Understanding who Doc is.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Re: Understanding who Doc is.....

In response to RallyC's comment:

Doc's done less than a "good job" for having 3-HOFers and a perennial All-Star PG for 4 of a  starting 5. Truly, there have been other coaches who have done more with less. But today, you are probably right, I don't see many options and we could certainly do worse.

Really?  Well, here are the injuries that Doc has faced.  KG going out in the second year in Boston.  Perkins knee injury in the finals along with a hobbled KG.  Take that away and you will be saying something very different about Doc.

He has a championship, a finals trip and two trips to East finals to his credit. And why don't you give some specific examples of coaches that have consistently done more with less.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to prakash's comment:

Doc's done less than a "good job" for having 3-HOFers and a perennial All-Star PG for 4 of a  starting 5. Truly, there have been other coaches who have done more with less. But today, you are probably right, I don't see many options and we could certainly do worse.

Really? You want me to give you the littany of one time champs who didn't have 3-HOFers on their team. Dude, the list is endless. With 3-HOFers in your starting line-up, excuses dont fly man....

Really?  Well, here are the injuries that Doc has faced.  KG going out in the second year in Boston.  Perkins knee injury in the finals along with a hobbled KG.  Take that away and you will be saying something very different about Doc.

He has a championship, a finals trip and two trips to East finals to his credit. And why don't you give some specific examples of coaches that have consistently done more with less.

Really? the list of one time champion Coaches of teams with less than 3-HOFers on them is waaaaaaaaaay too long to list man. Come on, with 3-HOFers on the team at the same time, there are no excuses for just 1! Think about it. As a matter of fact, I wonder how many times a team with 3-HOFers on the team at the same time for multiple years hasn't won more than one Championship? It may only be us!...........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Really? You want me to give you the littany of one time champs who didn't have 3-HOFers on their team. Dude, the list is endless. With 3-HOFers in your starting line-up, excuses dont fly man....

Really? the list of one time champion Coaches of teams with less than 3-HOFers on them is waaaaaaaaaay too long to list man. Come on, with 3-HOFers on the team at the same time, there are no excuses for just 1! Think about it.

I think that you still owe me a mention of some coaches that have done more with less than what Doc has done.  In my book, Doc has won a championship and got hit by some pretty bad injury luck to not do be able to do more.  Also, I have made specific mantion of some great coaches, Phil Jackson and Popovich, but I have said that they also got dealt a better hand.

In your book, who equates to Doc?  Rick Carlyle?  Name some names so that we can compare, instead of just exchanging impressions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Really? the list of one time champion Coaches of teams with less than 3-HOFers on them is waaaaaaaaaay too long to list man. Come on, with 3-HOFers on the team at the same time, there are no excuses for just 1! Think about it.

I think that you still owe me a mention of some coaches that have done more with less than what Doc has done.  In my book, Doc has won a championship and got hit by some pretty bad injury luck to not do be able to do more.  Also, I have made specific mantion of some great coaches, Phil Jackson and Popovich, but I have said that they also got dealt a better hand.

In your book, who equates to Doc?  Rick Carlyle?  Name some names so that we can compare, instead of just exchanging impressions.

Dude, EVERY coach who has won a Championship with less than 3-HOFers, and that would be most of the coaches who have won NBA championships, on their team have done more with less. That would be many. 
    Its true. I'm not gonna do the research work for you. Go check it out. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Dude, EVERY coach who has won a Championship with less than 3-HOFers on their team have done more with less. That would be many. I'm not gonna do the work for you. Go check it out. Its true.

No, that is chickening out.  Name two.  I am not asking that you produce a list.  Who are your specific examples of coaches that have done more with less than what Doc has?

Actually why should that question just go to you.  There are many here that think that Doc is a poor coach.  Perhaps they can provide examples of better coaches.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

Greg Popovich and Tommy Heinson.

Tommy Heinson won two championships in 74 and 76.  What was the quality of his roster?  Pretty good.  And he didn't get bit by the injury bug as badly as Doc.

I have already expressed my thoughts on Popovich.  His career started with David Robinson and has aligned with Duncan.  Along the way the Spurs have done a good job of identifying and develping talent.  They have had more roster consistency.  Yes, Pop is a great coach but he also has been playing a better hand.

You have been calling Doc a cr*ppy coach.  Then the alternative that you can come up with is Popovich.  Well, OK, I don't have much else to say.

Kudos to your start of Celtics game threads.  I am looking forward to seeing if you will be keeping up to your standards.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Great coaches optimize the talent they have.   In Miami's first year, they could not do what the Celts did in their first year of the big 3 (and most would argue that the Heat Big 3 were younger and better than the C's Big 3).   In the Lakers year of Nash, Kobe, Gasol, and Howard, they couldn't come together with a winning plan like the Celts.   Doc did it immediately.  There's talk about the great Thibbs.  He hasn't won anything and he has a young deep team.  He hasn't even gotten to the Finals!!!

doc developed an offensive and defensive scheme that produced 2 Finals appearances, 3 ECF appearances, and 1 championship in 5 years.....all despite a major knee injury to Garnett, a major injury to Perk at a critical time, Green and Wilcox having knee surgery, Ray having ankle problems again, Bradley having shoulder surgery and missing the rest of the playoffs, Shaq and JON going awol and missing the playoffs (JON might as well have been out), and Rondo missing the rest of a playoff series with shoulder separation.  This year, he's missing Rondo, Sully, and Barbosa .....and still winning.   Tell me Thibbs, who's had one injury, only, to deal with is as good when he's never even made it to the Finals!

coaches today deal with more turnover than the old days.  Free agency hurts teams and the coaches don't have the advantages of the old coaches like Riley and others.

As for young players, its amazing how this Board tries to rewrite history.  I remember when all of us (including me) wondered why Doc would play Bradley and not develop E'Twain Moore.  We criticized him only to realize Bradley was being developed and had massive talent.   Now we say Doc only played him due to injury.???  Get real.  We (including me) were wrong at the time!   doc doesn't develop young players?   How do you explaing Al Jefferson, Mike Miller, Corey Magette, Baby Davis, Rondo, Bradley, Sully, Ryan Gomes, Perkins, and Tony Allen who all developed under Doc Rivers?   

I love how pessimistic Celts fans on this Board are.  The coach said in the beginning at the beginning of the year that we could be a small ball team.  the Board laughed and ridIculed the idea.  Now we are winning that way (since our GM refused to get us a big man) and for winning using small ball, Celts fan say the Coach has no strategy.   We have CONSISTENTLY had a top 3 defense every year and the fans here say the Coach is not a good coach.

Amazing.   The Coach is not perfect.  I hate that we won't give Green more minutes but maybe I'm wrong because he is bringing Green along slowly after open heart surgery.   Amazing how fans try to rewrite history with criticisms that forget the facts above.