underestimating the potential of this years team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: underestimating the potential of this years team

Nah, I don't see it. If this team wants to compete for championships again, they have a PG that is very unique, and does make the players around him better. 

Sully might be a very good piece on a championship team, but if he is not in shape, he is a nice 8th or 9th man option on a championship team.

Oly is a nice 6th or 7th man...ditto AB

Green is simply too unreliable to get minutes on a championship team.

This team needs 2 more drafts of Top 5 talent and then they are ready to be ready. ( I love the line, they are 2 years away from being 2 years away)

Simply put they have. 2 players with championship talent, RR and Sully, and Sully is seemingly wasting that talent. Everyone else is a nice role player on a great team, not a building block or key piece

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

In response to JamezHill's comment:

Call me absolutely crazy, but I feel a lot of you guys are underselling on what this team is capable of this year. We have good players, not a bunch of scrubs, and I expect us to be much better this season IF HEALTHY.

1. Rondo - Year back from knee surgery, and in a contract year. Showed a better shooting touch last year, really should have a huge year. (Smart, Pressey, backups with good potential as well. Smart elite defensively already.)

2. Bradley - If he can stay healthy, causes havoc for opposing guards and also has a promising offensive game coming along. Could do much worse at starting 2. ( Marcus Thornton is a 13 ppg guy off the bench. VALUE. Young, I save judgment bc I haven't seen him play enough.)

3. Jeff Green - Once again, the x factor. Losing hope in his ability to be consistent, but we all know the potential is there. If he can somehow get his mindset right, he changes this whole Celtics team. Remember, not everyone gets it right away. I know Jeff has been in this league awhile, but this is really only year 2 where he is asked to be "the guy".  (Wallace, bleh. hope his contract is traded, but def not the worst option at backup 3.)

4. Sullinger - x factor 2. opinions on him vary but in my eyes he is a stud. Has a very unique knack for the basketball, one of the best offensive rebounders in the nba already. Also developing a pretty good offensive game. No question this guy can and should be an allstar in the next couple years. ( Olynyk, developing a decent game, can do some things most bigs cant [ex passing]. When played in the right position he can be very affective.)

5. Zeller - 7 foot Center with offense. Did not have this last year. Allows us to play our other bigs in their better suited 4 positions. Steal for Danny Ainge.

Its hard to call you crazy when we dont know what your predicting. You say  a lot of us are underestimating them, What do you consider underestimated? Do you think they are a 500 team as is? Cuz if you do, then you are crazy. This is a 30-35 win team next season  TOPS. Def another lottery season.

I would be dissapointed if we cant get klove here, especially since it seems love would actually sign here long term, we have SO MANY pieces to make  trades be it picks/salary/good young players. There should be a combination that works, even if it involves a 3rd team.

Now with lebron going to cleveland the east is wide open (especially if melo takes the money as predicted and avoids making the bulls an excellent team, tho gasol will def help) With rondo and love they will be in the discussion, this will also allow most of our remaining players to become more complimenatry pieces (like ab/jgreen sully or ko whichever is left) that they are more suited for.  

I predict if we CANT get him, rondo is gone at the trade deadline and then we are going to be stuck in a really long 3-4 years of rebuilding until we even become a decent playoff team.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

In response to FierceBrand's comment:

he shot more. more 3's, more shots that he wasn't used to taking. He didn't make them all, but the willingness to consistently take the shot is promising. And there's no question, he has def started to make teams think twice about going under screens like they used to. The previous formula for defending Rondo does not work anymore.

What I didn't like was his FT% was down last season compared to the previous season.

Late in games, Brad Stevens uses Rondo to inbound the ball, just like Doc.

Just like Doc, Stevens is avoiding letting Rondo get to the FT line late in games.

I think Rondo will excel if he has multiple All-Stars surrounding him.

But last season he was the best player on the team.

He tried shooting more, but it's not one of his strengths.

That's why his shooting % was just 40%.

I think his fg% was obv effected by his injury, he had SO MUCH trouble finishing at the rim last season,which is usually a strength of his and I think he ended up settling for more jumpers. I think this season you will see him much closer to his  career 48%.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

In response to CHEisCHE's comment:

In the current roster? I think there is NO way to compete...still a lottery bound team....say bet 6 & 7th pick again. But this may change....i don't think Danny is sleeping and dormant. He will make his move.... soon

Agreed, except that everyone thought he wasn't finished last off-season when we had a log-jam at the PF position. No one thought he would go in to the season like that. Shouldn't make a move JUST to make a move. If it's there, jump on it. Or see what you can formulate. Don't force anything out of desperation. Like I mentioned above, "baby steps". If you can't get anything big happening, at least it's important to continue forward motion. I really like our GM and the moves he's making. I also like his patience.

And yes, I know this isn't "What about Bob".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Well, according to updated LV odds, the Celtics as of today would finish the season tied for eighth worst team in the NBA, which indeed would be a slight improvement from last year.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Well, according to updated LV odds, the Celtics as of today would finish the season tied for eighth worst team in the NBA, which indeed would be a slight improvement from last year.  

God I hope that doesn't happen!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill. Show JamezHill's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Nah, I don't see it. If this team wants to compete for championships again, they have a PG that is very unique, and does make the players around him better. 

Sully might be a very good piece on a championship team, but if he is not in shape, he is a nice 8th or 9th man option on a championship team.

This team needs 2 more drafts of Top 5 talent and then they are ready to be ready. ( I love the line, they are 2 years away from being 2 years away)

Simply put they have. 2 players with championship talent, RR and Sully, and Sully is seemingly wasting that talent. Everyone else is a nice role player on a great team, not a building block or key piece

There seems to be a common theme amongst C's fans that Olynyk is better than Sullinger. Is that accurate?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

There seems to be a common theme amongst C's fans that Olynyk is better than Sullinger. Is that accurate?

No, that is not my opinion. Sully, if in shape could be a vital piece on a championship team. Oly IMO is a complimentary piece on a championship team. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill. Show JamezHill's posts

No, that is not my opinion. Sully, if in shape could be a vital piece on a championship team. Oly IMO is a complimentary piece on a championship team. 

okay. I agree.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

During most of last season, I would have disagreed. But with the way Oly finished the last 2 months of the season, I wouldn't count him out. I think Oly showed a higher ceiling then Sully those last 2 months. still tough to tell at this point. Both still need a lot of work on their bodies. Their games are coming along. But too, hopefully with the addition of Zeller, Sully can improve his play at his natural position. He just may become the legit 10/10 guy everyone thinks he can be.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Call me absolutely crazy, but I feel a lot of you guys are underselling on what this team is capable of this year. We have good players, not a bunch of scrubs, and I expect us to be much better this season IF HEALTHY.

1. Rondo - Year back from knee surgery, and in a contract year. Showed a better shooting touch last year, really should have a huge year. (Smart, Pressey, backups with good potential as well. Smart elite defensively already.)

2. Bradley - If he can stay healthy, causes havoc for opposing guards and also has a promising offensive game coming along. Could do much worse at starting 2. ( Marcus Thornton is a 13 ppg guy off the bench. VALUE. Young, I save judgment bc I haven't seen him play enough.)

3. Jeff Green - Once again, the x factor. Losing hope in his ability to be consistent, but we all know the potential is there. If he can somehow get his mindset right, he changes this whole Celtics team. Remember, not everyone gets it right away. I know Jeff has been in this league awhile, but this is really only year 2 where he is asked to be "the guy".  (Wallace, bleh. hope his contract is traded, but def not the worst option at backup 3.)

4. Sullinger - x factor 2. opinions on him vary but in my eyes he is a stud. Has a very unique knack for the basketball, one of the best offensive rebounders in the nba already. Also developing a pretty good offensive game. No question this guy can and should be an allstar in the next couple years. ( Olynyk, developing a decent game, can do some things most bigs cant [ex passing]. When played in the right position he can be very affective.)

5. Zeller - 7 foot Center with offense. Did not have this last year. Allows us to play our other bigs in their better suited 4 positions. Steal for Danny Ainge.

We are already better than last year, the recent pickups Zeller is our best center and Thornton is the best guard we  have.  Rondo return and Jeff Green's experience last year, our inability to rid ourselves of Bass, we are better but it will not translate to a lot more wins,mabey a run at the 8th seed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In response to FierceBrand's comment:

That's assuming Rondo will be back for this coming season.

Only reason why Rondo is still a Celtic is because Ainge is still hoping to get Kevin Love.

Once Kevin Love to Boston is not possible anymore, Rondo will be gone.

Did Danny told you that?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to debrit's comment:

Did Danny told you that?

Just stating the obvious.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Rondo/Smart   Smart/Bradley   Thornton/ Green    Sully/K O     Zeller/ Fav/ KO      Mix Young in some    These are guys that need to play.  The rest should rest on the bench.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

No.....we're NOT underestimating anything. The FACTS are that you have MAYBE.....1 .....allstar on that roster. That's if RR has a great year even. Listen.....they'll compete. They'll even win they're share of games. But at the end of the day they will come up short most of the time. They have no finishers, and STILL....even with Zeller, no rim protectors. Your looking at MAX.....40 wins, and most likely 30/35 wins.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

I still think that Ainge messed up by not drafting Vonleh. Drafting Smart was redundant.  That's why I am not optimistic about this team. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If the team can't lure any free agents and decides to tank again than we'll be watching more horrid basketball.  I think we may beyond that point though, going forward the team may try to win as many games as possible, showcase their best players and appear like a good landing spot for free agents in 15.'

I for one am going to enjoy watching the youngsters this year, it wasn't easy to enjoy the revolving door of starters and free agent rentals last season but hopefully this year is different.  As NBA fans we constantly look outside for answers, sometimes the answers come from within, a great coach, system and talent emerges.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I hope the young guys are hungry.

I hope the guys in contract years have paid attention to this off-season.

For most of this team, this is a very important year.

The NBA will pay you if you perform......so - GO OUT and perform.

I believe we can be like the Wiz.......in a year or so.  Missing a key piece or two,.......adding vets like Gortat, Nene and now PP.  PHI is a mess, and ORL is still rebuilding.  We are closer than they are.  BKN?  One more year at a high level........MIA?  Them, too.

Now is the time - go out and get paid - perform - this will be a fun year.  Frustrating, maybe, but fun.

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

I think we are not underestimating unlike so many who were overestimating last year.  I think we are going to be worse because some guys will be traded, the young players will play more, and much of the East are a little bit improved.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to scubber's comment:

I think we are not underestimating unlike so many who were overestimating last year.  I think we are going to be worse because some guys will be traded, the young players will play more, and much of the East are a little bit improved.

Even last year's team, had they played their best players, could have won ten or more games then they did, instead in the name of progress they showcased players for trade in the hopes of moving them while teaching the youngsters.  This year instead of rationing minutes to the young talent hopefully they'll let them play and provide a nice landing spot for disgruntled stars.  We might see improvement from this squad depending on how the front office plays it?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Zeller, Smart, Young are excellent young players.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

You sir are delusional.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

You sir are delusional.

good analysis. 

Sections
Shortcuts