Troy Murphy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Re: Troy Murphy

In Response to Re: Troy Murphy:
    Troy Murphy? Didn't he retire already? If not, he should. If he doesn't, the Cs should pass on this stiff. He collected $10 million last year for nada, bupkis, zilch. Teams didn't play him for the reason the Celts quit playing him, HE'S FINISHED! No hops, no shot, no speed, no defense. Just another never was hanging on for one more big payday before he disappears into the nether world of athletic retirement.
    Posted by SoCalCeltFan

Funny, because according to his stats, as late as 2010, Murphy averaged 14/10 for the Pacers.  When has Baby ever given us those numbers?  ONLY last year did he not play.   He got hurt in pre-season, and didn't crack Avery Johnson's rotation when he got  back.  The whole buyout thing was ugly, as they refused to play him while waiting for the optimum time to buy him out.  You really should do research before you call a guy washed up.  He's still only 31!  He deserves another chance, at short money, and I hope it is with us!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

I'd rather use the money and try to develope a promising big man. Who knows, they might must turn into a player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

I'd rather use the money and try to develope a promising big man. Who knows, they might must turn into a player.
    Posted by NoahJustin

I would agree, but they are going the cheap route.  IF they can sign a kid for short money, they may do it.  Otherwise, I think Murphy, for one year, is a good alternative!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

For the NBA minimum I would resign him for 1 season. He was a very productive player in the NBA for several years and his production didn't take the big hit until last season. He was injured. He never got into proper shape last season to contribute. One year at the minimum is not much of a gamble for a player who is only 31 years old and who used to be a good player.
       Given an alternative choice, I would resign Leon. A lot of you want to put Leon in the Celtic's past. Based upon his performance against the C's late last season when he was playing the the Grizzlies if I recall correctly, Leon had a heck of a game and proved to me that he can still play at the NBA level. The Celtics miss his tenacity, rebounding and inside offensive game. Bring back Leon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrax. Show mtrax's posts

Murphy showed to everyone this year that he is washed up.
    He was signed to be insurance in the playoffs in case Shaq couldn't come back.
    Well, Shaq wasn't there and Doc had the confidence to play Murphy a whole 3 minutes in the playoffs.

He needs to take some of the money that he has made to get a nose job, a better haircut and some tanning sessions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

TM was a wasted pick-up in the first place.   He's been over-the-hill for @ least a couple of yrs.   One of many of DA/Papille's bad moves.   Woulda been worse if he had to be depended on to get off the bench.   He's never been on a team that he has made better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

He showed and did absolutely nothing in 2010-11. At his age, he's probably done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Posted by NoahJustin

What kind of promising young big man will sign on the cheap?  To come off the bench?  And get very limited minutes because Doc doesn't know how to manage minutes for anybody, let alone young players

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

In Response to Re: Troy Murphy : What kind of promising young big man will sign on the cheap?  To come off the bench?  And get very limited minutes because Doc doesn't know how to manage minutes for anybody, let alone young players
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

Doc is in it for the long haul after signing a 5 year extension. After KG and Ray are gone Doc will have no choice but to play the young players. It was not so long ago that Doc had rookies or 2nd year players starting for the Celtics. I think it was 2004 to 2006 when Delonte, TA, Big Al, and Gerald Green were getting a lot of minutes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Red Russ,
    I think in Murphy's case Doc and Ainge are very unlikely to make a mistake on him.  We saw nothing, but don't know what they saw in practice.  Based on his playing time they saw nothing.  If he is back on any level it will be because he has some upside. I don't believe there is much chance of that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JREwing. Show JREwing's posts

Red Russ, I think in Murphy's case Doc and Ainge are very unlikely to make a mistake on him.  We saw nothing, but don't know what they saw in practice.  Based on his playing time they saw nothing.  If he is back on any level it will be because he has some upside. I don't believe there is much chance of that.
    Posted by concord27

Murphy makes Scalabrine look like Bird, Jordan, & Dr. J. all rolled up into one lean mean formerly green machine! (LOL)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Murphy would be a good fit for the Celtics, if he worked on his shot and got his rhythum back he could help open the middle which is clogged by Super Rondos man.  I really think he fits well with the big four.  He needs 20 to 30 minutes a game depending on how he is playing.  He is worth keeping but I put D. West ahead of everybody except Green.  I don not know why in the world we are fooling around with the guy from Texas Bradlely who does not seem to have a grasp of how to play the team game at all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JREwing. Show JREwing's posts

Murphy would be a good fit for the Celtics, if he worked on his shot and got his rhythum back he could help open the middle which is clogged by Super Rondos man.  I really think he fits well with the big four.  He needs 20 to 30 minutes a game depending on how he is playing.  He is worth keeping but I put D. West ahead of everybody except Green.  I don not know why in the world we are fooling around with the guy from Texas Bradlely who does not seem to have a grasp of how to play the team game at all.
    Posted by maryngary

Murphy MAY have been  a decent fit 5 years ago. Now the only middle he can unclog is the middle of the toilet with a plunger and a can of Draino, or Liquid Plummer!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sev133. Show Sev133's posts

relax with the corny jokes man

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kenyonwoods. Show kenyonwoods's posts

Troy really didn't show anything last year, but maybe he was hurt.  Maybe he didn't know the system.  Maybe he can make a difference.  Maybe he just reeks.  Painful to think about. I saw nothing positive about TM last year.  Nothing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Troy really didn't show anything last year, but maybe he was hurt.  Maybe he didn't know the system.  Maybe he can make a difference.  Maybe he just reeks.  Painful to think about. I saw nothing positive about TM last year.  Nothing.
    Posted by kenyonwoods

So, what could it hurt to give him a tryout for the vet min?  We seem to be divided here, so it is not very far-fetched at all.  IF JJJ is that good, we don't need him.  But, if he needs time, Murphy can be a good, and cheap, stop-gap!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

relax with the corny jokes man
    Posted by Sev133

seconded

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

What evidence do any of you have that Doc will play the rookies any meaningful minutes? 

I've been frustrated for years with his unwillingness to let young guys develop and pulls them off the floor at the first mistake. But he'll let PP get stripped three consecutive times down the floor and do nada.

We need a new coach as well as some young legs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

What evidence do any of you have that Doc will play the rookies any meaningful minutes?  I've been frustrated for years with his unwillingness to let young guys develop and pulls them off the floor at the first mistake. But he'll let PP get stripped three consecutive times down the floor and do nada. We need a new coach as well as some young legs.
    Posted by tjwoods

Evidence -
    Rondo
    Perkins
    Jefferson
    Gomes
    Banks
    DWest
    Davis
    Erden

Didn't play -
    Bradley
    Giddens
    Walker
    Harangody

all marginal players at best!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

murphy=SCRUB!

"Keeping it real".
    "Schooling russ all day long".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Another reason I hope we get Murph is so the lakers don't! 
    After a year of Theo Ratliff, Joe Smith and Derrick lack-o-caracter, Murphy would be a perfect fit for them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

How anyone would feel based on what we saw that you want to continue is ridiculous?  Murphy is a broken down player. If no one else wants him I would let him come to camp.  But the odds of him being a factor are beyond slim. Doc never even gave him a look while he was on the bench and he is a veteran.  That tells you all you need to know.
    Posted by concord27

doc also never gave wafer the minutes that he deserved to have, never used marcheese daniels properly (not enough minutes!), delonte had how many uber-low minute playoff games? 

doc is all about not using the bench right and having horrible rotations.  that's what doc does.  and we just inked him up for 5 more years of stupidity.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"When has Baby ever given us those numbers? "

I'm guessing Baby could have hit those numbers for a so-so Pacer team. In Baby's defense - gosh I'm not used to typing that - he has shown up big in some playoff games (though not this year), whereas Murphy hasn't even sniffed the playoffs. 

But yeah, if Murphy will sign a cheapo one year deal it might be worth taking a flyer on. But let's face it, this teams needs youth not sluggish veterans

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from champs08. Show champs08's posts

Murphy looked either disinterested or depressed every time I saw him last year. Most of the comments about PT are right on target. IF Murphy could have offered something, Doc would have played him. Doc does prefer vets to younger players because it's all about the W's.

Remember they were playing for playoff position up until the very last few games. Apparently Murphy didn't/wouldn't/couldn't show that he could play in the Celtics system.

Giving him minutes to work on his game under those conditions didn't make sense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShepherdCall. Show ShepherdCall's posts

I say bring him back; what Dallas showed is that we don't have to revamp the team with just athletes that we THINK can defend Lebron and Wade; shooters work and Murphy is an extremely good shooter.  

And as I remember he was a quality rebounder...

Sections
Shortcuts