Tony Allen is TERRIBLE!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

Tony Allen is TERRIBLE!!!!

Thank God Danny didn't sign this guy. Talk about a team carying a player for years. I did think he did a decent job against Kobe in last year's playoffs but I'm looking at Allen's stats against the Lakers yesterday 4.29 minutes 0 points 0 rebounds 0 assists and 1 personal foul AND he was the 5th guy off the Memphis bench-against Kobe no less. Well Tony, maybe you should have stayed in Boston and been "overshadowed" by the rest of the team because your lack of a game isn't hidden anymore in Memphis. His game had been exposed and he's way overpaid. Thank you Chris Wallace!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFURY13. Show DFURY13's posts

Re: Tony Allen is TERRIBLE!!!!

That dude traded Gasol for garbage. What did you expect.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I think everyone knew about TA but Doc and TA

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

He stinks because he didn't score in the WHOLE 4 minutes he played? LOL

Tony doesn't stink.  Chris Wallace only gave him more than the Celtics were offering because he probably thought he was taking a needed piece from the Celtics.  I'll tell you what, if Marquis goes down you're going to wish you had Tony, especially with Delonte always being injured.  And Marquis always goes down at some point.

The only reason you're not missing Tony is because Marquis is playing well, and people weren't sure if that was going to be the case seeing as how Marquis played last season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Tony made a mistake (except for the $$) leaving Boston. He spent several years here and was a disaster mostly. A walking/talking turnover machine more out of control than a 3 year old bowling.

His game came together late last season, especially during the playoffs. But as I mentioned before, many players have spurts that make them seem very good... then disappear never to be heard from again. 

Tony finally found his role on the Celtics, became a good running mate for Rondo at times, played great individual defense and cut down on his turnovers... Was it going to stay that way? Maybe a 50/50 proposition. But leaving a skilled, well oiled machine like the Celtics was gonna wreck whatever he built up here.

Im surprised he gets so little minutes these days. A fish out of water? But he got his $$ and I wish him well. I dont think we're missing him here that much.  Some say if Quis goes down we will miss TA. Hey, if anybody goes down we're gonna miss someone. That doesnt make much sense and frankly, Im not so sure we wouldnt have seen the same old TA this season... a month or 2 of playing well doesnt during his career doesnt mean hes suddenly come of age.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I knew it was bad for TA when he signed. He was just starting to find his place with the C's and was going to get more exposure. Now he's in Siberia...with more money. LOL!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoBoston. Show GregoBoston's posts

His court vision and decision making is terrible.  He never really improved his outside shot.  Defensively, he is good at guarding quick players but struggles against players with a bigger bulk. 
    Nice guy but not worth overpaying. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

When he was here, you loved  'em to death...what's wrong with you people?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Hate to say it, but Tony Allen never struck me as a player who "got it", by which I mean he seemed to play outside of himself rather than accept that he's a role player.  I think he would've helped here, and I was perplexed to read that the reason he left was that he felt overshadowed.  I guess some guys just need to learn the hard way that they're just not stars.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

What we see with Tony we could see with several other players.  Boston (Doc and Danny) have a system and it helps players look better because it puts them in situations where they can excel (on both Defense and Offense).  True of Perk, Baby, etc.   Ray and Paul are great players but even they are in situations where they will do well because our system is designed to take advantage of a player's strengths.  Ray couldn't carry a team any longer nor could Paul.  But, for certain plays at certain times, there are no better players in the league!

So, TA benefitted from playing only key minutes where D was needed and where other players carried him on Offense (or gave him the ball where he could hit layups or dunks).  His J was truly ugly as was his free throw.   He looked better because Doc and Danny put guys in a system where they can excel and it helps our team win.

So, what we're now seeing in Memphis is a guy in a system where he has to stand on his own skill and not the team system.   In that environment, TA gets an "F".  But, I'd take him back in a heartbeat because in the playoffs when Paul is in foul trouble or Ray is not playing well, we will need a defensive stopper on Lebron or dWade or Kobe or some other player.  That's where we'd see his strengths.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

It was our lucky day when he left. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

here's some news for those who don't watch the D-League if Marquise turtles again this season then the C's will bring up Deshawn Sims the guy is tearing it up down on the farm.As for TA he found his golden goose, I'm glad Chris Wallace is the GM in Memphis because he isn't still in Boston making bad decision after bad decision...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

TA isn't terrible. He just doesn't fit in Memphis. He was a terrific role player for the Celtics. It took him some years to find that niche. Sadly, he may never discover that again. Let's not trash him. He was good for us.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

I will take Tony over Daniels!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from saraswatinamah. Show saraswatinamah's posts

Tony felt unloved in Boston... He was consistant in the role that you could never count on him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: Tony Allen is TERRIBLE!!!!:
    Tony felt unloved in Boston... He was consistant in the role that you could never count on him.
    Posted by saraswatinamah

If you're saying he was consistently inconsistent, I agree.  Every time you thought he'd seen the light, he would be benched for horrible play.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I knew it was bad for TA when he signed. He was just starting to find his place with the C's and was going to get more exposure. Now he's in Siberia...with more money. LOL!
    Posted by BiasLewis

I agree with you.  He was a good bench player when with the Celtics.  I find his role similar to James Posey.  Posey was one of the best bench players when with the Celtics.  Since that time, he hasn't really had the same opportunities. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

when the celtics are on the road, apparently the players are each alloted a certain number of game tickets to do with as they see fit. if one player is local to whatever city they're in, that player may need more tickets for family, friends, etc. than the normal allotment. in such cases, teammates can chip in and hand over their own tickets to accommodate that player. one time in chicago, hometown tony needed extra tickets from his teammates but did not receive them. he said he would not forget that. i wish tony was still a C, but it would appear there was some sort of disconnect there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

Tony Allen is a classic not bad enough  to fire not good enough to build a team around kind of player. If he had accepted his roll on the C's he would go down as a great Celtic player after being on the team that wins 18 and 19 in back to back years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChocoCity. Show ChocoCity's posts

What we see with Tony we could see with several other players.  Boston (Doc and Danny) have a system and it helps players look better because it puts them in situations where they can excel (on both Defense and Offense).  True of Perk, Baby, etc.   Ray and Paul are great players but even they are in situations where they will do well because our system is designed to take advantage of a player's strengths.  Ray couldn't carry a team any longer nor could Paul.  But, for certain plays at certain times, there are no better players in the league! So, TA benefitted from playing only key minutes where D was needed and where other players carried him on Offense (or gave him the ball where he could hit layups or dunks).  His J was truly ugly as was his free throw.   He looked better because Doc and Danny put guys in a system where they can excel and it helps our team win. So, what we're now seeing in Memphis is a guy in a system where he has to stand on his own skill and not the team system.   In that environment, TA gets an "F".  But, I'd take him back in a heartbeat because in the playoffs when Paul is in foul trouble or Ray is not playing well, we will need a defensive stopper on Lebron or dWade or Kobe or some other player.  That's where we'd see his strengths.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Ray can't carry a team any longer but I believe he could score closer to twenty a game if it called for it. I didn't think Tony Allen was a good player at all. Everytime he touched the ball i prayed he wouldn't do something stupid with it but he usually did anyway. Definitely wasn't said to see him go...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

"Tony Allen is a classic not bad enough to fire not good enough to build a team around kind of player. If he had accepted his roll on the C's he would go down as a great Celtic player after being on the team that wins 18 and 19 in back to back years."

• "Build a team around"???  He was "good" enough to fire, but building anything around him is laughable
    • A "great" Celtic[s] player?  Noooo.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

That dude traded Gasol for garbage.

Actually, the Pau Gasol trade was not as lopsided as people claim. The Grizzlies received Marc Gasol, Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittendon, Aaron McKie, Darrell Arthur, and Greivis Vasquez.

Marc Gasol is a solid center averaging 12 points/7 rebounds per game in 2010-11. Last year, he averaged 14 points/12 rebounds per game.

Darrell Arthur averages 9 points/5 rebounds this season.

Greivis Vasquez is a good defensive player in his rookie year.

With the money saved from Pau Gasol, the Grizzlies acquired and extended Zach Randolph, who made the Western Conference All-Star team last year.

So if you think about the deal as Pau Gasol for Zach Randolph contract extension, Marc Gasol, Darrell Arthur and Greivis Vasquez, it's not as outrageous as it initially seems. The T-Wolves only got slightly more for Kevin Garnett. We're in no position to complain.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dk33. Show dk33's posts

I consistently felt TA had a very very poor basketball IQ--and would be terrified that he would do something stupid in a big spot---ala '08 finals.  He was certainly serviceable last year and had his spots--but when I was frustrated would always scream that he was the dumbest player in the NBA....lets not forget this is the same guy who tore up his knee in '06 missing a dunk after the whistle on a dead play. Just not bright.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

TA played just 22 seconds against the Jazz tonight.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Sounds like TA's career is just about over when that contract expires

Sections
Shortcuts