Tyler Zeller

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Tyler Zeller

This guy can move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROIJ3NDnSUE

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

Re: Tyler Zeller

he'll going to have a terrific season with the Cs this year

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

That's why there's no way he's comparable to Spencer Hawes.

T.Zeller doesn't move or play like Hawes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to FierceBrand's comment:

That's why there's no way he's comparable to Spencer Hawes.

T.Zeller doesn't move or play like Hawes.

agreed. and that's why they have to call da a "thief"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celticsfan1984. Show Celticsfan1984's posts

Ainge was quoted saying yesterday that he thinks Zeller is a mobile big that is similar to KO and Sully in that respect.  Can spread the floor with excellent, above average mid-range shooting.  That part is similar to Hawes.

But he can also be effective down low when he is set and doesn't rush.  That is not really Spencer Hawes at all.  

I think Zeller has upside and has a great, affordable contract.  I'll take that over Hawes as well.  Hawes is a nice addition to an already good team like the Clips who have inside players already, but I like Zeller better for a rebuilding team like ours.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

After setting a pick, Hawes prefers to pop.

T-Zell prefers to roll and go for a dunk after setting a pick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to Celticsfan1984's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ainge was quoted saying yesterday that he thinks Zeller is a mobile big that is similar to KO and Sully in that respect.  Can spread the floor with excellent, above average mid-range shooting.  That part is similar to Hawes.

But he can also be effective down low when he is set and doesn't rush.  That is not really Spencer Hawes at all.  

I think Zeller has upside and has a great, affordable contract.  I'll take that over Hawes as well.  Hawes is a nice addition to an already good team like the Clips who have inside players already, but I like Zeller better for a rebuilding team like ours.

[/QUOTE]

I described Zeller as a more active and athletic Spencer Hawes who has range to 20 feet but unlike Hawes does not shoot 3's.

That is a pretty accurate description.

PER and per 36 minute stats are very similar as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Just look at Zeller's tendency in a pick and roll situation.

Hawes always looks for a pick and pop after setting a pick.

Zeller tends to roll to attack the basket.

So how could they be similar players when their style of play is different?

Just because their stats are the same, it doesn't mean they're the same type of player.

Rondo and Stockton are the same type of player because they both average double-doubles?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I have watched a lot of both Zeller and Hawes and yes they are similar players.

Zeller has a mid-range game as well as attacking the basket and Hawes often slides through the paint for jump hooks and layups. Not identical obviously, but similar. I was clear from the start that Zeller is a more athletic guy who mixes it up down low and hustles while Hawes more an underachiever content to shoot 3's and avoid contact.

Stats also don't lie. Producing roughly the same PER and the same numbers per 36 minutes show they have similar impact from the same position and should be considered to have similar monetary value. The fact that Ainge gets Zeller on his roughly 2 million a year rookie deal over having to pay 5+ million MLE money for a comparable free agent liked Hawes is a steal for the Celtics.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Zeller had a very good mid range shot and he has the skill to play the 5 with the exception that he is not a great rim protector.  He also comes form a basketball family and seems to understand the game which is more important than most think.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have watched a lot of both Zeller and Hawes and yes they are similar players.

Zeller has a mid-range game as well as attacking the basket and Hawes often slides through the paint for jump hooks and layups. Not identical obviously, but similar. I was clear from the start that Zeller is a more athletic guy who mixes it up down low and hustles while Hawes more an underachiever content to shoot 3's and avoid contact.

Stats also don't lie. Producing roughly the same PER and the same numbers per 36 minutes show they have similar impact from the same position and should be considered to have similar monetary value. The fact that Ainge gets Zeller on his roughly 2 million a year rookie deal over having to pay 5+ million MLE money for a comparable free agent liked Hawes is a steal for the Celtics.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, the Celts got a steal in Tyler Zeller.

But below is what you said that makes those two different.

"Zeller is a more athletic guy who mixes it up down low and hustles while Hawes more an underachiever content to shoot 3's and avoid contact."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Hilarious!!! Even when you guys basically agree you guys will find some semantics to bicker about.

Zeller is a nice young player that could be a nice piece in Stevens style as both a long rebounder and a big to back up ball hawking guards. He's also decent passer for a center. The trade is a total win win IMO

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hilarious!!! Even when you guys basically agree you guys will find some semantics to bicker about.

Zeller is a nice young player that could be a nice piece in Stevens style as both a long rebounder and a big to back up ball hawking guards. He's also decent passer for a center. The trade is a total win win IMO

[/QUOTE]

Now you understand why there's bickering.

He says Hawes is an underachiever who avoids contact while T-Zell mixes it up down low and hustles.

So how could two players having different styles be similar! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

At worst, Zeller is a low cost 5 who can probably play 25+ mins. and average 8 points and 5 rebounds.  They got the guy as a trade throw-in but he happens to actually have some skill and fills a need.  It will be nice to have a legit 7-footer available to take the brunt of the minutes.  If the rest of the minutes come from Iverson or Fav, plus some combination of Olynyk and Sullinger, fine.  Sullinger and Olynyk won't have to play the 5 more than a few mins. a night, which is great.   

Sections
Shortcuts