Trade Jermaine O'Neal for Hasheem Thabeet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsredsox. Show celticsredsox's posts

Trade Jermaine O'Neal for Hasheem Thabeet

Read in hoopshype that Memphis is open to trading Thabeet.  I'd say DA should trade the insignificant Jermaine O'neal for the 7'3" Thabeet.  He may not be that good now but in the next year or two, with proper training he will be a nice presence in the paint to battle the likes of Gasol, Bynum, Howard, & other seven footers.  We're not getting anything from JON anyway plus Perk is healing fast.  Thabeet could be part of the Celts future.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Re: Trade Jermaine O'Neal for Hasheem Thabeet

I think Thabeet will be a player in this league.  And tell me, please, why would Memphis want Jermaine?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Even tho Im not all that happy with JON, at least hes proven to be a legit NBA player.. Maybe hes lost it all, maybe he'll never be healthy for  more than a few games at a time.. 

Would rather roll the dice on JON than Thabeet for this season... Thabeet hasnt shown hes can be of any help to an NBA team so far in his career. Why take a chance on someone that a lousy team doesnt even use?  Stick with JON.. I wouldnt make any changes to our team unless it was a no brainer... like Melo for AB, plus a 3rd round pick lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Boy, this is tough because I had thought of that but Thabeet is just such a project. If you look at another player that came in about the same time in ROy Hibbert. Hibbert is probably going to get most improved player and has really changed his body and game. Thabeet just hasn't developed. I think with some good coaching he could be good but right now he's not even better than Erden. So we'd have 2 projects...I think I would pass on this.

Now if you want to talk about Gasol who has a modest contract that's another story. Wishful thinking I know but as I always say Wallace owes the Cs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Jermaine O'Neal for Hasheem Thabeet:
    [QUOTE]I think Thabeet will be a player in this league.  And tell me, please, why would Memphis want Jermaine?
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

Why would the C's want Thabeet?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Even tho Im not all that happy with JON, at least hes proven to be a legit NBA player.. Maybe hes lost it all, maybe he'll never be healthy for  more than a few games at a time..  Would rather roll the dice on JON than Thabeet for this season... Thabeet hasnt shown hes can be of any help to an NBA team so far in his career. Why take a chance on someone that a lousy team doesnt even use?  Stick with JON.. I wouldnt make any changes to our team unless it was a no brainer... like Melo for AB, plus a 3rd round pick lol
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Agree that Thabeet hasn't shown he can be a good NBA player.  He was one of the best college players, but he definitely is a different player in the NBA.  Maybe in a few years he will improve, but not this year. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Can't be any worse than JO.  How about johnny flynn going to dleague?  That was surprising as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Jermaine O'Neal for Hasheem Thabeet : Why would the C's want Thabeet?
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]
    I didn't say they would.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Jermaine O'Neal for Hasheem Thabeet : I didn't say they would.
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

Good point.  Guess I should pay more attention.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

This Celtics team is focusing on winning the championship this season. They're not looking at 3 or 5 years down the road. If J.O is eventually traded, it should be for a player that will help win a championship this season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Memphis won't trade Thabeet for O'Neal that is idiocy

As much as you might like to smear the young man game, Thabeet is still a project and still has a decent future in the league. As a UConn season ticket holder I said before the draft that Thabeet will be somewhat better than Sam Dalambert and somewhat worse than Dikembe Mutombo.

Now that I've seen his minor struggles at the college level totally be exposed and blow up in his face at the pro level I'll temper that into Thabeet being somewhat better than Desagana Diop and somewhat worse than Samuel Dalambert.

If he can get it together as a 12 minute backup next season I'd see him spending the enxt decade as a big piece of a playoff team puzzle, just a solid in the rotation big. A guy who gives you 24-28 minutes, 5-6 points, 8 boards and 2-3 blocks. He's 7'3" and that bothersome length will always be there.

He'll never pull a Hibbert type improvement b/c he doesn't have the offense. But he can be one of the best defensive C's in the game, so don't sleep on him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

This is an interesting idea.  Honestly, it may eventually boil down to "who will be available to be on the court".  We have a back to back tomorrow and Wednesday and if JON sits out one of those games, I'd have serious concerns about his ability to stay healthy for the remainder of the season.  If JON cannot stay on the court, he has no value to the Celtics or anyone else.  If someone wants to trade for him to buy him out and get the cap relief, then good luck doing that.  No matter how much he can help us, if cannot play, the Celtics don't need him.

I'm a believer that a player's surroundings and the organizational support can play a major role in that player's development.  If you put Thabeet around Shaq and KG and Perk and coach him up, I think he'd be much better than he's shown for Memphis.  Who in Memphis can provide mentoring to him, Zach Randolph?  If JON cannot stay healthy long enough to stay on the court, I say make a trade.

Here's my thinking, JON should be given about 14 games (to the halfway point) to see if he can 1) consistently stay on the court and 2) contribute in a meaningful manner.  If, during that time, he continues to miss games due to injury and, when he does play, fails to contribute, it may be time to let him go.

Some personnel moves turn out to be mistakes.  It's ok to recognize them and fix it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Old stiff for a young stiff....let's all move on.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Based on what we have seen from JO,  what NBA team would ever want him?  We are stuck with him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]This is an interesting idea.  Honestly, it may eventually boil down to " who will be available to be on the court ".  We have a back to back tomorrow and Wednesday and if JON sits out one of those games, I'd have serious concerns about his ability to stay healthy for the remainder of the season.  If JON cannot stay on the court, he has no value to the Celtics or anyone else.  If someone wants to trade for him to buy him out and get the cap relief, then good luck doing that.  No matter how much he can help us, if cannot play, the Celtics don't need him. I'm a believer that a player's surroundings and the organizational support can play a major role in that player's development.  If you put Thabeet around Shaq and KG and Perk and coach him up, I think he'd be much better than he's shown for Memphis.  Who in Memphis can provide mentoring to him, Zach Randolph?  If JON cannot stay healthy long enough to stay on the court, I say make a trade. Here's my thinking, JON should be given about 14 games (to the halfway point) to see if he can 1) consistently stay on the court and 2) contribute in a meaningful manner.  If, during that time, he continues to miss games due to injury and, when he does play, fails to contribute, it may be time to let him go. Some personnel moves turn out to be mistakes.  It's ok to recognize them and fix it.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%

Jermaine gets 14 games and that brings him up to the Utah/Washington back to back

As I said in another thread I see that as the weekend that Perk finally starts to fill the backup Center role after a couple cups of coffee get your legs under you appearances 1/12 and 1/14 vs. Sac/Cha and then use his fouls on howard 1/17th.

JON likely will not have shown us that he is more valuable thanPerk by then. with Semih capable of playign spot mins if we give Shaq or KG a night off we don't need O'Neal.

Of course a swap for Thabeet is foolish and unrealistic, but in a package with Quis, Bradley and our #1 pick for a defensive SF like Gerald Wallace or Tayshaun Prince then you gotta pull the trigger on that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TOMAA99999. Show TOMAA99999's posts

Give Jermaine some time first to see if he can be the player that he can be before thinking about trading him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Doc may serve better to play JON against the lessor teams (Det & Ind) right now to build his confidence. Throwing him in on National TV vs Orlando may not have been the best move.

See we all make the right moves in hindsight. LOL!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

BiasLewis, you make a good point.  However, we got JON for the Chicagos and Orlandos and Miamis and Lakers of the NBA.  We did not get him for the Indianas and Detroits.  As much as he can regain his confidence against Indiana and Detroit, I still expect "something" from him against the better teams.

For me, right now, it's about being on the court.  We are getting nothing from him because he's not on the court.  By mid-season, he has got to show something on the court.

As disappointed as I was with Sheed last season, at least he came to play (suited up) each game and it seemed that when the playoffs started, his contribution increased.  I'll take that over someone who HAS the talent but cannot get onto the court.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Do you remember JO'N in the paly-offs last year?  23.4 mins. --  20.5% FG  --  42.9 FS  --  5.6 Rebs.  --  2 Blocks  --  4.2 Pts..  He was just plain UGLY for Miami.

He has had the same problem this year trying to get the ball over the rim.  Tommy keeps saying that he has to learn to shoot all over again.  Not to promising.

Thabet is 7'3".  You can't teach height!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

And we may still have the trump card for Rasheed..Right? Thabeet,Erden, and Perk would make a nice three headed monster for years to come..Throw in another vet
    along the lines of Shack or Wallace, and we will be strong again...

Sections
Shortcuts