Trust in Ainge and you will see a playoff team in 2015 if not sooner

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LegendofBoston1988. Show LegendofBoston1988's posts

Trust in Ainge and you will see a playoff team in 2015 if not sooner

Trader Danny, the man that swindled his old pal Kevin McHale and the Timberwolves for Kevin Garnett, who jacked three first-round picks from Billy King and the Nets for the shell of Garnett and a faded Paul Pierce, who got the Clippers to cough up a first rounder for Doc Rivers, was at it again. Danny Ainge, the Celtics' wheeling and dealing president, shipped Jordan Crawford and MarShon Brooks to Golden State in a three-team deal that brought Joel Anthony, a second-round pick and a conditional first-round pick back to Boston.

What, you don't care? You will. In a matter of months, Ainge has deconstructed the last pieces of a proud title contender and put the Celtics in position to be back in the playoff picture in a year and, with a little luck, in conference contention soon after.

Look at the assets the Celtics now have to play with. They have a pair of first-round picks in '14, '15 and '16. That conditional first-round pick from Philadelphia will transfer to Boston if Philly makes the playoffs this season (not happening) or next (not out of the realm of possibility), and becomes two second rounders if they don't. And speaking of second-round picks, the Celtics have a haul of them over the next few years, too, including the '16 second rounder Miami sent their way for taking Anthony's salary off its books.

The Celtics are on a high speed course for a bottom 3 or 4 team. Hoping for that magical #1 or even  #2 ball. Ainge is going to go star hunting, and with what he has to deal he may be able to get more than one. There is plenty of buzz that Ainge likes Utah's Gordon Hayward, the Brad Stevens-coached Butler product who will be a restricted free agent at the end of the season. There are the 2015 free agents like Kevin Love and LaMarcus Aldridge, who could be in play if Minnesota and Portland fear they may not be able to keep them. And there is always that wild card, the star you don't think is available until a team suddenly tells you they are. Just ask the Nets, who had just been beat by the Knicks for Carmelo Anthony when they found out Deron Williams was on the market.

Yes, the Celtics are well positioned to rebuild rapidly, and there is really only one way Ainge can screw it up: Trading Rajon Rondo. Across the league, rival executives believe that Ainge will eventually put Rondo on the trade block. He turns 28, is a four-time All-Star, a basketball maestro (Erik Spoelstra's words, not mine) and plays the NBA's most valuable position. When Rondo proves he is fully recovered from an ACL injury -- and there is no reason to think he won't -- he will instantly become one of the most coveted trade pieces out there.

So why trade him? Critics of Rondo say he is high maintenance. How many stars are not? Chris Paul forced Vinny Del Negro out and has battled with Blake Griffin. The Big Three in Miami were griping about Spoelstra after only about a month of playing for him. Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard just muddled through one of the most dysfunctional seasons in history as teammates. Is Rondo a natural leader? Probably not. Is he, when healthy, one of the five best players at his position? Absolutely. Before Boston decides to deal him, they should think long and hard about how difficult it will be to replace him.

You build around players like Rondo, who by the way can't be a free agent until the summer of '15. You keep this year's pick, hope the team sinks far enough in the standings to get into the Jabari Parker-Joel Embiid-Andrew Wiggins sweepstakes and you build around them. You have a coach who excels at player development. Some in the national media (cough, cough) expressed skepticism that Stevens could make the jump from mid-major Butler to the NBA, without a minute of assistant coaching experience. But Stevens developed Crawford from a gunner the Wizards were willing to hand over for spare parts last season into a playmaker with a better assist-to-turnover ratio than Jrue HolidayTony Parker and Damian Lillard. That's impressive.

Trader Danny is armed to the teeth with assets, and it won't be long before the type of player comes on the market that will make him want to pull the trigger.

Like most GM's in the league say, its easier to make those big trades at draft day, than the middle of the season. Enjoy the ride Celtics Nation. I am excited to see what kind of club this team has on the court next year. 

Oh and a quick shout out to both Fiercy and Mployee, I love the humorous banter you 2 bring to this board. Please don't stop, however just realise you are only making yourselves look childish berating each others OPINIONS. I enjoy both of your soothsayer ways. Just keep the rubbish of trashing each other for their opinions, is a little pathetic.  LETS GO C's !! 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

Re: Trust in Ainge and you will see a playoff team in 2015 if not sooner

its still possible

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

I like the post and agree with it.  Ainge is loaded.  Next stop: draft day.  We need some luck and some good moves.

Then after 2015, you offer Rondo the max and see where that process leads.  Put the 16 mil on the table for him and another guy like Love or Aldridge.  (I refuse to get versed in the complexities beyond that, but I know the cap isn't ever an obstacle for teams that are willing to be creative and stars who are willing to go along.  The idea of learning the ins and outs of the NBA CBA reminds me of comparing cell phone services and contracts and I can't think of anything more banal.  Also, the idea that folks don't want to play for the Celts for this or that reason is absurd.  This is the storied franchise and if that is something they want to take a pass on then they can go pound sand in that basketball Mecca:  Miami)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to shines01's comment:

I like the post and agree with it.  Ainge is loaded.  Next stop: draft day.  We need some luck and some good moves.

i hope we'll have two lotto picks by the end of the season