Top 10 All Time List

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Top 10 All Time List

Killing time before the Pats game.  Just read where Shaq said Dr. J was the best NBA player of all time!!  I love the good Doctor and even played golf with him, but I have him at #8.

Here's my list (with no apologies to Bill Russell or Rondo lovers:

1. Jordan

2. Wilt

3. Oscar 

4. Kobe

5. Lebron

6. Tie:  Bird and Magic (its only appropriate)

8. Dr. J

9+. Tie:  Shaq, Jabbar Duncan and Russell

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Re: Top 10 All Time List

Bird and Magic should be tied for 3rd, Oscar 4th, Kobe 5th, Dr. J 6th, Lebron 8th.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I can't do it that way, I have to do it in teams.....and by position:

Magic

MJ

Bird

Duncan

Russ

Team 1 - 75 wins and 16-0 playoffs

Big O'

kobe

LeBron

Mailman

Kareem......70 wins, 16-8 in playoffs, can't share the ball

Stockton

West

Dr J

McHale

Wilt or Shaq (can't decide)- - 70 wins and 16 blowouts in the playoffs, with a couple of losses only

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Am I reading right that you're saying Kareem can't share the ball?  As I recall Kareem may have been the second-best low post passer ever (and probably not coincidentally the second best ever from ucla as wel), and I thought he got a lot of assists for a center.  That's what I remember anyway, but I was pretty young back then. I could be wrong.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to cole-ely's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Am I reading right that you're saying Kareem can't share the ball?  As I recall Kareem may have been the second-best low post passer ever (and probably not coincidentally the second best ever from ucla as wel), and I thought he got a lot of assists for a center.  That's what I remember anyway, but I was pretty young back then. I could be wrong.

[/QUOTE]

See how you got that, but not what I'm saying.  I'm saying that between kobe, LeBron and the Mailman, there would be a lot of shots, and probably in-fighting, if history serves.  Kareem is the All Time leading scorer, and did demand the ball, but it was more a knock on the other three.  Big O would do whatever was necessary.  Maybe I should have said the team would break up after a year because kobe didn't get enough shots, but it was not a  knock on Kareem.

[object HTMLDivElement]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

ok, i get it.  usually you're pretty spot on, so I wondered if I misunderstood.  Kareem was the (second to mchale, I think) best low post scorer I ever saw. so he obviously got the ball a lot on the block.  I remember he could palm the ball and pass one handed effortlessly to any spot on the halfcourt. 

He got a lot of shots but also a lot of assists due to the sheer number of touches and doubles he saw. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I'll take McHale over Malone on your second team, btw.  if mchale was on the offensively-challenged jazz he would have scored a lot more than he did. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to cole-ely's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll take McHale over Malone on your second team, btw.  if mchale was on the offensively-challenged jazz he would have scored a lot more than he did. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I go back and forth on that one, I try not to be a homer too much.  Also, let's not forget Sam 10 rings Jones........and where oh where do I put Hakeem??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Elgin Baylor just might fit in there somewhere

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Hakeem is a center.  Not better than Wilt or Shaq, I think.

I can't speak to anyone who played before I started watching in 79.  I can somewhat judge Wilt by having seen a lot of video. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Agree - very tough omission, but I have to have Larry and LeBron.......maybe Elgin over Dr. J?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhs1950. Show dhs1950's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lifetime fg% of 43.1% is ok for 1950's-60's ball but doesn't cut it for the the last 35 years. Dr J posted a 50.7 fg% during his nba career.

dhs1950

[object HTMLDivElement]

Agree - very tough omission, but I have to have Larry and LeBron.......maybe Elgin over Dr. J?

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I don't see how you can put Elgin Baylor over Dr j.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

"Here's my list (with no apologies to Bill Russell or Rondo lovers:"

Eldunker a bit Eldrunker? Rajon wouldn't even make any ones top 50 list. Or is that just an annoyed pop-shot at his supporters? Rise above it bro. Be better then that.

Duncan is one of the greats, no doubt about it. I'd still take McHale over him. Duncans #'s are only marginally better then Kevins over their career, with the exception in total rebound percentage (KM = 7 boards, TD = 11). But Duncan was not the defender that McHale was. Not even close. Career stats don't show that. I could see it as a draw, but I would still take Kevin. I love defenders. Though averaging 4 more boards is pretty big-time too, I must admit.

Kobe and Dr. J? Wow....  The Fish that saved Pittsburgh was mostly all flash/hype. The rapist... a very good crunch-time player, but also a major detriment to team chemistry.

Well, to each their own. Salute!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anguskahn. Show anguskahn's posts

Post 1980:

MJ

Bird/magic

Lebron

Kobe

Hakeem (others are greatly under rating him, he could be higher)

Shaq

Malone

KG

Kidd

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Bill Russell is the 2nd best player of all time behind Jordan.

I would take KG, McHale and Duncan over Malone.

I would take Hakeem over Shaq in a heartbeat. Look at the destruction in the '95 finals. Hakeem was also like a 75% FT shooter in his prime.

If I wanted a team of 5 guys to throw at any other 5 in history it would be Kareem, Russell, Bird, Jordan and Magic.

Russ was only 6'9" and such an amazing athlete he could guard either forward. Kareem at 7'2" had the most unstoppable shot in league history. MJ could lockdown the next best PG after Magic being thrown at that team like Oscar, Stockton or Kidd letting Magic defend SG's.

Bird would just drop triple doubles and with no double team hit 3's all game long like they were FT's.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

There is no way another group of 5 guys would beat that above team in a 7 game series.

I'd go Oscar, West, LeBron, Duncan or Hakeem (who was like 6'10" and played PF alongside Sampson early in his career) and Wilt if I had to choose a second team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bill Russell is the 2nd best player of all time behind Jordan.

I would take KG, McHale and Duncan over Malone.

I would take Hakeem over Shaq in a heartbeat. Look at the destruction in the '95 finals. Hakeem was also like a 75% FT shooter in his prime.

If I wanted a team of 5 guys to throw at any other 5 in history it would be Kareem, Russell, Bird, Jordan and Magic.

Russ was only 6'9" and such an amazing athlete he could guard either forward. Kareem at 7'2" had the most unstoppable shot in league history. MJ could lockdown the next best PG after Magic being thrown at that team like Oscar, Stockton or Kidd letting Magic defend SG's.

Bird would just drop triple doubles and with no double team hit 3's all game long like they were FT's.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Almost my team exactly.  I did think about Russ at PF...........but he played C, so I chose him over Kareem.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

1 Bill Russell

2 Michael Jordan

3 Magic Johnson

4 Kareem Abdul Jabbar

5 Larry Bird

6 Tim Duncan

7 Wilt Chamberlain

8 Shaquille Rashaun O'Neal

9 Lauren Jackson (didn't say anything about them having to be male players)

10 John Havlicek

Just missing out on making the list. George Mikan. Yes it was a different game when he played, there was no shot clock. But he dominated the game that he played. Mikan always seems to be a forgotten player when it comes to these sort of lists.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

It is difficult for me to judge before the 80s, cause I never saw them live.

Anyway:On most of these lists Hakeem is to low. He was great on both ends, and won his first title with a bunch of role players. In his prime he was much better than Shaq, Duncan etc.

Kobe on the other hand is way to high on these lists. His career numbers (shoothing %), finals stats and advanced metrics are just to low for the top ten. If not for the first sentence in my posts, he would not even be the starter in my all time lakers Team. I have seen comparisons between Kobe and Dirk and by advanced metrics Dirk is a way better Player than Kobe and no one would give Dirk a call in one of These top Teams. On top: He is a terrible crunch time Player even though People think otherwise but the numbers don't lie.

The most difficult Player to judge is Bill Russell: Terrible offensive numbers (PPG and FG %), one of his greatest skills not in the stats Sheets (blocks) and undersized for his Position. But he won with any Team he was in any stage of his career.