Use Perk to get that elusive SF

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Use Perk to get that elusive SF

I have been begging for Danny to get a tall SF who can defend, hit the occasional 3, and rest Paul since the day Posey left us.

Danny has responded with Tony Allen, Marquis Daniels and Von Wafer, all SG's.

PLEASE DANNY!!! Complete this team. Make a trade for a REAL SF.

With Shaq here Perk is no longer needed. Maybe he could return to full health by the playoffs and be a slightly better option than Shaq, but I doubt it. A quality 6th man SF for the entire season who can then share some defensive duties w/ PP in the playoffs is FAR more important then eventually working Perk back into the rotation.

Sheed, Perk and our #1 pick represent enough value and $ savings for someone to part with a player we'd really need. My #1 choice is Tayshaun Prince.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Re: Use Perk to get that elusive SF

In Response to Use Perk to get that elusive SF:
    I have been begging for Danny to get a tall SF who can defend, hit the occasional 3, and rest Paul since the day Posey left us. Danny has responded with Tony Allen, Marquis Daniels and Von Wafer, all SG's. PLEASE DANNY!!! Complete this team. Make a trade for a REAL SF. With Shaq here Perk is no longer needed. Maybe he could return to full health by the playoffs and be a slightly better option that Shaq, but I doubt it. A quality 6th man SF for the entire season who can then share some defensive duties w/ PP in the playoffs is FAR moere important then eventually working Perk back into the rotation. Sheed, Perk and our #1 pick represent enough value and $ savings for someone to part with a player we'd really need. My #1 choice is Tayshaun Prince.
    Posted by rameakap

I think Perk and his expiring become more valuable as the year goes on.  How about Sheed's ghost and a pick for Battier?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

In Response to Re: Use Perk to get that elusive SF:

In Response to Use Perk to get that elusive SF : I think Perk and his expiring become more valuable as the year goes on.  How about Sheed's ghost and a pick for Battier?
    Posted by hedleylamarr

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battier would be the best to add to this team. I think Houston is going to have to trade someone, hopefully its him

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

Good post.  I've been saying the same thing on other posts - Ainge could package either Perk or BBD with Sheed's contract and get a pretty good wing.  Not sure the C's even need to throw in a 1st.  Personally, I think I'd rather keep BBD, but I'm afraid Perk will be devalued because of the injury.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Perk does not have good trade value currently due to his knee injury. He is also a free agent at the end of the season.
         I have a gut feeling that Von Wafer will be a very good backup. He's big enough to play both 2 and 3 positions. He shot 39% from 3 point range in 09. He's also very athletic.
         Daniels is a solid backup. He lacks some skills, but the C's could do much worse for a reserve.
         IMO, I think the current C's team is set. Shaq sealed the summers dealings. Danny went out on a high note regarding this summers work.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Use Perk to get that elusive SF : I think Perk and his expiring become more valuable as the year goes on.  How about Sheed's ghost and a pick for Battier?
    Posted by hedleylamarr

Would do that in a heartbeat

Any SF who makes more than 8 million would need Perk or a Scal sign & trade

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

I agree. As I said in another string, I thought Sheed taking his time on his decision to retire may have forced Shaq's hand to take the vet minimum. That said, this is what we should know in the next week or so...

-If Shaq did indeed take the min?
    -Which bench contracts (Erden, Von Wafer, etc) are actually guaranteed?
    -If DA will be using Sheed's contract to get Battier or another SF?
    -If Sheed is actually retiring?

...Then DA can go golfing in Utah.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Perk does not have good trade value currently due to his knee injury. He is also a free agent at the end of the season.      I have a gut feeling that Von Wafer will be a very good backup. He's big enough to play both 2 and 3 positions. He shot 39% from 3 point range in 09. He's also very athletic.      Daniels is a solid backup. He lacks some skills, but the C's could do much worse for a reserve.      IMO, I think the current C's team is set. Shaq sealed the summers dealings. Danny went out on a high note regarding this summers work.
    Posted by mem17

They are fine for the regular season, and maybe Wafer will contribute in the playoffs b/c we'll need an offensive spark, but if we want to contend, we'll need a better SF

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon13. Show uncommon13's posts

Battier would be a great pickup. Hopefully Houston will deal him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Perk is a major part of the Celts and should not be traded for anyone not a allstar.  He is a major part of out future also.  His value is not undrstood by many on this board. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Gerald Wallace.

Perk and Sheed to Larry Brown with a draft pick for Gerald Wallace.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from VinniePapaGiorgio. Show VinniePapaGiorgio's posts

Perk is a major part of the Celts and should not be traded for anyone not a allstar.  He is a major part of out future also.  His value is not undrstood by many on this board. 
    Posted by maryngary

I agree, your gonna trade arguably your best defender for someone who is gonna come off the bench. No way that should happen. I think people are over estimating the impact that Shaq will have on the Celtics, either that or over reacting to Perks injury. Not to mention that both the O'Neals are both old men on the downside of their careers compared to Perk, who is getting better every year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Posted by maryngary

He is an expiring contract coming off major knee surgery. His value this season is  a complete unknown. I would be 99% sure that he would be a worse player than he was last year. Not including being out for 2/3 of the season. We have a loaded frontcourt. We desperately need a backup SF.

Perk can go to another team who gets a free 2 month looksie and can then re-sign him to a decent contract if they want him as their future center. Or maybe he returns here for the full MLE.

Either way, I'd rather have an entire season of a legit 6th man @ SF to save Paul wear and tear, then figure out what to do with 3 Centers in February.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bcgreen. Show bcgreen's posts

In Response to Re: Use Perk to get that elusive SF : I agree, your gonna trade arguably your best defender for someone who is gonna come off the bench. No way that should happen. I think people are over estimating the impact that Shaq will have on the Celtics, either that or over reacting to Perks injury. Not to mention that both the O'Neals are both old men on the downside of their careers compared to Perk, who is getting better every year.
    Posted by VinniePapaGiorgio

Perk is important to this team. JO has been terrible for the past few years. Look how he performed for miami this past post season when the C's played them. Shaq is good for 10 minutes a game and is nearly 40. Perk has been claimed by many sports announcers to be the best post defender in the league.

I agree about Prince. He is my number 1 wing player, but i would not trade that much for him. We can get posey or battier for just sheeds contract. And the ppl here that are putting BBD in trade talks are crazy. Especially when paired with perk. That would leave us with only the oneals as big men.

Dont underestimate Perk. And there is no one out that we can get that would add more to this team than BBD.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Use Perk to get that elusive SF : I agree, your gonna trade arguably your best defender for someone who is gonna come off the bench. No way that should happen. I think people are over estimating the impact that Shaq will have on the Celtics, either that or over reacting to Perks injury. Not to mention that both the O'Neals are both old men on the downside of their careers compared to Perk, who is getting better every year.
    Posted by VinniePapaGiorgio

Perk will not get better in 10-11 b/c he had a MAJOR knee injury. It is a serious issue. He will not be 100% when he returns in January. The rust may be kicked off by the playoffs

Shaq is not Perk's equal on D or in his ability to play big minutes, but in a rehab year, from a surgery that almost all athletes don't feel back to normal from until season two, Shaq is a better option

and the SF who can defend well, play 24 mins in the playoffs, hit two 3's and bring the kind of hustle and poise that James Posey gave us in '08 is VERY important to a winning club 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Gerald Wallace. Perk and Sheed to Larry Brown with a draft pick for Gerald Wallace.
    Posted by shines01

Another move I'd do in a heartbeat, but the bobcats wouldn't

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Use Perk to get that elusive SF : Perk is important to this team. JO has been terrible for the past few years. Look how he performed for miami this past post season when the C's played them. Shaq is good for 10 minutes a game and is nearly 40. Perk has been claimed by many sports announcers to be the best post defender in the league. I agree about Prince. He is my number 1 wing player, but i would not trade that much for him. We can get posey or battier for just sheeds contract. And the ppl here that are putting BBD in trade talks are crazy. Especially when paired with perk. That would leave us with only the oneals as big men. Dont underestimate Perk. And there is no one out that we can get that would add more to this team than BBD.
    Posted by bcgreen

Posey for Sheed...yes

Battier.... no

Prince is EASILY worth Perk/Sheed and a #1 pick

Jermaine O'Neal had a hyperextended knee and sprained ankle at the end of last season, he is the same age KG was in '08, he will be healthier than he has been in 3 years. He was still a 12/7 last year.

Perk will not be the best post defender in the game rehabbing from this surgery, and even prior to the injury, like during all the finals games he played in pretty much, I spent a lot of time wishing he was 3" taller and didn't have stone hands

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Corey Brewer

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

i agree that our best option right now is to turn sheed's contract into a 3 or a 2/3. but i also disagree with those of you who think that perk is so good. he's slow as can be and has hands of stone. i have not seen him get any better in 3 years. he still can't set a pick without getting called for it. the oneals for perk is a wash IMO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Agreed

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Ainge will not trade Perk or Glen Davis. Doc came back because he will have the same team as last year. Trading 1 or 2 pieces will alter the team's chemistry.  Sheed's contract for Battier is a better option than getting a guy like Gerald Wallace. The Celtics only need a backup for Pierce not someone who would want to be a starter. 
    Posted by Fierce34

Is Gerald Wallace on the block?? I'd think if he was somebody would offer up way more than Perk/sheed and a late #1.

If that fantasy trade came true you instantly make Ray ur 6th man and start Paul at SG

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If the only move we have is to trade sheed for Posey you do that

Although I'd still love this trade:

New Orleans:

Big Baby
    Perk
    Sheed
    '11 #1
    ('11 and '12 or '13 2nd rd picks if need be)

Boston:

Posey
    David West

New Orleans saves a few million this year and a TON for next summer when they will try and pair Melo with CP3, West is prob going to leave as a FA anyhow, new Orleans would have to trade a draft pick to dump Posey like New York w/ Jeffries or the Bulls w/ Hinrich

Our frontcourt:

C - Shaq 20 mins, O'Neal 20 mins, KG 8 mins
    PF - KG 16 mins, West 32 mins

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Gerald Wallace has re-signed with Charlotte for two years.

Battier or Posey?

I really don't care at this stage!!

Sections
Shortcuts