True Celtics fans unlike the 99.9% here DO NOT BELIEVE IN TANKING. My respect to them.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

True Celtics fans unlike the 99.9% here DO NOT BELIEVE IN TANKING. My respect to them.

These are the real knowledgeable Celtics fans 99.9% of you should subscribe to the page to learn what Celtics Pride is all about. There is none here...

Here is some of the True Celtics fans opinions on tanking. Most of us that have been here long enough know what these real Celtics fans are made of. Celtics Pride runs trough their veins. Where is the pride on this board???? You want to become a great Knowledgeable Celtics fan subscribe to this board.

OK Bob,no problem.What really bother me is that instead of being happy with the adquisition of this player,some people(I am not talking about you)waste their time looking for negative things about him.I am very disappointed with those Celtics fans who are happy because Boston is 0-4 and they say that tanking is good.

I agree....and find a real ignorance in the idea of tanking. As it relates to the NBA - IT DOES NOT WORK.

Only one team in history has won a championship after winning the lottery - and that was a red herring. The Spurs were a good team but lost a lot after David Robinson got hurt for an entire season. They won the lottery, got Tim Duncan and then the Admiral came back and they had a formidable team right away. This is usually not the case and teams that hit rock bottom in the NBA rarely become viable (see Cleveland, Washington, heck - see the Celtics for the 20 years between titles.)

People suggesting the Celtics tank are ignorant and not really Celtics fans anyway.

***(Ibelieve this was for Fungus34)***

Agree completely

I think we all competed at some level in SOMETHING and unless I was playing Tittleywinks, Candyland or Shoots and Ladders with the kids I wanted to win........and above that I TRIED to win.

Unless a couple players are point shaving and have $$$$ on it (and that has happened refs included) no one steps out on that floor to intentionally loose any game. Our play in the 4th quarter has cost us 3 potential wins but that is because we just are not that good...........yet. With Rondo we win at least 2 of those perhaps.

Management might have a long term goal of not being very competitive in a particular year with the "Hope" of catching lightening in a bottle the next year but even then they are NOT loosing intentionally.

I hope it's obvious that you're preaching to the choir when it comes to my views on the "tanking" crap. I put it in the same category as Hollinger's "pop stats" as far as credibility is concerned.

http://samcelt.forumotion.net/t5599-is-vitor-as-good-as-we-think

So there you have it folks. That is what Lakers, Celtics, Spurs Pride is all about. Now go learn some Real Celtics Pride.

http://samcelt.forumotion.net/f1-hot-celtics-and-basketball-topics

YOUR WELCOME! Cool

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Re: True Celtics fans unlike the 99.9% here DO NOT BELIEVE IN TANKING. My respect to them.

I don't believe in tanking

I didn't for Duncan, either, and look where that got us!

And it's YOU'RE welcome....not your..............geez!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

Re: True Celtics fans unlike the 99.9% here DO NOT BELIEVE IN TANKING. My respect to them.

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks teacher. Remember English is my second language my first is the #1 language in the world Spanish. Thanks anyway, I learn something every day Cool

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

Realizing we're not going to hang another banner after this season, and realizing that we need a go-to guy player to compete: What would you rather see happen?  The Celtics draft a top 5 player in this year's draft?  Or the Celtics improve via free agency? (see the below link)

True NBA fans realize that the draft is in Boston's best interest.  With a young core, and young coach..plug in another young stud and watch them win games together over the next decade.  I'm not suggesting they purposely tank, but losses = ping pong balls which is exactly what the team needs.

http://www1.realgm.com/article/229958/Previewing-The-2014-NBA-Free-Agent-Class

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Teams have different objectives.  If its obvious that you are not going to be remotely competitive, primarily because of poor talent or missing players, then your primary objective is to fix those deficiencies.

While the management and players are trying to fix those deficiencies, it may require non-standard and untraditional player management and game plans.

Like... to determine if certain players can perform at different positions, that will better fit the long term team strategy, or determine if certain player combinations can be effective, or to showcase certain players required for neccesary trades - all designed to fix deficiencies - but at all times playing hard and trying to win every game within those constraints.  Make no mistake,

IF we stuck to playing the "best" players, the most minutes, or whatever your definition is of not tanking, we would still likely not win many more, or any more, games.  We have a bad team talent wise.  

The problem is the definition and perception of the word "tanking".  This coach and our players are not TRYING to tank.  What we are doing is trying to improve the team as the highest priority.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

According to one of those knowledgeable Celtics fan I quoted Tanking does not work in the NBA. Look it up. I will but not now. It's only worked once.

Only one team in history has won a championship after winning the lottery - and that was a red herring. The Spurs were a good team but lost a lot after David Robinson got hurt for an entire season. They won the lottery, got Tim Duncan and then the Admiral came back and they had a formidable team right away. This is usually not the case and teams that hit rock bottom in the NBA rarely become viable (see Cleveland, Washington, heck - see the Celtics for the 20 years between titles.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

GK,

I'm really surprised - you're visiting Sam's Celtics Forum. Even quote its regulars.

Why didn't you post there?

AK

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Am with you. I dont believe in tanking. It does not work. I dont think we are tanking anyways. Those conspiracy theories do not work either. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

I have been a Celtic fan from as far back as I have memories and learned most of what I know about the game from listening to Cousy and Tommy, those guys did an amazing job back in the day of explaining how to win.

A team is 8 guys who know how to compliment each others strenghts and expose the other teams weakness. To adapt on the fly, play by play, as the game dictates. You maintain momentum and operate with efficiancy. Ego's are a good thing as long as they are ultimatly measured in the amount of wins.

We had a team, now we do not. To build a team one must find 8 guys who have passion to win, work ethic, inteligence to learn, willingness to adapt, talent, and potential.

Untill we find those 8 guys we have nothing, play whoever you must, trade whoever does not display those traits, audition these guys and identify what we truly have.

That is not tanking, it is searching for a team. The ultimate goal is to find 8 guys we can commit too and that will commit to being a team. Then we might have something.

Ping pong balls be damned

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

As long as this season is full of competitive losses I'll be okay. This is clearly a rebuilding/development year. It's time to see what Avery Bradley can bring to the table. Is he a starting guard in this league that can fill multiple rolls or is he a smaller Tony Allen? Another year of development for Sullinger. Can he add something to his game? Can he be a better defender? Can he continue to stretch the floor? Can Olynyk blossom into something that resembles his summer league performance? Will he be overmatched by the physicality of the NBA? Can Jeff Green become a go-to scorer or is he best served as a 2nd or 3rd option in the offense? Is Vitor worth a long term investment? Can he adapt to the NBA? These are the decisions that the FO needs to make and probably what they are looking at throughout the entire season. The other guys are just roster fillers. So, in addition to hopefully answering all of those questions, they have to make sure they are set up moving forward. Whether they have to make some trades to clear up cap space or find a way to accumlate as many high picks as possible in a LOADED draft is yet to be seen. If Andrew Wiggins happens to be in Celtic green next year then sweet. But there are a bunch of other guys that deserve attention too. It'd be in the Celtics best interest to secure a top-5 spot while developing the other guys. That's what you're going to see, so get comfortable with it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

The Celtics are about winning.  This team can rebuild without begging it's way to the front of David Stern's welfare line.

Always fight for every thing you can get and the chips will fall where they may.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

We aren't tanking.

We are just giving young players some experience....wink, wink.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJandHondo. Show KJandHondo's posts

The fact that this team has been competitive vs. teams like Memphis who from all accounts is a playoff team predicated on one of the better front court tandem in the NBA which is the Celtics perennial weaknesses is a blessing.  This roster is a MESS and I don’t believe that’s an accident.  Like people have mentioned this is basically a yearlong tryout/showcase for possible trades.  I'm not saying Brad Stevens is in the huddle late telling his guys, "remember what the Ownership wants, just toss the ball around we need the pick".  This Roster just blows, Green is a solid NBA player but his game is predicated on the ability to drive the basket, yet there is NO dependable outside or even mid-range threat at any time on the court wearing a Celtics uni.  This team can't spread the floor, teams can just clog the lane or double team Green and there goes the Offense.  You could let Bradley, Crawford, Lee, and GWall take open shots all game and still not be able to score better than 40%.  If Green can get 20+ pts in any game that’s actually an accomplishment considering teams really are just making game plans to lock him down.

Also, let’s pump the breaks on Fav... I know as a Celtics fan we RARELY have seen someone pull down that many rebounds but let’s see him play some D before we throw contracts at him. KO also needs to show he can play some D before I anoint him the future big of the franchise.

If your only measurement of success is the W/L record you are going to have a LONG season.  If we can develop ANY of these guys as dependable starters that’s a win.  If we can convince any team to trade us picks for one of these guys, that’s a win. Generally your correct, tanking will not immediately mean a championship, but when the consensus is this is the best Draft is 39 years with up to 8 guys that could develop into franchise players I will just hope to be entertained watching young guys come up short.  

Keep Calm and Tank on.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"I agree....and find a real ignorance in the idea of tanking. As it relates to the NBA - IT DOES NOT WORK."

Wrong. 

You are confusing "tanking" and winning the lottery. You don't need to win the lottery. Our prior tanking seasons got us the chips (good players) that we traded to get KG and Ray and win a championship. 

The only teams that can get away with a different approach are LA, Miami, and the Texas teams - because those locations attract marquee free agents (maybe NYC also). 

The NBA is a super star driven league, if you don't have a couple you aren't going anywhere. 

I don't have an issue with a fan rooting for the Celts to win and make the playoffs, but you should understand that's not what Ainge is planning. He's intending to go into the lottery in a very deep draft. 

Rooting for the team to win and make the playoffs is a very naive view of the NBA, as in the east, we could linger on the edge of the playoffs for years. 

Just because I understand how the NBA works and what the long term needs of the franchise are (to get a Lebron type player or real trading assets) doesn't mean I am less of a fan than those who wish the NBA worked differently.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Irrelavant what the fans believe, we neither play nor manage the team.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to TheNewGKDynasty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

These are the real knowledgeable Celtics fans 99.9% of you should subscribe to the page to learn what Celtics Pride is all about. There is none here...

Here is some of the True Celtics fans opinions on tanking. Most of us that have been here long enough know what these real Celtics fans are made of. Celtics Pride runs trough their veins. Where is the pride on this board???? You want to become a great Knowledgeable Celtics fan subscribe to this board.

OK Bob,no problem.What really bother me is that instead of being happy with the adquisition of this player,some people(I am not talking about you)waste their time looking for negative things about him.I am very disappointed with those Celtics fans who are happy because Boston is 0-4 and they say that tanking is good.

I agree....and find a real ignorance in the idea of tanking. As it relates to the NBA - IT DOES NOT WORK.

People suggesting the Celtics tank are ignorant and not really Celtics fans anyway.

***(Ibelieve this was for Fungus34)***

Agree completely

I think we all competed at some level in SOMETHING and unless I was playing Tittleywinks, Candyland or Shoots and Ladders with the kids I wanted to win........and above that I TRIED to win.

Unless a couple players are point shaving and have $$$$ on it (and that has happened refs included) no one steps out on that floor to intentionally loose any game. Our play in the 4th quarter has cost us 3 potential wins but that is because we just are not that good...........yet. With Rondo we win at least 2 of those perhaps.

Management might have a long term goal of not being very competitive in a particular year with the "Hope" of catching lightening in a bottle the next year but even then they are NOT loosing intentionally.

I hope it's obvious that you're preaching to the choir when it comes to my views on the "tanking" crap. I put it in the same category as Hollinger's "pop stats" as far as credibility is concerned.

http://samcelt.forumotion.net/t5599-is-vitor-as-good-as-we-think

So there you have it folks. That is what Lakers, Celtics, Spurs Pride is all about. Now go learn some Real Celtics Pride.

http://samcelt.forumotion.net/f1-hot-celtics-and-basketball-topics

YOUR WELCOME! Cool

[/QUOTE]

3 points. All are pretty basic.

1. I have been watching the Celtics since the days of Ard and Stacom.  I think I pass the true Celtic fan test.

2. Whether one calls it tanking or not the fact is the Celtics are bad this year and will get a good draft pick next year.  Some call it rebuilding, others call it tanking. It is just semantics. So chill.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The hidden agenda to this thread is GK is so scared of the Celtics ending up with Andrew Wiggins, plain and simple.

Think about it, if the Celts get the #1 or #2 pick of the 2014 Draft, that means the Celtics will become relevant for years to come while the Lakers will be hoping to get the next Cedric Ceballos.

Tanking?

Brad Stevens will not tank.

The players will not tank.

Danny Ainge did the tanking for them.

[/QUOTE]

+2

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]

According to one of those knowledgeable Celtics fan I quoted Tanking does not work in the NBA. Look it up. I will but not now. It's only worked once.

[/QUOTE]

See the lakers on their own 20 year path with age, fatigue, and no picks. Then See the  Celtics with assets galore!!! 

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

"tanking" means that you are 1) benching productive players to throw games 2) players are overtly not trying their hardest. 3) coaches show no distress at all at lack of hustle or discipline to run proper plays, play good defense.

through four games, gerald wallace is clearly on auto-tank.  this team is horrible and like some have said, does NOT NEED TO TANK to wind up in the bottom five teams of the league.  if you march out lazy unengaged play as "okay" you stand to ruin your young talent and your culture. 

why?  it's as simple as this- once "not trying hard" is institutionalized even if for just one year, it becomes an available option in the minds of many.  they can tank when they are miffed over a contract, their "touches", what have you.  it's happened before and it will happen again.

celtics pride just does not involve tanking.  the ML Carr stinko job was totally unproductive and an embarrassment to the franchise.  we can stink, play hard, and lose tons of games WHILE developing younger players and having a couple of veterans providing tangible leadership or just an example of hustlilng.  THAT is not tanking

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fbombfury. Show fbombfury's posts

In response to jtkl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

See the lakers on their own 20 year path with age, fatigue, and no picks. Then See the  Celtics with assets galore!!! 

[/QUOTE]
    Oh really Tard!  I hate to rain on your parade, but it takes a good 5 yrs to devolop and that's only if you get lucky.  As far as the Lakers, well, you know it all!  lol

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

You can not believe in tanking for all the good is does you, but they are still tanking. 

This isn't the good old days, you have to create value in players who might not have much but still might add something to contending teams so you can get picks or players in return.  If there were some other way to turn your team around other than "tanking" for lack of a better word, then the team would do it.  You can't create something out of nothing.  The way the system is set up, this is the only way to get competitive again quickly and not remain in loser limbo for a decade.

Whether you want to believe it or not the team "tanked" in 2006, showcased the only player it had of value, Al Jefferson, and the next year they won a championship by trading him for KG.  They sat Rondo in favor of Telfair (who was an offensive black hole and defensive liability), they started Ryan Gomes at power forward, played Wally max minutes, they sat Leon Powe all season after he had one breakout first half in the middle of the season then disappeared, they refused to play big AL and Perk together as a tandem the ENTIRE season and most importantly Paul Pierce went down with a mystery injury to start the season... they tanked!

This year they will play the players they think other teams might covet, they'll showcase them, play them max minutes.  I think the player they really want to show is Bradley, a defensive guard/scorer will have value off the bench for a contender, they will also be able to package him with some of our inflated contracts.

The players they want to keep, they'll hide; Fav, Pressey, keep Babb in Maine...

Rondo barely played season one until the second half of the season, expect to see the same.

25. This post has been removed.