Troy Murphy thoughts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Re: Troy Murphy thoughts

Well, Rameakap, I like your dream.  Its not going to happen but I agree with you on the moves you'd propose......except for the Murphy thing.  I've shown you with stats backing me up why I don't like the guy.  Can you help me understand why you like him?  Please don't say what he's capable of based on 2 or 3 years ago.  Please be fact based on what he's doing now, when he's older and clearly slower and can't shoot.   

I love Jordan Williams.  I love Nene (although you won't get Denver's center).  But, please please please show me ANY sign that Murphy is worth ANY minutes at all.   Please show me why you think a guy who can't beat out any Nets big man, any Celtics big man, unloaded by Indiana because they had McRoberts, Hansborough, Hibbert, and Foster.  So, that's 3 coaches and GM's on 3 teams that had him at the bottom of their list over 2 seasons.   So, why do you want him?   Explain please with some facts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bramrok. Show bramrok's posts

murphy is a bum; once he got his money, he did not mind getting out of basketball shape. he is now pathetic and useless; what a ridiculous guy to get on the team; he is another example of how foolish our gm is

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'd rather pay Murph 1.4 million to HOPE that he gets in shape and becomes something of the guy he was 2-3 years ago, in the garbage time mins he'd get here

than have a 2nd rd pick like Harangody being our 13th man

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

OK, I see your thinking.  Still don't agree with it at all but I see where you're going.  If you're going to pay a bum, however, for the minimum, I can think of better guys to try.  Heck, I'd try a big man from the D league rather than Murphy...at least he's young and quick and MIGHT have some future.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

ok, I agree with where you are going then, I'd think MAYBE Murph has the savvy to leanr the system and hit a clutch 3 or grab a few boards here and there for 1.4 million

You saw a washed up player b/c he didn't break into our rotation the 2 months he was here and would rather roll the dice

either way... its a risk and if the choice Danny makes doesn't work we'd assume the other choice would have been better

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

He was hopelessly out of shape and couldn't play at all.

He'd have to come to camp and prove it before I'd invest a nickel.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rman0909. Show rman0909's posts

Give Murph a chance.

he's a white dude that the celtics needs who can rebound.Laughing

if he is cheap then I would give him a chance.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I think when you look at what Murphy's role will be, you cannot argue that he would be a good 3rd PF providing 15 minutes max per game (probably less).  I also believe that when you consider the options across the league (for a 3rd PF role) and that he can provide valuable minutes, you have to give him a chance because there just isn't much out there.

I think more than anything, it will be critical for Doc to abandon his stubborness and play these guys.  Doc has got to play Ray, KG and PP fewer minutes and it's got to start early in the season and continue throughout.  Doc has to put backups in and let them make mistakes until they get it right.  It won't matter much who's on the roster if Doc does not properly manage and develop the players on the team.

If Murphy gets a training camp under his belt and gets comfortable in his minutes, I know he would be a contributor on this team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Re: Troy Murphy thoughts:
    [QUOTE]Here's the guy you're advocating we use to help solve the problem of the C's being too old and slow when compared to the Bulls and Heat: 2010/2011 with 2 different teams: 32 yrs old by next season 36% field goal % 15% 3 point shooting 67% Free Throw shooting 3.2 rebounds 0.7 assists o.1 blocks per game 3.1 points per game I don't get the excitement about someone like that.   He's AWFUL and only getting OLDER!!!!!   This is not what we need to play with Rondo.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

The problem wasn't just speed, rebounding was huge. We were killed with second chance points.

As for Murphy's stats, those 3.2 rebounds were in 13 minutes a game. Play him 30 minutes a game (Baby's minutes) and that rebounding rate translates to 7.5 rebounds a game. compared to 5.4 from baby. baby plays better defense (when he is motivated) but he also is a worse shooter. Statistically, baby was worse than Rondo from the midrange.

Yes Murphy only shot 15% from three this season but he was out for the most of the year and his short minutes didn't help him get into a rhythm. The year before this season, his three point shooting was close to 40%. Murphy can spread the floor and force an opposing center/power forward to guard him on the perimeter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JREwing. Show JREwing's posts

Murphy gets a one way bus ticket out of Boston. Ainge gets a one way ticket back to Salt Lake City or Provo Utah-Baby gets a one way ticket to the Bayou country with a 30 min. stop at the nearest Golden Corral!