Trade Rondo for Nash, i'll explain logic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Trade Rondo for Nash, i'll explain logic

No i am not being crazy like DaCeltics

Trade Rondo and Jermaine O'Neal (or Krstic signed for 1 year) to the Suns for Nash, Robin Lopez, Mickael Pietrus, we swap first rd picks with the Suns and give them our 2012 1st rd pick.

It is 16.2 million for 19.8 million. when you take the pick swap into consideration we save Phoenix 5 million.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Trade Rondo for Nash, i'll explain logic

This move gives Phoenix the future PG they will not find in the draft unless Kemba slips to 13.

They have a rebuilding run and gun team under Rondo-Dudley-Childress-Warrick-Frye and a good big guy in Gortat. Krstic or JO become exp contract assets. They have a lotto pick in 2012 and our two picks give them depth youth as well.

Nash hooks up w/ old friend KG for their swan song. They represent 33 million in exp contracts. With Ray an additional 30.

Celtics draft a scoring wing like Alec Burks or Klay Thompson at 13. Maybe get a kid who is like the next Eddie Jones, Mitch Richmond, Joe Dumars.

The Celtics make 1 last run at a title with this lineup:

C - Lopez (24 mins) JON/Krstic (16 mins) KG (8 mins)
    PF - KG (20 mins) Green (16 mins) Lopez (12 mins)
    SF - Green (20 mins) Pierce (20 mins) Pietrus (8 mins)
    SG - Ray (28 mins) Burks/Thompson (12 mins) Pierce (8 mins)
    PG - Nash (28 mins) DWest (20 mins)

We could use the MLE (if only on a 1 year guy) to strengthen the froncourt. Ot try to sign and trade Baby and trade him with Krstic or JON and the Cavs 2013 2nd rd pick for Chris Kaman (1 year contract).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

This move then means the Celtics will have all of FOUR players under contract summer of 2013 (Avery gets traded to move up in 2012 draft or for a future pick).

Pierce - 16.7
    Lopez - 4 (qualifying offer)
    Green - extension starting at say 7m.
    '11 1st rd pick - 2.3

'12 1st rd pick in the teens (Clippers) will not have to be signed before free agency.

So... that is 30 million. This years cap was 58 million. Say it drops to 55 million by 2012.

That could be enough space to sign Howard AND Chris Paul or Deron Williams here. It would basically be 5 years 75 million each. I think that is the direction max deals will be in after the new CBA. Not 5 years 100 like Amare got.

So we'd have Howard and Paul as our superstars. Green as the 3rd wheel 18ppg guy. All of them ages 26-27. We'd have THREE talented youngsters in the 20-24 range. A great shooter to spread the floor ans score in the teens. A garbage man big in Lopez to complement Howard, not get in the way on offense. Hustle and build a wall on D.

Then whatever Avery and the Clippers pick turns into. (Likely has to be another big).

And we can keep Ray to backup SG. Pierce is here to backup Green. DWest can return to backup CP3. MAYBE KG comes back at vet minimum for 1-2 years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from spewey. Show spewey's posts

If it helps I proposed a nearly identical move at the trade deadline and was blasted off the board.  Most of the posters here can't stand the thought of trading anybody from the team and spend most of their days pining for Posey to be brought back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from spewey. Show spewey's posts

Here is my original post.  By the way ramekap-your response on 07FEB was one word- "Awful"-so I guess you answered your own question-genius.

Don't usually post these trade proposals but what the hell.  Please Rondo bashers relax (he looked great today).  Nothing against Rajon but here me out.  In an effort to solidify our 2 year championship window and in light of Suns sadly beginning to view Nash in a Ray Bourque kind of light.  Rumors starting to trickle out about the Suns moving Nash (and maybe some love for Grant Hill too??).  They would look great in green for our 2 year run.  I was playing in the trade machine and there are numerous scenarios that would work.

Nash/Hill/Robin Lopez (not sure the Suns would give him up-but hey Rondo is young and has a friendly contract) for Rondo, Baby and J. O'Neal. 

Rondo has played great and has shown improvement in well documented areas that needed improvement (jump shot, FT%) but in 2 years he will be playing with slop and scrubs and probably get moved for building blocks anyway.  Let they young man move West and run in the Valley of the Sun.  Also the guy takes it so hard to the hole that I fear he may not get back up one of these times.

Nash and Hill are professionals and would fit in right away.  Hill could do spurts at PG.  Opposing defenses would have to respect Nash and there would be no doubles on Ray/Pierce or collapsing down low.

Don't know what the Suns thought process is these days but rumors are starting to swirl about Nash and I would presume they would be willing to give Hill a shot at a ring (although he may not want to move to get one).  Getting Lopez would be sweet.  There were other deals that worked and much of this is contigent on how much the Suns would help out a few old timers looking for a ring.

ONLY 17 MONTHS LEFT TO GRAB UP 2 MORE BANNERS!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

It builds a better offensive team but unfortunately, Nash never goes deep into the playoffs because he can't play D.  Every team's guards just have a field day and while Nash accounts for 30 or 40 points for his team between his points and assists, he gives up more on D and the other team wins.  Its his history.  Lakers and Spurs usually enjoy a good series vs him.

I love Nash's talent (passing shooting, savvy on the court, toughness), but he cannot play D and he dominates the ball to get his stats.

I keep Rondo and build slowly until after this coming year when KG, JON, Shaq, and Ray com off the books (total of $38M) and we can go for a good free agent.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I said 'awful'? Well it wouldn't have won us a title thats for sure.

I wasn't thinking about Deron Williams or CP3 in a package with Howard in 2012 back in February.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Rondo for Nash, i'll explain logic:
    This move then means the Celtics will have all of FOUR players under contract summer of 2013 (Avery gets traded to move up in 2012 draft or for a future pick). Pierce - 16.7 Lopez - 4 (qualifying offer) Green - extension starting at say 7m. '11 1st rd pick - 2.3 '12 1st rd pick in the teens (Clippers) will not have to be signed before free agency. So... that is 30 million. This years cap was 58 million. Say it drops to 55 million by 2012. That could be enough space to sign Howard AND Chris Paul or Deron Williams here. It would basically be 5 years 75 million each. I think that is the direction max deals will be in after the new CBA. Not 5 years 100 like Amare got. So we'd have Howard and Paul as our superstars. Green as the 3rd wheel 18ppg guy. All of them ages 26-27. We'd have THREE talented youngsters in the 20-24 range. A great shooter to spread the floor ans score in the teens. A garbage man big in Lopez to complement Howard, not get in the way on offense. Hustle and build a wall on D. Then whatever Avery and the Clippers pick turns into. (Likely has to be another big). And we can keep Ray to backup SG. Pierce is here to backup Green. DWest can return to backup CP3. MAYBE KG comes back at vet minimum for 1-2 years.
    Posted by rameakap

Chris Paul and DH to boston????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Only in boston folks, only in boston!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrade. Show notrade's posts

I said 'awful'? Well it wouldn't have won us a title thats for sure. I wasn't thinking about Deron Williams or CP3 in a package with Howard in 2012 back in February.
    Posted by rameakap

You don't trade your best player for an old player who is on his last legs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Rondo for Nash, i'll explain logic : You don't trade your best player for an old player who is on his last legs.
    Posted by notrade

The point is getting a young PF who would be cheap enough to keep us far under the cap in 2012.

Rondo for Lopez straight up is unfair tho and doesn't work financially anyhow.

Nash is a bonus. He gets to play here with our vets (and simply split time w/ DWest at PG). Nash and DWest can both shoot. West can defend. Nash can get the ball to our big 3 and Green w/ same skill as rondo. Who knows.

We also move up from 25 to 13 in this years draft (next years pick in the 24-28 range won't be a big loss b/c we have Clippers pick in teens). This means we go from a raw upside player 1-2 years away, or an upperclassman role player to maybe an instant bench talent who can start in 2 years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Nash looked horrible the last weeks of the season.  The decline will continue. Rondo is way too good to give up for players so ordinary in caliber.  Pietrus and Lopez could not distinguish themselves on even the Suns mediocre roster.

How would they do here?  The point is getting a player of equal value not a bunch of fairly good players.   Thankfully I am pretty sure Ainge would never make such a trade as he believes in the principle of getting the best player in any deal

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Rondo for Nash, i'll explain logic : Chris Paul and DH to boston???? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Only in boston folks, only in boston!
    Posted by Laker-Nation32

I suppose the logic makes sense as if you get one the other may come, no?  And really Rondo is cheaper than CP3, so they could spend that money on a 2.  Then you have Rondo, DH, and bring in another scorer and have a solid core. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Trade Rondo for Nash, i'll explain logic:
    No i am not being crazy like DaCeltics Trade Rondo and Jermaine O'Neal (or Krstic signed for 1 year) to the Suns for Nash, Robin Lopez, Mickael Pietrus, we swap first rd picks with the Suns and give them our 2012 1st rd pick. It is 16.2 million for 19.8 million. when you take the pick swap into consideration we save Phoenix 5 million.
    Posted by rameakap

Trading Rondo for Nash requires no explanation.  A lesser player for a better player.......... not much of a question in logic.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Here is my original post.  By the way ramekap-your response on 07FEB was one word- "Awful"-so I guess you answered your own question-genius. Don't usually post these trade proposals but what the hell.  Please Rondo bashers relax (he looked great today).  Nothing against Rajon but here me out.  In an effort to solidify our 2 year championship window and in light of Suns sadly beginning to view Nash in a Ray Bourque kind of light.  Rumors starting to trickle out about the Suns moving Nash (and maybe some love for Grant Hill too??).  They would look great in green for our 2 year run.  I was playing in the trade machine and there are numerous scenarios that would work. Nash/Hill/Robin Lopez (not sure the Suns would give him up-but hey Rondo is young and has a friendly contract) for Rondo, Baby and J. O'Neal.  Rondo has played great and has shown improvement in well documented areas that needed improvement (jump shot, FT%) but in 2 years he will be playing with slop and scrubs and probably get moved for building blocks anyway.  Let they young man move West and run in the Valley of the Sun.  Also the guy takes it so hard to the hole that I fear he may not get back up one of these times. Nash and Hill are professionals and would fit in right away.  Hill could do spurts at PG.  Opposing defenses would have to respect Nash and there would be no doubles on Ray/Pierce or collapsing down low.   Don't know what the Suns thought process is these days but rumors are starting to swirl about Nash and I would presume they would be willing to give Hill a shot at a ring (although he may not want to move to get one).  Getting Lopez would be sweet.  There were other deals that worked and much of this is contigent on how much the Suns would help out a few old timers looking for a ring. ONLY 17 MONTHS LEFT TO GRAB UP 2 MORE BANNERS!!!! .   
    Posted by spewey

Going by your February ideas I'd have done it this way:

Perkins, Harangody and Nate for Harden, OKC's 2012 1st rd pick (not the Clippers better one) and Krstic.

Rondo, Marquis Daniels, Wafer and Semih Erden for Nash, Lopez, Hill a swap of 2011 1st rd picks and our 2012 1st rd pick.

Then we'd have had this lineup for the playoffs:

C - Lopez (20) Jermaine (20) Krstic (8)
    PF - KG (32) Baby (16)
    SF - Pierce (32) Hill (16)
    SG - Ray (28) Harden (20)
    PG - Nash (28) DWest (20)

I think we'd have had the #2 seed and a much better showing than we ended up with.

We'd have a better 1st rd pick this year.

The only issue is what kind of talent Rondo is going to be the next 4 years of his deal compared to 10 less million in cap space and less talented young guys.

**I'd also have shopped Baby and Avery around (could bring back a 4-6 million player) for a better rebounding PF with a deal thru 2012 only**

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Pretty well thought out trade and it is interesting, we need to do something like this trade.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

All we really need to do is find a good defensive center and a backup point guard. It shouldn't be that hard in the off season.
    Posted by Kirk6

It's harder to find a good center, if we weren't going to sign Perk we're not going to sign "like Perk" unless he is really cheap or unless we're targeting a bigger prize... Howard?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

All we really need to do is find a good defensive center and a backup point guard. It shouldn't be that hard in the off season.
    Posted by Kirk6

Well look no further than my Chris Kaman, Anderson Varejao, Baron Davis trades that Fierce thinks is so terrible b/c clearly if we have max space next summer, Dwight Howard will choose to play here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PauGasolSmells143. Show PauGasolSmells143's posts

Simply put, the Celtics are a defensive team. Rondo is a 1st Team All-Defensive PG.  Steve Nash doesn't play D.  Thank you for playing, please try again.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth-torpedo34. Show truth-torpedo34's posts

Robin Lopez is barely mediocre. Steve Nash is ancient,and can't play defense, which is the one requirement of being a celt.  Mickael Pietrus is a good defender that you can find in just about every free agent class. Our team becomes worse, we lose the one young player with any potential, and we gain a young center with bad knees and a bad back. This is one of the most insanely idiotic trade proposals I've ever heard. You don't make moves to get worse. Everyone needs to just chill out, quit making drunken trade proposals, and let the green make moves. We aren't the GM's for a reason, because most fans would make knee-jerk reactions to a game or series that would jeopardize the financial and basketball future of an organization.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aznefn. Show aznefn's posts

Robin Lopez is barely mediocre. Steve Nash is ancient,and can't play defense, which is the one requirement of being a celt.  Mickael Pietrus is a good defender that you can find in just about every free agent class. Our team becomes worse, we lose the one young player with any potential, and we gain a young center with bad knees and a bad back. This is one of the most insanely idiotic trade proposals I've ever heard. You don't make moves to get worse. Everyone needs to just chill out, quit making drunken trade proposals, and let the green make moves. We aren't the GM's for a reason, because most fans would make knee-jerk reactions to a game or series that would jeopardize the financial and basketball future of an organization.
    Posted by truth-torpedo34

Your right lol

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Posted by truth-torpedo34

So Lopez has no ability to be a 14-7 combo F-c in 24-26 mins a game? He and whatever guys we pick at 15 (instead of 25) will not be a better value than Krstic and Baby?

Pietrus is better than Sasha and wafer.

The duo of Nash and DWest, w/ the more balanced on both ends West and clutch shooting of Nash, and upgrades elsehwere will that not make up for what is already close to what we'd get with more rondo and less West?

Oh and isn't it about cap space in 2012? Thats what i keep hearing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth-torpedo34. Show truth-torpedo34's posts

The idea of having cap space in 2012 is based on the premise of having rondo, and surrounding him with targets. So we trade him away, and all we have is expiring contracts and avery bradley and paul. The prospect of even having green around is based on rondo.

It doesn't matter what numbers Robin Lopez could potentially put up. Watch him play. He's not very good and he doesn't really have a high ceiling. Justifying the trade by saying pietrus is better than sasha and wafer is beside the point. My 10 year old female cousin plays better D than Von. You find guys like pietrus in free agency, because defense wings that shoot streaky threes are a dime-a-dozen in the nba.
     You never make trades to get 11 years older at the most athletic position in the league (pointguard).
    I really don't mean to go after you personally, but this trade would bring the celtics to the lottery instantly, and just like that we're looking at the mid-90's era celtics all over again.

Sections
Shortcuts