Troy Murphy and Clipps 1st rounder

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: Troy Murphy and Clipps 1st rounder

In Response to Re: Troy Murphy and Clipps 1st rounder:
    I'll never get the fascination some of you have with Murphy.  Let's see - on a terrible team he can't get minutes, shoots 34% from the field, can't get rebounds anymore, and is slow on D.   That's the guy we want, huh?
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Celtsfan4life, Murphy has been a walking double-double on a terrible team.  I would put my money on him being a contributor now on a very good team.  If he goes 9 pts and 6 rebs per game for the Celtics, it's worth it.  I look at this move as a replacement for Luke more than for Semih.  I think Troy's contribution will be much more than either Luke or Semih so I think it's a good move.

I think Rip would be a great pickup for the Celtics and he's been riding the bench for most of the season.  Why a player is not playing is not always an indictment of that player's skillset (see Nate Robinson last year).  Murphy was never in the Nets plans with Favors and Humphries, NEVER.  So riding the bench in NJ has nothing to do with his skills.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Murphy would be a freebie and 4th or 5th on the depth chart at 4.  If we need to use him a lot, then it is most likely over for the Celtics.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micksoxx. Show Micksoxx's posts

So are we getting Troy Murphy or not?  The fact that I feel we do need to get him to salvage this day ain't exactly giving me goose bumps...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I cannot understand what the problem is with Murphy.  We did not trade for him.  If he eventually gets bought out and comes to Boston, we would not have given up anything for him.  Murphy should not be looked at as any kind of replacement for anybody we lost today.  Murphy would fit in as the 3rd PF and I think that's an upgrade at that position.

If he gives us 15 quality minutes especially as we wind down the season, I'll take that from the 3rd PF spot.

I think we should also realize the Celtics are not done yet.  We lost our post anchor over the past few years.  But once Shaq gets back and Kristic (much better offensively) gets integrated and we make another move (from a buyout), I think we'll be ok.

Perk is a big loss but it definitely can be overcome.  I honestly believe nobody else that we lost today is that important to banner #18.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I agree Petey. If we get Murphy we're MUCH stronger. Murphy gives you the size and range that Sheed provided. We gave up 1 starter and 4 backups (Semih, Quis, Luke, Nate) for 2 starters (Green and Krstic), got a #1, 2nd and could still land Murphy.

Ainge is the man!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I am not so sure about this.  The Celtics cannot get Murphy unless he already knows he will be bought out.  But we cannot get him in a trade along with the Clips 1st round draft pick because the salaries don't match and the trade deadline has passed.  We don't have an $11 million salaried player to trade TO the Clippers. So, we can only get Murphy is he's bought out and we definitely could not get him packaged with a 1st round draft pick. I doubt that he's officially been bought out.  I think there is speculation that "if he's bought out" he may want to come to Boston.  If that is the case, then I'm all for that.  Bring him on but that is definitely not a "done deal" right now.
    Posted by Petey62

I am sure Danny has a plan in place.  May not turn out exactly as he wants but probably a contingency plan as well.  We do have a player in the D league that is playing well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbrr7. Show paulbrr7's posts

I agree Petey. If we get Murphy we're MUCH stronger. Murphy gives you the size and range that Sheed provided. We gave up 1 starter and 4 backups (Semih, Quis, Luke, Nate) for 2 starters (Green and Krstic), got a #1, 2nd and could still land Murphy. Ainge is the man!!
    Posted by BiasLewis

Semi, Luke and Q didn't bring you Green and Krstic, and it would have taken just one of them (Q)to sign Murphy. So the question is who will Danny bring in for Semi and Luke?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Troy Murphy and Clipps 1st rounder : Semi, Luke and Q didn't bring you Green and Krstic, and it would have taken just one of them (Q)to sign Murphy. So the question is who will Danny bring in for Semi and Luke?
    Posted by paulbrr7

We will know in a few days.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I cannot understand what the problem is with Murphy.  We did not trade for him.  If he eventually gets bought out and comes to Boston, we would not have given up anything for him.  Murphy should not be looked at as any kind of replacement for anybody we lost today.  Murphy would fit in as the 3rd PF and I think that's an upgrade at that position. If he gives us 15 quality minutes especially as we wind down the season, I'll take that from the 3rd PF spot. I think we should also realize the Celtics are not done yet.  We lost our post anchor over the past few years.  But once Shaq gets back and Kristic (much better offensively) gets integrated and we make another move (from a buyout), I think we'll be ok. Perk is a big loss but it definitely can be overcome.  I honestly believe nobody else that we lost today is that important to banner #18.
    Posted by Petey62

Petey - here's the problem with Murphy.  He's 31 years old and did not age well.  He was an ok player at one time (never good) and is now averaging 34% field goal percentage; 17% from 3 point land, 52% Free throw percentage, 4 rebounds, no blocks (0.1 bpb!!!), is slow and not strong enough to guard anyone who's posting up.  There's basically NO VALUE there.  Too many people are remembering what he USED to be and if he were 27, I'd say ok, maybe he can get it back.  At 31, he's slower and jumps less for a guy who was ALWAYS SLOW AND COULDN'T JUMP.   I was a huge Big East fan and had great seats.  I saw him play all the time.  He was a jump shooter but never fast nor strong.  Now he's lost that.  WHERE's THE VALUE?

I agree with your other comments. I'll miss Perk's rebounding and his great D.  Shaq and Krstic can't replace that!  But, they'll be better offensive players and have fewer turnovers and they likely won't get 2 fouls per game on illegal picks. 

And yes, Danny's not done.  I expect one more pickup.  I just hope its not Murphy as he won't help us where we need it most - DEFENSE.  That's what we lost.  We now have enough offense so why would we want a 6'11" guy who provides no defense, no rebounding, and questionable offense?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Murphy, TJ ford, and maybe Sheed!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

I cannot understand what the problem is with Murphy.  We did not trade for him.  If he eventually gets bought out and comes to Boston, we would not have given up anything for him.  Murphy should not be looked at as any kind of replacement for anybody we lost today.  Murphy would fit in as the 3rd PF and I think that's an upgrade at that position. If he gives us 15 quality minutes especially as we wind down the season, I'll take that from the 3rd PF spot. I think we should also realize the Celtics are not done yet.  We lost our post anchor over the past few years.  But once Shaq gets back and Kristic (much better offensively) gets integrated and we make another move (from a buyout), I think we'll be ok. Perk is a big loss but it definitely can be overcome.  I honestly believe nobody else that we lost today is that important to banner #18.
    Posted by Petey62

I agree that Perk is a big loss because we lose defense, some toughness and our edge against the top teams. So if Murphy comes here and offers us what Sheed provided last year, then how have we upgraded our team from the roster we rolled out for game 7 of last year's NBA Finals?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In Response to Re: Troy Murphy and Clipps 1st rounder : Petey - here's the problem with Murphy.  He's 31 years old and did not age well.  He was an ok player at one time (never good) and is now averaging 34% field goal percentage; 17% from 3 point land, 52% Free throw percentage, 4 rebounds, no blocks (0.1 bpb!!!), is slow and not strong enough to guard anyone who's posting up.  There's basically NO VALUE there.  At 31, he's slower and jumps less for a guy who was ALWAYS SLOW AND COULDN'T JUMP.  
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

You are distorting figures from this season which has been limited due to injuries.  Murphy has been up to this year a double double machine before he got hurt.  He was in the top 10 of PF in rebounding rate (not bad for a slow guy who can't jump) and is capable of playing up to 20+min if needed and get us 9pts and 6 rbs.  He can't play D and that is a given, but all considered, this is a great pick up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

In Response to Re: Troy Murphy and Clipps 1st rounder : Petey - here's the problem with Murphy.  He's 31 years old and did not age well.  He was an ok player at one time (never good) and is now averaging 34% field goal percentage; 17% from 3 point land, 52% Free throw percentage, 4 rebounds, no blocks (0.1 bpb!!!), is slow and not strong enough to guard anyone who's posting up.  There's basically NO VALUE there.  Too many people are remembering what he USED to be and if he were 27, I'd say ok, maybe he can get it back.  At 31, he's slower and jumps less for a guy who was ALWAYS SLOW AND COULDN'T JUMP.   I was a huge Big East fan and had great seats.  I saw him play all the time.  He was a jump shooter but never fast nor strong.  Now he's lost that.  WHERE's THE VALUE? I agree with your other comments. I'll miss Perk's rebounding and his great D.  Shaq and Krstic can't replace that!  But, they'll be better offensive players and have fewer turnovers and they likely won't get 2 fouls per game on illegal picks.  And yes, Danny's not done.  I expect one more pickup.  I just hope its not Murphy as he won't help us where we need it most - DEFENSE.  That's what we lost.  We now have enough offense so why would we want a 6'11" guy who provides no defense, no rebounding, and questionable offense?
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Eldunker voiced my sentiments.  Murphy has played in only 17 or so games this season.  He's averaged a double-double for the past two seasons.  So you tell me, what is a better indicator, 17 games this season or his production over the past two full seasons?

Again, we're not giving up anything if Murphy comes here after getting bought out.  We haven't given up anything.  And I bet he can give us more than what our 3rd team PF is currently giving us (or WAS).

Sections
Shortcuts