Troy Murphy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Troy Murphy?

In Response to Re: Troy Murphy?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Troy Murphy? : rkarp, maybe you misread my post but I was not suggesting the Celtics could trade for Murphy.  I indicated that it would best for NJ to trade him to "someone" since he has an $11.9 million expiring contract.  I agree that is valuable but I said that in my post -- guess you missed that! Now here is a thought -- if I (a team GM) know Murphy will not be in NJ's plans, why would I trade for him as opposed to waiting until after the trade deadline in hopes that NJ buys him out, which is highly likely?  Once NJ buys him out, I could then swoop in and offer him the veteran's minimum.  That way I would not have to give up a player (or players) at that salary who I do not have right now and I would probably have to pay the veteran's minimum of about $1.4 million rather than $11.9 million (or the pro-rated value of his contract). Now, short of finding a trade partner, I believe the Nets will simply buy him out.  And I am aware they would not buy him out at $11.9 million. And there is no way the Nets would simply let him sit until the end of the season.  Another thought - if I (Nets GM) could buy him out at $7.5 or $8 million instead of paying him $11.9 million to have him sit, what is the best business approach?  So to suggest the Nets " would let the guy sit out and allow his contract to go off the books ", that would be the most ridiculous option of all. Please re-read my post and see if you understand then.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]
    I read your post as the Nets would trade Murphy. You said "the Nets should trade him to someone".
    A buy out would constitute a one lump payment where as allowing him to simply sit and have his contract run out spreads his payments over the remainder of the season.
    The Nets already ruined this guys rep, he may as well screw them and get every penny he is owed.
    Do you honestly see this guy, who has not played a single minute in almost 2 months coming in and helping the C's?
    As I said before, sit tight, who cares about the regular season, get healthy, get Wafer, West and Nate into a rotation and ready for the playoffs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

OneonOne and BiasLewis, good points.  The season being more than half over increases the likelihood of a buyout.  There is no way the Celtics would have a player to trade for Murphy so all we could do is hopefully wait for a buyout.  And that buyout is even more likely when you look at what Murphy has left for the season.  Murphy would want to play bad enough to take the buyout because he could make back some of the difference by signing with another team for the veteran's minimum.  I'm sure NJ wouldn't want to trade him and take on an equal salary and possibly more years.

So, if Murphy has $6 million of salary left and takes a $4 million buyout. He can then sign for the veteran's minimum (pro rated, of course) and make up some of that difference.

And why would NJ pay his entire $11.9 million salary for the year if they already know he won't be used.  I think NJ would rather pay him $8 or $9 million total salary this season rather than $11.9 to stay at home.  I'm sure he'd demand it and the union would as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Troy Murphy? : Bias How deep are they really though?  Shaq is "the big ?" at this point.  Erden is hurting and is a rook.  JON is no guarantee.  Perk, BBD and KG are the only locks I see at the 4-5.  Not saying that Murphy is the answer. but if JON and Daniels are out there are two roster spots available potentially.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

Your points are well known and I've said the same thing numerous times. The problem is CONVINCING Murphy of that. Now what could be going on here is that the C's are "fattening frogs for snakes". Meaning they are keeping guys out, exaggerating injuries so when players are bought out they can make that a selling point "hey we're beat up and we need you, you'd be the perfect guy to come in and help us".

Guys want minutes and they want a chance to win.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Troy Murphy? : Is this one of the 3 stooges? Or is it Danny Ainge? The part I don't get is you are not thinking! Pls don't post such non sense, Curley Howard, as you clearly have nothing to do but throw out any name onto this board with no thought
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked, this thread was about Troy Murphy.  Clearly you think some of us want to trade for the guy.  We cannot do that since salaries don't match....we are waiting for him to be released, which has been widely speculated since he was traded to NJ (or perhaps you missed that).

Further, you seem to not comprehend that we are just throwing names out there and finding out what others think.  I personally don't care if we get Murphy, or Battier or Posey............I trust Danny will make the right move to get us through this year.

Lastly, Danny has SAID he is pursuing trades. As I mentioned in another thread, some of us think it is fun to play GM - it's free and we get to match wits with our fellow Celtics fans!!  Don't like it?  Think it's dumb?  Then don't post on these threads.  Your lack of comprehension of this simple concept is mind boggling and you don't know nearly as much about basketball as you think.

Keep the insults coming, though.  The sure sign of the defeated!! 
    My two favorite Stooges episodes are:
    the Maja (aha) one and the plumbing one (this house has sure gone crazy).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Troy Murphy? : I read your post as the Nets would trade Murphy. You said "the Nets should trade him to someone". A buy out would constitute a one lump payment where as allowing him to simply sit and have his contract run out spreads his payments over the remainder of the season. The Nets already ruined this guys rep, he may as well screw them and get every penny he is owed. Do you honestly see this guy, who has not played a single minute in almost 2 months coming in and helping the C's? As I said before, sit tight, who cares about the regular season, get healthy, get Wafer, West and Nate into a rotation and ready for the playoffs.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]
    I think he's a valuable trade chip for another team, having an $11.9 million expiring contract.  I think another team would love to receive him in a trade-not the Celtics.  However, I believe the Nets want to position themselves for next season or for bringing in Melo if they can.  Since the season is more than half over, let's say they owe Murphy $6 million in remaining salary.  Why not just pay him $4 million and let him move on?  They save $2 million!  Why pay him the entirety of his salary if you have no plans to use him?  There is no value whatsoever for the Nets to keep him for the entire season and end up paying $11.9 million.

I doubt that he would "screw" the Nets just to get his entire salary.  The guy is 30 years old and he wants to play and play now.  He's averaged a double-double in points-rebounds the past two years so it's obvious he can still play.

Keep in mind that last season Nate sat for almost a whole month before re-joining the Knicks lineup afterwhich the Celtics traded for him.  Bottom line, the Nets never had any intention of using the guy although he was included in a trade.  That happens all the time.

I do believe he can come in and help us out.  Many here believe Sheed can come in and contribute because it's been done before (see P.J. Brown 3 years ago).  And keep this in mind, Murphy isn't retired.  I'm sure he's in shape, not hurt and ready to play.  He'd just have to get in game shape.

I don't think we should sit tight because nobody cares about the regular season.  WE care about getting the best record in the regular season.  I also think you're making a very risky presumption that all the needed parts will heal sufficiently in time to be productive in the playoffs.  I don't think you can just count on that right now.  Also, if folks here are lobbying to bring in Sheed, we may as well bring in Murphy.  Neither will significantly negatively affect our team chemistry (Sheed would before Murphy).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]That's the key, what's remaining on these deals?? We don't have that information. We have their yearly salary and I guess you can crunch numbers and figure it out but who wants to do that. LOL!
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

I just divided 12 by 2 and rounded off.  Easy even for a engineer. LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbrr7. Show paulbrr7's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Troy Murphy? : I read your post as the Nets would trade Murphy. You said "the Nets should trade him to someone". A buy out would constitute a one lump payment where as allowing him to simply sit and have his contract run out spreads his payments over the remainder of the season. The Nets already ruined this guys rep, he may as well screw them and get every penny he is owed. Do you honestly see this guy, who has not played a single minute in almost 2 months coming in and helping the C's? As I said before, sit tight, who cares about the regular season, get healthy, get Wafer, West and Nate into a rotation and ready for the playoffs.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Wafer, West and Nate? Yep that will do it...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Troy Murphy? : Last time I checked, this thread was about Troy Murphy.  Clearly you think some of us want to trade for the guy.  We cannot do that since salaries don't match....we are waiting for him to be released, which has been widely speculated since he was traded to NJ (or perhaps you missed that). Further, you seem to not comprehend that we are just throwing names out there and finding out what others think.  I personally don't care if we get Murphy, or Battier or Posey............I trust Danny will make the right move to get us through this year. Lastly, Danny has SAID he is pursuing trades. As I mentioned in another thread, some of us think it is fun to play GM - it's free and we get to match wits with our fellow Celtics fans!!  Don't like it?  Think it's dumb?  Then don't post on these threads.  Your lack of comprehension of this simple concept is mind boggling and you don't know nearly as much about basketball as you think. Keep the insults coming, though.  The sure sign of the defeated!!  My two favorite Stooges episodes are: the Maja (aha) one and the plumbing one (this house has sure gone crazy).
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]
    Good choices on the episodes Hedley...You chose "Three Little Pirates" and "A Plumbing They Did Go". Although, with the Stooges, you can't go wrong with any of them. All Classics. Oh, and I like Murphy. Almost a double double career Avg.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Troy Murphy? : Curley, I will bow out and let you play GM on the threads of "Garnett for Aldrich"..."T-Mac"...."T Prince"...."Rasheed" and check back periodically to LMAO! Lets reconvene after the deadline and see what trades the C's made. Mind you I said trades...I was the one who brought up waiting for the buyouts and see what is available. Lets see how DA can make a trade with his limited assests and all of these big contract/old names being bandied about on the threads. Have fun Curley...too bad you don't understand the NBA trade guidelines
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Don't think Garnett for AlDRIDGE is practical (you don't even know how to spell his name).  Don't want Prince.
    I've read all your posts and you don't mention buyouts at all.  You recommend standing pat, like we did last year, play out the second half and see how it goes.  That is your opinion, and fine, go with it.  MOST of us that know the game know Danny is burning the phones lines like he does every year at this time looking for that missing piece.  Are you an MD?  When will Daniels be back?  Maybe Danny knows better than you the answer to that question.  I am just speculating here.  YOU?  You are an insult and a joke to Celtics fans.  I disagree with you, that makes me a stooge? 

Ignore!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Ainge said on the airwaves today that they have enough big men.   So he must feel confident enough that Shaq is gonna be ok and that Semih will too, and maybe even JON will make a playoff appearance. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

CablesWyndBairn, I would not take much stock in what Danny says on the airways.  Any and everything he says will be analyzed to the maximum extent to get an edge on what the Celtics are planning to do.  If Danny were to say the Celtics are looking for a big, that would create a major stir with questions about who is more seriously injured than originally thought and Danny doesn't need that.

A declaration like that only makes it more difficult to get a big too.  I think it's pretty obvious we need a backup to PP so that's nothing new.  I think it would say alot about the injured players we have now if we were to publicly state we're looking to add a big.  We cannot do that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Troy Murphy? : rkarp, maybe you misread my post but I was not suggesting the Celtics could trade for Murphy.  I indicated that it would best for NJ to trade him to "someone" since he has an $11.9 million expiring contract.  I agree that is valuable but I said that in my post -- guess you missed that! Now here is a thought -- if I (a team GM) know Murphy will not be in NJ's plans, why would I trade for him as opposed to waiting until after the trade deadline in hopes that NJ buys him out, which is highly likely?  Once NJ buys him out, I could then swoop in and offer him the veteran's minimum.  That way I would not have to give up a player (or players) at that salary who I do not have right now and I would probably have to pay the veteran's minimum of about $1.4 million rather than $11.9 million (or the pro-rated value of his contract). Now, short of finding a trade partner, I believe the Nets will simply buy him out.  And I am aware they would not buy him out at $11.9 million. And there is no way the Nets would simply let him sit until the end of the season.  Another thought - if I (Nets GM) could buy him out at $7.5 or $8 million instead of paying him $11.9 million to have him sit, what is the best business approach?  So to suggest the Nets " would let the guy sit out and allow his contract to go off the books ", that would be the most ridiculous option of all. Please re-read my post and see if you understand then.

-

I agree with your approach, Petey, a guy who averaged 14 points and 10 rebounds per game last season, only 30 years old, could put to bed some doubts about our depth in the bigs category, but from what I read NJ has no plans to buy Murphy out. 

And why would Murphy accept less in a buyout than his salary sitpulates either now or later?  Maybe only if he has a deal in place for an amount that would equal or exceed the $11.9 when added to the buyout.

Highly speculative, but he's a guy we could put to work immediately.

Is there any way we could afford the 12 mil for him if we traded?

A. Johnson looks like he's in trouble with that team.  IMO he should dump some of the no-hustle dead weights that are not listening to him and tread water with Murphy till he can make some good moves.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Troy Murphy? : - I agree with your approach, Petey, a guy who averaged 14 points and 10 rebounds per game last season, only 30 years old, could put to bed some doubts about our depth in the bigs category, but from what I read NJ has no plans to buy Murphy out.  And why would Murphy accept less in a buyout than his salary sitpulates either now or later?  Maybe only if he has a deal in place for an amount that would equal or exceed the $11.9 when added to the buyout. Highly speculative, but he's a guy we could put to work immediately. Is there any way we could afford the 12 mil for him if we traded? A. Johnson looks like he's in trouble with that team.  IMO he should dump some of the no-hustle dead weights that are not listening to him and tread water with Murphy till he can make some good moves.
    Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]
    Hoopshype today is suggesting Murphy's destination most likely would be Orlando if NJ buys him out.  So, there is scuttlebutt about NJ buying him out if they are unable to trade him.  If it's about winning a championship, I think he'd have to consider the Celtics seriously if they made a play for him.

It might be hard for NJ to trade him because why would any team trade for him if they knew he would most likely get bought out after the trade deadline anyway and you could get him for a fraction of the $5 million remaining for this season?  NJ lost its leverage by declaring he wasn't in their plans so they lost his trade value.

(If his #1 priority is to play basketball) It makes sense for Murphy to take a buyout because with less than 30 games remaining, he's probably owed about $5 million in salary, give or take.  If he gets bought out at $3/3.5 million, he can go ahead and play and qualify for the playoffs.  He'll then make up a small portion of the lost salary by signing the veteran's minimum wherever he goes and he may even make up more lost salary with playoff checks.  So he should demand a buyout if he's not moved by the deadline.

And, finally, why would NJ pay his entire year's salary if it knows already he will never play for them?  That's simply wasting money.  NJ saves almost $2 million by buying him out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Troy Murphy? : Hoopshype today is suggesting Murphy's destination most likely would be Orlando if NJ buys him out.  So, there is scuttlebutt about NJ buying him out if they are unable to trade him.  If it's about winning a championship, I think he'd have to consider the Celtics seriously if they made a play for him. It might be hard for NJ to trade him because why would any team trade for him if they knew he would most likely get bought out after the trade deadline anyway and you could get him for a fraction of the $5 million remaining for this season?  NJ lost its leverage by declaring he wasn't in their plans so they lost his trade value. (If his #1 priority is to play basketball) It makes sense for Murphy to take a buyout because with less than 30 games remaining, he's probably owed about $5 million in salary, give or take.  If he gets bought out at $3/3.5 million, he can go ahead and play and qualify for the playoffs.  He'll then make up a small portion of the lost salary by signing the veteran's minimum wherever he goes and he may even make up more lost salary with playoff checks.  So he should demand a buyout if he's not moved by the deadline. And, finally, why would NJ pay his entire year's salary if it knows already he will never play for them?  That's simply wasting money.  NJ saves almost $2 million by buying him out.

-

Good answer, but here's a good question.

Why is New Jersey so dumb?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Troy Murphy? : - Good answer, but here's a good question. Why is New Jersey so dumb?
    Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]
    That's a good question RajonRondowski.  Quick answer, it's New Jersey.  However, I think NJ made a miscalculation by trying to position themselves thinking they would eventually get Melo.  I think they intended to include Murphy and his $11.9 million expiring contract as part of a package for Melo.  It wasn't smart for Avery Johnson to declare so early that Murphy wasn't in their plans although they had just traded for him with Indiana.  That made no sense -- trade for a guy and tell him to stay home.  That is stupid if they don't eventually get Melo and nobody trades for him by the deadline.

If I'm another team, I would not trade for him unless I desperately needed him, which no team fits that bill.  I would not trade for him because I'd just wait until after the trade deadline and let him get bought out.  Then I can sign him for the vet minimum instead of the remaining $5 million for the remainder of the season.

It's a big risk for a team that desperately wants him but I don't think too many teams are desperate to pick up Murphy.  He'd be a good pickup but I doubt teams are lining up to trade for him.

NJ just played this whole thing wrong.  That's why they're NJ.  If he were to get bought out, THEN, and only then, would he be in demand.

Sections
Shortcuts