Von Wafer's Big Break

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Von Wafer's Big Break

Daniels will be out for a while and the trade deadline is 3 weeks away. This is the opportunity Von Wafer has been waiting for. Let's see what Wafer can do with more playing time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: Von Wafer's Big Break

In Response to Von Wafer's Big Break:
    Daniels will be out for a while and the trade deadline is 3 weeks away. This is the opportunity Von Wafer has been waiting for. Let's see what Wafer can do with more playing time.
    Posted by P34

If the Celtics don't make any trades, I would imagine that he will be playing many minutes.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

P34, I agree with you. This is actually the time for Von Wafer to shine. I know he can play basketball, especially on offense, but I don't really understand his problem with the Celtics. Maybe he is overshadowed by the stars and hall of famers.

Because when he was in Houston, he was a shining star, excellent three pointer, and very aggressive player.

I hope the table will turn around for him in Boston, especially now that MD is out for a month or so.

Time Will Only Tell

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

5 for 5 on this thread as far as posters agreeing.  Giving Von Wafer extra minutes at SF now will hopefully take his game up a notch, and if it doesn't, help DA decide if he needs to do anything regarding the backup SF position.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

I'm happy that he's getting more playing time, and hopefully it will up his confidence, but he's really too small to be playing small forward. hell, even daniels was too small at times.

an idea from left-field, but could we try harangody at small forward for a few minutes? he's got the shooting range on offense and the size and rebounding on defense

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Von Wafer is a 6'5 SG, not a 6'6 or bigger SF. He doesn't play the kind of defense to cover a legitimate NBA SF.

Why you'll think we can get away with that is absurd. Why do people consistently want to make Celtics players play out of position and then get made when they don't perform? We're already putting square pegs in round holes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Von Wafer's Big Break:
    Von Wafer is a 6'5 SG, not a 6'6 or bigger SF. He doesn't play the kind of defense to cover a legitimate NBA SF. Why you'll think we can get away with that is absurd. Why do people consistently want to make Celtics players play out of position and then get made when they don't perform? We're already putting square pegs in round holes.
    Posted by BiasLewis

It's called playing the cards that you are dealt with. 

You want James Posey, I want Courtney, and another fan wants Shane Battier to be a Celtic. In the end no matter who we want Ainge is still the GM and we're just the fans.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Von Wafer is a 6'5 SG, not a 6'6 or bigger SF. He doesn't play the kind of defense to cover a legitimate NBA SF. Why you'll think we can get away with that is absurd. Why do people consistently want to make Celtics players play out of position and then get made when they don't perform? We're already putting square pegs in round holes.
    Posted by BiasLewis

Bias if you were the GM of this team we would be making a trade or bringing a player in every Monday.  You over react to every obstacle we have as a team. Earlier you needed a big man.  did we get one?  NO.  Danny was patient and we got Perk back.  We continue to be highly competitive and have a very good record.  Change just for the sake of change is ridiculous.  You remind me of my corporate boss's.  Just have to say you did something different.  Doesn't matter if it is good or not.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Von Wafer's Big Break : Bias if you were the GM of this team we would be making a trade or bringing a player in every Monday.  You over react to every obstacle we have as a team. Earlier you needed a big man.  did we get one?  NO.  Danny was patient and we got Perk back.  We continue to be highly competitive and have a very good record.  Change just for the sake of change is ridiculous.  You remind me of my corporate boss's.  Just have to say you did something different.  Doesn't matter if it is good or not.
    Posted by OneOnOne

Not necessarily. Bias would just sign Mikki Moore to fill the need for a big man.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Please! Some of you guys NEVER want to make a move. YOu would rather play a SG at PG, a PF at SF, and use bench players as starters.

It's not change for the sake of change knucklehead. We have to get to April with the #1 seed. Stop acting like just because one guy comes back that another guy doesn't go down. So now we're getting West back but Quis is out.

If it all catches up to us come April you will be crying that we didn't make a move. How many minutes do you expect the starters to play right now...30, 40?? Then what happens come April?? Perk is back and now Shaq is out. Some still want to wait on JON...for what?? It's not overreacting, it's making contingency plans.  Now you want to play Wafer as the backup SF and if West came back any sooner Wafer would be on the street so that shows you how valuable he is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Please! Some of you guys NEVER want to make a move. YOu would rather play a SG at PG, a PF at SF, and use bench players as starters. It's not change for the sake of change knucklehead. We have to get to April with the #1 seed. Stop acting like just because one guy comes back that another guy doesn't go down. So now we're getting West back but Quis is out. If it all catches up to us come April you will be crying that we didn't make a move. How many minutes do you expect the starters to play right now...30, 40?? Then what happens come April?? Perk is back and now Shaq is out. Some still want to wait on JON...for what?? It's not overreacting, it's making contingency plans.  Now you want to play Wafer as the backup SF and if West came back any sooner Wafer would be on the street so that shows you how valuable he is.
    Posted by BiasLewis

I want to make a move but I can't because I'm just a fan. If you're Danny Ainge then what's stopping you from signing Jerry Stackhouse?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

What are your suggestions people? Let me hear them?? Stop criticizing mine and let me hear yours.

Trading Rondo isn't a realistic option.

So what if it's not Stackhouse but Ainge isn't sitting around like some of you'll would and just sit in your lazyboy and say "put Wafer in". YOu guys would be fired within a month.

You don't like my pickups but let me hear your ideas. It's easy to criticize.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

What are your suggestions people? Let me hear them?? Stop criticizing mine and let me hear yours. Trading Rondo isn't a realistic option. So what if it's not Stackhouse but Ainge isn't sitting around like some of you'll would and just sit in your lazyboy and say "put Wafer in". YOu guys would be fired within a month. You don't like my pickups but let me hear your ideas. It's easy to criticize.
    Posted by BiasLewis

Courtney Lee for Avery Bradley

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Do you really think the Rockets need or want Bradley when they have Lowry and Brooks? So why would the GM take a unknown rookie for Lee??

Battier is more reasonable because rumors are out that they are dangling him. Do the C's have enough to get him?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Grant Hill for what ever it takes!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Do you really think the Rockets need or want Bradley when they have Lowry and Brooks? So why would the GM take a unknown rookie for Lee?? Battier is more reasonable because rumors are out that they are dangling him. Do the C's have enough to get him?
    Posted by BiasLewis

Brooks is on the way out. 

How about this:

Avery Bradley and TJ Ford to the Rockets

JO and Nate to the Pacers

Battier and Brooks to the Celtics

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I would try to get Hill. For one Doc knows him and respects him, he's a vet who has playoff experience and plays defense. I'm not sure we have what it takes to get him.

JON, Bradley and Nate isn't enough to get Battier and Brooks. LOL! Those are two starters for the Rockets...are you nuts? One guy is hurt so if they just want the contract for a buyout, ok, the other is in the DL and the other is really the only piece we have to move.

No one is giving the C's a legitimate player for our junk. So this takes me back to Posey and TA. Both leaving wouldn't disrupt their perspective teams too much.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

I would try to get Hill. For one Doc knows him and respects him, he's a vet who has playoff experience and plays defense. I'm not sure we have what it takes to get him. JON, Bradley and Nate isn't enough to get Battier and Brooks. LOL! Those are two starters for the Rockets...are you nuts? One guy is hurt so if they just want the contract for a buyout, ok, the other is in the DL and the other is really the only piece we have to move. No one is giving the C's a legitimate player for our junk. So this takes me back to Posey and TA. Both leaving wouldn't disrupt their perspective teams too much.
    Posted by BiasLewis

I revised it, it's a 3-way deal now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I would love to get a new player that can help.  Von Wafer who I have watched closely is a very good defender in spurts and a real potential force on offense.

He seems to be ignored in what the team runs and it probably has made him not as aggressive as he could be.   Often times I see him getting the ball in bail out fashion when the 24 is  running down.  He has to learn to find his offense for him to stick here.  He has a  lot of ability and as P34 says the time has come for him to deliver.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Like it or not, Wafer is going to get his big minutes now. I like the progress Wafer has made thus far. I'm looking forward to see how he does with playing more minutes. I like his aggressiveness. He's very fast and drives well to the basket. He's a better than average jump shooter. I do wish he would learn to finish with his left hand on the drive. His offensive game would improve a lot if he learned how to finish with his left hand.
       He plays aggressive defense, but he occassionally loses his man which turns into an easy basket for the opposing team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I agree, Mem17. Wafer is playing better with each game.  You can see his confidence grow and you can see him use his speed and athleticism to contribute with Defense and hustle plays, not just his shooting.  I like this kid and if he continues to progress, come playoff time he could just be a real asset at critical moments when a starter needs a break or is in foul trouble.

You know, when the season started, we thought Danny was building a bench for the days when Ray, Paul, and KG were going through those nagging injuries (and while Perk was out).  Now, its all of the bench and young players who had more injuries (West, Rondo out for a while, Daniels, Semih's shoulder, Shaq, JON).  Thank goodness (knock on wood) that the big 3 have been pretty consistent other than KG's short outage.  

Wafer, Nate, BBD, Erdin, and Wafer have helped a lot during this run.  Danny's plan worked, albeit substituting for different players than we thought.  I like what Wafer has done in short minutes to help and to learn.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I'll be quite honest. I like Wafer as a SG. I think if he just sat, watched and learned from RA he would be good in the future. The problem is he's too inconsistent and catapulting him to the backup SF position out of need is one thing but expecting anything major out of him is another. Sure he can give PP a rest but if i'm the other team I'm exploiting that position.

For instance vs the Bobcats tonight.

I would take either Wallace or TJack out game before PP comes out or I would go at PP real hard to try and get him in foul trouble, either one. When PP goes out I'm going right at Wafer with Wallace or TJack. I expect the same thing to happen Thursday vs LA and Sunday vs Miami. Artest with LA and Bron with Miami.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

The loss of Daniels really hurts. More than some realize. I believe he is Boston's best on the ball defender. His off the ball wasn't bad either. Getting to the post, I really like Wafer and believe he can help. I hope his inconsistencies can be worked out with additional playing time. Oh, and quit talking about getting Hill. It's not gonna happen.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticjay. Show celticjay's posts

The loss of Daniels really hurts. More than some realize. I believe he is Boston's best on the ball defender. His off the ball wasn't bad either. Getting to the post, I really like Wafer and believe he can help. I hope his inconsistencies can be worked out with additional playing time. Oh, and quit talking about getting Hill. It's not gonna happen.
    Posted by OneNation

Grant Hill makes a lot of sense.  His is making peanuts and could play 3 positions.  He also has enough size to most importantly back up Pierece.   

Bradley and a 2nd rounder?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

In Response to Re: Von Wafer's Big Break : Grant Hill makes a lot of sense.  His is making peanuts and could play 3 positions.  He also has enough size to most importantly back up Pierece.    Bradley and a 2nd rounder?
    Posted by celticjay

Personaly to me, and I know iI am in the minority from what I read, I would not trade for him because I don't think his body is reliable. But, do you think its realistic that Boston has a chance to get him? I dont. Oh and remember, he turned the C's down once before.

Sections
Shortcuts