Trade Garnett

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Trade Garnett

Ainge said the Celtics of the 80s made the mistake of retaining Bird/McHale/Parish for far too long, instead of trading them off for younger players. This tells me he'll be looking to deal one of the Big Three. The most obvious choice is Kevin Garnett.

Paul Pierce has been in Boston his whole career, ownership loves him, and he's probably the most well-rounded player on the team. He's a Boston lifer.

Ray Allen, while old, stays in great shape, just completed his best season in a Celtic uniform, and was the least of the Celtics' problems. Just play him fewer minutes and he should remain very effective.

Kevin Garnett is the guy who took a noticeable downturn. He doesn't rebound as well. He doesn't score as much. He gets bullied in the paint. He's no longer the ferocious presence who intimidates opposing players. He can still display some vintage form on some nights (like Game 3 of the Heat series) but he can't play at that elite level on a consistent basis. This will only get worse next year. Trade him while he's still worth something to somebody. Allowing his contract to expire does the Celtics no good because the Tier A free agents won't be coming to Boston anyway.

If I'm Danny Ainge, I call the Golden State Warriors (now owned by a former minority owner of the Celtics) and make the following offer:

To GS: Kevin Garnett, Avery Bradley, 2011 1st round draft pick.
    To BOS: David Lee, Andris Biedrins, Dorell Wright.

Remember Lee from his days with the New York Knicks? The guy knows how to rebound. He's a very underrated player and significantly younger than Garnett. I think Doc Rivers could mold him into a force. The Celtics desperately need guys who can rebound.

Andris Biedrins would basically take the Nenad Krstic role. He has 3 years left on his deal and the Warriors have been trying to unload him for the last couple seasons. He's an okay rebounder who can stretch the floor. I'd envision him as a player in the second unit.

Dorell Wright had a breakout season in 2010-11. He's 24 and a volume scorer. The Celtics can use a guy to sub for Pierce and Allen.

Why the Warriors make this deal: 1. They've got plenty of offense, they have no defense. Garnett and Bradley are strong defensive players. 2. The deal is cap-friendly for the Warriors because Garnett and Bradley come off the books much sooner than Lee (4 years) and Biedrins (3 years). 3. The Warriors are a team with a lot of young talent and no veteran leadership. Garnett would be a good senior statesman for a club learning how to win.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Re: Trade Garnett

Don't see it happening. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

I have a hunch that Doc wants to stick around until the Big-3 are gone. I'm guessing he'll take a break after next season, after the Big-3 is broken up.

I could be wrong, but that's my feeling. I expect the Big-3 and Rondo will all be around by the start of next season and my best guess is that they will be starters as well.

I think if any of the Big-3 was to leave, Doc would strongly consider leaving as well. Of course Doc only knows, but that's my guess.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Garnett:
    [QUOTE]I know KG has been a disappointment but he deserves to retire a Celtic.  If there's a deal that I would want to happen it would be Pierce for Rudy Gay. Pierce will make the Grizz a contender. Zach Randolph will be turning 30 in July so the Grizz have more or less a 3-4 year window of opportunity.  While it's true Rudy Gay would be a better player than Paul Pierce in the regular season, the playoffs is a different story. Pierce still has 2 good years left in him. It would make sense for the Grizz. And the Grizz would save some money, 19m for the additional year on Gay's contract, if they did this trade. 
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Fierce, I'm not sure how you can say that Garnett deserves to retire a Celtic, while Pierce should be traded for an inferior post-season player. Paul Pierce has been a Celtic his entire career. He's still near top form. He's the best all-round player on the team. If the Celtics owe loyalty to anyone, it's Paul Pierce.

Kevin Garnett was brought in to win a championship and he succeeded in his first year. He's only been in Boston for four seasons, less when you consider the time he missed due to injury in Year 2. I see no reason why the Celtics owe him anything other than gratitude for his contributions in 2008. He's the weakest link among the Big Three and should be traded for someone who can actually play the post and grab rebounds. I'm tired of watching this team lose the glass wars every game. Maybe the Warriors wouldn't be willing to swap Lee and Biedrins for Garnett, but Ainge should be thinking along those lines. The Celtics don't need an outside shooting power forward, they have plenty of other good shooters. They need rebounding, rebounding, and more rebounding. The Celtics generally out-shoot their opponents. They lose because of their inability to rebound the basketball and prevent teams from scoring second chance points. They also lose because they're an older team that only plays 3 1/2 quarters. Add some rebounding, mix in some youth, and problem solved, the Celtics can return to the top of the mountain.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I don't believe that any team would be interested in Garnett. And Pierce should not be traded. Would be extremely bad form from Danny Ainge to trade Pierce. He's a guy who ought to retire as a Celtic. And retire when he's still playing the game at a reasonable level.

Any GM who trades for Garnett really would need their head examined. Not being mean or anything but Garnett is really in the twilight of his career. Still capable of a big game as evidenced in game 3. But not with any consistency.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Garnett played too many minutes at the end of the season.  He was very good through the year and ate up foes that said he lost it the year before.  Doc was forced to play him because of Shaq and JON and he became exhausted at playoff's end.

The guy looked better most of this year than he did since 2008.  Let's keep him in perspective.  Nobody wants his salary either.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Who would take Garnett at 36 years of age and an expiring contract worth $19.4M? No disrespect meant to KG, but the man is no longer a hot commodity. Perhaps, if the Celts can get him to sign an extension for a much less amount, he would become attractive to teams seeking veteran leadership.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]I have a hunch that Doc wants to stick around until the Big-3 are gone. I'm guessing he'll take a break after next season, after the Big-3 is broken up. I could be wrong, but that's my feeling. I expect the Big-3 and Rondo will all be around by the start of next season and my best guess is that they will be starters as well. I think if any of the Big-3 was to leave, Doc would strongly consider leaving as well. Of course Doc only knows, but that's my guess.
    Posted by vertigho[/QUOTE]
    I think you hit the nail on the head.
    Let's hope Danny "shoot from the hip" Ainge keeps that in mind.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

can we get blake griffin some how for kg? if not i dont see anyone worth replacing him with.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]I don't believe that any team would be interested in Garnett. And Pierce should not be traded. Would be extremely bad form from Danny Ainge to trade Pierce. He's a guy who ought to retire as a Celtic. And retire when he's still playing the game at a reasonable level. Any GM who trades for Garnett really would need their head examined. Not being mean or anything but Garnett is really in the twilight of his career. Still capable of a big game as evidenced in game 3. But not with any consistency.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

Ru

KG could be the guy that puts a real contender over the top.  He could easily give a team 28-32 minutes of solid play.  That isn't to say that there is a team who could give the Celtics back draft picks, desirable young players and a vet or two to match salaries via trade, assuming the Celtics would even go there.  If Dallas doesn't win this year, they have enough veteran talent (Caron Butler, Chandler, Haywood) to maybe put together a package of picks/players to entice Danny Ainge.  Dallas is just an example, I am sure there are others, maybe like New Orleans. 

To me, I've learned that Danny Ainge will do the unexpected.  And trading KG to a contender to hasten the rebuilding process isn't outside the realm of possibility.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

[QUOTE]I don't believe that any team would be interested in Garnett. And Pierce should not be traded. Would be extremely bad form from Danny Ainge to trade Pierce. He's a guy who ought to retire as a Celtic. And retire when he's still playing the game at a reasonable level. Any GM who trades for Garnett really would need their head examined. Not being mean or anything but Garnett is really in the twilight of his career. Still capable of a big game as evidenced in game 3. But not with any consistency.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

Retire at a reasonable level!!!  Now if we could get them to all do it now!!!  And take the coach.

PA

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Edcap,
    KG is going to be 35 this month not 36.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Davidap, I would not be against trading Garnett but I am not sure many teams would be interested in obtaining a 35 year old PF who's plays like a SF.

But I do agree that there are some interesting points to your argument.  GSW might be interested in unloading their longer term contracts (David and Andres) in return for one coming off the books at season's end.  You also make a good point that GSW needs to add a defensive presence and if you take ANY stock (I do not) in players on the all-defensive team, then KG still has some value, even if mainly on the defensive end.

I don't believe KG deserves to retire as a Celtic.  Pierce should be given that opportunity more than any other Celtic right now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

The thing about KG is that he is a irrereplaceable player.

Does he still have the athleticism he had 3 or 4 years ago? No, but the guy is a defensive presence, a leader on and off the court and he can still hit the mid-range jumper.

Seriously, I know the guy is old, but this is one of the last guys you want to get rid of on a team that is still on the brink of competing for a championship. Even though KG isn't as productive as he used to be, he is the guy that puts you "over the top" when it comes to winning a championship. This is the guy we need to contend next year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

we should not do anything, and i don't think we will, that will affect our salary cap situation in 2012. ainge has been very careful not to extend our salary commitments beyond 2012, even refusing to spend money to keep perk around. so he's not going to throw away an expiring salary like KG's to take on david lee's salary. that would be dumb.

Sections
Shortcuts