Troy Murphy thoughts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Troy Murphy thoughts

What happened in NJ? I liked this guy the whole time he was in Indiana, but he gets a FA deal in NJ, gets hurt preseason, and never gets on the floor? Maybe he got his money and got lazy, maybe h eslept with the coach's daughter...who knows. Bizarre situation. I know he was useless in Boston, but he was destined to fail. Coming to a team that late in the season, at a position that Doc needed to figure out what he had in 4 different guys. No practice time, no playing time, no chance to get acclimated or do anything. Now, he looked awful on the floor, but he's shown enough over his career of being a solid double-double guy that, if the money's right, I want him back for preseason. If he reverts back to his Indiana days, center problem solved in the immediate future.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Troy Murphy thoughts

problem is that Murphy is not a center. as a PF, his D is invisible, and he has zero presence protecting the rim. really poor athletically, making him simply a spot up shooter, albeit a good one.
    I could see Murphy back assuming Baby leaves, and Murphy is agreeable $$ wise, meaning KG and Murphy are splitting time at PF. C's wold also have to get a defensively inclined C to protect the rim.
    Bringing the current team back sans Baby and Shaq, and adding some one such as Dalembert, imo makes this C's team a contender for the title next year, assuming health;
    KG
    PP
    Ray
    Rondo
    Dalembert
    Green
    Kristic
    JON
    West
    Murphy
    Wafer
    Bradley

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

He didn't play basketball for an extended period of time and it really showed.

If he comes back for cheap which I expect then might as well bring him in and see if he can improve his offensive side and play better on D. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

One thing about Murphy is the guy can rebound.  I really don't know what happened last year but if he could be had on the cheap then there isn't a reason not to see if he can get his game back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kccorwin. Show kccorwin's posts

If not maybe we can sign him to a one year deal and use him as an expiring contract for a team that needs to shed salary.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Training camp is everything.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

He was not in basketball shape and never really got to show his worth.  I'd bring him back, as someone else said he can rebound and he can hit the outside shot. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: Troy Murphy thoughts:
    [QUOTE]One thing about Murphy is the guy can rebound.  I really don't know what happened last year but if he could be had on the cheap then there isn't a reason not to see if he can get his game back.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

You are exactly right.  He would help make us a deep team.  He can still play some.  Watching Dallas they just kept bringing in players that contributed.  Troy goes to another team like Miami etc I guarantee we will be saying around  here,  "why on earth did Danny let him go. Stupid.  Fire Ainge, fire Doc" 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

I doubt he will want to comeback after playing almost 0 minutes per game..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Troy Murphy thoughts : The Celtics would be gambling if they get rid of Big Baby...  this kid ate a ton of quality minutes for us...  
    Posted by ShepherdCall[/QUOTE]

They want him back, but they can't overpay. Also, baby wants to be a starter. Not happening here for a while.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I don't know why they would want the guy at all unless he is REALLY cheap (ie. minimum salary for the minimum period).

We debated on this Board the merits of Troy Murphy when the buyouts were happening this year.  I may be the contrarian on this but I thought then and I think now that this guy is slow afoot offensively and defensively, can't get his own shot, and doesn't help this team.  He's simply more of what we DON'T need and I'd rather have a younger guy with less experience, but more athleticism and speed who we can teach more of the game.  We have old legs, slow can't jump guys in Shaq, JON, Krstic, and even KG as we saw.   Why in the world would be need Murphy????  We need more Jeff Green players - young and athletic.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Troy Murphy thoughts : You are exactly right.  He would help make us a deep team.  He can still play some.  Watching Dallas they just kept bringing in players that contributed.  Troy goes to another team like Miami etc I guarantee we will be saying around  here,  "why on earth did Danny let him go. Stupid.  Fire Ainge, fire Doc" 
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because Murphy is the next savior to a number of teams, just like Shaq was the savior to you guys this past offseason. Tongue out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know why they would want the guy at all unless he is REALLY cheap (ie. minimum salary for the minimum period). We debated on this Board the merits of Troy Murphy when the buyouts were happening this year.  I may be the contrarian on this but I thought then and I think now that this guy is slow afoot offensively and defensively, can't get his own shot, and doesn't help this team.  He's simply more of what we DON'T need and I'd rather have a younger guy with less experience, but more athleticism and speed who we can teach more of the game.  We have old legs, slow can't jump guys in Shaq, JON, Krstic, and even KG as we saw.   Why in the world would be need Murphy????  We need more Jeff Green players - young and athletic.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]
    Celtics do not need more Jeff Green type players. PP is slow afoot. So was Bird. Gerald Greene was young and athletic. Celts would have been in much better shape if they were able to convince OKC to send over Harden rather than Green.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Troy Murphy thoughts : Yeah, because Murphy is the next savior to a number of teams, just like Shaq was the savior to you guys this past offseason.
    Posted by Tayshawn[/QUOTE]

How'd joe smith work out for you? Sweeeeeeeeeeeep!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Troy Murphy thoughts : Celtics do not need more Jeff Green type players. PP is slow afoot. So was Bird. Gerald Greene was young and athletic. Celts would have been in much better shape if they were able to convince OKC to send over Harden rather than Green.  
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Excellent post. What we need are rebounders. Murph can rebound. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Murph was a statistical rebounder.

You play the minutes he played on run and gun teams, all you have to be is solid to get double digit boards.

I don't think he's as good a rebounder as Reggie Evans who does not have the stats to show he's better at it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

He's a bum!!!!!!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Troy Murphy thoughts : Yeah, because Murphy is the next savior to a number of teams, just like Shaq was the savior to you guys this past offseason.
    Posted by Tayshawn[/QUOTE]

I thought Joe Smith, Ratliff, Barnes and Blake were the saviors?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]Murph was a statistical rebounder. You play the minutes he played on run and gun teams, all you have to be is solid to get double digit boards. I don't think he's as good a rebounder as Reggie Evans who does not have the stats to show he's better at it.
    Posted by DaCeltics[/QUOTE]

I don't see how you can say that. This last season with us, Murphy averaged 3.2 rebounds a game in 13 minutes which would break out to about 7.5 rebounds in 30 minutes play. 

Compare that to baby who averaged 5.4 rebounds a game in 30 minutes or Jermaine O'Neil (who plays great defense dont get me wrong) who averaged around 6.3 rebounds per 30 minutes played. There are arguments against murphy, but his rebounding isn't one of them Even as bad as he played this last year. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]Murph was a statistical rebounder. You play the minutes he played on run and gun teams, all you have to be is solid to get double digit boards. I don't think he's as good a rebounder as Reggie Evans who does not have the stats to show he's better at it.
    Posted by DaCeltics[/QUOTE]

You have that picture and that's your thinking?

Only one thing leads to rebounds; effort.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Get rid of Baby.

Muprh at vet minimum and our 1st rd pick (say Jordan Williams of Maryland) can do better for 3 million bucks.

Baby will want 5-7 million per year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Troy Murphy thoughts : Celtics do not need more Jeff Green type players. PP is slow afoot. So was Bird. Gerald Greene was young and athletic. Celts would have been in much better shape if they were able to convince OKC to send over Harden rather than Green.  
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

You cannot compare Pierce and Murphy.  Pierce can go to the hole and has a quick step.  Murphy can't do that.   There's no way Murphy can keep up with ANYONE on the Heat.  If your argument is that we need rebounding, I'd rather have kept perk than have murphy.

What is it with the love for Murphy?  Is there something about a guy who can't/hasn't/won't deliver that makes you love him when people like BBD or others who've done more and actually delivered are hated?

Hmmmm, I wonder why?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Get rid of Baby. Muprh at vet minimum and our 1st rd pick (say Jordan Williams of Maryland) can do better for 3 million bucks. Baby will want 5-7 million per year.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

You want results or you want to save money?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Here's the guy you're advocating we use to help solve the problem of the C's being too old and slow when compared to the Bulls and Heat:

2010/2011 with 2 different teams:

32 yrs old by next season
    36% field goal %
    15% 3 point shooting
    67% Free Throw shooting
    3.2 rebounds
    0.7 assists
    o.1 blocks per game
    3.1 points per game

I don't get the excitement about someone like that.   He's AWFUL and only getting OLDER!!!!!   This is not what we need to play with Rondo.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Troy Murphy thoughts : You want results or you want to save money?
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

i want to sign and trade Baby and Krstic (with at least 1 pick prob needed) for Chris Kaman or Nene.

Then I want to draft Jordan Williams, a 6'10 bruiser who got 11 boards a game in 32 mins at Maryland.

Then I want Murphy at the vet min as insurance if Williams ISn't ready for 8-12 minutes.

Either way we get WAY BETTER than if we have Baby and Krstic taking up space/mins and failing to get boards and draft a wing.

The $ doesn't matter much to me. THE RESULTS DO

Sections
Shortcuts