Was Pitino right? Dirk over Pierce was the better selection

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Was Pitino right? Dirk over Pierce was the better selection

Rick Pitino badly wanted Dirk with the Celtics pick. However Dirk was selected just before Pitino picked, so he had Paul Pierce fall into his lap.
    Both turned out to be multiple All Stars, All Pros, a Finals MVP, a champion and likely first ballot hall of famers with over 25,000 career points and staying with the same team their entire career.
     But now both at age 33, the question is, was Pitino finally right about something?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Was Pitino right? Dirk over Pierce was the better selection

Dirk has been the better player Kirk

Pitino may have been right on that '98 move... and multiple other teams moronic for not taking Pierce earlier (seemed only the Mavs and C's were in on dirk)... but hje was so wrong with many other moves it isn't even worth pumping him up on that.

He simply had to keep Ben Wallace over Zan Tabak (his final 2 guys battling for 1 spot in '97). Draft McGrady over Mercer (and therefore have a worse record in '98 w/o Mercer's better game those 1st couple years) NOT trade Billups for Kenny Anderson or a '99 top 10 pick for Vitaly Potopenko.

and we have this team ready to make noise in the 2001 playoffs:

C - Battie
    PF - Dirk
    SF - Marion
    SG - McGrady
    PG - Billups

6th/7th men - Antoine Walker and Bruce Bowen

We'd need a big man of course

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Don't ride the wave of the moment

Dirk was, until the past two or three years, too soft to play the 4 or 5 against a decent team.  This is why he got eaten alive by the Tim Duncan Spurs and the Lakers until this year, when Tyson Chandler was behind him and played good enough for the both of them (and because Duncan and Gasol both went missing).

So basically, until the past couple years, Nowitzki's been an incredibly unathletic small forward who was an above-average rebounder for a small forward, but still not a good enough rebounder to be a true power forward

Paul Pierce is more athletic, has just as good of an iso game, isn't quite the shooter, but can run the offense through the point as long as he doesn't dribble too much, but is still a slightly better ball handler.

And most importantly to me, Pierce has had a true position for the majority of his career.  Nowitzki was too soft for the 4, too small for the 5, and too slow for the 3 until recently.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Dirk and Pierce? I'd probably pick Dirk. He's a versitle player and I love watching him play.

However it's like comparing apples to oranges. And I'm sure a lot of fans would vote for their teams man when making comparisons between the two players.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from spewey. Show spewey's posts

Dirk is the better player.

Pierce falling to the Celtics in that draft was a miracle and a nobrainer for Pitino-who apparently has no brain.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donquique. Show donquique's posts

Does not matter. Boston would had picked Dirk in 98. End of story. We where lucky Pierce fell in our laps or that draft would had been a disaster. Remember that pierce would had been gone top 5. Imagine that, no pierce and not dirk. That means no big three in 2007.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

There wasn't a choice.  It's not like Dirk was there to select.  And no one expected Pierce to be there, so he made the obvious selection -- and it turned out alright. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

you have the history a little mixed up. Nellie picking #6 drafted Tractor Traylor and then traded him to the Bucks picking #9 for Dirk. Pitino sniffing this deal in the works, tried depserately to move up to 7 or 8, but had nothing to offer up in trade.
    If memory serves me correctly, Nellie got Dirk AND Nash for Traylor and Pat Garrity 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Was Pitino right? Dirk over Pierce was the better selection:
    Rick Pitino badly wanted Dirk with the Celtics pick. However Dirk was selected just before Pitino picked, so he had Paul Pierce fall into his lap. Both turned out to be multiple All Stars, All Pros, a Finals MVP, a champion and likely first ballot hall of famers with over 25,000 career points and staying with the same team their entire career.  But now both at age 33, the question is, was Pitino finally right about something?

Give me quality size over a quality wing anytime.
    Posted by Celtics1986

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In Response to Re: Was Pitino right? Dirk over Pierce was the better selection:
    Don't ride the wave of the moment Dirk was, until the past two or three years, too soft to play the 4 or 5 against a decent team.  This is why he got eaten alive by the Tim Duncan Spurs and the Lakers until this year, when Tyson Chandler was behind him and played good enough for the both of them (and because Duncan and Gasol both went missing). So basically, until the past couple years, Nowitzki's been an incredibly unathletic small forward who was an above-average rebounder for a small forward, but still not a good enough rebounder to be a true power forward Paul Pierce is more athletic, has just as good of an iso game, isn't quite the shooter, but can run the offense through the point as long as he doesn't dribble too much, but is still a slightly better ball handler. And most importantly to me, Pierce has had a true position for the majority of his career.  Nowitzki was too soft for the 4, too small for the 5, and too slow for the 3 until recently.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

I concur.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jnam. Show jnam's posts

No offense, but this is a discussion for draft nerds and fantasy geeks only.  Until recently, the only "fans" that talked about the draft were the fans of bad teams.  Especially in the NBA where rookies rarely crack the starting lineup on a palyoff team.

I think Pierce is a better player personally much more skills and leading the celtics in lots of categories - considering the leader list is all hall of fame champions, I'm impressed with what Pierce has accomplished.  However that Dirk guy aint bad that's for sure. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Look. Dirk is a freak of nature.

Like Barkley, like Kemp, like Bill Russell, like Wilt, like Shaq.

Big men that excel at a smaller man's skills ( and just the opposite for Barkley).

The agility of these big guys is crazy. Dirk's stroke is poetry in motion, Larry legend like.

Pierce is no freak, just has more skill and more will than Dirk and is perfectly equipped athleticly to exert his will.

Pierce outplayed to best players in the NBA (Lebron and Kobe) in the same post season ON A MISSION for that ring!

Dirk won but he did'nt outplay DWade in my opinion.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

In Response to Re: Was Pitino right? Dirk over Pierce was the better selection:
    In Response to Re: Was Pitino right? Dirk over Pierce was the better selection : Per Wiki, and I remember wondering how the Bucks got a bead on Dirk other than via all the Krauts living in Milwaukee who must have been in the know, haha! /> Pitino's plan was foiled by Nelson, whose team had the sixth pick. Nelson worked out draft day deals with the Bucks and the Suns : the Mavericks wanted Nowitzki and Suns reserve PG Nash ; the Bucks desired muscular forward Robert Traylor, who was projected to be drafted before Nowitzki; and the Suns had set their sights on forward Pat Garrity, who was projected as a low first round pick. In the draft, the Mavericks drafted Traylor with their sixth pick, and the Bucks selected Nowitzki with their ninth and Garrity with their nineteenth pick. The Mavericks then traded Traylor to the Bucks for Nowitzki and Garrity, and they in turn traded the latter to Phoenix for Nash. <
    Posted by Mployee8

Is that your way of saying you can predict the past? Because you sure are awful when it comes to predicting the future. LOL

When you said per wiki did you mean per birdie? ROFL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Pitino wasn't right - Dirk wasn't there for him to pick. I'm sure he would have found a way to screw even that up somehow, maybe a pick and trade. 

Now that Dirk has a ring, along with his unique skill set, I think he's established himself as the better player. But not by much. Pierce is excellent in his own right.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I still think everyone is caught up in the hype

Lest we should forget, Dirk had no clearly defined role for most of his career.  He was a sub-par big man for most of his career, and as such Tim Duncan and company ate his lunch.  He was a below average rebounder who couldn't defend the post against big men and certainly didn't have the athleticism to play small forward.  Furthermore, he had no post game himself.  So he was a giant shooter who was a sub-par rebounder, but had to play power forward because he couldn'd defend small forwards which always put Dallas at a rebounding disadvantage.  At one point in his career, he was so soft and undefined, Tracy McGrady shut him down in a Houston-Dallas series a while back, which should automatically disqualify him from being one of the top 20 players of all time

Don't get caught up in the hype.  He earned his due, but until recently he was mostly just a great shooter

19. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts