Trade for Tony Allen or James Posey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Trade for Tony Allen or James Posey

I told everyone on this board we were going to need a backup SF at some point during the year. I'm just glad it came now. Wafer cannot play SF so that idea is out the window. KG can play SF at times but that's too many minutes.

Off the street I would like Stackhouse. Some don't like it but he's only a backup and I think Stack can play 15 mins without hurting the team. We don't need him to play major minutes. He's cheap and has playoff experience.

If you want to trade. Nate and Bradley work for Tony Allen. Allen is making $3M and knows the defense.

THe other guy is Posey. If you get Posey or Allen back you don't have to spend a month incorporating them back into the offense/defense.

Ainge has to make a move and trading Nate or JON's contract, Wafer, Bradley, Luke and #1 are really all you have to offer. It's time to explore a trade.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Re: Trade for Tony Allen or James Posey

I agree that DA will be exploring possible trades for a backup SF as the trade deadline approaches.  Posey should be high on DA's list.  I disagree, for the time being, that Von Wafer cannot play SF.  I think he is going to be given that opportunity now.  We'll have a better idea about his abillities there in 2 weeks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

In Response to Trade for Tony Allen or James Posey:
    I told everyone on this board we were going to need a backup SF at some point during the year. I'm just glad it came now. Wafer cannot play SF so that idea is out the window. KG can play SF at times but that's too many minutes. Off the street I would like Stackhouse. Some don't like it but he's only a backup and I think Stack can play 15 mins without hurting the team. We don't need him to play major minutes. He's cheap and has playoff experience. If you want to trade. Nate and Bradley work for Tony Allen. Allen is making $3M and knows the defense. THe other guy is Posey. If you get Posey or Allen back you don't have to spend a month incorporating them back into the offense/defense. Ainge has to make a move and trading Nate or JON's contract, Wafer, Bradley, Luke and #1 are really all you have to offer. It's time to explore a trade.
    Posted by BiasLewis

Bias, I will agree with you on trades involving either Tony Allen or James Posey just because those guys already know the Celtics system, but any other trade at this time will not be accepted.

I would prefer James Posey, but how do you acquire him? Tony Allen would be cheaper to obtain but he snubbed the Celtics and I don't think DA would bring him back.

Time Will Only Tell

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

Let's see how Wafer does.  He sure has a golden opportunity.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Fine but what's the rotation now? Remember West is still out and now Quis is out.

Nate
    ???
    Wafer
    BBD
    Erden/Shaq

Who's playing the SG?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Trade for Tony Allen or James Posey:
    Fine but what's the rotation now? Remember West is still out and now Quis is out. Nate ??? Wafer BBD Erden/Shaq Who's playing the SG?
    Posted by BiasLewis

Avery Bradley is your PG/SG tonight against the Bobcats.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Here's what I'd do:

1. Acquire Richard Hamilton for Jermaine O'Neal, Nate Robinson, and Marquis Daniels. Tell the Pistons to waive Daniels as a condition of the trade.

2. Sign Rasheed Wallace to take Jermaine O'Neal's spot on the 15-man roster.

3. Sign a stopgap PG (Rafer Alston? Chucky Atkins? Jamaal Tinsley?) to 10-day contracts while Delonte West recovers.

4. Re-sign Marquis Daniels after the required one month layoff period, which should coincide with his return from the bruised spinal cord injury.

Adding some live bodies in Richard Hamilton, Rasheed Wallace and a stopgap PG should help boost the current lack of depth. I don't want to see the Celtics slide in the standings because they think they can get by with third stringers. The Bulls and Heat are too good for that, the Celtics need to keep the pedal to the metal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Whats with the love affair with washed up James Posey and No offense Tony Allen who cant shut down Kobe or LBJ.  His defense is okay.  He never had to guard those guys from the start.  I hope folks can really analyze the stats when TA had to guard Kobe or LBJ.  Shut them down he did not.  Slow them some, maybe.

The bench:

Nate-SG
    Bradley-PG/SG
    Shaq/Erdan-C
    BBD-PF
    Wafer-SG/SF

No need to make moves.....especially trades.  I can see a 10 day contract as a stop gap, but NO TRADES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticjay. Show celticjay's posts

Well if dumb TA didn't feel "overshadowed" he'd be on the roster. Those 15 minutes he's getting in Memphis was obviously worth it. 
    Posted by tompenny

Posey would love to be back and the Celts would love to have his leadership, enthusiasm and propensity for man hugs.   He knows the system, is languishing on the Indie bench now that Obrien is gone.   He also has the sack to play in the biggest of moments and can stretch the defense with his 3 point shooting.  He is an upgrade of Quis, who has flashes but can't sustain anything and can lose his confidence very quickly.  Last year after he came back from the thumb injury he was never the same.  Going from recent history it's hard not to believe it won't be the same this year.  Especially from this injury which would have any player reconsidering their profession.  He's made tons of money with the Indie contract and doesn't need to risk his future.   

What would it take to get Posey?  

He has one year left on his deal only tradeable commodity woud be Nate, Luke and Wafer or some combination with a pick.  Maybe switch Quis with one of them.   Indie is desperate to get rid of Ford and I can seem them dumping him before the trade deadline if they can find someone to take him off their hands.  This could open a spot for nate at a combo guard.

I don't know .  I really worry about Pierce in the playoffs.  Deng wears him out.   then James and Artest...    He can do it but it'd be wise to have some help..  The roster as currently constructed doesn't provide much if any.  Can you imagine Wafer guarding Lebron.  Wafer would pee in his pants.  Lebron would lick his chops.    Miami is the team we need to concentrate on now.  They are healthy, learning to play together and on a roll.   Not saying Posey can stop Lebron, but he could take some charges get up on him and with help be somewhat effective in spurts. 

Real dream though is Battier...  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondo9Fan. Show RajonRondo9Fan's posts

I would hate to get rid of Nate i mean he has inconsit times but he went with us last year and made some big plays that got us pass the majic then some in game 4

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

The only way to add someone to the current roster would be to trade someone else. That's why I think my proposed 3-for-1 deal with Detroit works out well. Two of the three players we'd be shipping out won't be available to play for awhile anyway, and the third one, Nate Robinson, would be reduced to third-string once Delonte West returns. So how much would the Celtics really be losing by trading an injured Jermaine O'Neal, an injured Marquis Daniels (who could come back in a month or two after being waived), and a shoot-first turnover machine in Nate Robinson (who ranks third in the depth chart when everyone is healthy)?

Think about this way. Is Richard Hamilton more valuable than Nate Robinson and an injured Marquis Daniels? In my mind, there's no question that's an upgrade. Not only is Hamilton currently healthy, he's shooting for a very high percentage and would give the Celtics a tremendous 3-man rotation at SF/SG with Paul Pierce and Ray Allen. Hamilton doesn't make blunders, like Robinson. He's the perfect piece to the championship puzzle. And the Pistons would gladly trade him for Jermaine O'Neal, Marquis Daniels, and Nate Robinson because they desperately want out from his contract. They'd save significant dollars by moving their disgruntled former All-Star, plus Robinson would flourish in Detroit where he could receive Hamilton's minutes and be the volume scorer that he was in New York.

The next question to ask yourself is whether a healthy (albeit out of shape) Rasheed Wallace would be more valuable to the Celtics right now than an injured Jermaine O'Neal who won't be back until April, at best (the other piece that would go to Detroit). With the Celtics down to just Perkins and Erden at center right now, Wallace would be a very valuable addition. He's still a wide body who can rebound in big games and hit the occasional 15-foot jumper. He knows the Celtic system and still hangs out wih the team awaiting an opportunity.

If the Celtics made my proposed deal, this would be my active playoff roster:

1. C Kendrick Perkins
    2. PF Kevin Garnett
    3. SF Paul Pierce
    4. PG Rajon Rondo
    5. SG Ray Allen

6. C Shaquille O'Neal
    7. PF Glen Davis
    8. SF Marquis Daniels
    9. PG Delonte West
    10. SG Richard Hamilton

11. C/PF Rasheed Wallace
    12. C Semih Erden

Inactive:

13. C/PF Luke Harangody
    14. SG Von Wafer
    15. PG/SG Avery Bradley

Tell me how that team would lose to anyone. It would be deep at every position. And best of all, this is a realistic construction. There's no reason why Detroit wouldn't make this deal with the Celtics today. There's no reason why Rasheed Wallace wouldn't immediately sign here. There's no reason why Marquis Daniels wouldn't come back after Detroit waives him (he can't play for the next 1-2 months anyway, so waiting out the required 30 days to re-sign with a team that traded you doesn't hurt him).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

In Response to Re: Trade for Tony Allen or James Posey : Posey would love to be back and the Celts would love to have his leadership, enthusiasm and propensity for man hugs.   He knows the system, is languishing on the Indie bench now that Obrien is gone.   He also has the sack to play in the biggest of moments and can stretch the defense with his 3 point shooting.  He is an upgrade of Quis, who has flashes but can't sustain anything and can lose his confidence very quickly.  Last year after he came back from the thumb injury he was never the same.  Going from recent history it's hard not to believe it won't be the same this year.  Especially from this injury which would have any player reconsidering their profession.  He's made tons of money with the Indie contract and doesn't need to risk his future.    What would it take to get Posey?   He has one year left on his deal only tradeable commodity woud be Nate, Luke and Wafer or some combination with a pick.  Maybe switch Quis with one of them.   Indie is desperate to get rid of Ford and I can seem them dumping him before the trade deadline if they can find someone to take him off their hands.  This could open a spot for nate at a combo guard. I don't know .  I really worry about Pierce in the playoffs.  Deng wears him out.   then James and Artest...    He can do it but it'd be wise to have some help..  The roster as currently constructed doesn't provide much if any.  Can you imagine Wafer guarding Lebron.  Wafer would pee in his pants.  Lebron would lick his chops.    Miami is the team we need to concentrate on now.  They are healthy, learning to play together and on a roll.   Not saying Posey can stop Lebron, but he could take some charges get up on him and with help be somewhat effective in spurts.  Real dream though is Battier...  
    Posted by celticjay

Finally someone gets it. Perfect!

Deng, LeBron, Artest. That's why I want Posey, Allen or Battier.

Wafer and even Quis are going to struggle covering any of those guys. Some don't want a trade but that's CelticJay spelled it out for you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

i am not sure why detroit would want o'neal at this point when he has another year on his contract next year and may never be able to play again.

i do understand how you may have included him for salary reasons to make room for hamilton.  and, i will agree (although not a big wallace fan) why you would think that wallace is more of a help than o'neal has been/will be this season.

and, i like hamilton much better than posey or allen at this point as the celtics make a run at banner #18.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

The Pistons don't want those 3 for Rip. Orlando could use Rip better and has better pieces to give up than the C's for Rip.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticjay. Show celticjay's posts

The Pistons don't want those 3 for Rip. Orlando could use Rip better and has better pieces to give up than the C's for Rip.
    Posted by BiasLewis

Hopefuly JO retires.  Can't see any team taking him at this point...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Most reports say that other teams will only obtain Hamilton if the Pistons take a long-term player in return or work out a buyout agreement with him. He's under contract for two more years after this one at significant dollars, so it's unlikely he'd negotiate a release.

Under my proposal, the Celtics would absorb Hamilton's entire contract. Jermaine O'Neal only has one more year under his deal, whereas Hamilton has two more. Furthermore, O'Neal's annual salary is less than half of Hamilton's and Detroit won't have to pay a penny of it if O'Neal continues to miss time due to injury. O'Neal would also be more likely than Hamilton to work out a buyout because he'd only have one more year, compared to Hamilton's two.

I don't doubt that Orlando has more attractive players to offer Detroit. But the teams don't match up well for three reasons: 1) Orlando needs a center before it needs yet another shooter, 2) Detroit is in no position to demand a bounty of prospects for an expensive malcontent who's made it clear he wants out, and 3) Boston can offer faster cap relief, unless Orlando expands the trade and surrenders a core player.

If the Celtics need to add a little more to O'Neal/Robinson/Daniels in order to entice the Pistons, then throw in a second round draft pick, or maybe even a conditional first rounder. Obtaining Richard Hamilton would basically ensure Banner 18. The Celtics would always have at least two top scorers on the floor, Pierce and Allen could get plenty of rest, and at times, all three of them could play together and create defensive nightmares for opponents. Make it happen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Davidap,

I like your thinking...very well thought out. Rip is the type of scorer/shooter we need off the bench. I think it would be easier and more cost efective to get Posey but I could live with Rip. I would prefer a former starter so they will be able to run the 2nd unit. Right now our 2nd unit is rudderless and without any leadership or direction. There is no identity.

I'm not sure what the move will be but I think Ainge sees his team is crumbling as the season goes on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Tonoy Alllen very funny

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I'd love to get TA personally, but I see him playing more lately for memphis.  I don't think he's available.

Or maybe they're playing him to showcase?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stiorevo. Show stiorevo's posts

Davidap.  I like what you stated, too bad it will not happen.  Best trade idea todate.  IMO.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Daviddap,
    I like your thinking also.  It is hard to imagine a team like the Celtics needing such drastic moves but it is clear the injuries have made future losses likely.  We have a GM who is very good at making bold moves let's hope he makes the right ones.

I love Rip Hamilton. His game this year has really deteriorated though.  I hope it is a game that is salvageable. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chief16OZ. Show Chief16OZ's posts

Despite the plethora of injuries we'd sustained ALL year, up til the Orlando game I felt confident the current roster had all the necessary components to bring home the bacon.  

Then Marquis' limp body plumeted to the floor and we all held our breath. (prayers go out to him, way beyond basketball). Quis injury is a huge setback to the Celtics.  As many of you have pointed out, quis suffered a very freakish, scary injury. For someone who historically has struggled to regain confidence after injury, that type of life altering injury will always loom in the corners of Quis mind (if not in the forefront).  Will he make it back this year and if so in what state of mind? 

The need to spell Pierce is indeniable, he simply cannot go balls to the wall for the next 4 + months. Whether a top tier defender or all star offensive player would benefit the celtics more Im not sure but one of the two must be added and quick.  

In addition to Quis situation, JO's career also hangs by a ligament and hacky-sack has been one step forward two steps back all season long.  We are just too darn thin to make it to the playoffs intact.  Overloading the starters now means potentially blowing a gasket and leaving the ferrari in the shop til next October. No thanks.  We need another big and a 3 NOW, not in two months!  

Rip is known for his stroke, Battier for defense, Posey a bit of both.  All three players represent a welcome addition but another center is also needed.  I'd prefer the defense of JO to Sheed but any proven big body will do.  

Talent wise I'm still more than satisfied with our current roster but this is not about an upgrade in talent, this is about able bodies!

Work your magic DA.

Go CELTICS!

Sections
Shortcuts