underestimating the potential of this years team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill. Show JamezHill's posts

underestimating the potential of this years team

Call me absolutely crazy, but I feel a lot of you guys are underselling on what this team is capable of this year. We have good players, not a bunch of scrubs, and I expect us to be much better this season IF HEALTHY.

1. Rondo - Year back from knee surgery, and in a contract year. Showed a better shooting touch last year, really should have a huge year. (Smart, Pressey, backups with good potential as well. Smart elite defensively already.)

2. Bradley - If he can stay healthy, causes havoc for opposing guards and also has a promising offensive game coming along. Could do much worse at starting 2. ( Marcus Thornton is a 13 ppg guy off the bench. VALUE. Young, I save judgment bc I haven't seen him play enough.)

3. Jeff Green - Once again, the x factor. Losing hope in his ability to be consistent, but we all know the potential is there. If he can somehow get his mindset right, he changes this whole Celtics team. Remember, not everyone gets it right away. I know Jeff has been in this league awhile, but this is really only year 2 where he is asked to be "the guy".  (Wallace, bleh. hope his contract is traded, but def not the worst option at backup 3.)

4. Sullinger - x factor 2. opinions on him vary but in my eyes he is a stud. Has a very unique knack for the basketball, one of the best offensive rebounders in the nba already. Also developing a pretty good offensive game. No question this guy can and should be an allstar in the next couple years. ( Olynyk, developing a decent game, can do some things most bigs cant [ex passing]. When played in the right position he can be very affective.)

5. Zeller - 7 foot Center with offense. Did not have this last year. Allows us to play our other bigs in their better suited 4 positions. Steal for Danny Ainge.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill. Show JamezHill's posts

Re: underestimating the potential of this years team

Im not trying to say this team should challenge the Cavs in the East. Just saying all is not doom and gloom. We have a coach who is proving he will get the absolute best out of his guys, and with one year under his belt are we really not expecting to see better results with better players?

of course, HEALTH is the giant wildcard in all of this. Cannot project that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

In response to JamezHill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Im not trying to say this team should challenge the Cavs in the East. Just saying all is not doom and gloom. We have a coach who is proving he will get the absolute best out of his guys, and with one year under his belt are we really not expecting to see better results with better players?

[/QUOTE]

I don't think the change/addition in players was of anything significant, as it stands right now. Yeah, they may get us a slightly better record, along with a full season with Rondo, but that isn't what C's fans want. Not interested in middle of the pack, or being good enough to knock us out of a top 5 pick. We have the assets, now we need the talent. The only sure sign for me that this team is ready to start challenging again.... when we get a go-to guy and rim protector. I'm not knocking our team. I like what DA has done to date. But it's baby steps.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill. Show JamezHill's posts

In response to DrBoogiebone's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think the change/addition in players was of anything significant, as it stands right now. Yeah, they may get us a slightly better record, along with a full season with Rondo, but that isn't what C's fans want. Not interested in middle of the pack, or being good enough to knock us out of a top 5 pick. We have the assets, now we need the talent. The only sure sign for me that this team is ready to start challenging again.... when we get a go-to guy and rim protector. I'm not knocking our team. I like what DA has done to date. But it's baby steps.

[/QUOTE]

I think the diff between us and most middle of the  pack teams is we are in the unique position to have extreme cap space next summer to make major moves. So as a Free Agent, are you more inclined to take a team from the basement and try to rise them up or take a team already on the first floor, that are 2 pieces away from contendership.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

That's assuming Rondo will be back for this coming season.

Only reason why Rondo is still a Celtic is because Ainge is still hoping to get Kevin Love.

Once Kevin Love to Boston is not possible anymore, Rondo will be gone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Rondo also had his worst shooting % of his career last season.

So I don't understand why Rondo showed a better shooting touch last season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill. Show JamezHill's posts

In response to FierceBrand's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's assuming Rondo will be back for this coming season.

Only reason why Rondo is still a Celtic is because Ainge is still hoping to get Kevin Love.

Once Kevin Love to Boston is not possible anymore, Rondo will be gone.

[/QUOTE]

Man, I feel like posters have been doing this "When this happens, Rondo is gone" thing since 2009, and yet, the dude is still here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill. Show JamezHill's posts

[QUOTE]

Rondo also had his worst shooting % of his career last season.

So I don't understand why Rondo showed a better shooting touch last season.

[/QUOTE]

he shot more. more 3's, more shots that he wasn't used to taking. He didn't make them all, but the willingness to consistently take the shot is promising. And there's no question, he has def started to make teams think twice about going under screens like they used to. The previous formula for defending Rondo does not work anymore.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

[QUOTE]

Man, I feel like posters have been doing this "When this happens, Rondo is gone" thing since 2009, and yet, the dude is still here.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know about 2009, but it was in 2011 when a lot of the fans here, myself included, want Rondo traded after a poor start by the Celtics.

Chris Bosh got a max contract.

No way Rondo will not want the max and the Celts will not give him the max if the Celts can't get another star player like Kevin Love.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill. Show JamezHill's posts

But in any case, the thread wasn't created to discuss who will be here and who wont be here. It was created to discuss the current teams potential. Rondo is still a part of the current Celtics team. He is team captain, in fact.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill. Show JamezHill's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't know about 2009, but it was in 2011 when a lot of the fans here, myself included, want Rondo traded after a poor start by the Celtics.

Chris Bosh got a max contract.

No way Rondo will not want the max and the Celts will not give him the max if the Celts can't get another star player like Kevin Love.

[/QUOTE]

It was as early as 2010, bc i fondly, beautifully remember the playoff run the Celtics made and Rondo's brilliant play during those playoffs shut you guys up for awhile. LMAO

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

[QUOTE]

he shot more. more 3's, more shots that he wasn't used to taking. He didn't make them all, but the willingness to consistently take the shot is promising. And there's no question, he has def started to make teams think twice about going under screens like they used to. The previous formula for defending Rondo does not work anymore.

[/QUOTE]

What I didn't like was his FT% was down last season compared to the previous season.

Late in games, Brad Stevens uses Rondo to inbound the ball, just like Doc.

Just like Doc, Stevens is avoiding letting Rondo get to the FT line late in games.

I think Rondo will excel if he has multiple All-Stars surrounding him.

But last season he was the best player on the team.

He tried shooting more, but it's not one of his strengths.

That's why his shooting % was just 40%.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

[QUOTE]

It was as early as 2010, bc i fondly, beautifully remember the playoff run the Celtics made and Rondo's brilliant play during those playoffs shut you guys up for awhile. LMAO

[/QUOTE]

That was the 2011-12 season, after the lockout.

In 2010 it was Ray Allen that the fans here wanted to trade.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

[QUOTE]

But in any case, the thread wasn't created to discuss who will be here and who wont be here. It was created to discuss the current teams potential. Rondo is still a part of the current Celtics team. He is team captain, in fact.

[/QUOTE]

If the Celts don't get Kevin Love, Ainge will once again dump the veteran players, like Bass and Green, and go for tankapalooza 2.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Pointless to talk about trading Rondo.  If we get Love, we won't.  And if we don't get Love, we have to see how he comes back.  Plays well - higher value.  Doesn't play well - no max contract.

Gets injured again - bye bye

I agree with Jamez, that it's kind of a win-win here.

I'm going to sit back, see what other moves are made, and root for my men in Green.

The thing, as I've said a hundred times is - what team needs Rondo.

And, I caution all who say to just let him walk, because with both Nash and Lin off the books next year, he'll walk right to LA for nothing...........

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill. Show JamezHill's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What I didn't like was his FT% was down last season compared to the previous season.

Late in games, Brad Stevens uses Rondo to inbound the ball, just like Doc.

Just like Doc, Stevens is avoiding letting Rondo get to the FT line late in games.

I think Rondo will excel if he has multiple All-Stars surrounding him.

But last season he was the best player on the team.

He tried shooting more, but it's not one of his strengths.

That's why his shooting % was just 40%.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, I def don't think his strength is shooting the ball. I just don't place such a high importance on that as others do, especially considering the other ways Rondo impacts a game without scoring. Would like to see him improve that ft%, as it IS pivotal in late game situations.

I also think he will excel with multiple all stars around him. Lol, who wouldn't? I disagree with the rest tho, I think he has been the best player on the team since at least 2010. I think the 2009 playoffs were his coming out party.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pointless to talk about trading Rondo.  If we get Love, we won't.  And if we don't get Love, we have to see how he comes back.  Plays well - higher value.  Doesn't play well - no max contract.

I'm going to sit back, see what other moves are made, and root for my men in Green.

And, I caution all who say to just let him walk, because with both Nash and Lin off the books next year, he'll walk right to LA for nothing...........

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

As long as Rondo's healthy, he will be asking for the max because a team like the Lakers are desperate, so desperate that they will give Rondo the max.

Rondo has nothing to prove.

Everybody already saw how Rondo made a successful comeback last season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

Call me absolutely crazy, but I feel a lot of you guys are underselling on what this team is capable of this year. We have good players, not a bunch of scrubs, and I expect us to be much better this season IF HEALTHY.

1. Rondo - Year back from knee surgery, and in a contract year. Showed a better shooting touch last year, really should have a huge year. (Smart, Pressey, backups with good potential as well. Smart elite defensively already.)

2. Bradley - If he can stay healthy, causes havoc for opposing guards and also has a promising offensive game coming along. Could do much worse at starting 2. ( Marcus Thornton is a 13 ppg guy off the bench. VALUE. Young, I save judgment bc I haven't seen him play enough.)

3. Jeff Green - Once again, the x factor. Losing hope in his ability to be consistent, but we all know the potential is there. If he can somehow get his mindset right, he changes this whole Celtics team. Remember, not everyone gets it right away. I know Jeff has been in this league awhile, but this is really only year 2 where he is asked to be "the guy".  (Wallace, bleh. hope his contract is traded, but def not the worst option at backup 3.)

4. Sullinger - x factor 2. opinions on him vary but in my eyes he is a stud. Has a very unique knack for the basketball, one of the best offensive rebounders in the nba already. Also developing a pretty good offensive game. No question this guy can and should be an allstar in the next couple years. ( Olynyk, developing a decent game, can do some things most bigs cant [ex passing]. When played in the right position he can be very affective.)

5. Zeller - 7 foot Center with offense. Did not have this last year. Allows us to play our other bigs in their better suited 4 positions. Steal for Danny Ainge.

[/QUOTE]

Could be a 500 team if everything goes right. But prob not...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill. Show JamezHill's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Could be a 500 team if everything goes right. But prob not...

[/QUOTE]

lol, perfect example of a complete undersell. How can you look at this current roster and say at best its a .500 team? I think people A. forget how good a healthy Rondo can be, B. disregard how good Rondo and Bradley have been together and C. Discount the potential uprise of Sullinger of Green.

just wait and see.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If the Celts don't get Kevin Love, Ainge will once again dump the veteran players, like Bass and Green, and go for tankapalooza 2.

[/QUOTE]

This I agree with. He'll need to do that to not only tank, but to free up $ to sign at LEAST one max guy to convince Rondo to stay. The more I think about it that to me is starting to be an option. Keep Rondo the whole year. Move Green, Bass, and MAYBE Wallace so as to free up as much money as possible. Sign AT LEAST one max guy out of next years class to go with Rondo, then maybe move some picks to acquire the 3rd guy. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That was the 2011-12 season, after the lockout.

In 2010 it was Ray Allen that the fans here wanted to trade.

[/QUOTE]  Not all of us!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

I don't believe Rondo or Jeff Green will be on this team very long.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

In the current roster? I think there is NO way to compete...still a lottery bound team....say bet 6 & 7th pick again. But this may change....i don't think Danny is sleeping and dormant. He will make his move.... soon

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ainge will trade Green and Bass if it improves his future positioning, irrespective of getting Kevin Love.  After all, he offered Bass to Golden State for their trade exception.  He was trading Bass to create a trade exception for the future.

The pitch to Rondo is not Bass and Green.  The best case scenario is that Rondo becomes stronger and has a good season, Sullinger, Olynyk, Smart and Young all make good improvements and AB stays healthy and has a good year.  Then Rondo and others get pitched the future on the basis of current roster and the stash of draft picks.

Sections
Shortcuts