trade Rondo?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

trade Rondo?

Can we dispense with all that foolishness?  You guys are basketball fans I can tell, but sometimes you sound like low basketball IQs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Re: trade Rondo?

oh yeah, btw, not a badly officiated game at all...ill take that offiiciating.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

For the right package, I'd trade Rondo by morning.  He is a top guard but he IS NOT un-tradeable.  Also, by his own admission, he played the worst half of his career.  He got a triple double but the most impressive part of it was the 24 assists.  That was amazing but he struggled to get 10 points and turned the ball over 7 times.

Again, he admitted that he did not play a complete game.  He played horribly in the first half.  When guys like KG and PP and even Baby are on their games, it's just so much easier for Rondo to get those assists.

Come on, let's not get ridiculous to suggest that because Rondo had a good game tonight, with a great assist number, that he is too valuable to be traded.

I will always say that NO PLAYER is un-tradeable for the right package, even Rondo. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Petey, I follow you.  Nobody is untradeable.  Look at the way the the Patriots dealt Lawyer Milloy and Richard Seymour.  Doc is a friend of Belliichick's; I think the Celtics want to emulate the Patriots.  Danny already said nobody is untradeable two years ago and again last season.  Ray-Ray was on the edge there for a while.

I can't imagine getting value though.  I've mentioned a couple of times that Rondo is the most amazing point guard the Celts have had since Tiny.  IMO, that is THE crucial position in the NBA, would you agree?  Guys like this come along once in a generation.  I predict right now he will be a league MVP one day.  I mean he isn't as polished as Chris Paul and Steve Nash.  That's about the only criticism of him I have.  I HOPED John Bagley would be the facilitator.  I hoped and waited for Sherm Douglas to be like that.  I wanted it to be Gary Peyton or Kenny Anderson.  I was jealous as hell that New Jersey got past us with Keith van Horn because Jason Kidd made a player out of him, etc.  You just dont give away Rajon Rondo for Carmelo.  We have a small forward already who is headed to Springfield.

So nobody is totally untradeable, but Rondo is as close as you come.  Trade Garnett?  Trade Pierce?  If nobody is untradeable should we trade KG for Tim Duncan straight up?  KG for Dirk?  Pierce for Kobe?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I completely understand your position.  As close as you feel Rondo is to "un-tradeable" status, I'd trade him tomorrow for Deron Williams -- straight up -- one for one.  I'd do it tomorrow.

Rondo will never be league MVP and YOU state the reason -- because he is not as polished as Steve Nash and Chris Paul and THAT'S what it takes to be league MVP as a PG.  All of the guards you mention Bagley (too slow), Sherm (no shot whatsoever), Peyton (downside of career) had significant holes that greatly stunted their effectiveness as guards when they were Celtics.

And here is the kicker, Rondo will never win league MVP because once Ray, PP and KG leave, Rondo will have to produce more and I'm not sure he is capable.  Jason Kidd was never going to be a consistent scorer as much as he was a great assist man and rebounder.  Kidd's got Dirk to increase his assist numbers too.

Rondo will never be a scorer and when Ray, PP and KG leave, those high assist numbers will be harder to consistently get.  You cannot be league MVP when half the teams you face don't even bother to guard you.  Won't happen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

There was a time when Nash wouldn't shoot if his life depended on it.  This could go either way but, to me anyway, you build around a point guard like Rondo instead of giving that commodity to a possible opponenet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

See, I am not so sure about building around a point guard.  There are plenty of talented PG's but they aren't in the finals (Nash, Westbrook, Paul, Deron Williams, etc.).  Other than Rondo, none of the top PG's have ever won a championship.  And honestly, the Celtics did not build around Rondo and once RA, PP and KG are gone, we may return to mediocrity until we can rebuild.  We built around the Big 3.

Nash has always been a great shooter who Dallas regrets letting go.  Nash has always been a leader in the FT category as well as assist.  If you need a basket, Nash can get it for you.

I always believed a decent PG is a dime a dozen.  I think the Celtics are just as good, if not better, if Deron Williams or Chris Paul or Derrick Rose or Westbrook were the PG right now.  Rondo does alot of things well but nothing great.  He's a very, very good all around PG but he doesn't do any one thing great.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

look how long it took the celts to get a good pg

all that mediocrity

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

Trade Rondo? What are you smokin',For who?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Petey- don't forget the torrid 2-6 FT shooting.  Looking like it's shaping up to be another hot shootin mid range / FT year again.  I'd trade him in 30 minutes if you gave me the right package.  We'd honestly be better suited with an even scoring presence @ the point so that the old guys aren't constantly saddled with all the scoring. 

It'd be nice for 34/5 y/o ray, pierce, kg to come to work knowing their PG could spread the floor each night and get his own 15 or so a night and not be a lemon at the freebie line.  oops, and don't forget the run away from ball handling duties problem in crunch time issue because helen keller can shoot the same %age at the stripe as your PG does.

I bet they'd be really relieved to have a PG with solid fundamentals.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Petey and Acey, you guys are a bit out of your minds. Acie, these guys love playing with Rondo because he gets them the ball where they want it. Read the quotes. 

Petey, Rondo is untradeable because the only guys worth trading for him one on one, the ones that you listed, would never be traded for him so it's a stalemate there. Right now, we don't need a shoot first point guard. Yes, when the big three are gone we'll have a different look at Rondo but that's not the issue currently. For now, what we need from Rondo is to make his free throws when it counts and to wreak havoc late in games and get to the line when needed. 

"He's a very, very good all around PG but he doesn't do any one thing great."  I don't think that's an accurate analysis at all. He tied all time assist record through the first three games so it's clear that he excels there. He's also the best rebounding point guard in the league, certainly for his size. He can defend on the perimeter with the best of them - as long as he puts the effort in. Rondo's flaws as a point guard are not that he's all around but precisely because he's not good all around. He's incredible in one area (assists and court vision) exceptional in others (driving, rebounding, speed of game), but limited in others until he proves otherwise (jump shooting, free throws). Then he's a bit smaller so he is vulnerable to getting posted up by bigger guards and his defensive intensity is not consistent. So that's the problem with wrapping your head around him is that he's not all around, he's remarkably varied in ways that are both good and bad. 

Fortunately for our team his strengths are uniquely suited to the players they have put around him, and his liabilities are manageable - as long as he makes his free throws in clutch situations. That's going to be the biggest question once the season hits playoff time. If you didn't enjoy his 24 assist performance tonight then I'm not sure what to say, except, you missed out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: trade Rondo?:
    [QUOTE]Petey- don't forget the torrid 2-6 FT shooting.  Looking like it's shaping up to be another hot shootin mid range / FT year again.  I'd trade him in 30 minutes if you gave me the right package.  We'd honestly be better suited with an even scoring presence @ the point so that the old guys aren't constantly saddled with all the scoring.  It'd be nice for 34/5 y/o ray, pierce, kg to come to work knowing their PG could spread the floor each night and get his own 15 or so a night and not be a lemon at the freebie line.  oops, and don't forget the run away from ball handling duties problem in crunch time issue because helen keller can shoot the same %age at the stripe as your PG does. I bet they'd be really relieved to have a PG with solid fundamentals.
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

The Celtics won a championship with Rondo as the PG. We won't know for sure how KG, Pierce, and Ray will react to a different PG. In other words team chemistry is not something that comes hand in hand with solid fundamentals.

Don't forget that 24 assists is equal to 48 points. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: trade Rondo? : The Celtics won a championship with Rondo as the PG.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

and rondo wasn't really a factor in crunch time since he shoots bricks for FT's.  he's not a complete player.  i know he does flashy things and he is very good @ some things.  all petey and i are saying is that this team would run just fine w/ a competent WELL ROUNDED point guard.  and in fact, the clinching minutes of key games when rondo runs and hides or is taken out of games would be much easier.

rondo wasn't doodly squat against the lakers last year in the finals.  he stank other than 1 game.  our big man problems in game 7 doomed us, but i would assert that if rondo was a 70% free throw shooter and therefore had a UNIFORM CONFIDENCE LEVEL, we never get to that game 7 vs. the lakers becuase we would have won one of the in between ones and taken them in 6.

and now, after a teaser of a game shooting well in the pre season, he is stinko at the foul line again through 3 games.  38%.  i don't understand how anyone could be unconditionally beholden to a 38% FT shooting PG.  you don't think that going into year 5 with the same results that there are just a scintilla of coachability problems and/or stubborness on rondo's part?  does everyone love that too?

at times he is the best player on the floor an at times he is a boat anchor dragging the team to hell.  what we need with these old f@rts on this team is a STEADY point guard now more than ever.  i wish rondo would just become that already.  24 assists are nice, but don't you really think he should torch the living daylights out of a non-defensive minded guy like felton?  if he does then this game isn't even close! 

And why is Felton, a 13 ppg career scorer allowed to get 17 if rondo is all that?  there's more to the game than flashy trinket assist numbers when they are mixed with sub mediocre defense, bad offense and bad free throw shooting and a gaggle of turnovers.

yeah, i know it's game 3 but you see, this crap happens all year long with rondo.  he excels at one thing any given game and is way below average in 2 or 3 others.  he's been this way his whole career.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

Rondo is not even close to being un-tradable! Weak outside shot, can't hit a barn door from the free throw line put him in my 'what can I get for him' category.

The only two players in this league that are untradable are Kobe and LBJ (I'd hear arguments on Durant) but the rest can be put on the block.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

I am concerned about the shots that Rondo is not takingthat are leading to TOs and bad decisions... and there were plenty of them to go around.

I am also concerned that Rondo shot poorly from the FT line once again tonight. How differently I would feel if he had shot 5/6 instead of 2/6. The only person more uncomfortable (and less confident) than I when he steps to the FT line.... in the whole Gee-Dee world... is #9 himself.

For these two very profound reasons, I found it difficult to enjoy the triple double tonight.

I know well what is coming down the pike for this team.... and just exactly  like Rondo standing at the FT line or turning down a wide open 8 to 12 foot jumper, I feel very much like dead man walking.

And the season is very, very young and I am feeling very, very bad. No signs yet from Rondo that he finally gets it.

And Rondo's potential BUPG, DWest might as well be playing with a loaded gun. He is teetering on the edge of disaster.

Pud

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

I don't think Ainge will trade Rondo.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondo9Fan. Show RajonRondo9Fan's posts

Doc Rivers and Danny Aingle like Rondo!
    So he won't go nowhere!
    In my Opionion he's to good and works to hard to let go. he could become deadly if he learns to shoot better

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]Doc Rivers and Danny Aingle like Rondo! So he won't go nowhere! In my Opionion he's to good and works to hard to let go. he could become deadly if he learns to shoot better
    Posted by RajonRondo9Fan[/QUOTE]

My Jaguar XKE sportster would really fly if I could ever get the erratic parking brakes to fully disengage. 

The Rondo led Celtics and my XKE have a lot in common.

Pud

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Nobody is wrong here.  Rondo is a weapon with this personnel that becomes more valuable.  If the Celtics as currently constituted suddenly cannot get good shots it will be time to get rid of Rondo.  He makes the engine run like no other can.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Concord27, thank you.

Nobody here is saying Rondo "should" be traded because we all know that won't happen.  However, I think any player, Rondo included, is trade-able for the right package.  For this team, Rondo is a great fit, AT TIMES.  Other times, like in crunchtime, that is when Rondo's weaknesses are on display most.

IN THE 1st QUARTER, the Celtics NEVER do that Rondo and Pierce pick and roll play where Pierce eventually gets the ball on Rondo's defender at the top of the key.  They only do that play in the fourth quarter because of Rondo's inability to be counted on to attack the basket and hit his foulshots.  Question - is that play truly designed for Pierce or is it to get the ball out of Rondo's hands?

Rondo attacks the basket all the way up to the 4th quarter and, then all of a sudden, the offense goes into that Pierce isolation play.  As talented a player as Rondo is, his weaknesses are so evident and the most critical of times.

It's even more frustrating when the Big 3 are ineffective in the 4th quarter because we cannot consistently count on point production from Rondo deep in the 4th.

I love Rondo but there is nothing wrong or "anti-Rondo" by pointing out valid shortcomings in his game.  So many people here make very valid points that show there is obviously real inconsistencies in his game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

OK, I guess the question becomes:  can Rondo shoot?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

I would take somebody like Tony Parker over Rondo anytime. Too bad he just got a big contract extension with the Spurs Money mouth

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]OK, I guess the question becomes:  can Rondo shoot?
    Posted by shines01[/QUOTE]

Actually the question is much more basic than that.

The question becomes in my mind...  if given the opportunity, under what circumstances will Rondo shoot, and what are the chances of his scoring if he does?

Pud

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Anybody see them practice?  From what I understand he can shoot in practice.  I could be wrong, I've never been.  Also, I could be hallucinating having read that somewhere.

From what I can see, there is no serious mecanical problem.  I have repeatedly stated he doesn't need to hit shots, he needs to take shots.  The more he shoots the more he makes and his percentage goes up.  Also, I don't think the criticism is entirely valid because if I' not mistaken, he led the NBA last year, among guards, in shooting percentage, but I want to verify that.   Nope, I was wrong, he shot .508 which makes him # 10, Chris Paul shot .493, Deron Williams shot .469, Derrick Rose shot .489, Steve Nash shot .507, tony Parker shot .487, GEE, Ray Allen shot .487...etc.  Soooo, Rondo is the best shooter among the people mentioned and even better than Ray-Ray; Russel Westbrook doesn't crack the top 50.  (He is in fact the best shooting point guard in the NBA, according to field goal percentage.)