Trolls

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Re: Trolls

In Response to Re: Trolls:
    In Response to Re: Trolls : Taken from Wiki   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Russell Racist abuse, controversy and reconciliation Russell's life was marked by an uphill battle against racism and controversial actions and statements in response to perceived racism. As a child, the young Russell witnessed how his parents were victims of racial abuse, and eventually moved into housing projects to escape the daily torrent of bigotry. [ 3 ] When he later became a standout amateur basketball player at USF, Russell recalled how he and his few fellow African American colleagues were jeered by white students. [ 11 ] Even after he became a star on the Boston Celtics, Russell was the victim of racial abuse. When the NBA All-Stars toured the U.S. in the 1958 offseason, white hotel owners in segregated North Carolina denied rooms to Russell and his black teammates, causing him to later write in his memoir Go Up for Glory , "It stood out, a wall which understanding cannot penetrate. You are a Negro. You are less. It covered every area. A living, smarting, hurting, smelling, greasy substance which covered you. A morass to fight from." [ 27 ] Before the 1961–62 season, Russell refused to play in an exhibition game in Lexington , Kentucky when he and his black teammates were refused service at a local restaurant. [ 53 ] As a consequence, Russell was extremely sensitive to all racial prejudice: according to Taylor, he often perceived insults even if others did not. [ 17 ] He was active in the Black Power movement and supported Muhammad Ali 's decision to refuse to be drafted. [ 78 ] He was often called "Felton X," a mockery of the Nation of Islam's tradition of replacing a European slave name with an "X," and even purchased land in Liberia. [ 55 ] Russell's public statements became increasingly militant, so far that he was quoted in a 1963 Sports Illustrated interview with the words: "I dislike most white people because they are people... I like most blacks because I am black", expressing that "human" was a negative trait and "black" was a positive trait which were mutually exclusive. [ clarification needed ] [ 55 ] However, when his white Celtics teammate Frank Ramsey asked whether he hated him, Russell claimed to be misquoted, but few believed it. [ 55 ] Also, Taylor remarks that Russell overlooked that his career was only made possible by the white people who were proven anti-racists, namely his white high school coach George Powles (the person who encouraged him to play basketball), his white college coach Phil Woolpert (who integrated USF basketball), white Celtics coach Red Auerbach (who is universally regarded as an anti-racist pioneer and made him the first black NBA coach), and white Celtics owner Walter A. Brown , who gave him a high $24,000 rookie contract, just $1,000 shy of the top earning veteran Bob Cousy. [ 56 ] Nevertheless, as a result of repeated racial bigotry, Russell refused to respond to fan acclaim or friendship from his neighbors, thinking it was insincere and hypocritical. He decided that the world had given him nothing, so in return, he could give the world nothing. This attitude contributed to his legendary bad rapport with fans and journalists. [ 27 ] He alienated the Boston Celtics fans by saying, "You owe the public the same it owes you, nothing! I refuse to smile and be nice to the kiddies." [ 55 ] This supported the opinion that Russell (who was the highest paid Celtic) was egotistical, paranoid and hypocritical, and even the FBI described Russell in his file as "an arrogant Negro who won't sign autographs for white children". [ 55 ] The already hostile atmosphere between Russell and Boston hit its nadir when vandals broke into his house, covered the walls with racist graffiti, damaged his trophies and defecated into the beds. [ 55 ] In response, Russell described Boston as a "flea market of racism ". [ 79 ] After his retirement, he described the Boston press as corrupt and racist; in response, Boston sports journalist Larry Claflin claimed that Russell himself was the real racist. [ 80 ] Despite his refusal to sign autographs, he accepted a $250,000 contract to sign 5,000 pieces of memorabilia. [ 81 ] Russell, who invariably saw himself as a victim of the media , was present neither when his Number 6 jersey was retired in 1972, nor when he was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1975, shunning the limelight both times. [ 53 ] Despite the bitterness that Russell felt toward Boston, in recent years he has visited the city on a regular basis, something he never did in the years immediately after his retirement. [ 82 ] Russell still has sore feelings towards the city, but there has been something of a reconciliation in recent years. [ 82 ] When Russell originally retired, he demanded that his jersey be retired in an empty Boston Garden . [ 83 ] In 1995, the Celtics left Boston Garden and entered the FleetCenter , now the TD Garden, and as the main festive act, the Boston organization wanted to re-retire Russell's jersey in front of a sellout audience. [ 56 ] Perennially wary of the "racist" city of Boston, Russell decided to make amends and gave his approval. On May 6, 1999 the Celtics re-retired Russell's jersey in a ceremony attended by Russell's on-court rival Chamberlain, along with Celtics legend Larry Bird and Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. The crowd gave Russell a prolonged standing ovation, which brought tears to his eyes. [ 83 ] Russell was visibly shaken at this outpour of adoration. He thanked Chamberlain for taking him to the limit and "making [him] a better player" and the crowd for "allowing [him] to be a part of their lives." [ 56 ] On December 2, 2008, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino and The Mayor's Office of New Bostonians awarded Russell the 2008 We Are Boston Leadership Awards. Russell, who according to the mayor flew a "red-eye flight" to be there, attended the annual event with his daughter. He was visibly grateful and shared anecdotes of racial bigotry when he first came to Boston as a player and bought a home in Reading, Massachusetts. Russell congratulated the mayor on wanting to be a "mayor for all of Boston" and commented that it was a city that truly changed.
    Posted by dirty52

Reads like he would have problems playing anywhere!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcceltics. Show jcceltics's posts

In Response to Re: Trolls : If having a coaching record of 272-138 (.663) is an instant failure, then what do you call Doc Rivers' 507-406 (.555), an utter catastrophe?  Mike Brown even has a better playoff record!! If you bother to read up on the NBA, the Cavs fired Brown with the hope of retaining LeBron James, the guy this board loves to demonize.  I don't know why I waste my time doing research for a lame, know-nothing poster like yourself.  It's like conversing with a 12-year old.  By the way, Brown is also a Coach of the Year winner.  You knew that, right?
    Posted by icnd

Can you research who's has a better finals record as a head coach for me too.  Ok so "the Cavs fired Brown with the hope of retaining LeBron James", and Kobe refuses to speak of the hiring because he's so pissed off. All i'm saying is that it was a bad hire.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

" I really get a kick out of the Celtic fans on this forum that call Laker fans and anyone else who might disagree with them "Trolls"." The reason you are trolls is because this is not your forum. It is a Celtics forum. I never visit Laker forums and talk smack. If I did, I would be a troll as well.  The definition of what a troll is on the Internet is widely established, contrary to your myopic idea it's not something that was invented here by Celts fans. You might want to study up on it sometime instead of wasting your time here.  Because it's a Celtics forum, Celtics fans are cut more slack though we do have our own trolls, posters who are negative or who are clearly here just to get a reaction as you are.  There is such a thing as intelligent basketball conversation between rival teams in another fans forum. We have several Yankee fans in the Sox forum who are not trolls. There are disagreements but there is always mutual respect. Whereas all the Laker trolls in this forum are here to mock the Celtics and diminish their accomplishments, which is ultimately ironic as by putting down your rivals you are minimizing your own team's greatness as well. But I wouldn't expect you to understand that. After all, you're a troll, here to make fun of the Celtics and their fans.  If I ran this forum, you wouldn't be here, but I don't, and so you are. I have you on ignore so you'll have to figure the rest out on your own.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

You have it backwards, this board is infested with Laker haters and instigate Laker fans who come as friendly rivals who then give back what you give out. This board is a public board. It is no more a Celtic board than the New England Patriots are a Boston team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

In Response to Re: Trolls : You have it backwards, this board is infested with Laker haters and instigate Laker fans who come as friendly rivals who then give back what you give out. This board is a public board. It is no more a Celtic board than the New England Patriots are a Boston team.
    Posted by lakersavenger

You are such a hypocrite! Your post below is your way of being friendly?

"One of my great joys in life is seeing Boston get tantalyzingly close to a title of any kind and see it wither away at the last moment."

Another Boston game 7 collapse just hours away...

posted at 6/15/2011 11:24 AM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=f2794b1580cdb88590b781a2ba13f2ce&plckUserId=f2794b1580cdb88590b781a2ba13f2ce">
    First: 4/22/2011
    Last: 6/20/2011
    One of my great joys in life is seeing Boston get tantalyzingly close to a title of any kind and see it wither away at the last moment. Tonight I will be enjoying my Scotch as I celebrate another Boston game 7 finals loss 2 years in a row. Hey, after tonight, you call all say you got back-to-backs. We can call it a rebeat.

MUHOOHAHAHAHAHA!

TONIGHT YOU GONNA GET CANUCKED

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

I never realized the strong response that I would get from this post, but I see that most Celtic fans are still living with hatred. You all validate my Bill Russell fact. The next time that I visit Boston, I am going to have to be on the lookout for white robes and hooded Celtic fans. Such a sad and pathetic thing for the 21st century.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Trolls : You have it backwards, this board is infested with Laker haters and instigate Laker fans who come as friendly rivals who then give back what you give out. This board is a public board. It is no more a Celtic board than the New England Patriots are a Boston team.
    Posted by lakersavenger

Sorry avenger.... This is a Celtic board but it is open to the public. Beyond that, you are  mostly correct.

The unfriendliness with which others with differing POVs are treated and received here is real.... and they simply return and amplify the negativity in kind.

I am much less concerned about the "trolls' than I am about the self-deputized cyberbullies who try to enforce Celtic orthodoxy by telling us what we should believe, who we should read/ignore and what we dare post.

Diversity of thought and expression are not well received here....Sorry to say.

Nothing much that the bullies can do though... except to put you on ignore... or so they claim.

It helps to have thick skin. Russell certainly did.

Pud

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Posted by lakersavenger

HA HA HA  - that is so not true!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosportfan. Show bosportfan's posts

In Response to Re: Trolls : Taken from Wiki   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Russell Racist abuse, controversy and reconciliation Russell's life was marked by an uphill battle against racism and controversial actions and statements in response to perceived racism. As a child, the young Russell witnessed how his parents were victims of racial abuse, and eventually moved into housing projects to escape the daily torrent of bigotry. [ 3 ] When he later became a standout amateur basketball player at USF, Russell recalled how he and his few fellow African American colleagues were jeered by white students. [ 11 ] Even after he became a star on the Boston Celtics, Russell was the victim of racial abuse. When the NBA All-Stars toured the U.S. in the 1958 offseason, white hotel owners in segregated North Carolina denied rooms to Russell and his black teammates, causing him to later write in his memoir Go Up for Glory , "It stood out, a wall which understanding cannot penetrate. You are a Negro. You are less. It covered every area. A living, smarting, hurting, smelling, greasy substance which covered you. A morass to fight from." [ 27 ] Before the 1961–62 season, Russell refused to play in an exhibition game in Lexington , Kentucky when he and his black teammates were refused service at a local restaurant. [ 53 ] As a consequence, Russell was extremely sensitive to all racial prejudice: according to Taylor, he often perceived insults even if others did not. [ 17 ] He was active in the Black Power movement and supported Muhammad Ali 's decision to refuse to be drafted. [ 78 ] He was often called "Felton X," a mockery of the Nation of Islam's tradition of replacing a European slave name with an "X," and even purchased land in Liberia. [ 55 ] Russell's public statements became increasingly militant, so far that he was quoted in a 1963 Sports Illustrated interview with the words: "I dislike most white people because they are people... I like most blacks because I am black", expressing that "human" was a negative trait and "black" was a positive trait which were mutually exclusive. [ clarification needed ] [ 55 ] However, when his white Celtics teammate Frank Ramsey asked whether he hated him, Russell claimed to be misquoted, but few believed it. [ 55 ] Also, Taylor remarks that Russell overlooked that his career was only made possible by the white people who were proven anti-racists, namely his white high school coach George Powles (the person who encouraged him to play basketball), his white college coach Phil Woolpert (who integrated USF basketball), white Celtics coach Red Auerbach (who is universally regarded as an anti-racist pioneer and made him the first black NBA coach), and white Celtics owner Walter A. Brown , who gave him a high $24,000 rookie contract, just $1,000 shy of the top earning veteran Bob Cousy. [ 56 ] Nevertheless, as a result of repeated racial bigotry, Russell refused to respond to fan acclaim or friendship from his neighbors, thinking it was insincere and hypocritical. He decided that the world had given him nothing, so in return, he could give the world nothing. This attitude contributed to his legendary bad rapport with fans and journalists. [ 27 ] He alienated the Boston Celtics fans by saying, "You owe the public the same it owes you, nothing! I refuse to smile and be nice to the kiddies." [ 55 ] This supported the opinion that Russell (who was the highest paid Celtic) was egotistical, paranoid and hypocritical, and even the FBI described Russell in his file as "an arrogant Negro who won't sign autographs for white children". [ 55 ] The already hostile atmosphere between Russell and Boston hit its nadir when vandals broke into his house, covered the walls with racist graffiti, damaged his trophies and defecated into the beds. [ 55 ] In response, Russell described Boston as a "flea market of racism ". [ 79 ] After his retirement, he described the Boston press as corrupt and racist; in response, Boston sports journalist Larry Claflin claimed that Russell himself was the real racist. [ 80 ] Despite his refusal to sign autographs, he accepted a $250,000 contract to sign 5,000 pieces of memorabilia. [ 81 ] Russell, who invariably saw himself as a victim of the media , was present neither when his Number 6 jersey was retired in 1972, nor when he was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1975, shunning the limelight both times. [ 53 ] Despite the bitterness that Russell felt toward Boston, in recent years he has visited the city on a regular basis, something he never did in the years immediately after his retirement. [ 82 ] Russell still has sore feelings towards the city, but there has been something of a reconciliation in recent years. [ 82 ] When Russell originally retired, he demanded that his jersey be retired in an empty Boston Garden . [ 83 ] In 1995, the Celtics left Boston Garden and entered the FleetCenter , now the TD Garden, and as the main festive act, the Boston organization wanted to re-retire Russell's jersey in front of a sellout audience. [ 56 ] Perennially wary of the "racist" city of Boston, Russell decided to make amends and gave his approval. On May 6, 1999 the Celtics re-retired Russell's jersey in a ceremony attended by Russell's on-court rival Chamberlain, along with Celtics legend Larry Bird and Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. The crowd gave Russell a prolonged standing ovation, which brought tears to his eyes. [ 83 ] Russell was visibly shaken at this outpour of adoration. He thanked Chamberlain for taking him to the limit and "making [him] a better player" and the crowd for "allowing [him] to be a part of their lives." [ 56 ] On December 2, 2008, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino and The Mayor's Office of New Bostonians awarded Russell the 2008 We Are Boston Leadership Awards. Russell, who according to the mayor flew a "red-eye flight" to be there, attended the annual event with his daughter. He was visibly grateful and shared anecdotes of racial bigotry when he first came to Boston as a player and bought a home in Reading, Massachusetts. Russell congratulated the mayor on wanting to be a "mayor for all of Boston" and commented that it was a city that truly changed.
    Posted by dirty52

Here you go little trolls Rodney got this beat down in 1991 in LA i can only imagine how russell would have faired? Muhaaaaaaaaaaaa...... You can find the whole story on wiki have fun sweet dreams trolls......

Rodney Glen King (born April 2, 1965) is an American best known for his involvement in a police brutality case involving the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) on March 3, 1991. A bystander, George Holliday, videotaped much of the incident from a distance.

The footage showed LAPD officers repeatedly striking King with their batons while other officers stood by watching, without taking any action to stop the beating. A portion of this footage was aired by news agencies around the world, causing public outrage that raised tensions between the black community and the LAPD and increased anger over police brutality and social inequalities in Los Angeles.

Four LAPD officers were later tried in a state court for the beating; three were acquitted and the jury failed to reach a verdict for the fourth. The announcement of the acquittals sparked the 1992 Los Angeles riots. A later federal trial for civil rights violations ended with two of the officers found guilty and sent to prison and the other two officers acquitted.

Sections
Shortcuts