Watching Westbrook a healthy Rondo looks awfully good to me

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Watching Westbrook a healthy Rondo looks awfully good to me

Watching the harebrained Westbrook play out of control, turning the ball over at will, I welcome a healthy Rondo back next year.  Rondo is light years ahead of Westbrook as a basketball mind and just as athletic. The shooting skills are still deficient but Rondo will improve. Westbrook's head will never change.  He won't get smarter and his game will become more about numbers a la Monta Ellis.

Rondo healthy and removed from the Perkins trade is better.  Pray OKC doesn't trade for Rondo as Westbrook is not a point guard.  And he won't be, OKC is just too talented to be run by a gunner when the team is so deep and talented.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Re: Watching Westbrook a healthy Rondo looks awfully good to me

Westbrook can hit a barn door from 3 feet.....unlike brick!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidB1. Show DavidB1's posts

completely agree. All that he has in athleticism he lacks in intelligence. Low IQ playa.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: Watching Westbrook a healthy Rondo looks awfully good to me:
    [QUOTE]But you can't deny the fact that Westbrook, 4.6 turnovers per game, is better at turning the ball over than Rondo, 3.6 turnovers per game. HAHAHA!!! 
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]again about upside. just look at jason kidd and tony parker. within 2 years can see rondo making the same loeap in term s of 3-pointers, mid-range jumper consistency and persistency and FOUL SHOOTING. rondo's upside is far better than westbrook. rondo is already a first team defensive player. westbrook cant stop 78 yo jason kidd or knock his walker down. i dont think rr will rest on his laurels. he can and will get a lot better. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Watching Westbrook a healthy Rondo looks awfully good to me:
    [QUOTE]Watching the harebrained Westbrook play out of control, turning the ball over at will, I welcome a healthy Rondo back next year.  Rondo is light years ahead of Westbrook as a basketball mind and just as athletic. The shooting skills are still deficient but Rondo will improve. Westbrook's head will never change.  He won't get smarter and his game will become more about numbers a la Monta Ellis. Rondo healthy and removed from the Perkins trade is better.  Pray OKC doesn't trade for Rondo as Westbrook is not a point guard.  And he won't be, OKC is just too talented to be run by a gunner when the team is so deep and talented.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

I was praying that Rondo got raptured this past Saturday.

Anybody heard?

October 21 is now the reset date.

Pud

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]He's a point guard with more turnovers than assists in 4 games averaging 30+ minutes. Absolutely pathetic for point guard who's job is to facilitate and one that is considered top tier. 38 year old Kidd has 33 assists and 9 turnovers. Westbrick has 19 assists and 21 turnovers. It's unheard of.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framdude. Show framdude's posts

Statistics can be twisted to prove a lot of things in a lot of ways. to me turnovers and PER rating tell one side of the story.
    watching Westbrook at this level in the playoffs, it is clear that he is not a PG yet.
    Maybe he will get better. but he does not play with the high IQ required of a PG of a elite championship caliber team. A lot of possessions were plain dumb, just dribbling and shooting and some shots were awful shots for an alleged shoot first PG. Westbrook on his best day could be an Allen Iverson type guy, but I don't think he is a PG.
    In contrast , Rondo was impressive at the same age of Westbrook (22 in 2007 , if I am correct), Rondo was leading this team's offense, with much better scrutiny (can this kid be a floor leader to Big 3) in the boiling caulderon of Boston media. If Westbrook were to play in Boston make that kind of mistakes, he would be crucified by Boston's sports fans. It is good that he is not in a major media market like Boston,CHI, NY or LA.
    Maybe Rondo got cocky (or more cocky) after the success and it got to his head which prevented him from making that kind of dedication to improve his all around game.I hope he uses the summer to improve his shooting and FT shooting.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Statistics can be twisted to prove a lot of things in a lot of ways. to me turnovers and PER rating tell one side of the story. watching Westbrook at this level in the playoffs, it is clear that he is not a PG yet. Maybe he will get better. but he does not play with the high IQ required of a PG of a elite championship caliber team. A lot of possessions were plain dumb, just dribbling and shooting and some shots were awful shots for an alleged shoot first PG. Westbrook on his best day could be an Allen Iverson type guy, but I don't think he is a PG. In contrast , Rondo was impressive at the same age of Westbrook (22 in 2007 , if I am correct), Rondo was leading this team's offense, with much better scrutiny (can this kid be a floor leader to Big 3) in the boiling caulderon of Boston media. If Westbrook were to play in Boston make that kind of mistakes, he would be crucified by Boston's sports fans. It is good that he is not in a major media market like Boston,CHI, NY or LA. Maybe Rondo got cocky (or more cocky) after the success and it got to his head which prevented him from making that kind of dedication to improve his all around game.I hope he uses the summer to improve his shooting and FT shooting.
    Posted by framdude[/QUOTE]

Is Westbrook today better than Rondo was at age 22?  Vastly superior.

In the last 20 years the Spurs have won 5 titles, the Lakers 5, the Bulls 6, the Rockets 2, the Heat, Cs, Pistons..... can you please name the point guards for these teams - you know the kind of "PG of elite championship caliber teams"????  Only Billups and Parker are what I would even call good let alone great.  How about Steve Kerr, BJ Armstrong, blah blah blah......

None of the best point guards in the league will be in the finals.

Point guard..... overrated.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Agree.  I stand corrected, as I over-valued Westbrook.  I still think he probably projects better for the next 7 years than Rondo, but right now, Rondo is the more complete player, a true PG.

I think OKC is going to fire Brooks.  That team does too many things wrong from an execution standpoint and that has to fall on the coach.  I know it is kind of tough to fire a guy who went to the conference final but it just doesn't seem like he has much control over his team at times.  Particularly in regards to Westbrook.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Agree.  I stand corrected, as I over-valued Westbrook.  I still think he probably projects better for the next 7 years than Rondo, but right now, Rondo is the more complete player, a true PG. I think OKC is going to fire Brooks.  That team does too many things wrong from an execution standpoint and that has to fall on the coach.  I know it is kind of tough to fire a guy who went to the conference final but it just doesn't seem like he has much control over his team at times.  Particularly in regards to Westbrook.
    Posted by Calmy[/QUOTE]

A true point guard?  If you ignore that scoring, shooting, getting to the line and making 85% and making 3s as part of what a true point guard is, yeah I guess Rondo is a true point guard.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

I've got no misconceptions about Rondo's limitations when it comes to shooting the ball, which is why I've always ranked Westbrook ahead of him.  But after watching 3 rounds worth of Westbrook, I'll take Rondo's poor shooting over Westbrook's poor decision making. 

A true PG, in my mind, runs the show, distributes the ball.  Westbrook has not learned that yet and it was on full display in the last 5 minutes last night.  The other night the Thunder had something like 20 possessions where Westbrook was the only guy to TOUCH the ball.  No thank you.  Again, a put a lot of that on the coach.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]I've got no misconceptions about Rondo's limitations when it comes to shooting the ball, which is why I've always ranked Westbrook ahead of him.  But after watching 3 rounds worth of Westbrook, I'll take Rondo's poor shooting over Westbrook's poor decision making.  A true PG, in my mind, runs the show, distributes the ball.  Westbrook has not learned that yet and it was on full display in the last 5 minutes last night.  The other night the Thunder had something like 20 possessions where Westbrook was the only guy to TOUCH the ball.  No thank you.  Again, a put a lot of that on the coach.
    Posted by Calmy[/QUOTE]

With Rondo OKC would not be where they are and would average about 20 fewer points per game.

Rondo's inability to shoot is why is not a true point guard unless you are distinguishing between true point guard and complete point guard.

By the time Westbrook is 25, he will be vastly superior to Rondo in every facet of the game, in my opinion he already is.

You may recall a time when Paul Pierce was considered by many on this board, etc. to be a ball hog and would isolate against someone on what seemed like every play.  Paul said to himself, if I pass the ball we will very likely not score and most likely turn the ball over but if I don't pass we will likely score and I will get to the free throw line...............

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Watching Westbrook a healthy Rondo looks awfully good to me : With Rondo OKC would not be where they are and would average about 20 fewer points per game. Rondo's inability to shoot is why is not a true point guard unless you are distinguishing between true point guard and complete point guard. By the time Westbrook is 25, he will be vastly superior to Rondo in every facet of the game, in my opinion he already is. You may recall a time when Paul Pierce was considered by many on this board, etc. to be a ball hog and would isolate against someone on what seemed like every play.  Paul said to himself, if I pass the ball we will very likely not score and most likely turn the ball over but if I don't pass we will likely score and I will get to the free throw line...............
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]dud my man it is much easier to develop a shot and be selfish than it is to pass first and be unselfish! rondo's uoside could be higher than mr. westbrook at least in our scheme.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Watching Westbrook a healthy Rondo looks awfully good to me : dud my man it is much easier to develop a shot and be selfish than it is to pass first and be unselfish! rondo's uoside could be higher than mr. westbrook at least in our scheme.
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

Our scheme?  Our scheme is our scheme because Rondo can't shoot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Agree.  I stand corrected, as I over-valued Westbrook.  I still think he probably projects better for the next 7 years than Rondo, but right now, Rondo is the more complete player, a true PG. I think OKC is going to fire Brooks.  That team does too many things wrong from an execution standpoint and that has to fall on the coach.  I know it is kind of tough to fire a guy who went to the conference final but it just doesn't seem like he has much control over his team at times.  Particularly in regards to Westbrook.
    Posted by Calmy[/QUOTE]

OKC definitely hasn't played well in this round of the playoffs, but I don't see them firing the coach.  Didn't he win coach of the year recently.   You may be right, but I would be surprised if this happened.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Nah. Great point guards shoot 35% from the field and have a negative assist to turnover ratio like Westbrick does against the Mavs and have a fantastic 27% career 3pt %. Westbrick is not a good shooter. You clearly clueless if you think he is. He shot 37% on jumpshots this year. Keep sipping that kool aid and brings some facts. Not assumptions and myths like historical triple doubles in game sevens that Westbrick produces.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

Does Westbrook avoid shooting because he knows how bad he is?  Does Westrbook avoid going to the rim because he will miss a layup or it will get blocked and he will go to the line and be the worst in the league at it?  Does Westbrook think that the black semi-circle on the floor think it is a rainbow?

Westbrook has his faults but at least he tries.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Watching Westbrook a healthy Rondo looks awfully good to me : OKC definitely hasn't played well in this round of the playoffs, but I don't see them firing the coach.  Didn't he win coach of the year recently.   You may be right, but I would be surprised if this happened.  
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

I don't know about the coach of year with Brooks.  It just seems they win and lose too much on talent alone.  There is no reason that team should get behind by as much as they did in game 3 or why they should blow a 15 point lead in 5 minutes.  I agree firing Brooks is a stretch, I just think that team could/should be better.  They are young I suppose.

Game 7 against Memphis, they played a team game, Westbrook was distributing and scoring and it was easily the best game I've seen them play.  If I'm a OKC fan,  I want to know why I'm not seeing more of that approach and less of Westbrook going 1 on 5. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Watching Westbrook a healthy Rondo looks awfully good to me : Is Westbrook today better than Rondo was at age 22?  Vastly superior. In the last 20 years the Spurs have won 5 titles, the Lakers 5, the Bulls 6, the Rockets 2, the Heat, Cs, Pistons..... can you please name the point guards for these teams - you know the kind of "PG of elite championship caliber teams"????  Only Billups and Parker are what I would even call good let alone great.  How about Steve Kerr, BJ Armstrong, blah blah blah...... None of the best point guards in the league will be in the finals. Point guard..... overrated.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

Well if you ignore the NBA today a point guard is overated. However, those who understand basketball know that the game has changed with the no hand checking rules of the last few years and the way the league is protecting from hard fouls Point guard has become of vital importance. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Watching Westbrook a healthy Rondo looks awfully good to me : Does Westbrook avoid shooting because he knows how bad he is?  Does Westrbook avoid going to the rim because he will miss a layup or it will get blocked and he will go to the line and be the worst in the league at it?  Does Westbrook think that the black semi-circle on the floor think it is a rainbow? Westbrook has his faults but at least he tries.

And it is hurting his team. Westbrook is a great talent, but a smart point guard takes what the defense gives. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Watching Westbrook a healthy Rondo looks awfully good to me : A true point guard?  If you ignore that scoring, shooting, getting to the line and making 85% and making 3s as part of what a true point guard is, yeah I guess Rondo is a true point guard.

A true point guard if you look at scoring 12 points a game, defense a defensive player of the year candidate assists second in the league in a slow paced offense and rebounding above average for his position. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Watching Westbrook a healthy Rondo looks awfully good to me : Well if you ignore the NBA today a point guard is overated. However, those who understand basketball know that the game has changed with the no hand checking rules of the last few years and the way the league is protecting from hard fouls Point guard has become of vital importance. 
    Posted by jtkl[/QUOTE]

Again.... none of the best point guards will be in the finals.  None of the best ones have been in the finals for many years.

p.s. if you think handchecking rules have eliminated handchecking you would not be pontificating about how much you know about basketball.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Watching Westbrook a healthy Rondo looks awfully good to me : With Rondo OKC would not be where they are and would average about 20 fewer points per game. Rondo's inability to shoot is why is not a true point guard unless you are distinguishing between true point guard and complete point guard. By the time Westbrook is 25, he will be vastly superior to Rondo in every facet of the game, in my opinion he already is. You may recall a time when Paul Pierce was considered by many on this board, etc. to be a ball hog and would isolate against someone on what seemed like every play.  Paul said to himself, if I pass the ball we will very likely not score and most likely turn the ball over but if I don't pass we will likely score and I will get to the free throw line...............

I'm not going to get into the hypotheticals of "where would this team be with that guy", it is a waste of time.  Look no further than the OKC bench, Perkins was so valuable to the Celtics but just doesn't fit in OKC.  Saying Rondo on OKC or Westbrook on Boston is apples and oranges.  You don't like Rondo, fine but still be realistic, he is an all-star and brings things to the table other guys don't.  His lack of a shot is definitely an achilles heel.

As I said in an earlier post, for 7 years, in the right situation, I'd take Westbrook too but in these play-offs he has shown he still has a lot of growing to do as a player and that he is not ready to lead a team to the finals, something Rondo has done.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

Westbrook is 3 years younger than Rondo, only been in the league 2 years, and he's already a 2nd team All-NBA selection. Plus, he's still learning the PG position (see: C. Billups).

People are already talking about limiting Rondo's minutes next year to preserve him down the stretch. Are you kidding me? Rondo is only 25 years old! Not 35! Look at how many minutes Rose plays and how much he carries the Bulls.

I love Rajon but he is too fragile (both mentally and physically). Westbrook is 2 inches taller, has almost 20 lbs on RR, and is not afraid to take it to the rim. You get him with the Celts and have him coached by Doc and his upside is greater than Rondo's. 

Unfortunately OKC will never make this trade because, like me, I think they would rather take their chances with a gunner than a diva.

Sections
Shortcuts