Today's NBA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Today's NBA

ok, I have one question......today's league is supposedly filled with the greatest talent ever seen, especially with all of the Euro's that are playing.....

Miami starts arguably the best player in the game, another top five, and another all star....they get to add another ten players or so to round out the roster....and they lose in six games to a clear underdog? .....how is this so...? if this league is overflowing with great basketball talent....then what gives?

The entire media is talking about the worthless group of players that surrounded this current "Big 3".......much like the Laker's bench.....where is this wealth of talent we keep hearing about....?

What has happened to all the talent that had teams like LA and Boston having such deep rosters? (remember the term "the Great Eight for the Lakers back in the early '80's?)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Re: Today's NBA

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......................................

There is no time machine, Duke. There is no time machine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

wow, good way to answer the question huh....? your showtime Lakers were much deeper and would blow your current team away.....take a look at the rosters....better and deeper talent 30 years ago...such as...

Jabbar
    Magic
    Worthy
    Scott
    Nixon
    Green
    Thompson

hell, Rambis beats anyone you currently bring off the bench....with all the high flying antics of Shannon Brown, why the hell is Fisher still your starting point guard?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In Response to Today's NBA:
    ok, I have one question......today's league is supposedly filled with the greatest talent ever seen, especially with all of the Euro's that are playing..... Miami starts arguably the best player in the game, another top five, and another all star....they get to add another ten players or so to round out the roster....and they lose in six games to a clear underdog? .....how is this so...? if this league is overflowing with great basketball talent....then what gives? The entire media is talking about the worthless group of players that surrounded this current "Big 3".......much like the Laker's bench.....where is this wealth of talent we keep hearing about....? What has happened to all the talent that had teams like LA and Boston having such deep rosters? (remember the term "the Great Eight for the Lakers back in the early '80's?)
    Posted by Duke4

Very simple answer Duke. The Heat had top loaded their roster with super stars( their big 3) eating up a large chunk of  their salary cap money. This forced Dallas to fill their out their next 5 spots with lessor valued players.

\ Heres a comparison between Miami and Dallas salary wise.

Miami-- 4 players made 5 mil. or more.( the 4th made exactly 5 mil.)
               The 5th made 3.5 mil.
               The 6th made 3.3 mil.
               The rest made 1.3 mil. or less.

Dallas-- The top 7 made 7.3 mil. or more.
               The 8th made 4.1 mil.
               The 9th made 2.8 mil.
               The rest made 1.8 mil. or more 
    In this particular case the deeper team won.

Because of their "payroll structure" Dallas was able to put a deeper team together.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In Response to Re: Today's NBA:
    wow, good way to answer the question huh....? your showtime Lakers were much deeper and would blow your current team away.....take a look at the rosters....better and deeper talent 30 years ago...such as... Jabbar Magic Worthy Scott Nixon Green Thompson hell, Rambis beats anyone you currently bring off the bench....with all the high flying antics of Shannon Brown, why the hell is Fisher still your starting point guard?
    Posted by Duke4

Here your comparing teams from within the Modern era.  The differences are much less pronounced within this era.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I agree buddy but that's my point .....the "kids' are arguing the point that all the players in this league are better basketball players than they were 30, 40, even 50 years ago.....I agree that they are better athletes due to today's regimen of weight training, diet, and supplements...and the fact that the human body evolves throughout the years.....today's athletes are bigger and stronger.....but they do not play better basketball .....according to them guys like Sasha would've been stars back in the day....I disagree.....it's kind of like the argument of which franchise is the greatest....we can all argue and point out facts...but it also comes down to our individual opinions...I think this league is watered down just like MLB and I would be in favor of some contraction....just my opinion...I don't really believe that I am going to change the minds of other posters...but as long as the discussions go back and forth, I'll continue to chime in......thanks for your input Seems......you do have a way of putting things into perspective....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

I agree buddy but that's my point .....the "kids' are arguing the point that all the players in this league are better basketball players than they were 30, 40, even 50 years ago.....I agree that they are better athletes due to today's regimen of weight training, diet, and supplements...and the fact that the human body evolves throughout the years.....today's athletes are bigger and stronger.....but they do not play better basketball .....according to them guys like Sasha would've been stars back in the day....I disagree.....it's kind of like the argument of which franchise is the greatest....we can all argue and point out facts...but it also comes down to our individual opinions...I think this league is watered down just like MLB and I would be in favor of some contraction....just my opinion...I don't really believe that I am going to change the minds of other posters...but as long as the discussions go back and forth, I'll continue to chime in......thanks for your input Seems......you do have a way of putting things into perspective....
    Posted by Duke4

Please go jump on that time machine already. I can hardly make it through another one of your post talking about basketball when it is was played with peach baskets.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

I mentioned that aspect as well. Miami starts Anthony and Bibby and still were favorites for the title. And Bosh is not even a real star player. The bench and the starting PG of LA is extremly weak for a contender. Cs had a fair bench for this league (Doc still didn't use it), but a core of aging stars, an undersized PF as 6th man and a 39 year old as Center. Howard is the best 5 in the league but has no offense moves. A below average 5 like Perkins becomes a multimillion dollar contract like he is a cornerstone of a franchise.

Where is that great talent in this league hiding?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Have to agree with Duke...

The modern NBA full of prima donas cause they make so much $$$..

Many of the teams/players rely upon dunks, FT's and 3 point bombs for offense.

Bet if you did an analysis of how many points are scored without including dunks, FT's & 3pointers, you'd be amazed. 

The individual athleticism has increased as has the dunking ability and travelling..but what about playing the game?? Frankly, I can go back to lots of different era's to find better ball imo... and better rounded rosters..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

that is my point as well.....the kids talk about the days of the peach baskets....let me tell you, Sandy Koufax, who retired 45 years ago would be a star today....the greats of the past such as Mays, Musial, Mantle would all be stars....go back to Bob Feller and his peers....go back even further.....baseball has been loaded for decades with greats...Football stars of the past might not be a large as they are today....but is anyone telling me that Jimmy Brown (6-2 232 who ran with speed, power, and moves) wouldn't be a star today?......Johnny U couldn't play in today's game?...in basketball, is anyone telling me that Elgin Baylor and Jerry West would've been bench players today if they could even make a roster? ....guys like Wilt and Russ from the early days? .........Kareem entered the league 42 years ago and was officially listed as 7-2 225....he was an immediate star and played seemingly forever....I will leave it at that.....the greats would all be successful....Muhammed Ali and Rocky Marciano would still be greats...anyway, I've said my piece....as with several agruements that have been going on for over a year on this board....I guess we are all beating a dead horse.....to the many of you that post intelligent and well thought out (or researched) posts I say thank you....to the wiseass kids....you guys will grow up soon....and just remember....according to your thinking.....MJ, Kobe, and LeBron will be ancient history and of no inportance to the next generation of fans....that is kind of sad...you will realize it when you are my age...and you will appreciate what you were able to see...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

Have to agree with Duke... The modern NBA full of prima donas cause they make so much $$$.. Many of the teams/players rely upon dunks, FT's and 3 point bombs for offense. Bet if you did an analysis of how many points are scored without including dunks, FT's & 3pointers, you'd be amazed.  The individual athleticism has increased as has the dunking ability and travelling..but what about playing the game?? Frankly, I can go back to lots of different era's to find better ball imo... and better rounded rosters..
    Posted by Karllost

"Bet if you did an analysis of how many points are scored without including dunks, FT's & 3pointers, you'd be amazed"

Did that for you Karl. For me the answer was quite expected. I took out the free throw shooting points and all the points scored on 3 point baskets and came up with the following scoring figures.

I used the years 2010-11 and 1960-61.

In 1960-61 there were 57,336 points scored on 69,136 shots. THAT AMOUNTS TO 83 POINTS PER 100 SHOTS.

IN 2010-11 There were 151,440 points scored on 155,490 shots. THAT AMOUNTS TO 97 POINTS PER 100 SHOTS.
     No way to determine the number of dunks but if you can put your hand over the rim I would guess that a simple lay-in would be an extremely high percentage shot.
    Seems

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsNot1966anymor. Show ItsNot1966anymor's posts

I'm not sure what the point of this post is, but here's what it sounds like.  The Celtics won 11 rings in 13 years, most of them coming in the 1960s.  The Celtics have won only 1 ring since 1986.  It can't be  that Boston's relevance has taken a dive.  It must be  that the League is worse now than it was then.  I simply can't admit the greatness of a League where Boston doesn't dominate like it did 50 years ago.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

ItsNot1966anymor hit the nail on the head.

Duke4 is wanting to go back in time and bring back the black and white TV.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsNot1966anymor. Show ItsNot1966anymor's posts

Let's take the Lakers and Celtics out of it in an attempt at objectivity.  The 2003, 2005 and 2007 Spurs were all reminiscent of the depth you used to see in the 80s - the 2005 Spurs especially.  Yet, none of them managed to win back-to-back championships, or even get to the Finals in consecutive years.  That's right, they were beaten by "star driven" teams.  For about 3 - 4 years, the Kings had a roster with as much depth as the teams in the 80s, and so did Portland for a couple years, and neither of those teams even got to the Finals.  The fact they got repeatedly ousted shows how good today's teams are.  Do the bottom 25% suck?  Yes, and they did in every other era too.  The League is still great - Boston simply isn't is great on the level it used to be.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from icnd. Show icnd's posts

In Response to Today's NBA:
    ok, I have one question......today's league is supposedly filled with the greatest talent ever seen, especially with all of the Euro's that are playing..... Miami starts arguably the best player in the game, another top five, and another all star....they get to add another ten players or so to round out the roster....and they lose in six games to a clear underdog? .....how is this so...? if this league is overflowing with great basketball talent....then what gives?
    Posted by Duke4

Are you saying "clear underdogs" didn't win in the past?  I remember the Lakers lost to "clear underdogs" to Houston in 1981 and 1986, and to Phoenix in 1990.  What about the "clear underdogs" Pistons in 2004?  Dallas got hot at the right moment, thanks to an unbelievable Nowitzki, and superb 3 pt shooting.  It might've been one of those "lighting in a bottle" year for them and they could very well revert back to old form next year.  One thing that shouldn't shock an old-timer like you is the inherent randomness of sports.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Good post as usual 66.........my last words on this and to set the record straight....this all started with the Hollinger article, claiming the Lakers as the greatest all time franchise...that article was plastered all over this forum by Laker fans....fans began the debate...ultimately it came down to titles....since the Lakers have 5 to the Celtics 1 in recent years, Laker fans pointed  to the Celtic draught.....they went on to belittle all of Boston's accomplishments from the late '50's through the late '80's......then, ironically these same fans pointed to the 5 Laker titles won in the pre shot clock era...and clung to them as they pointed out that "now we're only one behind"....that is the key point......simply put it can be summarized as saying......"the Celtic titles of yesteryear mean nothing in today's conversation.....but the titles the Lakers won years earlier in Minnesota mean everything"......time to put it to rest....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

to icnd.....very good point!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from icnd. Show icnd's posts

to icnd.....very good point!!!!
    Posted by Duke4

Thanks...I think.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Hey bud....it's all good man.....you are one of the Laker posters that I respect (one of many I might add).....the kids just try to agitate while most of the adults seem to get along and share opinions honestly and with respect....that is the way I try to handle myself....I will admit that I sometimes react to the sarcasm and baiting.....usually I'm able to be better than that....

B

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from icnd. Show icnd's posts

Hey bud....it's all good man.....you are one of the Laker posters that I respect (one of many I might add).....the kids just try to agitate while most of the adults seem to get along and share opinions honestly and with respect....that is the way I try to handle myself....I will admit that I sometimes react to the sarcasm and baiting.....usually I'm able to be better than that.... B
    Posted by Duke4

Cool...nice to be recognized by one of the more seasoned and respected posters on this board.  I sometimes wonder why people get so agitated about a game played by millionaires but such is the nature of fandom.  And why does a Laker fan hang out on a Celtics board?  Because it's much more entertaining (with the back and forth banter) than loitering around an LA board (where they pat your back and soothe your egos).

Sections
Shortcuts