Veteran's Minimum: Why not Michael Redd?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Veteran's Minimum: Why not Michael Redd?

Michael Redd was an All-Star with the Bucks. If he can return to prior form, or even just 50% of what he once was, he could be a superb addition to this Celtics team. He would provide some much-needed scoring off the bench. He's also the Tim Tebow of the NBA. There wouldn't be any team chemistry issues.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinnacle10. Show pinnacle10's posts

Re: Veteran's Minimum: Why not Michael Redd?

If I was choosing he'd be my 3rd choice. 

Deshawn Stevenson seems to fill the biggest need.  He's a proven wing player that's a solid defender with good size.

My 2nd choice would be Reggie Evans.  Basically the same position and role as Brandon Bass, but I like his toughness and his game. 

I've always been a fan of Redd and would love to see him in Boston.  His age and injury are a concern, but if he can be anywhere close to what he was he'd be a great addition.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kccorwin. Show kccorwin's posts

if he's healthy I would take a chance on Redd. If he can give Ray a few minutes off the bench and hit some 3's he would be worth the risk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Redd is the still sitting there and it tells you something doesn't it?  We have no information but the lack of interest tells you everything you need to know. 

Danny is waiting until he sees how we do during regular season games.  We are between a rock and hard place.  Look at how are salary cap has strangled us and enabled others to pick up good player after good player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

The Celtics two most pressing needs are a big man and a shooting guard to backup Ray.  As it relates to that shooting guard spot, I think Redd would be perfect.  With news that Pierce is in doubt to start the season, the Celtics have NO proven consistent perimeter offensive threat on the team other than Ray Allen.  I love Stevenson and he can hit the "occasional" 3-pointer but we will need someone who can hit more than an "occasional" shot.

We are going to be solid on the defensive end.  I just don't see where we will get offense from.  We just don't have the firepower to contend with the elite teams.  You will never be able to stop guys like Carmello and Stoudemire regardless of the defense.  However, you have to counter their scoring by scoring yourself and without enough players capable of scoring the basketball, we are just not going to be able to compete.

We can get all of the defensive-minded players we want.  It won't matter if we can't score points.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

I agree with Petey - with Green out, we need to have the second unit score much more, not lose leads like the last two years!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuPirate. Show PuPirate's posts

In Response to Re: Veteran's Minimum: Why not Michael Redd?:
    In Response to Re: Veteran's Minimum: Why not Michael Redd? : Agent Byron Irvin confirms Reggie Evans deal with Clippers is 1-year at veteran's minimum.
    Posted by Mployee8

Good catch Mp. No matter Bass is actually much more skilled, and posseses more athleticism than Evans, with just as good a motor. Oh and he's younger and as tough. My problem with Stevenson is that he thinks he's a better shooter than he really is. He's thinks he's a better player than he really is.
    Look there are many variations or looks of a championship team...

-Need a True PG vs Not a True PG
    -Need a True Center vs a Undersized Banger/Rebounder/Who can Score
    -Need a scoring Foward off the Bench (DWest) vs Need a shooter/playmaker (Posey, Redd)

so I disagree with Jackie McMullin, David West would have been great but he is NOT the downfall of C's. We could use playmakers/shooters of the bench need a shooter when Paul, or Ray go to the bench.

And if we're still hung up on needing a center based on what we can afford how about?...

Gadzuric, Dan
    Hollins, Ryan 
    Przybilla, Joel

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

We didn't beat the lakers in game 7, because we couldn't score, we lost to the heat in last years play offs, because we couldn't score in the 4th quarter. We are in worse shape offensively this year then we were last year, if Redd is anywhere close to what he once was, i'm all for bringing him in!!!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

As I said why is no one else interested?  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Fiercest34, the Celtics cannot keep up with Miami or Chicago with athleticism and speed because the players that will run the court for the Celtics the majority of time are not athletic and fast.  KG, Ray and Paul's days of athleticism and speed are long gone and I doubt we'll see our bench (most athletic players on the roster) on the court for extended periods to make a difference against the other team's front line players anyway.

And besides, who's NBA athletic and fast on the Celtics besides Rondo?  Wilcox maybe, Bass maybe, Quis, NOT, Dooling, NOT!  Avery Bradley (see Gerald Green).

As kyceltic said, we can't score points.  How many times last year did we just stop scoring?  How many times did we see this scenario:  4th quarter begins with Pierce, Ray, KG and oftentimes Rondo on the bench in hopes of getting to that 8 or 9 minute mark for the big guns to return only to see a lead or close game completely lost along with momentum?  That's because we could never score enough to hold or extend a lead.  In spite of our top defensive ranking, if we cannot score it doesn't matter how good your defense is.

Redd can still fill it up better than any other vet-minimum guy out there on the market now.  He can fill it up better than Earl Watson (some Earl is now on the market), Stevenson and most any SG out there now.  If he can give the Celtics 20 minutes a game and provide the THREAT of the perimeter shot, along with actually MAKING some too, it would be well worth bringing Redd in.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

As I said why is no one else interested?  
    Posted by concord27

You make a valid point but because other teams haven't publicly shown interest is not a reason to believe a player cannot contribute and satisfy a role with YOUR team.

Also, just because Redd hasn't signed a contract with another team or has been mentioned in reports on hoopshype.com or realgm.com does not mean he's not being shown interest.

When you look at the Celtics, bottom line is we don't have a proven suitable backup at the SF spot.  Other than Arenas, there is no other proven dead-eye shooter capable of providing scoring out there on the market like Redd can.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

I think the Celts roster is set, Stiemsma the 15th man and Gilbert Brown as the 14th man. The last time I saw Redd play for the Bucks last season he was overweight. It's better if the Celts go young this year. We have to keep up with Miami and Chicago in terms of athleticism and speed.
    Posted by Fiercest34

Surely, we can do better than Gilbert Brown, and who goes to the D-League?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

If I was choosing he'd be my 3rd choice. 

Deshawn Stevenson seems to fill the biggest need.  He's a proven wing player that's a solid defender with good size.

I also like DeShawn Stevenson as a defender. No one is better at containing LeBron James. Stevenson is a more consistent and durable version of Tony Allen. But there are two major problems with Stevenson. First, he fancies himself a shooter and brings a questionable shot selection. Second, he's not the greatest person. He fights with teammates and had some legal issues involving statutory rape.

The Celtics have enough defense right now. They lack offense. Michael Redd, at 50%, would be an upgrade on any of the current SF/SG backups. Plus he's a good guy, which matters a lot to a coaching staff. Worst case scenario, he gets injured or has no game left, and the Celtics replace him with another player for the veteran's minimum. The risk is very low. We're not talking huge dollars here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

davidap, totally agree.  If we put Bass, Wilcox, Quis and Dooling on the court together, I believe we can do great things defensively.  I like that unit's ability to defend any team's second unit.  However, we would be extremely challenged on the offensive end.  Other than Bass, nobody is truly an offensive threat.  The other players have to find ways to score.

If we can get a career 20 point scorer at the vet minumum, we have to make that move.  If Redd is 80%, he's better than what's out there.  And more important, he is a good character guy who is willing to work.

Maybe it's me but that seems like a no-brainer.  I sure don't want to see us in NY struggling for offense with Dooling, Quis, Sasha, Bass and Wilcox giving up a lead and having that Knicks on a 17-3 run with our starters on the bench.  Just don't want to see that again this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

I was dreaming, I saw Marshon Brooks and ..........then I woke up.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

I was dreaming, I saw Marshon Brooks and ..........then I woke up.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

While David West slipping through our fingers likely meant a goodbye to championship dreams, with the loss of Green only cementing that sad fact, any shot Ainge can take to secure a legit center and anything at the 2 and/or 3 would be welcome. The 32 year old Redd seems like a no brainer, but the guy has also played 61 games total in the past three seasons so health/ weight/ fitness are surely major factors in the lack of interest in him around the league. Not that it matters. This team as constituted is probably a good three-four solid players away at this point and the likelihood of getting what we need to make it through the east is about zero. You simply cannot win a championship with aging superstars AND Jermaine O'Neal at center, AND a bench with at best two or three legitimate players (Wilcox, Bass, Dooling (?)). Dooling is a downgrade from Delonte West and Bass an upgrade over baby so that's about a wash. But if you added Wilcox, David West, Green, and perhaps another player or two (a center and a wing player with range) you sill might not have enough to beat Chicago or Miami, but at least you're knocking on the door. As is, you've got maybe 6-7 legit players (O'Neal will not last and even when healthy is at best an 8-10 guy) on a team that needed to be at least 10 deep. As much as I hate to admit it the door has officially closed. "Mark it down, Dude."  

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Fiercest34, I enjoy reading your posts but I believe the Celtics need a proven scorer on that second unit capable of putting the ball in the hoop from the perimeter MORE than a need to get athletic and fast.  That unit can be as athletic as it has to be but when everyone is sprinting down the court, it would be nice to have that "trailer" spotting up at the 3-point line who is actually capable of making that shot.

It would take alot of pressure off Bass and Wilcox and open things up for Quis to slash to the hoop.  Right now, we don't have that dynamic on the second unit.  In order for us to have that, we have to run Ray with that unit or put Pierce in there.  The rook, Moore, may develop into that role but he's not ready to assume that now.

Also, Redd, at 80% can still come off a pick and nail the perimeter shot better than anybody else on the market today.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

You might be right but I'm not sure anyone has seen him lately.  Who knows, he might be on that Small Baby Davis / Kendrick Perkins diet.  Nobody has seen Redd and he might be back down to 210 pounds.

I know one thing, I know how "fat" his jumpshot is and how effective it can be with his "fat" butt standing on the perimeter firing away.

He doesn't have to play stellar defense as long as he goes 3-5 on 3-pointers.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Get his fat a.s.s. in here right now!!  We're not going to beat very many teams scoring 80 points per game.  If that doesn't work trade something for OJ Mayo, before someone else gets him for not very much!!  Come on Fierce call Danny and get it done!!  Ugh!!

Sections
Shortcuts