Trade for Big Al

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertmont. Show vertmont's posts

Re: Trade for Big Al

I would take big Al over DH any day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

6-8 1/2....?  really? Please show me where this came from...I'm not saying that you are wrong...but Minny had him at center and he did pretty well scoring (back to the basket) rebounding, and blocking shots...Basketball Reference.com has him listed at 6-10...he has averaged over 11 rebounds 3 times and over the last 5 years he has averaged 10.4...in that same time frame his scoring average is 19.1.....how does that compare to what we had with Perk...?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Trade for Big Al:
    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6dnv8pn then sign Hill, Prince, Battier or Dunleavy to replace Green's minutes. C's need a post scorer badly, not a lot of 26yrs 20-10 guys in free agency for the mid-level, Utah doesnt need him, but they could use Green, and I think Jefferson could be adequate on D next to KG
    Posted by todoubled17
    GREAT PROPOSAL, I WOULD DO IT IN A HEARTBEAT!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Well, if we get 19/10/1.3 blocks I don't care how tall he is.......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In Response to Re: Trade for Big Al:
    unfortunatly, young 20 something athletes have no connection to the history of the game....they want (in this order I believe).......Big money.....great nightlife....and great weather.....the "Celtic mystique" doesn't pertain to these players in my opinion.....that's why Miami & Orlando (no state taxes) and LA (Hollywood) attracts them....
    Posted by Duke4

Easy on the young guys Duke.  What choices did the Old Timers have?

Seems

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

well Seems, I'm not blaming them....my point is that playing for Boston was once a dream for a lot of players....certainly this was before million dollar contracts and expansion (Miami & Orlando with all their perks just to name two cities).....I'm just saying that a lot of todays players couldn't tell you how many titles the Celtics or the Lakers won....

hey, huge contract, night life, and great weather....?   what's not to like.....that's why I don't see DH or many other big names heading to Boston anytime soon....even if the money was the same....we may have a lot of room in 2012...can we draw the big names...? ....we'll see....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

well Seems, I'm not blaming them....my point is that playing for Boston was once a dream for a lot of players....certainly this was before million dollar contracts and expansion (Miami & Orlando with all their perks just to name two cities).....I'm just saying that a lot of todays players couldn't tell you how many titles the Celtics or the Lakers won.... hey, huge contract, night life, and great weather....?   what's not to like.....that's why I don't see DH or many other big names heading to Boston anytime soon....even if the money was the same....we may have a lot of room in 2012...can we draw the big names...? ....we'll see....
    Posted by Duke4

Gotcha loud and clear Duke. My Mom and Dad used to tell me that I was a sports fanatic from about the age of seven. My historical memory of sports seems to have started back in the 20's as a result of reading just about everything about sports that I could get my hands on. As a result I have a real good recollection of the stars in all the major sports from that generation on to the present. Basketball was a johnny-come- late sport that didn't catch my eye until the mid-forties. Certainly not a headliner like Baseball and Football were. I guess that it is guys like you and me, that cling to the historical past of sports with a passion, that seem to get a special kick out of remembering the thrills of the distant past. But you know what!  The games of the present still turn me on.   Looks like I'm a "Cradle" to "Grave" sports fanatic.

Seems

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Seems, you and I are two (old) peas in a pod my friend....I've watched, listened, and studied every bit of sports that I could ....loved the "good old days" and I'm still a huge fan....I have come to realize that we have to accept change for better or worse...doesn't mean I always have to like it...as a Yankee fan I'm sure you share my love for the days when you could keep your team together...where the hot stove league of the winter meetings was a huge event...everyone talking of possible trades to improve the team....rather than wondering what other team your favorite player will choose in free agency today...it wasn't that long ago that the great Dodger infield of Garvey, Lopes, Russell, and Cey played together for 8 1/2 years......Curt Flood opened the flood-gates (no pun intended) when he went to court....then I believe it was Messersmith who became the first free agent...I kind of lucked out as he became a Dodger for a time...anyway....good stuff right?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

Seems, you and I are two (old) peas in a pod my friend....I've watched, listened, and studied every bit of sports that I could ....loved the "good old days" and I'm still a huge fan....I have come to realize that we have to accept change for better or worse...doesn't mean I always have to like it...as a Yankee fan I'm sure you share my love for the days when you could keep your team together...where the hot stove league of the winter meetings was a huge event...everyone talking of possible trades to improve the team....rather than wondering what other team your favorite player will choose in free agency today...it wasn't that long ago that the great Dodger infield of Garvey, Lopes, Russell, and Cey played together for 8 1/2 years......Curt Flood opened the flood-gates (no pun intended) when he went to court....then I believe it was Messersmith who became the first free agent...I kind of lucked out as he became a Dodger for a time...anyway....good stuff right?
    Posted by Duke4

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Agreed....but who would you rather have in the pivot given the choice....? Perkins 6-10 280 27 yrs old 6.4  PPG 6.1  RPG 1.4  BPG Big Al 6-10 265 26 yrs old 15.9 PPG 8.8  RPG 1.3  BPG I'd take Big Al...
    Posted by Duke4

You forget that Big Al gives up 9+ extra points per game (bad defense and bad fouls trying to recover from bad defense) - when Jefferson was traded, Perkins noted that his foul trouble was often because Jefferson blew his assignments so often, so you're giving up easy buckets and the bonus for 9 points and 2 rebounds per game

Rondo-Allen-Pierce-Garnett can score enough so the starting center can be primarily a defensive player.  They need more bench scoring

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Trade for Big Al : Didn't work out too well agains the Heat, Nick. In 5 games against the Heat in the semis, the Celts failed to score a 100 points in all 5 games.  Mario Chalmers would stay close to the FT line daring Rondo to shoot. In effect the driving lanes are clogged and the low post is crowded.
    Posted by Fiercest34

Sounds more like a case for swapping out Rondo

But read the LAST sentence - I think a better bench would have given us a more definitive advantage over the Heat than a fifth starter who would probably get a 2% usage rate at best

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Celtic fans talking about Dwight coming to Boston.... He doesn't like your town, your weather, or you bandwagon jumping fans. "

I know it's useless arguing with a troll who thinks only in stereotypes and only knows how to bash other fans, but let me spell it out for you anyway: 

- I did not say Dwight was coming to Boston, what I said is that Ainge intends to make a run at him. Big difference. And Ainge most certainly will take a run at him. Count on it. 

- Say anything you want about Celts fans, but they are not bandwagon jumpers. The bandwagon fans in our town are Sox fans and Pats fans, in that order. I know you have no clue but still, keep this in mind. 

- If Dwight hated bandwagon fans, he would never have spent so much time in Orlando which is a total bandwagon sports town.

I'll go ahead and put you on ignore since you're clearly not here to have an intelligent conversation. 

I'll never understand why fans post so many ("Bring back so and so" threads here, bring back James Posey, bring back Antoine, bring back _____ - time marches on. The Celts will never re-sign someone as weak defensively as Jefferson. But hey, he would be an upgrade to what we have now in the middle so I guess I have to go along with it. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from todoubled17. Show todoubled17's posts

In Response to Re: Trade for Big Al : Sounds more like a case for swapping out Rondo But read the LAST sentence - I think a better bench would have given us a more definitive advantage over the Heat than a fifth starter who would probably get a 2% usage rate at best
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

I think Al would have a big part of the starting line up’s offense – similar to when Shaq was healthy: 1) someone skilled downlow to finish when rondo penetrates, 2) an inside presents to free up shooters Allen, Pierce, KG.

Rondo and KG are pass-first players, Ray can get hot but often disappears, that leaves Pierce to carry much of the offense but he’s not the dominate player he once was. A post scorer like Big Al would relieve a lot of the pressure on offense, and along the vet’s to focus on defense, doing the little things, and scoring in timely spurts.

Jeff Green's scoring off the bench was nothing special. Dunleavy, Prince and Hill all scored more per 48 than Green and I'm sure we could get one of them with the Mid-Level. Don't see us getting a decent center for the Mid-Level, they want more $.

After Howard and CP3 (neither of which I see coming here) the FA class next year is weak, might as well use the cap space now and try and win it this year... if there is a season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Btw I just saw Dwight Howard at Logan Airport. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Btw I just saw Dwight Howard at Logan Airport. :)
    Posted by xxcodyfxx

He can go anywhere he wants.  Right now he is unemployed.  And when the lockout ends, he will have to be traded!

Sections
Shortcuts