some of that money.   I don't think it will happen, but the reason, to answer your comment above....is the money!
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

You are correct, but since the owners own the team and have serious capital invested, shouldn't they MAKE some of it?  I wouldn't want to split it with the players - they have had it way too soft for too long.  What is their risk?  So, as offended as I am about your slavery comment, Mr. Gumbel, I think you are correct when you say it is about the money - just the wrong people are making it!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Today's Meeting : You are correct, but since the owners own the team and have serious capital invested, shouldn't they MAKE some of it?  I wouldn't want to split it with the players - they have had it way too soft for too long.  What is their risk?  So, as offended as I am about your slavery comment, Mr. Gumbel, I think you are correct when you say it is about the money - just the wrong people are making it!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

Wasn't trying to offend you with the slavery comment, just noting that workers aren't required to just do whatever an owner wants when the league is a monopoly (no other professional basketball league in the States).   

Sure - the owners should get a return......from managing their business for profit.  Their "product" is the players and since the players have agreed to a cut (significant cut), I'm just saying that the owners need to compromise, as well.  

As for what is their risk?  unlike most of us workers, these folks have had to work all their lives to get to be the best 300 players in the world.  They leave college, travel around the states as kids, do everything to gear toward this time in their lives......and risk injury or being cut.  Once their career in basketball is over, its over.  Their skills diminish fast (Iverson and others are examples) and when it happens, they have only what they saved.  If they are dumb and don't save, its their fault and if they are the higher paid players - they'll live rich lives.  But for many of the players, they make between $.5M to $3 or $4M for just a 2 to 5 years.  That's it for all the years they've geared toward this career.

So, I'm not asking for sympathy for them, hell - they may good money.  I'm just suggesting that it isn't that they take no risk.  In many ways, they take much more risk than owners who have much more to fall back on than the team they own.  Wyc will not go hungry if he sells the team.  If Bradley or Davis or someone of that ilk breaks a leg - they have very little to fall back on so I do think the players have risk.

I'm not suggesting the players get a raise or get something more......just that they have taken a cut and I now expect management to compromise and manage better so that the game gets back on the court.  A 51 ot 51.5% cut for the players (down from their current proposal) would be a good compromise rather than the owners being greedy trying to drive for an even larger cut in pay.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

The league is so big and too greedy ---- both the owners and the players.
    I have no sympathy for the player who makes millions, complain, lost their money to gambling, bad investment aside of having babies in multiple mothers. The money they are making is enormous,  not proportion to what I am paying for my family to attend a single game.

I hope they lost all their money and  players lost their jobS.
    I will be very sad if they strike a deal.
    Re-boot the system....too much virus in the systemYell

STERNSHITFAULT...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Today's Meeting : Wasn't trying to offend you with the slavery comment, just noting that workers aren't required to just do whatever an owner wants when the league is a monopoly (no other professional basketball league in the States).    Sure - the owners should get a return......from managing their business for profit.  Their "product" is the players and since the players have agreed to a cut (significant cut), I'm just saying that the owners need to compromise, as well.   As for what is their risk?  unlike most of us workers, these folks have had to work all their lives to get to be the best 300 players in the world.  They leave college, travel around the states as kids, do everything to gear toward this time in their lives......and risk injury or being cut.  Once their career in basketball is over, its over.  Their skills diminish fast (Iverson and others are examples) and when it happens, they have only what they saved.  If they are dumb and don't save, its their fault and if they are the higher paid players - they'll live rich lives.  But for many of the players, they make between $.5M to $3 or $4M for just a 2 to 5 years.  That's it for all the years they've geared toward this career. So, I'm not asking for sympathy for them, hell - they may good money.  I'm just suggesting that it isn't that they take no risk.  In many ways, they take much more risk than owners who have much more to fall back on than the team they own.  Wyc will not go hungry if he sells the team.  If Bradley or Davis or someone of that ilk breaks a leg - they have very little to fall back on so I do think the players have risk. I'm not suggesting the players get a raise or get something more......just that they have taken a cut and I now expect management to compromise and manage better so that the game gets back on the court.  A 51 ot 51.5% cut for the players (down from their current proposal) would be a good compromise rather than the owners being greedy trying to drive for an even larger cut in pay.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Trust me, I have NO problem with what you are saying....but BRI is only a portion of the problem.  The problem is teams like the Knicks that have salary cap space waiting for Melo to become a free agent.  See, Melo told the Nuggets to trade him - but he was going to the Knicks anyway....the whole league knew that.....so why would anyone make a great trade for a guy who ONLY wants to play for the Knicks?  The Nugs should get like 3 first round picks - or something, other than giving the Knicks the player they want, and taking their garbage!!  The other problem is the owners want to eliminate "bad" contracts like Walton, Arenas and Lewis.  True, no one held a gun to their head, but let's look at a local example:
    IF the season started today, the Boston Celtics have 6 players under contract. ( not couting 2011 rookies).  In order to be competitive, they HAVE to sign the following:  Green, West and Baby.......and they will have to overpay for them.  In addition, Jermaine O'Neal is their only center.  They will also have to overpay for the likes of Aaron Gray.  So, just to be competitive, they will be losing money again this year...and we will have some bad contracts.  The other solution is to not sign anyone and stink this year, and HOPE to land a big name FA next year.........tough call?  You bet - which is why, I believe, the owners are really not as close to making a deal as we are led to believe.........think of the cost savings on salaries, lights, security, private jets, hotel rooms and luxury busses alone...............if you get rid of the bad contracts, there is a chance of seeing a profit for all teams.  And if there is a cap on contracts and extensions, and guarantees, then the smaller teams can still compete and make money.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Red, I see your points, understand them, and in many cases - agree with you.  I may be naive, but I simply think that the C's will have to say to Green, West, and Baby that we'll only pay you "$X" and X has to be within their budget.  If all the owners simply say to themselves that "I intend not to break the bank - I intend to be profitable or breakeven", then they will hold the line.  If I'm one of the owners holding the line and another set of owners are going way over budget and losing money, I won't support them in this negotiation where good decision makers (Danny made a GOOD decision with Posey, for example and a good decision with BBD to hold the line).  

I think Danny went overboard on what he paid O'Neal, had VERY bad doctors who told him O'neal would be ok on that knee.  I think he'll make an even WORSE mistake if he over pays for a guy like Gray.....a journeyman at best.  Danny should be smart and NOT end up with a Walton or Arenas or Lewis by simply saying "NO, I won't take that chance on a medium quality player".   That would be a huge mistake. 

Danny should go to the D-League, get a good (not great) D-league center and let him be the backup.  Then Doc has to do his job and train the rookies and the D-leaguer so that the team has decent backups (something Doc is not always good at).....and the C's are profitable.

Being profitable means taking a chance and making tough investment decisions.  That's what good business people do and i want to see the owners be good decision makers.

Believe me, I'm not so much disagreeing with you as I'm just hoping that ALL sides get more reasonable and make better decisions.   I have no problem with KG's contract - he earned it.  I have no problem with Kobe's nor LeBron's nor Wade's contract.  I have major issues with Posey, BBD, O'Neal, Curry, Walton, Rashard Lewis, etc.  Who on this board would have EVER thought that those were good deals for some team to sign.   None of those players EVER showed the kind of talent that warranted a long term high value contract.  They could all have been let go to another team rather than sign those deals (and I'm proud of Danny for not paying BBD big money even though I love the guy and his heart).   He may last 2 more years or 10 more years but right now, he's no all star and he's not worth a high value, long term deal.   

Management disclipline.  Don't you think so?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

oops.... meant to say:  " I won't support them in this negotiation where good decision makers (Danny made a GOOD decision with Posey, for example and a good decision with BBD to hold the line) are holding the line while the bad ones want relief on their dumb ash contracts!"

I'm a terrible typist.  Sorry.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Today's Meeting : Trust me, I have NO problem with what you are saying....but BRI is only a portion of the problem.  The problem is teams like the Knicks that have salary cap space waiting for Melo to become a free agent.  See, Melo told the Nuggets to trade him - but he was going to the Knicks anyway....the whole league knew that.....so why would anyone make a great trade for a guy who ONLY wants to play for the Knicks?  The Nugs should get like 3 first round picks - or something, other than giving the Knicks the player they want, and taking their garbage!!  The other problem is the owners want to eliminate "bad" contracts like Walton, Arenas and Lewis.  True, no one held a gun to their head, but let's look at a local example: IF the season started today, the Boston Celtics have 6 players under contract. ( not couting 2011 rookies).  In order to be competitive, they HAVE to sign the following:  Green, West and Baby.......and they will have to overpay for them.  In addition, Jermaine O'Neal is their only center.  They will also have to overpay for the likes of Aaron Gray.  So, just to be competitive, they will be losing money again this year...and we will have some bad contracts.  The other solution is to not sign anyone and stink this year, and HOPE to land a big name FA next year.........tough call?  You bet - which is why, I believe, the owners are really not as close to making a deal as we are led to believe.........think of the cost savings on salaries, lights, security, private jets, hotel rooms and luxury busses alone...............if you get rid of the bad contracts, there is a chance of seeing a profit for all teams.  And if there is a cap on contracts and extensions, and guarantees, then the smaller teams can still compete and make money. That's my two cents, for what it's worth!!
    Do you still believe what you said since July according to your self that there would be no season this year? It isn't looking too good for your prediction.

-Regards-

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Today's Meeting : Do you still believe what you said since July according to your self that there would be no season this year? It isn't looking too good for your prediction.                                                              -Regards-
    Posted by TheNewGKDynasty[/QUOTE]

I stand by every word of it!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Today's Meeting : It's not also looking too good for your prediction, GK. Chris Broussard:  Talks btwn the players & owners just ended. Split of BRI is still the issue. Neither side budging. Players still at 52, owners at 50 .  Twitter Sources: More NBA games canceled With talks between the players and owners breaking off, NBA commissioner David Stern will announce the cancellation of more games on Friday, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard. http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7153136/david-stern-announce-more-game-cancellations-sources-say
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

They were discussing this on ESPN today.  They cancelled the games for the entire month of November.  It definitely wasn't positive news.  Earlier in the day I heard Chris Mannix discussing the lockout on a show on channel 52.   The two sides seemed to be close to settling this lockout and within the next couple of hours Stern announced that the two sides couldn't reach an agreement.  Definitely not looking good and I wouldn't be surprised if more games are cancelled.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Today's Meeting : I stand by every word of it!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Today's Meeting :
    Posted by TheNewGKDynasty[/QUOTE]

Problem?  At least I've taken a stand!

Sections
Shortcuts