Too much rest?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from N2thaIzzo. Show N2thaIzzo's posts

Too much rest?

In the NFL, teams (like the Patriots) tend to play their starters in week 17 because the concensus is, too much rest gets them out of rhythm.  Could the same be applied to the NBA?  Should the Celts be rooting for Miami to win tonight and have our series start (Sunday?) rather than have them lose and push it back a few more days.  How much rest is too much rest?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Re: Too much rest?

"If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!" — Mae West ...
    I tried looking for an apropo quote from Kim Kardashian but most of what was on the net was about hair removal (lots), plastic surgery (some), drinking (she doesn't) and other self referretionally uninteresting stuff.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Could be....but balance that against the pratice time...hard practices scheming for Miami that are giving JON and Green more assimilation time....and the rest, no travel,nick healing, for the staters....and Shaq still healing....this is the last real rest period they will get....couldn't be better, right now.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

For this team I think this amount of rest is good. It's not like they will be at home with their toes up on the couch. Doc may do some simulation games and try different lineups. The practice time will be good.

Doc should put a red shirt on Green and tell him to act like LeBron while scrimmaging. It will get his confidence and aggressiveness up and help the team prepare defensively.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Too much rest?:
    Could be....but balance that against the pratice time...hard practices scheming for Miami that are giving JON and Green more assimilation time....and the rest, no travel,nick healing, for the staters....and Shaq still healing....this is the last real rest period they will get....couldn't be better, right now.....
    Posted by mountainmonkey

I agree that teams can get rusty by waiting too long.   As long as they continue to practice, this shouldn't be a problem.   Also giving the bench more practice time couldn't hurt.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

If we can make it to the finals and that is the goal we don't want to run out of gas.  The rest is good, we may be flat the first game back but we should be able to come back with a sense of urgency shortly after.  It is the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

football more so than basketball.... there will be rust but it usually only lasts for half a quarter.

I really think starting the series on the road will solve this.  Look at how we played at home compared to on the road.  They will not be laxed and comfortable and they will have that sense of urgency on the road....so far the HCA is no big deal....just gotta steal one in Miami.....worry about next series if we get there,..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

It will not hurt us, D. West is hurt and he just may recover.  WE must remember that West played with James last year and could be very motivated against the heat after the things James has said and done , also he had a chance to study the reations of James under all types of pressures last year and his info might be valuable.  JO is playing great but I hear he is not 100% , the rest could help him, I think he has been one of the key reasons for our recent great play.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

good point...we need to let JON heal up his wrist and also good for the knees.  This team will go as far as JON's body will take us....as long as he plays the way he has been, we can atleast win the east, IMO

depending on who comes out the west,..he may be able to take us all the way....  I just dont see how people can say Shaq or Bust...to me, its a disrespect to the guys playing...where was Shaq in 08'....  How has any other team won without Shaq?  It didnt put Cleveland over the hump last year..so lets have faith in the guys that are suited up....and stop talking about Shaq unless we are talking about his playoff performance..if/when that happens...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Sometimes it is a problem. Sometimes a team has too much rest and you see them lose game 1 as a result. One could argue in part that happened in the first game with the knicks, where we came out flat and had to fight our way back into the game. 

On the flip side this is an older team, so the extra rest is probably good for them. Helps us get guys like Delonte right and maybe even Shaq, which could be huge. The extra time gives our coaching staff time to really study everything Miami has done this year and it gives our bench and JO more time to practice together and learn our offensive and defensive sets, almost acting as a mini training camp. So all in all I'd say there is risk but the good outweighs the bad. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from srinivasa. Show srinivasa's posts

I'm cheering for Philly. Take them down in 7! 
    All the rest (and practice) we can get is a bonus.
    Integrate Green more, rest our big 3, JO and perhaps this gives Shaq some extra time to make it back but that's a big ?
    Hopefully he can give us 10-15 quality minutes some games in this series, it would be another bonus. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Hi,
    This break is very good: 2 days of rest and repair, Doc can squeeze 3 full practices (very important, especially for the 2nd unit), a lot of time for analyses. I'd say all this well worth some rust.
    On the other side, I'd prefer that Mia wins tomorrow. They'll have 4 days rest: enough time to cool down and think. Think about 1-3 regular season result, think about their 1 walking center vs our 1.5 running centers, think what they gonna do about Rondo.
    If Mia goes to 6 or 7 games they will be "pumped", hot with a lot of momentum: a very good combination to go against a rusty opponent.
    Just my $0.02.

AK

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

In Response to Too much rest?:
    In the NFL, teams (like the Patriots) tend to play their starters in week 17 because the concensus is, too much rest gets them out of rhythm.  Could the same be applied to the NBA?  Should the Celts be rooting for Miami to win tonight and have our series start (Sunday?) rather than have them lose and push it back a few more days.  How much rest is too much rest?
    Posted by N2thaIzzo

Please get a life!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

In Response to Too much rest? : Please get a life!
    Posted by walk2run

That's mean man.  It's a legitimate question.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

for a veteran teem who has been here before, rest is key.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

Posted by N2thaIzzo

In football,if you have a bye you don`t play for 2 weeks.Different scenario entirely.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

They are getting a necessary rest. Not ONLY that, now the bench has sometime to gel also. I dont know anything about the SHAQ drama but HE would be HUGE in that series. HUGE get it, LOL tough crowd. OUR boys can really get it done. THe EAST is not really big in the inside. BUT to slow the bron and wade to drive. TO have that wall there would not be a bad thing. REST assured with REST we make it to the FINALS. JON has been the replacement and better because he has a shot then that guy in OKC

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, JO/SHAQ, Rondo... do you really think this team will get too much rest?  Absolutely not, as they NEED this rest to make a Finals run.  If this was a young team then there maybe a question...

To compare this to football is crazy, there is no one and done.   7 game series..... this is exactly what the C's want. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

For this team I think this amount of rest is good. It's not like they will be at home with their toes up on the couch. Doc may do some simulation games and try different lineups. The practice time will be good. Doc should put a red shirt on Green and tell him to act like LeBron while scrimmaging. It will get his confidence and aggressiveness up and help the team prepare defensively.
    Posted by BiasLewis

Nailed by Bias.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I'm sorry I keep reading posts... this is basketball, not football.  Rest is needed guys, relax. 

Enough of the too much rest thing.  This team is in their mid 30's, we need it. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

I'm sorry I keep reading posts... this is basketball, not football.  Rest is needed guys, relax.  Enough of the too much rest thing.  This team is in their mid 30's, we need it. 
    Posted by Getzo

Truth well said.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Posted by N2thaIzzo

How did I miss those two hams on Easter Sunday?  Wow.......

I don't think Doc will allow complacency and at the same time the Heat having another game against a young athletic team is probably a nice tune-up.

Heat by 30 in game 5 at home then a few days off and then stomp the rusty Cs in game 1 and then barely beat them in game 2 and then the series really starts.

There is only one question....... can the Cs win 4 of 5?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

A week for the new guys to have a mini camp and spend more time learning the system. A week for the vets to get some rest. It is a good thing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

In Response to Too much rest? : How did I miss those two hams on Easter Sunday?  Wow....... I don't think Doc will allow complacency and at the same time the Heat having another game against a young athletic team is probably a nice tune-up. Heat by 30 in game 5 at home then a few days off and then stomp the rusty Cs in game 1 and then barely beat them in game 2 and then the series really starts. There is only one question....... can the Cs win 4 of 5?
    Posted by TheDUDDER

Celtics must win one of two in Miami to start the series.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

In Response to Too much rest? : How did I miss those two hams on Easter Sunday?  Wow....... I don't think Doc will allow complacency and at the same time the Heat having another game against a young athletic team is probably a nice tune-up. Heat by 30 in game 5 at home then a few days off and then stomp the rusty Cs in game 1 and then barely beat them in game 2 and then the series really starts. There is only one question....... can the Cs win 4 of 5?
    Posted by TheDUDDER

I love my Easter ham almost as much as my Christmas goose.

Sections
Shortcuts