Two year window

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Two year window

Roster w/ Contract details:

(12-13)          (13-14)          (14-15)

Rondo                 11M               12M                13M

Bradley               2.5M              3.5M 

Terry                   5M                  5M                5.5M

Lee                     5M                  5M                5.5M

Christmas           500k              800k

Joseph               500k               800k

Pierce                16.8M             15.3M(p)

Green                9M                   9M                9M

Bass                  6M                   6.5M             7M

Sullinger            1.3M                1.3M            1.4M

Wilcox                1.3M

KG                     11.5M            12.5M            12M

Collins              1.3M

Milicic                1.3M

Melo                 1.2M              1.3M               1.4M

Its hard to argue against the fact that our current roster is shaped with the potential for a championship, though not guarenteed. If this group gels well together and makes it deep in the playoffs, it looks like we remain as constructed for atleast one additional year, with two caveats:

1. Paul Pierce takes his option. If not, we have ~ 15M (likely less) to spend on the market for a backup to J. Green. However, if KG and JET don't retire, Pierce is likely convinced to stay for that second year and test FA for the first time in 2015.

2. If Wilcox does well, I see him needing a raise to stay. After a year of experience, I think Melo will be able to contribute as a 3rd string C. Therefore either Collins or Darko will be let go with the extra Mil going to Wilcox maybe a 3yr 9M contract tops.

Why does this matter? I think our team's success is due to the intangibles. And going into the season with so much confidence and energy WHILE knowing that this isn't a 1 and done is going to be huge. So, when the season eventually begins, I would form your opinions of our team in the context of this (as currently contructed) being a two year window.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: Two year window

It is also interesting to note that Pierce at 16.8M is our largest contract now. I wonder if they normalized the ESPN top player list by salary and did a total per team, that we wouldn't be one of the top teams.

Although, the current rankings coming out is mostly a reflection on last year, which really understates the true value/rank of Green, Wilcox, and Bradley. I think if you took next years ESPN scores and normalized it against the 2012-2013 salaries, Celtics would be one of the top teams.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

I don't think you have that good of a team.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

not good

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from larrykevinchief. Show larrykevinchief's posts

All of the best teams this year will be depending on lack of injuries.  Any of BOS, LAL, MIA, SAS, OKC, PHI or CHI could win if they are healthy and playing well at playoff time.  It is ridiculous to make predictions or speculate on the future.  I'm ready for the ride, and the fun to begin!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

False.

By ESPN rankings:

12 Rondo

21 Garnett

29 Pierce

Thats three top 30, troll. If we look at other teams with three top 3 players:

Heat: James, Wade, Bosh

LAL: Howard, Kobe, Gasol, Nash

OKC: Durant, Westbrook, Harden

Spurs: Parker, Ginobili, Duncan

and ... thats it. Lakers had three top-30 last year and didn't make it to the conference finals like the rest of the teams above. They have four (including an upgrade) top-30 players this year, so lets see what happens. I think you need to have three top-30 players to be in the discussion of conference favorites, but it is not necessarily a requirement for a championship. I think the Grizz, LAC, maybe the Knicks have the possibility of making it to the finals, and they do not fit this mold.

Plus we have something that LAL do not have. A lot of young talent that could possibly be on their way to top-30. Boston also has four additional players (Terry, Bradley, Lee, Bass) that all rank higher than your fifth best player (and starter). Also, hate on this all you want, but Jeff Green should be ranked higher than MWP and will be next year. Mark my words.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from larrykevinchief. Show larrykevinchief's posts

I would hardly call Rondo a scrub player

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Nice threads Rondo... but can you make a play at crunch time?

In response to TommyRules' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rondo could be a top 10 player this year.

Pierce and Garnett should be less effective due to less playing time and age.

Terry/Lee/Bass are pretty good players but are generally considered backups.

It's not impossible but it's pretty hard to win a championship with only one top 20 or 30 player in the league.

[/QUOTE]

Rondo is the early fave to win the GQ Intern of the Year Award.

Pud

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

True-ish. Garnett is 21... that's missing top 20 by a hair. And you're right. Lakes are stacked with ESPN-deemed top 20 players. Lets see what happens. Arguably on paper, anything less than top seed and a championship should be a dissapointment.

You can't blame true Celtics fans for not being THAT afraid. We haven't had much trouble with Howard in the past. We have defensive guards that can limit the Nash effect. We know how to beat LA ... entice Kobe into taking highly contested shots, and watch the .483 and .283 go to work! Steer clear of MWP elbows to the dome, and then try not to make the worst bench in the league cry when we demoralize them without even trying.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to BloggetyBloop's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2 year window for what?

If you are talking about a championship, that window got slammed shut when Danny traded away K. Perkins.

Enjoy watching your mediocre team try and keep up with the Nets and 76ers in their division. 

I will definitely be well entertained watching Nash, Kobe, Pau, and Dwight.

Have a fantastic day!

[/QUOTE]

Well bloggedytroll, according to your pal Rico's logic we should be able to cream the 76ers and the Nets as both teams only have 1 top-30 player. And the Nets? D-Wil is good, but we have three top defensive guards. I guess on paper D-Wil and JoJo seem like a threat, but did you see either of them in the playoffs? D-Wil couldn't lead his team there. And Joe did not show up to win, at all.

76ers are a solid x-factor team, kind of like the Grizz. Who likely will be taken out of the playoffs by the Pacers in ... lets say... 6 games. And I say that because I think either Stern or God (maybe the same dude) are going to let the chips fall so that NYK and BKN duke it out first round at 4 and 5.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

Two years is the plan and then you will see the younger talent take over and a considerably different roster.

The thing this team has over all the teams with multiple top 20 players on this ESPN list.  They have by far more depth than all of them and this will enable the Celtic's to do things they couldn't in years past. They can run or play half court.  They can go big or small.  They have scorers on the bench, so the second unit will be able to extend leads, not just try to maintain them.  They can put units in for pure offense or shutdown D.  They have multiple shooters from beyond the three point line.  They can will their game style on opponents or play their opponents style ball and beat them at it.

Doc is a happy guy right now with this roster.  Just need to get through the season without any major injuries, like everyone else and we have a good shot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to red2004sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Two years is the plan and then you will see the younger talent take over and a considerably different roster.

The thing this team has over all the teams with multiple top 20 players on this ESPN list.  They have by far more depth than all of them and this will enable the Celtic's to do things they couldn't in years past. They can run or play half court.  They can go big or small.  They have scorers on the bench, so the second unit will be able to extend leads, not just try to maintain them.  They can put units in for pure offense or shutdown D.  They have multiple shooters from beyond the three point line.  They can will their game style on opponents or play their opponents style ball and beat them at it.

Doc is a happy guy right now with this roster.  Just need to get through the season without any major injuries, like everyone else and we have a good shot.

[/QUOTE]

Well said. Doc mentioned this in the Shamrock Golf Tourny interview he gave yesterday. He is giddy. He finally has a dynamic roster with multiple successful configurations. Injuries are expected, but if we could go the entire season without anything major, we should dominate. And if we don't, then all the trolls on here can boast that you really do need multiple top-10 players stacked on one budget-busting team to win big.

Rondo is our only weakness, more so than Garnett. Think about how many minutes he gave last year, his improving stats, his triple double ability and finally the ability to take over the game and carry the team. There is no replacement for Rondo. Our team better protect him from the MWP and DWades of the world.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

What 2-year plan?  If one of Green or Sullinger emerges as a force, the Celts are in it this year.  If they can trade Bass for Josh Smith, they are in it this year.  If not, there is no 2-year window.  They will be an elite team but not good enough to come out at the top.

This will be a fun season.  Doc will mix up the best dish possible.  The Celts will play with heart and overachieve once again.  While the Lakers will struggle to figure things out and potentially implode.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to prakash's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What 2-year plan?  If one of Green or Sullinger emerges as a force, the Celts are in it this year.  If they can trade Bass for Josh Smith, they are in it this year.  If not, there is no 2-year window.  They will be an elite team but not good enough to come out at the top.

This will be a fun season.  Doc will mix up the best dish possible.  The Celts will play with heart and overachieve once again.  While the Lakers will struggle to figure things out and potentially implode.

[/QUOTE]

Its not really a plan, its a 2 year window. Its clear from what I laid out that there is a strong possibility that this team will remain as newly contructed for two years. I think we are good enough to win this year, but you should know that things happen. A few bad calls, a few missed shots, an injury has the power to hold back a championship caliber team from the gold.

The point was that I think NBA players know better, but ultimately they want to form comaraderie with their teamates and I think being in a climate of certainty as opposed to uncertainty helps greatly. I think rondo knowing he is our franchise player and wouldn't get traded helps him focus. I think Bass and Green getting solid long contracts show commitment, and helps them focus. I think Pierce, KG, and Terry knowing that they have been surrounded by stong complementary pieces for a final title run during their last years in the NBA gives them confidence and allows them to focus.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to RicoCeltic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

R9R put conviniently top 30. How many we have in the top 20???? I'll answer it for you, 1. The Fakers have 4. How about in the top 10???? I'll answer again 0, the Fakers have 2. Rondo is not a scrub but until he hits the outside shot consistently he will be behind CP3, Derrin Williams, Wesbrook, Derrick Rose just like the rankings show.

[/QUOTE]

Ok lets add some context around Rondo and why he actually is the best PG in the league:

In 2011 Reg Season: Rondo had 3 of 37 total TRIPLE-DOUBLES (2nd highest in league)

In 2011 Playoffs: Rondo had 1 of 4 total TRIPLE-DOUBLES (tied for most)

In 2012 Reg Season: Rondo had 6 of 18 total TRIPLE-DOUBLES (most by 5).

For those lacking in math skills, thats 1/3 of total

In 2012 Playoffs: Rondo had 4/6 TRIPLE-DOUBLES (most by 3), IN ADDITION to 14 double doubles - most in the playoffs.

To put that in perspective, that is all while on the same team as KG (who racked up 13 double doubles in 2012 post-season) and Paul Pierce (who had 3 DDs).

Post season comparison:

PLAYER NAME, TEAM NAME GP MPG PPG RPG APG STPG BLKPG DblDbl TriDlb

1 Rajon Rondo , BOS 19 42.7 17.3 6.7 11.9 2.4 .1 14 4

2 Chris Paul , LAC 11 38.4 17.6 5.1 7.9 2.7 .1 4 0

Rondo and Paul have the same PPG, Rondo has 1.5 more RPG and 4 more APG...

RONDO IS ELITE

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

Agreed

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I dont know man, last season seemed to end with Rondo as the best point guard in the league. I just showed that Rondo is AT LEAST on par with Paul. Right now Rose shouldn't be in the conversation. When he's fully recovered for the 2013 season, he will be. I just don't see the argument for D-Wil. 

After last post-season, I don't see how its not:

1. Rondo

2. Paul

3. Westbrook

4. Williams

5. Parker

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakerfaker. Show lakerfaker's posts

In response to RicoCeltic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pierce and Garnett are middle of the pack players now who are way past their prime and a yaer older. The rest of our team are a buch of scrubs bench fillers. And we all have one little person to thank:

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUU DAAAAAAANNYYYYYYYY!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way about my Lakers.  We have a center that has a bad back.  He may never be close to what he was before.  (except free throws).  He will have back problems the rest of his life.  We have a human ball hog.  He alone will keep us from winning a title.  He can't share the limelight.  Very sad.  We have a point guard that is about the same age as Tim Hardaway.  Ughh.  He will surely have health problems this year. We have a maniac that is liable to blow at any time.  More than likely he will be suspended for 20 games when he does blow.  That leaves us with Pau.  He will keep us competitive but he is also so SOFT.   With no bench and things not going right we could end up with a terrible record.  My fellow Laker fans are dillusional to think with no depth and healthy concerns to think we will challenge for the title.

You Celtic fans are reloading and look to have a chance to take the whole enchilada. Youth with stud players like Rondo, KG, and Paul.  Throw in the Jet and Sully.  Wow!!!

Go Lakers!!!

Sections
Shortcuts