Trade Rondo to Detroit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Trade Rondo to Detroit

He might resign because Josh Smith is there.  Detroit gets Rondo.  We get their lottery pick and Jennings...and maybe Billups.  I'm not a Jennings fan, so maybe we could trade him later on in the season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: Trade Rondo to Detroit

In response to teejaytee70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He might resign because Josh Smith is there.  Detroit gets Rondo.  We get their lottery pick and Jennings...and maybe Billups.  I'm not a Jennings fan, so maybe we could trade him later on in the season.

[/QUOTE]

Nice thought  but what makes u think Detroit would want Rondo for anything more than some journeyman player??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice thought  but what makes u think Detroit would want Rondo for anything more than some journeyman player??

[/QUOTE]

Yeah....I was hoping one of the non-one trick pony posters would respond to this thread.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

The new GM in Detroit might want to make a big splash...but I can also see them doing a sign and trade for Monroe somewhere to add a piece, and then using their pick on a 1 2 or 3 with Smith at PF.

I don't know if they would want to make another move with the Celtics, but the T'Wolves have to do SOMETHING. Now, I know most of the talk is them making a move to send Love somewhere, but I don't see a scenario where they get a ton of value...unless someone is as dumb as Dolan. If I'm them, I'm trading assets to bring in some high level talent. Trade machine works for Rondo for Rubio and Martin plus their pick or two. I'd be willing to toss in Bass for a bad Brewer or Buddinger contract if they needed the pot sweetened a bit.

The T'Wolves go all in to try to keep Love. Maybe they wind up being able to sign another free agent this offseason to form their own three they thought they were starting with Love and Rubio. The Celtics get another pick or two to build with, and two good players on relatively cheap contracts. If they do Bass for Buddinger or Brewer...well they have a pretty big glut at PF anyway, especially if they bring back Hump. Just switching a backup spot at PF for one at SF.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yeah....I was hoping one of the non-one trick pony posters would respond to this thread.

[/QUOTE]

The Lakers' lottery pick is much better.

Nash and the player the Lakers get in the lottery for Rondo.

[/QUOTE]

Depends on how high the Lakers pick.  I don't think they would give up a top 4 selection for him.  I would love that trade, but I'm not sure the Lakers would do it if they are in to top 4.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Lakers' lottery pick is much better.

Nash and the player the Lakers get in the lottery for Rondo.

[/QUOTE]

Depends on how high the Lakers pick.  I don't think they would give up a top 4 selection for him.  I would love that trade, but I'm not sure the Lakers would do it if they are in to top 4.

[/QUOTE]

I think Detroit and the Lakers are the only possibilities because they are the only teams Rondo might resign with.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to jgallag1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The new GM in Detroit might want to make a big splash...but I can also see them doing a sign and trade for Monroe somewhere to add a piece, and then using their pick on a 1 2 or 3 with Smith at PF.

I don't know if they would want to make another move with the Celtics, but the T'Wolves have to do SOMETHING. Now, I know most of the talk is them making a move to send Love somewhere, but I don't see a scenario where they get a ton of value...unless someone is as dumb as Dolan. If I'm them, I'm trading assets to bring in some high level talent. Trade machine works for Rondo for Rubio and Martin plus their pick or two. I'd be willing to toss in Bass for a bad Brewer or Buddinger contract if they needed the pot sweetened a bit.

The T'Wolves go all in to try to keep Love. Maybe they wind up being able to sign another free agent this offseason to form their own three they thought they were starting with Love and Rubio. The Celtics get another pick or two to build with, and two good players on relatively cheap contracts. If they do Bass for Buddinger or Brewer...well they have a pretty big glut at PF anyway, especially if they bring back Hump. Just switching a backup spot at PF for one at SF.

[/QUOTE]

I kinda like this thought too.  Let some other team be stupid enough to believe Rondo/Love is a championship foundation because it ain't.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Another trade that would probably be even less likely could be with Orlando. They've got a pretty good young core to work with, but need some star power to go with it. Just playing around with the trade machine again, Nelson, Aflallo and Maxiell (using the team option prices) for Green and Rondo. Obviously, the Magic #1 would go to the C's. Orlando could then have Rondo, Oladipo, Harkless, Green and Vucevic as a starting 5. They would also have another 1st rounder around 15 or so, and would have 30 something million in cap space to spend on the free agent market. They could go after guys like Gasol, Dirk (although he would probably not go anywhere but back to Dallas), or maybe even Carmelo. I see Gasol as potential, but Carmelo might actually fit that team pretty well.

Rondo, Oladipo, Green, Carmelo, Vucevic as your starting 5. Rondo might be a good enough distributor that Carmalo wouldn't need the ball in his hands at all times. Green goes back to being an afterthought option that can take over when he feels like it. Oladipo and Vucevic become your complimentary guys who do all the other little stuff. It's also a good enough group to cover Melo on D.  You also still have cap room to shore up the bench which would really be Harkless and some other guys.

The Celtics get two of the likely top 5 picks...or better, Aflallo, who is a very good complimentary piece, and only have to keep Nelson and Maxiell for a season.

Again, not likely, and there isn't even any smoke blowing that way, but who knows?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Why don't we trade him for one of there extra big men.. Monroe and there first round pick? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I like both ideas.  Problems, we do NOT ever trade with the lakers.  I don't trust Mitchy boy, and I don't think DA does, either.

Nash would retire, right?  Then we'd have to take Exum or Smart with one of  the picks.

DET - want no part of Jennings, but if we could get Monroe, that would be nice......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

Agree.

But if the Lakers' pick is outside the top 4...

I'd rather take jennings or monroe and detroit's pick than to acquire nash and helping la to rebuild 

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

But if we can get rid of Rondo for him and there first why would you possibly pass that up? That would give us 3 first round picks to have some fireworks..You don't have to give Rondo his max contract and he's with his buddy Josh Smith. Draft a rim protector or trade for one and have Monroe. Win win.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

[QUOTE]

You guys already forgot when the Celts lost to Detroit earlier this month?

Monroe didn't even play in the last 5 minutes of the 4th qtr.

Greg Monroe is one of those Dino Radja types, only good at scoring and rebounding.

Celts need a rim protector/defensive anchor.

Our current bigs, Sully and Oly, will end up having better careers than Greg Monroe.

[/QUOTE]

+1

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

[QUOTE]

You guys already forgot when the Celts lost to Detroit earlier this month?

Monroe didn't even play in the last 5 minutes of the 4th qtr.

Greg Monroe is one of those Dino Radja types, only good at scoring and rebounding.

Celts need a rim protector/defensive anchor.

Our current bigs, Sully and Oly, will end up having better careers than Greg Monroe.

[/QUOTE]

I agree that at least one of them will. I'm not too high on Monroe. I still don't understand why everyone keeps wanting to trade for PF's. It's the only position the Celtics are set at. They have at least one legitimate starter, and a couple (3 if they get Hump again) solid backups. They also have a great PG, even though I'm not a fan, but even there they are only one deep. PF is the one spot they really can't upgrade enough to get significantly better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Nice thought  but what makes u think Detroit would want Rondo for anything more than some journeyman player??"

Just for clarity for those not in lala land, the reasons Rondo will be tough to trade is: 

- his contract is close to expiring, so it's a risk unless the team knows they can extend him. On a longer term contract he'd be much more tradeable

- the Celts owner loves him
    - Ainge really likes him and hates trading his own picks

Aside from those issues it would be good to trade Rondo rather than try to re-sign him...but may not be easy given the above

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Barring any surprise team jumping into the top 3 Detroit should keep their lotto pick, since it needs to land in the top 8, this was not the case 6 weeks back.

I see my Monroe/Jennings and Nash/pick 4-7 for Rondo ideas from months ago have been regurgitated yet again. Detroit (b/c of the presence of Smith) and LA are two of the franchises Rondo would sign an extension with.

Now that Detroit is #8 I would prefer the lotto pick to Monroe (and the Wallace salary dump, which was always a given in my 'sign and trade' with Monroe idea). Monroe is only 24 and a likely 20/10 player, DEFINITELY a quality starting C who makes up for his low block #'s with elite steal #'s for a big, but his average defense next to another tall offensive minded big w/ mediocre D in Olynyk would be a concern here.

If the C's land in the top 3 I could see them doing a Jennings, pick #8 and filler for Rondo deal. Dumars is out though so we'll see what the new guy in charge decides. If they land out of the top 3 I still see them trying to trade the lotto pick to add an all-star to Rondo. but Detroit having a lotto pick changes things a lot.

Sections
Shortcuts