Trade Garnett

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Re: Trade Garnett

Given the murky ownership situation in New Orleans, the Hornets would probably consider Garnett (1 year remaining) for Okafor (3 years left) and Ariza (3 years left). In 31.3 minutes, Garnett averaged 14.9 PPG/8.9 RPG/2.4 APG. In 31.8 minutes, Okafor averaged 10.3 PPG/9.5 RPG/0.6 APG. Okafor is 6 years younger than Garnett and more of an inside player at this juncture in his career. The Hornets would like the shorter commitment. Garnett also fits their needs better than Okafor because they already have an inside presence with David West.

The Celtics would be downgrading slightly at PF/C in swapping Garnett for Okafor but Ariza (still only 25 years old) would tip the deal in Boston's favor. In 34 minutes last year, he averaged 11PPG/5.4 RPG/2.2 APG. He's also an excellent defender. Between Ariza and Jeff Green (if re-signed), Pierce and Allen would finally receive plenty of rest. Also keep in mind that Okafor is a terrific shot-blocker with superior post skills to Garnett (at this time).

Sign Oden with the MLE and the starting lineup would be Greg Oden, Emeka Okafor, Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo and Ray Allen, with Jermaine O'Neal, Jeff Green, Trevor Ariza and Delonte West off the bench. Extra 4/5 depth might include Shaquille O'Neal and Jeff Foster.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Trade Garnett:
    [QUOTE]Ainge said the Celtics of the 80s made the mistake of retaining Bird/McHale/Parish for far too long, instead of trading them off for younger players. This tells me he'll be looking to deal one of the Big Three. The most obvious choice is Kevin Garnett. Paul Pierce has been in Boston his whole career, ownership loves him, and he's probably the most well-rounded player on the team. He's a Boston lifer. Ray Allen, while old, stays in great shape, just completed his best season in a Celtic uniform, and was the least of the Celtics' problems. Just play him fewer minutes and he should remain very effective. Kevin Garnett is the guy who took a noticeable downturn. He doesn't rebound as well. He doesn't score as much. He gets bullied in the paint. He's no longer the ferocious presence who intimidates opposing players. He can still display some vintage form on some nights (like Game 3 of the Heat series) but he can't play at that elite level on a consistent basis. This will only get worse next year. Trade him while he's still worth something to somebody. Allowing his contract to expire does the Celtics no good because the Tier A free agents won't be coming to Boston anyway. If I'm Danny Ainge, I call the Golden State Warriors (now owned by a former minority owner of the Celtics) and make the following offer: To GS: Kevin Garnett, Avery Bradley, 2011 1st round draft pick. To BOS: David Lee, Andris Biedrins, Dorell Wright. Remember Lee from his days with the New York Knicks? The guy knows how to rebound. He's a very underrated player and significantly younger than Garnett. I think Doc Rivers could mold him into a force. The Celtics desperately need guys who can rebound. Andris Biedrins would basically take the Nenad Krstic role. He has 3 years left on his deal and the Warriors have been trying to unload him for the last couple seasons. He's an okay rebounder who can stretch the floor. I'd envision him as a player in the second unit. Dorell Wright had a breakout season in 2010-11. He's 24 and a volume scorer. The Celtics can use a guy to sub for Pierce and Allen. Why the Warriors make this deal: 1. They've got plenty of offense, they have no defense. Garnett and Bradley are strong defensive players. 2. The deal is cap-friendly for the Warriors because Garnett and Bradley come off the books much sooner than Lee (4 years) and Biedrins (3 years). 3. The Warriors are a team with a lot of young talent and no veteran leadership. Garnett would be a good senior statesman for a club learning how to win.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

There has to be a ton of teams around the league looking to add a 21 million player near the end of the road, with a hard cap around 60 million, adding a plyer that would be one third of the cap makes a lot of sense......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

Trade Garnett for what???  A new wheelchair for paula to ride in?  Cool

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

I wonder if the new CBA will allow for contract restructuring given it comes with a (new) hard cap? Any thoughts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

There has to be a ton of teams around the league looking to add a 21 million player near the end of the road, with a hard cap around 60 million, adding a plyer that would be one third of the cap makes a lot of sense......

Yes, it does make a lot of sense. It's called an expiring contract. Teams trade longer-term deals for shorter commitments all the time, even when the player with one year remaining is no longer productive. At least in Garnett's case, he's still a borderline All-Star talent. Of course the Celtics could trade him. The question is how much they'd have to take back in years and unwanted players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

I think we see the Celtics stick it out at least thats what I hope.

Let KG play out his final year along with the guys and let him retire. Ray will either resign as a bench guy here or elsewhere. Paul I hope they honestly restructure his deal. I don't understand why they resigned him to such a long deal.

Once next year is finished you go after players that will help you build around Rondo. I dont know what the FAs look like after next summer but for our sake I hope its good. 

Trading a player mid year changes the atmosphere and culture. You thought trading Perkins upset Rondo? Trading KG would change this entire team for the worse. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

First: 10/29/2005
    Last: 5/13/2011

Yes, it does make a lot of sense. It's called an expiring contract. Teams trade longer-term deals for shorter commitments all the time, even when the player with one year remaining is no longer productive. At least in Garnett's case, he's still a borderline All-Star talent. Of course the Celtics could trade him. The question is how much they'd have to take back in years and unwanted players.

-------------------------------------

Oh, must be nice to DREAM!!  Cool

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tabuckiss. Show Tabuckiss's posts

Get your head examined!  There's no easy fix!  Doc uped for 5 years...there's tricks up their sleeves...he aint stayin to watch the fab 3 die....there's something brewin and it aint dudders tea!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Keep the BIG 3 !!!.....

....and I do sense that they will be back next year. I read in a sports journal somewhere---don't recall the source---that Kobe could become a Celtic...UGH !!!

Remember when Jeter was not immediately gobbled up by the Yankees and there was talk the Red Sox would love him & quickly thereafter he was resigned. I do not believe the Lakers would ever let Kobe go to the Celtics. 

As a spetuagenarian I like older guys still able to compete in sports and I believe the Big 3 have another year in them perhaps all playing 1/2 minutes. And you know, although Kobe is a DIVA, but far fetched as it is, if he did come to Boston, Garnett & group would not let him have his way as he has done with LA. With Rondo healthy next year, Jeff Green & Delonte West now more experienced working with this team, we should consider getting rid of BBD & somehow get a young powerful center. but keeping JON too.  Don't know if we can get Howard, maybe need to offer Rondo with BBD and some $ & draft picks. I'd even swap Rondo even up for Chris Paul. Having a guard who can shoot from the perimeter and can drive to the basket too, we would not need someone as dominant as Howard under the basket as opponents would need come out and defend Paul as many did not Rondo not fearing his shooting so had an extra person underneath for rebounds.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickFox17. Show RickFox17's posts

KG should play 5 minutes per quarter or play the first quarter and last quarter

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Garnett:
    [QUOTE]Get your head examined!  There's no easy fix!  Doc uped for 5 years...there's tricks up their sleeves...he aint stayin to watch the fab 3 die....there's something brewin and it aint dudders tea!
    Posted by Tabuckiss[/QUOTE]

There is something brewing.... and if you heard Danny's interview yesterday you might know what it is.

No magic bullet - probably sign Green, get some help in the draft, not sure about Shaq, not sure about J O, may have to wait until 2012 to get better, etc......

One day everyone wants Danny fired, the next he is the omniscient that assembled the Big 3 and can obviously do it again simply by duping several of his peers.

He has no trading chips and the bad teams are looking to dump salaries in anticipation of a lower hard cap, they are not looking to add aging stars unless the Cs of course are willing to take back a bunch of ho-hum players that will ensure that the Cs end up in the land of mediocrity.

Danny also said Doc is a coach at heart and that he will be willing to be the coach regardless of the team's goal, whether it is simply to make the playoffs, or to rebuild, etc. he is a coach at heart.

There is no magic.  It is 30 guys trying to do the best thing for their respective team for the short and long term.

Could you imagine what would happen if Danny traded KG and his 21 million dollars for three 7 million players that all have their warts - remember they are 7 million players for a reason.

I think Danny is negligent if he does anything other allow the Big 3 to dissolve naturally through retirement or injury or whatever. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Garnett : Ru KG could be the guy that puts a real contender over the top.  He could easily give a team 28-32 minutes of solid play.  That isn't to say that there is a team who could give the Celtics back draft picks, desirable young players and a vet or two to match salaries via trade, assuming the Celtics would even go there.  If Dallas doesn't win this year, they have enough veteran talent (Caron Butler, Chandler, Haywood) to maybe put together a package of picks/players to entice Danny Ainge.  Dallas is just an example, I am sure there are others, maybe like New Orleans.  To me, I've learned that Danny Ainge will do the unexpected.  And trading KG to a contender to hasten the rebuilding process isn't outside the realm of possibility.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

That's a good point.

He could do a lot of damage coming off the bench with a contending team. Would be hard to find a match though. Portland wouldn't be a bad place for him, however they'd want their health to improve. Could imagine him also doing well with The Thunder.

Would be hard for a group of young guys with Garnett coming in though. He'd really try to impose his will on them in regards to defense, if the guys are willing to listen to him and learn a fair bit then they'd do ok. If they switch off then there would be major problems in the locker room.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

KG is still a very good player and head a good season.. The guy played with alot of energy and all anyone can point to is the few playoff games he ahd against the HEat where he didnt produce..

KG was a monster defensively... I dont mean 1on1 defense, I mean the entire defense revolves around him.. He was a very good defensive rebounder too.. What he wont ever be is a consistent post presence... but apparently DOc and alot of fans insist he do that... When he does he has occassional success then abandons it the next 4 games..  Is it so hard to figure out KG isnt gonna go to the post no matter what??? Hes 35 and its not gonna change.

Leaving out his contract.. KG has value..

Where we have issues with the big 3 is... they are still at allstar caliber but, they arent at allstar caliber consistently.. maybe 1or2 one day... maybe just 1 on another.

KG would fit great in OKC or a bunch of other places and they'd drool to have a hard working vet, an intense focus to bring to the team in addition to his basketball skills.... but at 20 mil... its not gonna happen imo.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I have read other posts around here and someone (Rameakap?) threw out the idea trading KG to a team looking to create cap space, and when he is subsequently bought out the C's re-sign him after the rules allow (see Ilgauskas most recently, and many others).  If the new CBA allows for a similar ploy, then maybe they do it.  I hadn't thought of that possibility, but there may be a team looking to jettison some reasonable talanet in the hopes of making a run at Deron Williams, Paul, Howard and other FAs. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Paul and KG will most likely retire Celtics or move on because they choose it.  Ray, most likely, because it will be hard to trade him for even or more value, in fact Paul is the only one you could get even or more value for.  KG deserves to stay a Celtic and still brings a determination that is needed by any team, someone might just overpay for him but I doubt it.  I think we still have two good years left and could stay very competative and develop some young talent at the same time.  Some of our young talent plus draft choice could bring in a very good talent or draft choice.  We are near rebuilding state but let us give Danny his chance this summer to put together a contender.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder if the new CBA will allow for contract restructuring given it comes with a (new) hard cap? Any thoughts.
    Posted by futbal[/QUOTE]

I would imagine that if their is a hard cap, contract restructuring could happen.  How would teams be able to retain their current players and make any additions if they lower the salary cap and make it a hard cap?  It would be almost impossible with teams that have players making higher salaries to even sign free agents and complete their roster for the season.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]I know KG has been a disappointment but he deserves to retire a Celtic.  If there's a deal that I would want to happen it would be Pierce for Rudy Gay. Pierce will make the Grizz a contender. Zach Randolph will be turning 30 in July so the Grizz have more or less a 3-4 year window of opportunity.  While it's true Rudy Gay would be a better player than Paul Pierce in the regular season, the playoffs is a different story. Pierce still has 2 good years left in him. It would make sense for the Grizz. And the Grizz would save some money, 19m for the additional year on Gay's contract, if they did this trade. 
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

The only member of the current Celtics team that deserves to retire as a Celtic is Paul Pierce.  He has devoted his entire career to the Celtics organization and I would be very upset if he ever got traded.  I believe he is the only current Celtics player that shouldn't be traded, although, I would imagine that it is highly unlikely that you see any of the big 4 traded anytime soon.  The big 3 are probably all going to be here until their contracts end, but I suppose that anything is possible. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Garnett : Usually a team receiving a contract like KG's would also throw in a bad contract for the other team to absorb. Unless the Celts are also willing to absorb a bad contract trading KG is very unlikely.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

I assume that the C's get a few players that help in the short term while giving the other team a lot of cap relief.  Someone threw out Baron Davis and Varejao, two guys who could help here.  Not saying it's ideal, but a possibility. 

Sections
Shortcuts