Unnecessary Spending

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Unnecessary Spending

The Celtics are VERY close to the cap.

Other than the contending tax paying years where they were obviously going to be well over, they have played this cap game in all the other years Danny has been GM. It should be obvious we will dance around it again. 

Fiercy once said no good free agents will sign here b/c the last time the Celtics had money to sign guys in 2003 we could only sign Scal. That was off course Fiercy BS. Not only did he "forget" Scal wasn't signed until 2005 (Doh!) he also neglected to understand this team did not have cap space in 2003, 2004 OR 2004. They had a couple million a year, where they signed a guy like Dickau to get to the cap, acquired the MLE, and used it on a guy like Scal.

They can spend up to the cap to have the MLE if they want it, they are so close right now that it makes more sense to have the 6 million MLE in their pocket than be 3-4 million under. But I agree that they should not enter into long-term contracts with anyone. Probably nothing more than a year. Two years max, but only 2 if Danny feels the summer of 2016 is the one he will make free agency noise in. 

The TPE was more of an option if we got Love. If will probably be allowed to expire now, unless another team pays us to use it (draft pick, cheap young asset, etc.) to absorb a one year expiring like Jeremy Lin.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Here is where they are right now with a 63.2 million with recent projections I have seen people throwing up on this board not always including these #'s as of right now:

1. Pressey's option. It should be a no-brainer, That is $816,482.

2. Johnson and Babb are 50/50 guys for roster spots in my opinion, I assume just one of them is back. $915,243 for Johnson. The same $816,482 for Babb that Pressey has.

3. The rookies. They will be paid 2.736 (Smart) and 1.395 (Young)

4. Avery Bradley. We must assume 8 million per year, although it could be a contract with incremental raises like 7.25-7.75-8.25-8.75.

The cheapest we can be at would be Avery at around 7.25 and no Babb OR Johnson. That would put the Celtics at $60,703,208. Hardly Much to offer anyone at 2.5 million in space. Certainly not Jordan Hill. 

With Johnson back and Avery at 8 million the Celtics are at $62,368,451. They can't do anything in that case. Might as well front load Avery's deal to reach the cap then and there. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I would say adding Jordan Hill would only be advisable if it were a two year deal. 

Kris Humphries can be signed using Bird Right's exceeding even the 6 million MLE other's are likely going to be offering him. So Hump for one year 7-8 million would be better in my opinion than two years of Hill. 3 years of Hill or almost any mid-level free agent would be VERY unwise.

The Bogans non-guaranteed should still be used in a trade somehow.

Bass and his expiring as well as Anthony's are also probably in play.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:

It's also a waste of money to re-sign Hump.

The Celts still have Bass.

Oly, Sully, Bass, and you still want Hump?

All PF team?

That's called Déjà vu.  No need to sign Hump at this stage. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to CeltsFanInNH's comment:

That's called Déjà vu.  No need to sign Hump at this stage. 

True.

I'd rather give the roster spot to Colton Iverson.

We'll see if Iverson is now NBA ready 24 hours from now.

Fierce,

Boy are we going to stink.  How is it from a Love deal we went to team that is very likely to be worse next year. That dummy Grousbeck will be frowning on the sidelines all year with the lack of interest for the Celtics with this team. Especially without Rondo.  Those Nets draft picks(my contention is the Nets will stink) for me were the ticket Danny needed to get a quick rebuild.  I guess I was wrong.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

I think the Celts should hold off on signing players using the MLE or acquire player or players using the 10.3m TPE.

Why?

Next season FA big men like LaMarcus Aldridge, Marc Gasol, Brook Lopez, and Kevin Love are going to become free-agents.

While Rondo should be traded, I think the Celts should only trade Rondo for 1st round picks.

Taking back a contract or contracts for Rondo hurts the Celts' cap flexibility for next summer.

And even if the Celts don't make any moves this summer, Rondo, Bass, and Joel Anthony all have expiring deals which total 23.6m.

So why waste money on a player like Spencer Hawes?

If Ainge wants Jordan Hill then Ainge should trade Bass for a 2nd rounder then use the removed salary of Bass to sign Jordan Hill.

Using the MLE on Jordan Hill will mean an additional 5.3m added to the Celts' payroll for next season.

The Celtics are better off waiting for next summer to make a big splash in free-agency.

I like your idea on Jordan Hill , Bass is a progress stopper at this point and Sullinger has proven his ceiling is higher than Bass's anyway......I think we could get more for Bass though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Celts only have 31.47m in total guaranteed salaries next season.

And that already includes Jeff Green opting in for the final year of his contract.

Prediction:

Green plays his entire contract for the C's then leaves...only to never start again for an NBA team, and never to be paid more than $5 mill/season thereafter...and NOT by the C's...nobody, not even the GM who over payed for him, wants him anymore.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

Celts only have 31.47m in total guaranteed salaries next season.

And that already includes Jeff Green opting in for the final year of his contract.

With some of the salaries being paid out to wing players the past few days - J. Green could opt out next summer - especially if he has a solid season!

Green have a solid season?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Only Danny Strange GM was dumb enough to overpay this gutless stiff!

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

Fierce,

Boy are we going to stink.  How is it from a Love deal we went to team that is very likely to be worse next year. That dummy Grousbeck will be frowning on the sidelines all year with the lack of interest for the Celtics with this team. Especially without Rondo.  Those Nets draft picks(my contention is the Nets will stink) for me were the ticket Danny needed to get a quick rebuild.  I guess I was wrong.

This is usually what happens when you go from one generation to the next.

The last time the Celts' Big 3 of Bird, Parish, and McHale were done, it took the Celts 21 years to get back to the Finals.

Hopefully it will less than 21 years this time around.

I hear you but that period was also interspersed with pretty bad management.

Aside, when I look at the free agent signings, players are not sacrificing money to win.  So that trend should continue.  With the luxury tax rules, the new formula could be to stash draft picks/younger players around stars.  The older formula of surrounding stars with low cost veterans will probably not work.

It makes sense to me that the Celts use this year to develop players and then try to sign a couple of free agents next year, with the lure of continued stash of draft picks and talented young players.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

I think the Celts should hold off on signing players using the MLE or acquire player or players using the 10.3m TPE.

Why?

Next season FA big men like LaMarcus Aldridge, Marc Gasol, Brook Lopez, and Kevin Love are going to become free-agents.

While Rondo should be traded, I think the Celts should only trade Rondo for 1st round picks.

Taking back a contract or contracts for Rondo hurts the Celts' cap flexibility for next summer.

And even if the Celts don't make any moves this summer, Rondo, Bass, and Joel Anthony all have expiring deals which total 23.6m.

So why waste money on a player like Spencer Hawes?

If Ainge wants Jordan Hill then Ainge should trade Bass for a 2nd rounder then use the removed salary of Bass to sign Jordan Hill.

Using the MLE on Jordan Hill will mean an additional 5.3m added to the Celts' payroll for next season.

The Celtics are better off waiting for next summer to make a big splash in free-agency.

QFT, POTD

(for the textually impaired)

Quoted for Truth

Post of the Day

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to scubber's comment:

Plus 2 rookies this year and 2 more next year?

True.

Now you understand why I keep saying not to use the MLE.

Celts can barely afford 2 max players if they stay below the cap this season.

Using the MLE totally eliminates the possibility of signing 2 max players.

We don't have enough for 2 max players.  31.47m + 4 rookies contracts will approach 40m. OTH, if we did not sign AB, we would.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

We don't have enough for 2 max players.  31.47m + 4 rookies contracts will approach 40m. OTH, if we did not sign AB, we would.

True.

But Ainge can trade Jeff Green.

I know it's not that easy, but it would be more difficult if that 31.46m + 4 rookies will have another 5.3m of MLE added to it.

Basically what I'm saying is it's more difficult to have to trade Jeff Green and another MLE player than just finding a way to trade only Jeff Green.

if you really think about it...it's not that hard to trade a player making the MLE....almost everyone is making 5-6 mil a year...so it's not that bad..it's who you sign with the MLE.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

I no longer see top free agent coming to Boston or getting top alpha dog draft selections, so we are in a 20+ year slide again.  Why not be form a team that can compete and at least have a chance to win, throwing seasons is getting old and so am I, 72.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

That was what the Celtics did a lot in the 20+ years drought, reaching for a better short term gain trading away good very young players to occasionally make the playoffs.  Let's be patient and have longer view for the future.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

That was what the Celtics did a lot in the 20+ years drought, reaching for a better short term gain trading away good very young players to occasionally make the playoffs.  Let's be patient and have longer view for the future.

Agreed...I can't handle another team with the like of Curtis "SKID" Rowe and Sidney "Mail It In" Wicks.

Sections
Shortcuts