Top 25 Celtics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Top 25 Celtics

Jo Jo White over Sam Jones just on that alone this list is horrible.  For that matter Cousy not better than Jo Jo is even more absurd. This person knows nothing about basketball from a historical perspective.  How about Jo Jo over Dave Cowens?  They were on the same team and Cowens was light years more valuable.  Moronic list!!! Made by someone who knows nothing about basketball or the Celtics.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In Response to Re: Top 25 Celtics:
    Jo Jo White over Sam Jones just on that alone this list is horrible.  For that matter Cousy not better than Jo Jo is even more absurd. This person knows nothing about basketball from a historical perspective.  How about Jo Jo over Dave Cowens?  They were on the same team and Cowens was light years more valuable.  Moronic list!!! Made by someone who knows nothing about basketball or the Celtics.
    Posted by concord27

100% agree!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Top 25 Celtics :  Who's doing the nagging here?
    Posted by kyceltic

I thought you had an updated list. What gives?

Re: Paul Pierce - All Time Celtic? Wheres he rank?

posted at 2/15/2010 6:26 PM EST
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=3567a792c5f5109ca211f62f3c1b2406&plckUserId=3567a792c5f5109ca211f62f3c1b2406">
    First: 2/12/2006
    Last: 1/19/2011

!. Russell
     2.Bird
     3.Havileck
     4.Cousy
     5.Cowens
     6. S. Jones
     7.McHale
     8. Heinsonhn
     9.Dennis Johnson
     10.Jo.Jo. White
     11.KG
     !2.Ray
     13. Antoine Walker, What true Celtic fan didn't love the Walker Wiggle?
     14.Paul Pierce

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

Posted by concord27

Yes but Jo Jo shot the jump shot and according to some posters on here that is so important that you are a failure if you don't do it. Just kidding.

You are absolutely right about Cowens...unbelievable player and without him the C's don't win whereas without Jo Jo they could have had some other jump shot shooting guard. Cowens play agains Jabbar was phenomenal.

The Cous revolutionized the game. What we now take for granted in point guards... the Cous invented. Behind the back pass and dribble, between the legs dribble, snap passes off the dribble. Cous definitely belongs on the list higher than any other point guard. But then again he didn't shoot the jump shot and that is important.;-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: Top 25 Celtics :  None of those guys were here for 17, hence KG, Hondo was a very important part of thr Russell, and Cowens title years, but not the most important, imo!!
    Posted by kyceltic

Thats why Havlicek is ranked just below those others.

The key players for the title years are Russell, Bird, Cowens & KG/PP.

Russell there is no discussion about..clearly #1 by landslide.

I place Havlicek above KG/PP cause they have one title.... Havlicek has like 10.. but Hondo transcended era's... He was important during the Russell years and was right up there with Cowens during that teams run.

So, aside from the clear star of the championship teams, Havlicek is the best left standing.  We cant even count the KG/PP years.. only 1 title...pffftt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In Response to Re: Top 25 Celtics : I thought you had an updated list. What gives? Re: Paul Pierce - All Time Celtic? Wheres he rank? posted at 2/15/2010 6:26 PM EST www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=3567a792c5f5109ca211f62f3c1b2406&plckUserId=3567a792c5f5109ca211f62f3c1b2406 " /> kyceltic Posts: 1224 First: 2/12/2006 Last: 1/19/2011  !. Russell  2.Bird  3.Havileck  4.Cousy  5.Cowens  6. S. Jones  7.McHale  8. Heinsonhn  9.Dennis Johnson  10.Jo.Jo. White  11.KG  !2.Ray  13. Antoine Walker, What true Celtic fan didn't love the Walker Wiggle?  14.Paul Pierce
    Posted by P34

My rankings, would probably be controversial to you!!

Stop begging, it makes you look bad!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: Top 25 Celtics : Thats why Havlicek is ranked just below those others. The key players for the title years are Russell, Bird, Cowens & KG/PP. Russell there is no discussion about..clearly #1 by landslide. I place Havlicek above KG/PP cause they have one title.... Havlicek has like 10.. but Hondo transcended era's... He was important during the Russell years and was right up there with Cowens during that teams run. So, aside from the clear star of the championship teams, Havlicek is the best left standing.  We cant even count the KG/PP years.. only 1 title...pffftt
    Posted by Karllost

No Ray?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In Response to Re: Top 25 Celtics : Thats why Havlicek is ranked just below those others. The key players for the title years are Russell, Bird, Cowens & KG/PP. Russell there is no discussion about..clearly #1 by landslide. I place Havlicek above KG/PP cause they have one title.... Havlicek has like 10.. but Hondo transcended era's... He was important during the Russell years and was right up there with Cowens during that teams run. So, aside from the clear star of the championship teams, Havlicek is the best left standing.  We cant even count the KG/PP years.. only 1 title...pffftt
    Posted by Karllost

Imo, Sam Jones was more important to the Russell years than Hondo. Hondo once said, we never had to think about who was going to take the last shot, we all knew it was going to be Sam!!  Russell called Sam, the greatest clutch player of all time!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: Top 25 Celtics :  Imo, Sam Jones was more important to the Russell years than Hondo. Hondo once said, we never had to think about who was going to take the last shot, we all knew it was going to be Sam!!  Russell called Sam, the greatest clutch player of all time!!
    Posted by kyceltic

I only watched a little of Hondo.  Not old enough to see the others.  Funny with the championships we think all the players were great. I am sure quite of few of the guys were role players though.   Maybe i am wrong  KY said I was one time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Posted by concord27

This is why that post:  "Controversial but Fun" is correct (or was it "Fun but controversial"?)!  I place Jo Jo above Cowens.  He controlled the game with assists, tempo, defense, and of course, BIG shots.  Cowens was a monster for an undersized center and rebounds + shots +heart/hustle, but just one opinion - Jo Jo was more important.  Both are great, though.

On the top 5, I have Russell, Bird, Havlicek, and Pierce as number 4 because while he didn't win as many titles, he was here for his entire career, carried us to playoffs even if they didn't get a championship, and has the great career stats.  He stayed through lean years (played with less) and being hated for a while.  KG is more important RIGHT NOW, but he wasn't here long enough to be above Pierce.

Finally:  Gotta put Walker on the list!!  All heart and don't penalize him so much because he had no help for so long.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: Top 25 Celtics :  Imo, Sam Jones was more important to the Russell years than Hondo. Hondo once said, we never had to think about who was going to take the last shot, we all knew it was going to be Sam!!  Russell called Sam, the greatest clutch player of all time!!
    Posted by kyceltic

I agree that during the Russell years, Sam was more valuable than Havlicek.... even tho "HAVLICEK STOLE THE BALL!!!"

But whats distinctive about Hondo is he was MVPish without Russell, when the Cowens/JoJo teams won their titles. Part of 2 dynasties.. Havlicek was huge and clutch, not just a contributor usually mentioned in the top handful of players in the NBA at the time.

I dont remember much about Cousy so I cant say about him, other than reputation... I got a real kick watching Cousy play in the all-star game.. when they had the oldtimers (that was Cousys team)  vs the younger players. He had me grinning with those wild passes he made.. a real thrill to watch and he was prob in his 50s

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Most important Celtics are the ones that make the biggest difference to championship teams.

1. Russell
    2. Bird
    3. Havlicek
    4. Cowens
    5. Garnett

Others that have contributed greatly include a list of other great players:
    Jones, Cousy, Heinshon, Mchale, DJ, Pierce, and Allen, in no particular order.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In Response to Re: Top 25 Celtics : I agree that during the Russell years, Sam was more valuable than Havlicek.... even tho "HAVLICEK STOLE THE BALL!!!" But whats distinctive about Hondo is he was MVPish without Russell, when the Cowens/JoJo teams won their titles. Part of 2 dynasties.. Havlicek was huge and clutch, not just a contributor usually mentioned in the top handful of players in the NBA at the time. I dont remember much about Cousy so I cant say about him, other than reputation... I got a real kick watching Cousy play in the all-star game.. when they had the oldtimers (that was Cousys team)  vs the younger players. He had me grinning with those wild passes he made.. a real thrill to watch and he was prob in his 50s
    Posted by Karllost

I would say anyone who had to guard Havlicek, would say he was much more then a contributor. Those teams from the Cowens era were probably my favorite to see play, because thay never stopped coming at you! Cowens will to win would match anyones i've ever seen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Pierce never had the teammates that Russell, Bird, and Hondo had.  So, do we blame that on him?  He proved that if you give him the teammates, he can deliver a championship (Series MVP).   He hung in there until they gave him a good team.  Remember he had to play with the babies for a while and with a bunch of "also rans".  So to me, he had a different challenge than other great Celtics but made me love the Celts when there was little to cheer for.  Garnett can't get on the all time list by playing one year of championship ball so far.  I love KG but he has to deliver more to make top 5.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Pierce never had the teammates that Russell, Bird, and Hondo had.  So, do we blame that on him?  He proved that if you give him the teammates, he can deliver a championship (Series MVP).   He hung in there until they gave him a good team.  Remember he had to play with the babies for a while and with a bunch of "also rans".  So to me, he had a different challenge than other great Celtics but made me love the Celts when there was little to cheer for.  Garnett can't get on the all time list by playing one year of championship ball so far.  I love KG but he has to deliver more to make top 5.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Bird, turned a 20 win team into a 60 win team, his rookie year!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Top 25 Celtics :  Bird, turned a 20 win team into a 60 win team, his rookie year!!
    Posted by kyceltic

And what's your point?  We're not comparing Bird to Pierce.  We're comparing Pierce to KG for spot number 5.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In Response to Re: Top 25 Celtics : And what's your point?  We're not comparing Bird to Pierce.  We're comparing Pierce to KG for spot number 5.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

I hope we're not!!

There's stars and than there's superstars, KG is a superstar. You can no more compare Pierce to KG, than you could compare him to Bird.

That would be like comparing Mitch Richmond, to Michael Jordan!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Wow - I forgot about your ongoing battle with P34.  You really are biased against Pierce.  That comparison is SOOOOOOO far off its not even funny.  Mitch Richmond to Jordan?  Really?   Wow, your hate for Pierce goes deep, huh?  you can't give the man his due, huh?

Oh well, to each his own, my friend.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

KG?

How about providing the Defensive leadership to completely change the focus, and identity of the 2008 champion Celtics. How about creating an environment where selfless offense is normal, and other stars can thrive. How about putting winning above personal accolades. What could be more Celtic than that? What was could be more important than that?

The other stars were great, but as the announcer said at the end of the finals, the MVP of the finals could have gone to any of the big three, it looked that close.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

This is taken from a Washington post article in 2008 that talks about KG for league MVP that year.

Here is a quote from Paul Pierce:

"The whole face of the Celtics turned around when the trade happened with this guy," Celtics teammate Paul Pierce said.
    "Everyone talks about the MVP and they talk about numbers, but this guy has changed the whole culture around here, and I think that says a lot for everything."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2008/03/kg_for_mvp_too_close_to_call.html

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

This is taken from a Washington post article in 2008 that talks about KG for league MVP that year. Here is a quote from Paul Pierce: "The whole face of the Celtics turned around when the trade happened with this guy," Celtics teammate Paul Pierce said. "Everyone talks about the MVP and they talk about numbers, but this guy has changed the whole culture around here, and I think that says a lot for everything." http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2008/03/kg_for_mvp_too_close_to_call.html
    Posted by TeamUmbutu

You won't find a bigger KG fan than me.  The only disagreement is that I think ALL of the Big 3 have been critical.  KG is the most important to the defense and intensity.  PP is most important to the clutch baskets.  Ray Ray is never going to get enough credit for hitting the big shots and spreading the offense like no other.   So, I'm with you, man.

The question, however, is who is your top 25 Celtic and for being a Celtic one year, I cannot give KG the nod over a lifetime Celtic in Paul Pierce, especially given Pierce's endurance of the bad years and his performance in the good years, especially the playoffs that year when HE played Lebron and played him to a standstill.  Remember the great Lebron vs Pierce battle where Paul carried us???   Now, KG was the man, but Paul was the man over a longer period so that's why I gave him the nod at number 5.  In no way is that a knock on my man, KG.  Love me some KG and what he's done for us.  But, PP is the Celtic who's bled green AND delivered and has some of the best stats of ANY Celtic.  

Am I bearing more clear?  you don't have to agree, I just want to make sure I'm clear about why I see PP as number 5.   In the end, I love them ALL!!!!  Celtics forever!!!  Number 18 on the way!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Top 25 Celtics :  I hope we're not!!  There's stars and than there's superstars, KG is a superstar. You can no more compare Pierce to KG, than you could compare him to Bird.  That would be like comparing Mitch Richmond, to Michael Jordan!!
    Posted by kyceltic

HAHAHA!!!

ONCE A HATER ALWAYS A HATER!

TRUE COLORS COMING OUT, HUH, KYCELTIC?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Is Scal the biggest AInge mistake?

posted at 10/27/2006 9:07 AM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=3567a792c5f5109ca211f62f3c1b2406&plckUserId=3567a792c5f5109ca211f62f3c1b2406">
    No Doc is.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

"Comparing Pierce to Kobe, is like comparing Scal to Bird."

Re: Pierce still an All-Star

posted at 1/29/2010 1:09 AM EST

Comparing Pierce to Kobe, is like comparing Scal to Bird.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

Posted by kyceltic
    Seems like you have a preference for shooters. Nothing wrong with that. Sam and Ray were/are terrific shooters. PP and Hondo are scorers.
    Hondo is second on the all-time Celts scoring list for a reason.(not just longetivity) He was the go-to guy in the Cowens years, just as PP has been throughout his career. All terrific players. 

Sections
Shortcuts