Understanding the past

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGBeast. Show KGBeast's posts

Understanding the past

Watching this episodereally illuminates how strong we were perceived to be in the front court up to the Perkins trade:

Shaq 
    Jermaine O'Neil
    Semi Erden
    Kendrick Perkins
    Troy Murphy
    Luke Harrangody (F)
    Kevin Garnett (F)
    Glenn Davis (F)

Seems like everyone was healthy again, and the (perhaps naive) sentiment was that Shaq would recover to a sufficient fraction of what he once was and make impact in the playoffs. Look at our situation. If you have two healthy O'Neils and backups, do you absolutely need Perk? What was our need?

Definitely a backup for Pierce.

SF: Paul Pierce, and ... ?

Marquis Daniels went down two weeks earlier on Feb 6. There was noone else. 

So, I think that its unfortunate that Shaq was a waste, Jermain wasn't enough, Semi didn't develop and Doc didn't discover the KG at starting center brilliance.
    I think it was a good trade at the time, especially in retrospect. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGBeast. Show KGBeast's posts

Re: Understanding the past

Of course, you would have liked to see the O'Neils go instead, keeping our UNIT of Rondo, Ray, Pierce, KG, Perk in-tact. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shonasty. Show shonasty's posts

In response to Understanding the past:

Of course, you would have liked to see the O'Neils go instead, keeping our UNIT of Rondo, Ray, Pierce, KG, Perk in-tact. 

From my perspective, the Perkins trade was not one of Danny Ainge's best moves. I think they could have gotten an athletic player to play the back up 3/4 without trading away Perkins. Beasely could have been aquiried from Minnesota for a draft pick for a few seasons, for instance. Maybe Jeff Green proves this line of thought wrong this year, but so far, he hasn't been worth sacrificing what was once a great defensive front line, that wasn't so easily out-rebounded. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shonasty. Show shonasty's posts

Still a bad trade, the Celtics have yet to recover from it. Kevin Garnett has been out of piosition ever since they tried and failed to replace Perkins with Shaq and Oneil. Now they have an undersized front line that any team with a little size is going to be trouble for.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Understanding the past:

Still a bad trade, the Celtics have yet to recover from it. Kevin Garnett has been out of piosition ever since they tried and failed to replace Perkins with Shaq and Oneil. Now they have an undersized front line that any team with a little size is going to be trouble for.

Where were you last season, in the Louisiana Bayou. KG played some of his best basketball in recent years when he shifted over to the center position this year. It's obvious the Celts needs size but to suggest that Perk was an effective big man is not reality. Granted he did play tough defense for the Celts but he has limited to almost no mobility, can't pass, has no offensive game to speak of despite being in the league as long as he has and still hasn't developed any offense, is a below average rebounder for a true big man, etc. Should I go on. The trade was long ago, please get on with life. 

Hetch

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts