Undrafted

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenaboveGold. Show GreenaboveGold's posts

Undrafted

As expected there were players taken much higher than they should have, players taken lower than expected, player who should have never gotten drafted and players who deserved to be drafted but didn't. Overall, this was a good draft for the celtics, we got a big like we wanted and we got scoring on the wing. I like the idea of drafting two Senior rookies who came from the same school. that creates chemistry on the bench since they know each other well, plus they have some experience being seniors. That being said there are a few undrafted players that we should invite to training camp.

Matt Howard, F Buttler
    David Lighty G-F Ohia State
    Demitri Mccamey PG-SG Illinois
    just to name few, what do you guys think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Re: Undrafted

Yup. Great draft for the Cs.

Greg Smith ???

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RicoCeltics. Show RicoCeltics's posts

GREAT DRAFT??????? You got to be Danny Ainge in disguise.
    What is so "Great"  about it????? The second draft pick of the Nets?????
    Just saying...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

In Response to Re: Undrafted:
    [QUOTE]Yup. Great draft for the Cs. Greg Smith ???
    Posted by Eldunker[/QUOTE]

Danny better get on the phone right away to get this guy. Im suprised he went undrafted.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

still a little loud rico.  One question mark is plenty...the picture is getting old.

Both Johnson and Moore fill short term needs. They both have good all around games (unlike Marshon).  Both are excellent defensive players, good shooters averaging 20ppg for a very good Purdue team. They come together bringing positive chemistry.  They can contribute immediately.

Can you provide some constructive analysis, Rico.  Why do you not think this was a good draft? who would you have picked instead and why?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Nuff said?  We're talking about THIS draft Rico, not past history.
    Please explain why you think THIS was a poor draft by Danny and what would you do differently.

Your empty comments are irrelevant and so far you have offered no substance what so ever. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]still a little loud rico.  One question mark is plenty...the picture is getting old. Both Johnson and Moore fill short term needs. They both have good all around games (unlike Marshon).  Both are excellent defensive players, good shooters averaging 20ppg for a very good Purdue team. They come together bringing positive chemistry.  They can contribute immediately. Can you provide some constructive analysis, Rico.  Why do you not think this was a good draft? who would you have picked instead and why?
    Posted by Eldunker[/QUOTE]

Isn't that asking for too much?  I don't think that Rico is on this board for constructive reasons.  He will not tell you who the Celts should have picked instead.

I have seen both of these guys play a lot.  I think that the Celts have ended up with some really good players.  They still have a need for physical presence and it will be a tough requirement to fill.  But Danny has made the best of this situation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Look at Danny's track record that is all you have to do."

You forgot to mention Rajon Rondo, who was a steal at his position in the draft, and Al Jefferson, who turned into Kevin Garnett, and Delonte West, who turned into Ray Allen, that brought us a ring. 

In recent years the Celtics have not had a good drafting position. Show me a team drafting late in the first round each year that has done better than the Celts, aside from the Spurs. 

Ainge may not be the best drafter in the league but he is in the top five. 

His bigger problems have to do with spastic trade deadline deals. 

Ainge is far from perfect but you have no idea how good this draft was and you won't for a couple years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

Hey Rico your objectivity is non-existent and your negativity (all the time) is getting old, so why don't you just stick with assesing your Lakers' draft?!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

THAT'S REALLY WHAT BUGS HIM, THE LAKERS HAVE NO DRAFT...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPinoy. Show GreenPinoy's posts

yeah. rico is very annoying.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelitcsFoo. Show CelitcsFoo's posts

We did fine. Show me one GM who knocks it out of the park every draft. Think about it-you have eyes on a player, he tears it up in college, you have enough faith to pick him. He comes to town, signs a deal, gets his grip of $$ then realizes that the NBA is actually a job and doesn't have good work ethic because he dominated high school with little effort and college with just a little more. Then the kid cops an atitude, says no one understands him blah blah and there goes 2-3 years down the drain.
    I think that every GM wants to do the right thing, some have no luck or no clue, but to try to knock any GM for not having a great track record some of the time is not fair. A lot depends on the rookie. Some get it, some don't , some won't-they get their $$ and think that's it and create havoc from there. The poor GM looks like a clown because he fell for the dog and pony show put on by the agent and we call for his job to end.

Give Ainge some credit, he did ok with Rondo, Delonte, Perk, Big Al, Ryan Gomes, BBD, Leon Powe, maybe Semih (we'll never know I guess).

I liked this draft. Too bad the NBA is about to be shut down for who knows how long. Anyone remember the last lockout?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

DA was drafting 25.  What were the expectations? It was crap shoot.  We will be lucky to see either of these guys play any meaningful minutes.

Let's look at what DA and Doc do on the other stuff. Like preparing for this season and year beyond.  Draft choices 25 and 55 have next to no chance of being a factor going forward.  If they are we will be more than pleasantly surprised.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from N2thaIzzo. Show N2thaIzzo's posts

[QUOTE]Take the green glasses of Tommy Heinsohn, I mean Dunker. Look at Danny's track record that is all you have to do. Drafting J.R. Giddens over DeAndre Jordan in 2008 Avery Bradley Lester Hudson - is now playing in China. Gabe Pruitt Nuff said!!! Can't wait until we fire his ARSS.
    Posted by RicoCeltics[/QUOTE]

What about drafting Rajon Rondo, Al Jefferson, and Kendrick Perkins?  How about Delonte West, and Tony Allen?  How about drafting 2nd rounders such as Powe, Ryan Gomes, and Big Baby?  You can't look at only the "bad picks".  The story still hasn't been told with Avery Bradley yet. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Undrafted : I am too ... You see the video of him and Jordan Williams in a shoot around? It's only a shoot around, but the two guys look like clones of each other. Try to figure out who is who: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=m9m2oYRpnK8
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]
    I tried calling this morning and could not get through. However, I was able to write to them.
    http://www.nba.com/celtics/contact/contact-boston-celtics.html

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

I am pulling for Greg Smith as well

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Undrafted : What about drafting Rajon Rondo, Al Jefferson, and Kendrick Perkins?  How about Delonte West, and Tony Allen?  How about drafting 2nd rounders such as Powe, Ryan Gomes, and Big Baby?  You can't look at only the "bad picks".  The story still hasn't been told with Avery Bradley yet. 
    Posted by N2thaIzzo[/QUOTE]
    The problem is those are picks in the early years as GM.  Ainge has not done much of anything in the last 4-5 drafts. There is no reason to not continually get a few good talents to develop.  It seems the draft has been an afterthought for Danny with the Celtics contending.  We should have a few usuable pieces right about now from the last 5 drafts.  It is too much to ask these two rookies to do anything significant this year, again we should have a player or two from previous years to supplement our core players right now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldtimeCeltsFan. Show OldtimeCeltsFan's posts

Overall it was a very solid draft for us.  We needed a big....and we got one.  We needed a shooter of the bench.......and we got one.  We added a high second rounder to boot.  Nice draft day for the Celts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

invite Greedy Peterson to camp and let him run with Rondo....he is better than Marshon Brooks

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

The Warriors have apparently purchased the contract of Jeremy Tyler...................why can't we do that with Keith Benson?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I like Matt Howard. The guy is just all hustle and is comfortable doing the dirty work.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Because we do not have Jerry West as GM.  When it comes to nickles and dimes, we tend to try to save them than looking foward and develop young players.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from N2thaIzzo. Show N2thaIzzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Undrafted : The problem is those are picks in the early years as GM.  Ainge has not done much of anything in the last 4-5 drafts. There is no reason to not continually get a few good talents to develop.  It seems the draft has been an afterthought for Danny with the Celtics contending.  We should have a few usuable pieces right about now from the last 5 drafts.  It is too much to ask these two rookies to do anything significant this year, again we should have a player or two from previous years to supplement our core players right now.
    Posted by scubber[/QUOTE]

Let's look at the last 5 drafts (not including last nights)

2010:  Avery Bradley (19), Luke Harongody (52).  Bradley's story is still to be told 

2009:  Lester Hudson (58).  No 1st rounder.  Can't blame him here

2008:  JR Giddens (30), Semih Erden (60), Bill Walker.  Semih was decent, and Walker looks like he could develop.  Just couldn't wait on them

2007:  Flipped pick #5 into Ray Allen, Gabe Pruitt (32)

2006:  Rajon Rondo, Leon Powe

So really, you can only look at '08 as a failed draft.  If you wanna say we should have gotten Jordan over Pruitt, fine, I'll give you that.  Picking at the end of rounds are gambles.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Good point, maybe I am being too hard on Ainge, but I consider not keeping promising players and give them away for NOTHING (or almost nothing) also as a failure, how could you see that otherwise.  Another way of looking at it is that out of those 5 years, you got Rondo and about to retire Ray Allen for #5 pick, not one reserve or role player to be had from those years.  I also am thinking of 2006 #7 for Telfair and 2005 first round for Gerald Green.

For me, there were plenty of mistakes especially unwillingness to keep young players and tendencies to quickly drop them for seemingly a quick salary relief towards the end of the season.  Yes they are burden on your bottom line when you have no use for them the year you are contending, but then you pay later when your aging veterans just quit and drop like flies every year, and you have to go out and pay for more supporting casts. Last I look we are still paying Rasheed and Shaq salaries.