too much mediocrity discussed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

too much mediocrity discussed

the board is full of mediocre names that the C's should entertain. Barnes, Oden, Jordan just to name a few. Why sign mediocrity to further stress the coking cap space? I would rather see the C's hoard that space for a potential superstar, and accept the fact that next years roster tweaks are of the one year variety.
    I do not envision any of the mentioned players settling for one year deals.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Re: too much mediocrity discussed

Well, Oden is not mediocre! Actually he is the total opposite.

Most likely he will never play for your team because he is always injured.
    That is not what I call mediocre!
    If there is a wonder he is going to be healthy and will be one of the best centers in the league (well, there is not much competition on this position).
    Also not really mediocre.

This guy is just a major gamble.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Greg Oden has played his freshman year at OSU. He has played 6 games in 08 and 7 games in 09. Thats it. What in the world would make you think that he is a ready NBA center, expecially after micro fracture surgery? Worse yet, after carefully structuring the team so that salary cap space opens up in a huge way, why piddle it away on players like this? Get the superstar with the max contract. Then fill in the supporting pieces.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: too much mediocrity discussed:
    [QUOTE]Well, Oden is not mediocre! Actually he is the total opposite. Most likely he will never play for your team because he is always injured. That is not what I call mediocre! If there is a wonder he is going to be healthy and will be one of the best centers in the league (well, there is not much competition on this position). Also not really mediocre. This guy is just a major gamble.
    Posted by Gasthoerer[/QUOTE]
    kind of like russell martin in baseball with the yanks. hurt for the last 3 seasons. at age 28, sox would not pass him on his physical, had reservations. yanks sign him and he's their best overall hitter this year and catching as good as ever. yep if he's 32 or over, i would worry. around 25, u roll the dice! one year deal or something like shaq deal. anyone else like a barnes who wants more than a 1 year deal, u just move in. only so many teams that can win rings and offer playing time. danny shoould be patient. i agree with thread poster not to overpay for average types. danny won't! btw, the clippers guy is a bad foul shooter but far from mediocre. could play the 4 or the 5.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

I am not sure that the Celtics can afford more than mediocrity.

I am also not sure that the Celtics need more than mediocrity.

They faced the Heat without a healthy Center, or a healthy point guard.

When the big three retire, then, lets talk.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: too much mediocrity discussed:
    [QUOTE]I am not sure that the Celtics can afford more than mediocrity. I am also not sure that the Celtics need more than mediocrity. They faced the Heat without a healthy Center, or a healthy point guard. When the big three retire, then, lets talk.
    Posted by MinnesotaCelticsFan[/QUOTE]

the big 3's age mandates mediocrity.

no teams in the past have remained relevant other than the '72 lakers with age.

so then what you need is innovation on the rotations to keep the old people fresh.  enter doc rivers- assassin of ray allen by too many minutes year after year.  doc rivers, also master of distrust with anyone under the age of 30 on the roster- see handling of jeff green, von wafer, glen davis at various points in the last few years, most notably the blunderous handling of green (not enough), davis (too much), delonte (couldnt' get mins even after rondo's arm ripped out by the roots) and wafer (disappeared as we played ray more than ever).

with doc here plus this aged 3 there is no chance for anything but possibly at best chance, mediocrity.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenSlime. Show GreenSlime's posts

Speaking of mediocrity, "aciemvp"s namesake is about as mediocre as it gets.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Acie,
    I don't agree with you on this.  The Celtics will not be mediocre they will be a weaker team with a chance to rebuild around already known weaknesses. If they can find some players who can help the big 3 with significantly less minutes this team will still be relevant. Let's see what Ainge and Doc have in mind before we start thinking we will be irrelevant.  I could still see fifty wins next year.  That is not mediocre.  After seeing Rose and Westbrook the last couple of days I will take Rondo as he complements this team and it's other players.  He is many IQ points smarter.  Important with a point guard if you know what I mean.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

The C's cannot do much next year due to $$ constraints. Any pieces they do pick up, must be on one year deals so that once KG and Ray do come off of the books, they can shoot for a star and have the money to deliver that star. No sense that money tied up in years 2 and 3 of Matt Barnes or Greg Oden.
    C's need to look for players who have made their money already, and will accept a one year deal/gamble, that playing with the C's can enhance their career down the road, with the C's or with another team. Think players such as M Redd. Coming off injury/inactivity. Has already made a ton of money. Doesn't need to try and establish himself again as an all star. He must prove he is healthy. Coming off the bench for the C's could allow him (a) 24-30 minutes a game, (b) at given times with the bench players Redd would be the #1 option allowing him to show health and ability.
    C's are gambling on Redd's health for one year, and Redd is gambling that the C's give him the chance to take minutes. Redd being a veteren player, will already have Doc's confidence, assuming health, making it a potential win/win for both player and team, and allowing the C's to also hold onto precious cap space for the following year. 

10. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts